PDA

View Full Version : History and Evolution of the MMO!

kennymack007
10-05-2014, 02:56 PM
My latest work. Hit that Like button!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAWVWj44jb8&feature=youtu.be

sox7d
10-05-2014, 04:40 PM
Pretty excited to watch this once I get home.

skorge
10-06-2014, 11:08 AM
watched it, good job bro...only thing I would have done differently is i would have talked about how DAOC was the first to really focus on pvp in MMOs and how WOW was the first to focus on casual gamers....to me u need to talk about these 2 games a bit more. But you got everything else right.

khanable
10-06-2014, 11:44 AM
You also need to mention how AO was basically the best MMO ever made, second only to classic UO and classic EQ - and drop some eve love in there. Never played it but people get raging boners over how sandboxy it is.

kennymack007
10-06-2014, 11:46 AM
yeah I totally forgot about eve and the comic books ones. I had already spent over 8 hours on the video and just wanted to get it out the door before i never finished it, LOL. I will make another one next week maybe to talk about some more in-depth features that MMOs brought to the table

khanable
10-06-2014, 11:48 AM
It's definitely a great start and I thoroughly enjoyed it - great work

Also did AC really have no music in the game? I tried to toy around with that game back when and I could have sworn there was in game music :x

Portasaurus
10-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Really enjoyed this. I gotta say, between this and the other guy rolling noob on red, the P99 community has been stepping up their vid game lately with some pro editing skills! Do you mind sharing what program(s) you used to record, edit, mark-up and put that together? I hope to have a lot of free time this winter and would love to take a stab at something like this...

Cool stuff!!

Arkaan
10-06-2014, 12:57 PM
MMO's fell almost as quickly as they rose. As a result of things like over commercialization and RMT. As the old RPers were replaced by modern gamers. As high fantasy was replaced with max gimmickry. No one cares about character persona, only phat lewtZ.

The part about RP vs phat lewtz isn't really an argument, people may play however they wish. But I think there was a shift in need and this is what invited the monster of commercialization and RMT that IMHO robbed the MMO of it's luster.

Estu
10-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Pretty cool video. I'd never heard of Meridian 59; EQ was my first MMO, although I've heard of UO and had friends who were into MUDs, DAOC, and AC. What were the differences between Meridian 59 and classic EverQuest, exactly?

skorge
10-06-2014, 02:17 PM
Really enjoyed this. I gotta say, between this and the other guy rolling noob on red, the P99 community has been stepping up their vid game lately with some pro editing skills! Do you mind sharing what program(s) you used to record, edit, mark-up and put that together? I hope to have a lot of free time this winter and would love to take a stab at something like this...

Cool stuff!!

I do graphic and video work for a living. I use Photoshop, After Effects and Sony Vegas Pro myself. I prefer PC over Mac. Final Cut Pro is a nice mac program you can use to edit video. I do my main edits with Sony Vegas and transfer those rendered files into After Effects to apply effects (if needed).

For audio I use Steinberg Nuendo (for audio edits and processing). You can technically edit the audio in most video software too but it's not as good.

A cheap digital recorder you can buy is a Zoom H1. I have 2 of those and 2 Rode mics.

kennymack007
10-06-2014, 05:59 PM
It's definitely a great start and I thoroughly enjoyed it - great work

Also did AC really have no music in the game? I tried to toy around with that game back when and I could have sworn there was in game music :x

I only included what music was in at launch with the games. AC probably added music down the road.

kennymack007
10-06-2014, 06:09 PM

Cool stuff!!

I use GIMP for photo editing, It can do anything photoshop can do, and it's free.
For live recording I use OBS, also free.
For editing I use Sony Vegas Pro, also free from pira*COUGH* I mean it's a $600 program.
For Mixing my voice to be smooth like butter, I use Audacity, Also Free.

Gimp can be a pain in the butt to learn. Just need to practice with a lot of tutorial videos.
OBS is pretty straight forward, just look up some guides.
Sony vegas also has a pretty steep learning curve, But once you know what your doing your set.
Audacity is simple. Just use noise removal, Normalize, Compression, Equilization (bass boost), and another normalize before you export. Your voice will sound smooth and full.

Another Note: If you want to only capture the game with as little impact on your computer as possible. Grab DXtory and get the Lagerith lossless codec. You can then set DXtory to record with that codec and have a very minimal hit on your computer performance for quality recording.

Final Note: Most people tend to want to record in 1080p at 60 FPS. That makes for some dumb file sizes to work with. I do everything in 720p at 24fps.

kennymack007
10-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Pretty cool video. I'd never heard of Meridian 59; EQ was my first MMO, although I've heard of UO and had friends who were into MUDs, DAOC, and AC. What were the differences between Meridian 59 and classic EverQuest, exactly?

I just found this today :D

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1016637/Classic-Game-Postmortem-Meridian

WARNING: Turn the sound WAYYY down in the beginning.

paulgiamatti
10-06-2014, 08:24 PM
Cool video - it's crazy to see how much of an improvement EQ graphics were for the time. I'm surprised Shadowbane didn't get an honorable mention though!

iruinedyourday
10-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Holy crap this is really good! Well done!!!!!

iruinedyourday
10-06-2014, 09:03 PM
I use GIMP for photo editing, It can do anything photoshop can do, and it's free.
For live recording I use OBS, also free.
For editing I use Sony Vegas Pro, also free from pira*COUGH* I mean it's a $600 program.
For Mixing my voice to be smooth like butter, I use Audacity, Also Free.

Gimp can be a pain in the butt to learn. Just need to practice with a lot of tutorial videos.
OBS is pretty straight forward, just look up some guides.
Sony vegas also has a pretty steep learning curve, But once you know what your doing your set.
Audacity is simple. Just use noise removal, Normalize, Compression, Equilization (bass boost), and another normalize before you export. Your voice will sound smooth and full.

Another Note: If you want to only capture the game with as little impact on your computer as possible. Grab DXtory and get the Lagerith lossless codec. You can then set DXtory to record with that codec and have a very minimal hit on your computer performance for quality recording.

Final Note: Most people tend to want to record in 1080p at 60 FPS. That makes for some dumb file sizes to work with. I do everything in 720p at 24fps.

guys check out adobe cloud. You can get access to all their software for astronomically low prices these days using their cloud features!

After effects/photoshop/premier all that is like 10-30 bucks a month!

You can do trials too to see how you like the software :)

(I do not work for adobe :P )

Heebee
10-06-2014, 09:15 PM

Not sure I agree with this quote at all:

It was strange to use a home computer as a gaming system in comparison to the nintendo, super nintendo, sega gensis, and local arcades.

I got an Apple //c in 1984... by 1988 I had easily 300+ games. Same thing for the PC I got in 1988. Gaming was already huge on home computers loooong before the Nintendo & SEGA consoles even existed. Apple, Commodore 64, Amigas, etc were all huge gaming machines. Oh... and MUDs pre-date the internet by at least a decade.

kennymack007
10-06-2014, 10:53 PM
Not sure I agree with this quote at all:

I got an Apple //c in 1984... by 1988 I had easily 300+ games. Same thing for the PC I got in 1988. Gaming was already huge on home computers loooong before the Nintendo & SEGA consoles even existed. Apple, Commodore 64, Amigas, etc were all huge gaming machines. Oh... and MUDs pre-date the internet by at least a decade.

I was going off hard sales numbers. I wasn't saying that pc gaming didn't exist, it was just still developing as a major form of entertainment.

zanderklocke
10-06-2014, 11:44 PM
I thought it was a pretty good video.

The timeline part at the end did not have a ton of explanation and a lot of MMO games were left out.

Was Neverwinter Nights on AOL a MMO before Meridian 59?

Potus
10-06-2014, 11:54 PM

You do not begin with the dawn of man, agriculture, and the inherent nerdiness of about 40% of the male population.

They sat in their caves drawing wizards and orcs on the wall, while cool men had sex with women.

kennymack007
10-07-2014, 01:46 AM
You do not begin with the dawn of man, agriculture, and the inherent nerdiness of about 40% of the male population.

They sat in their caves drawing wizards and orcs on the wall, while cool men had sex with women.

lmao