PDA

View Full Version : Why do you play p99

iruinedyourday
10-06-2014, 09:14 PM
I just rolled my 3rd character and he popped up in Qeynos. I did a /w and saw 8 players.

That's why I play p99 - Because some awesome people made a classic EQ server and when I get on, there are 8 of you running around, doing chores and talking to stupid merchants & NPC's that are drunk at the docks, picking fights with other drunk NPC's and I know when I set foot in that glorious zone, West Karana - that among all those awesome NPC farmers and barbarians, will be 8 more awesome Hafllings and Wizards running around fighting spiders and lions.

I love Qeynos and the Karanas. Thank you P99 for letting me enjoy it the way it should be, with other Rogues, Bards & Warriors.

I hope you share your awesome love for EQ because for me, sharing classic feels is the best classic feel you can get :)

Briscoe
10-06-2014, 09:34 PM
I always appreciate someone who embraces the Qeynos/Karanas experience. It's a shame to see someone roll a toon there and promptly beg for a port to WC.

indiscriminate_hater
10-06-2014, 09:37 PM
some day i'll go back to the swamp, running around and bashing things with my fluffy troll. for now, i get my jollies by wiping out mobs and camps that used to own me on live (i kill a lot of sand giants)

omegadot
10-06-2014, 09:45 PM
I transferred money for a random person in Steamfont Mnts today. I played WoW off and on for years through L80 or something and never had an interpersonal thing like that occur.

That about sums it up.

Xelnos21
10-06-2014, 09:50 PM
I play because I was three and missed out on the entire experience. My first MMO was BC WoW. I've always wanted to go back to the hardcore days, so I've been giving this a go.

indiscriminate_hater
10-06-2014, 10:35 PM
I was three and missed out on the entire experience.

filthy casual

Xelnos21
10-06-2014, 10:38 PM
filthy casual

the worst part is i don't know how to get my xbox controller working with the game

Cunyar
10-06-2014, 11:57 PM
There's a certain charm that comes with starting in Qeynos. I rolled a druid on live back in the day, and promptly drown in Surefall Glade. I was a human, it was night, and I walked into the little moat around the druid guild.

I played EQ because my friends did; we started together, and ended together, camping in the same zone that we originally started in. I played WoW for a couple years, and not once did I feel the comradery that I did when I played EQ on Vallon Zek.

Charak
10-07-2014, 12:16 AM
Qeynos Aqueducts are such a great place to level a new character. Lots of good newbie items and you get to work on your swimming skills. The quest involving beggar wyllins severed head also gives decent exp

Borak
10-07-2014, 12:17 AM
The Qeynos area is the proper place to start because it has the true newbie dungeon, Blackburrow. Oh sure, people love Crushbone, but Crushbone is basically a 2D dungeon, no layers to it except for the castle area. Blackburrow is just a mess of layers and tunnels, a true 3D dungeon; and the trains are glorious. Plus South Qeynos has that bulletin board / post-it board that some people tried to use way back in 1999 haha!

Quick edit: Qeynos Hills also teaches you about the subtleties of factions. See: Holly Windstalker.

webrunner5
10-07-2014, 09:14 AM
I play a lot of here because I am retired, 67 years old, and have the time to do it. I am a alt freak and have 24 of them all geared. About half are twinks now that I have been on here from about mid 2010. Made ,and still do at times, a TON of money with my Druid.

I Love killing Goblins and Skelly's. Hate underwater zones for some reason. Got in a rut on here doing the same sort of fast progression thing that I got bored leveling my alts.

So one day just said I was going to try a lot of new zones good ZeM or not. And to try them on a Ranger. Now you know that is a recipe for disaster, but a REAL challenge for sure. :p To say the least it has been interesting. :eek: I suggest some of you start a new alt and just go to zones maybe you have never even been to or one it has been a long time since being there. Obliviously some classes work out better for that sort of thing than others, but either way, easier mode or holy crap mode, I find it has revived my interest on here. :)

Arkaan
10-07-2014, 09:55 AM
I play P99 because
A: I like classic EQ
B: It's F2P with no ads and no RMT!!! <-----

I can spend a month getting 1 level if I want to, or take a break and play some old console games and not have to worry about subscriptions.

I like being able to take all the time I want just messing around with factions or simply exploring.

I need to donate though. I know it costs $ to operate these servers. I plan on donating soon.

Arkaan
10-07-2014, 10:02 AM
I play a lot of here because I am retired, 67 years old, and have the time to do it. I am a alt freak and have 24 of them all geared. About half are twinks now that I have been on here from about mid 2010. Made ,and still do at times, a TON of money with my Druid.

I Love killing Goblins and Skelly's. Hate underwater zones for some reason. Got in a rut on here doing the same sort of fast progression thing that I got bored leveling my alts.

So one day just said I was going to try a lot of new zones good ZeM or not. And to try them on a Ranger. Now you know that is a recipe for disaster, but a REAL challenge for sure. :p To say the least it has been interesting. :eek: I suggest some of you start a new alt and just go to zones maybe you have never even been to or one it has been a long time since being there. Obliviously some classes work out better for that sort of thing than others, but either way, easier mode or holy crap mode, I find it has revived my interest on here. :)

Sounds like me. I rolled a char for each class, each with a different race (except 2 human) and vowed to stay in each races newbie areas or starting zones and branch out from there.

So far I've hit Befallen, OOT, and Kerra Ridge. None of which I have really ever hunted before. Although Kerra Ridge is sort of a curiosity. Noone ever goes there! Only people I saw were just popping in for a quest and then left. I have never seen multiple noobs grouped up in Kerra Ridge ever on here or live lol

Velerin
10-07-2014, 10:29 AM
I just rolled my 3rd character and he popped up in Qeynos. I did a /w and saw 8 players.

That's why I play p99 - Because some awesome people made a classic EQ server and when I get on, there are 8 of you running around, doing chores and talking to stupid merchants & NPC's that are drunk at the docks, picking fights with other drunk NPC's and I know when I set foot in that glorious zone, West Karana - that among all those awesome NPC farmers and barbarians, will be 8 more awesome Hafllings and Wizards running around fighting spiders and lions.

I love Qeynos and the Karanas. Thank you P99 for letting me enjoy it the way it should be, with other Rogues, Bards & Warriors.

I hope you share your awesome love for EQ because for me, sharing classic feels is the best classic feel you can get :)

Pretty much the same. EQ really died with PoK since no one ever had to sit in a city anymore. Before I found p1999 I logged onto EQ live after some 10 years or so and everything felt so empty. Logging onto p1999 last year and actually seeing people running around cities won it for me.
Also a huge thing for me is no boxing. All of these people begging for boxing and "its classic". It was a tiny minority of players. With p1999 and free accounts and fast computers, everyone would be boxing every camp available. It would double or triple the amount of content being enveloped my powerleveling. It would greatly reduce the amount of player-player interaction. It would easily ruin the classic experience of the server in no time.

Arkaan
10-07-2014, 10:40 AM
Boxxing IMO is just an adaptation for a dying MMO. P99 is thriving and thus there is no need to tolerate boxxing.

sox7d
10-07-2014, 01:44 PM
Because every MMO I've tried in the last 5 years consisted of press all your buttons and watch things die while your health an mana never fall below 80% and almost all attempts to actively group with other players have been failures. (BUT U CAN GRUP AT LV 20 IN FFXIV, DO WOW INSTANCE Q, <MMORPG> HAS AWESOME COMBAT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO WALK OUT OF RANGE OF CHARGE UP ATTAX)

arsenalpow
10-07-2014, 01:56 PM
I play because BDA has created a legit online community inside p99. I've met a lot of them irl and we play other games that aren't EQ together. Sometimes EQ is tolerable too.

Esheon
10-07-2014, 02:27 PM
I logged back into eqLive a few months ago... first, I tried my old shaman... went to some newbie zones to buff noobs... empty. Created a new character, went through the tutorial, ended up with better gear than my old shaman had at 40. Discovered mercenaries, made a paladin and wizard 2-box team with a cleric and rogue merc. I blasted through content, and in a day or 2 my level 20 duo had better gear than my shaman was currently wearing, and I had only grouped once (after blind-inviting a guy who was killing the same mobs for what I thought was the same quest). That was enough, I logged out and didn't go back.

A friend clued me in to p99, and when I logged in here I found exactly what I was looking for. People actually GROUP here! Dying actually sets you back (in most other MMOs I use death as a means of quick travel). People have actual conversations! Hell, I spent four hours sitting at the noob lift in GFay buffing noobs and chatting with a shaman that was doing the same thing.

Before this, I was playing SWtOR and duoing instances just to make them challenging. Hell, my Powertech tank there STARTED the game with a pocket healer pet, and my Operative healer went from 50-55 (cap) in a day and a half of fairly casual play. The only chat that happened was fight prep and mid-fight directions, and SWtOR is not alone in that.

So, I guess the tl;dr version of all that is "community".

Shodo
10-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Reasons I play:

Classic EQ is more enjoyable than any other MMO I've tried recently, and P99 has the best (and largest) community of all the emu options. Reading RP posts from Juntsie, Filbus and others keeps me hooked aswell ;P

Reason I don't play:

I haven't had internet access for about a month now :(

rotenvok
10-07-2014, 03:43 PM
I played EQ in 1999-2000, but as casual, very casual, didnt see much content, by that time I quit for some familiar problems. Trolls and Iksars were just awesome races for me, as kid i saw iksars the most cool-evil race, and trolls were funny, fat, dirty but pure evil, love them. About the people: helping eachother, lot of funs, some flames between guilds, traveling in boats, spending time together, a lot of social interacion.

Then I went WOW years later, while WOTLK: I join an instance, people dont say ONE DAMNED WORD. kill kill kill kill, like as we are in a chicken factory. Instance ends, leaving without saying a simple "Goodbye". I removed WOW and now im back to P99, and is almost exactly like the old times.

Apologize grammar fails, english is not my native language.

iruinedyourday
10-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Reading RP posts from Juntsie, Filbus and others keeps me hooked aswell ;P

:D

ripwind
10-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Quick edit: Qeynos Hills also teaches you about the subtleties of factions. See: Holly Windstalker.

I'd argue that WC has it's own version of that - Kizdean Gix.

One of the biggest mis-cons in the game. To this day I avoid him with my 55 mage due to the constant abuse my human druid and wood elf ranger suffered at his hands.

Other than that, I play to stare at dark elf asses.