PDA

View Full Version : Open source question

Noselacri
10-09-2014, 09:50 AM
I want to play classic EQ again, but I can't enjoy playing just one character. It's simply too boring and mechanically primitive. Unfortunately, this is literally the only classic server of worthwhile quality in existence, so there are no options short of building one yourself which, let's face it, is out of the question. Last time I checked, the only open source platform available was PEQ whose stock code and database is extremely basic and wildly improvised. Is this still the only recourse or has something playable been made open source in the last couple of years?

Estu
10-09-2014, 10:20 AM
This doesn't answer your actual question, but have you played a bard or enchanter? Both are very complex and active classes who I would not in any way call boring or mechanically primitive.

Izzni
10-09-2014, 11:01 AM
I believe Project 1999 is based on PEQ with a very customized database and many server code customizations.

There was talk that after the things had run its course the Project 1999 that things would be made available. That's probably 5 years away at least though. I'm guessing the reasoning behind keeping it under wraps is that they don't want to splinter the playerbase.

Estu
10-09-2014, 11:06 AM
I believe Project 1999 is based on PEQ with a very customized database and many server code customizations.

There was talk that after the things had run its course the Project 1999 that things would be made available. That's probably 5 years away at least though. I'm guessing the reasoning behind keeping it under wraps is that they don't want to splinter the playerbase.

I think also it's about not wanting to spoil the content by making all of the mechanics, loot tables, ZEMs, and so on visible to the public.

baalzy
10-09-2014, 11:17 AM
Talk to Jeremy (quido is his forum handle). He's working on this: http://classiceverquest.org/

No idea how far along it is.

Thulack
10-09-2014, 11:26 AM
This doesn't answer your actual question, but have you played a bard or enchanter? Both are very complex and active classes who I would not in any way call boring or mechanically primitive.

Personally for me playing live up til 2012 playing classic again is playing at a snails pace basically. If OP played on live for awhile there were tons of hotkeys and activated abilities and such that kept you busy. Even bards and chanters in classic don't really stack up to modern day button clicking and staying active.

Izzni
10-09-2014, 12:11 PM
EQ is slow game that allows for socialization. The gameplay wasn't what I enjoyed. The chatting with people for 6 hours while exp grinding, and the joy of finally getting that god damn rare spawn that you were after was what I loved. The intense min/max raiding on P1999 is frankly something that didn't commonly exist in my experience on live until Velious.