PDA

View Full Version : Its that time again -Tech Discussion Needs YOU

gotrocks
10-16-2014, 10:46 AM
Yes you, the one clicking refresh or hitting F5 on your keyboard all day. Stop waiting for that troll to respond and go answer a half page or so worth of Technical Discussion threads. Don't think you know much about technical stuff? Visit the forum and start reading. Most Tech Discussion questions are pretty simple to answer, a bit of critical thinking and some trial and error will get you to an answer. And similar questions are asked all the time, so once you've nailed down a solution it can often be applied elsewhere. You can contribute in a big way - everytime you give someone a working solution, you are almost always adding a +1 to the server population. Once you've answered several hundred of these like many of our resident tech gurus, you can confidently say that you've helped increase the server population in a big way. And these threads often get searched for and viewed multiple times, so that help can extend far beyond the person you were initially helping.

But wait, 'Tech Gurus'? Several hundred posts? Why does that forum need help if terms and numbers like these exist?

Many of us who put months or even years into regularly checking and ensuring these threads were being answered have left the game or become too busy for this task. I know that my family and a new career has kept me far from p99 and helping people get their clients working, others burn out or simply move on, but the Technical Discussion board needs constant attention because there will always be people who cant get their clients working. With each answered question a new solution is added to the boards forever, and a new player can start up, or an old one return, to the joys of classic Everquest. It doesnt take much, and these people need YOUR help!

So what do you do if you want to reach out and touch a young P99ers heart... err, eqclient?

All you need to do to start fixing clients and granting wishes is read the Tech Board every day, or as often as possible. Check into as many threads as you can, read what others post. Look at old tech threads with lots of replies. We've had nearly 5 years to aggregate answers to problems with running EQ on a variety of software and multiple iterations of that software. Chances are if you dig hard enough you'll find an answer, or at least find yourself on the right track. It won't be long before you start picking up on what works and what doesn't. Pretty soon, you'll be able to answer questions on the fly for a known issue - or begin to problem solve through more difficult tasks when an obvious answer isn't available. More tech savvy users will have an easier time with this, but anyone can do it, all it takes is a little commitment and time and you will be saving people from a meaningless existence without P99. You can be like the hero you've always known you are by taking 15 minutes out of your forumquest to focus on helping others. The more people who participate , the stronger our tech community grows, and the more players we can get into the game. There was once a time when only a select few brave souls would even attempt to dedicate themselves to this task. I hope that time has not returned, and that a new wave of Technical Sages will step up to the challenge of ensuring new and returning players can enjoy P99 just like you do.

I hope that you feel the need to help your server and your community to meet this challenge and do your best to learn how to, and later help, your fellow EQ fans. I will do my best to be around the next day or two in order to answer questions and set an example for up and coming heroes. These yearly recruitment drives tend to drum up a lot of new blood once people realize how important this is, so lets all hit the search feature and figure out why Sad Sam cant run EQ anymore to get deathtouched on his Ranger. Good luck, fellow p99ers, and remember - You can reach out and save a player characters life right now, if you'll just take the time to do so.

gotrocks
10-26-2014, 11:26 PM
Visibility bump - only you can save the population of p99

quido
10-26-2014, 11:40 PM
huh

gotrocks
10-27-2014, 01:02 AM
huh

People who can't get their clients to run usually get sent to tech discussion to figure out how to fix their problem. If no one is actively checking that forum those people will never get the help they need and thus not be able to play. We use to have an extremely dedicated and active technigal team checking on this daily. Nowadays all of us seemed to have faded away. As a result, it has become more difficult for new players to get help getting their clients working. For every technical issue that goes unsolved, thats -1 population. For every issue that does get solved, thats +1 population. This stacks up over time and can quickly mean as many as 25-50 people a week NOT bding added to the server. As a result, people who actively assist others can very honestly state that thry help increase the population on a daily basis. In addition to the personal satisfaction of knowing you are doinh a good deed for the server (as well as rapidly increasing your post count to feach the covetted planar protector status!), the server staff definitely takes notice of this hard work - the last time i needed help with a petition, in this case an item reiumbursement, GM Ephi responded quickly and went the extra mile in handling my petition - specifically citing the aid id given via technical discussion. I felt extremely proud that my hard work had gone noticed by the people who run this server. Earning their recognition and praise, something that doesnt seem to be given lightly, is the highlight of my p99 career and happened multiple times from multiple staff members - including GM Sirken and Senior Guide Ambrotos.

It really doesn't take much to start helping and it's an incredibly rewarding experience. I've had many people stop me in game and thank me for helping them get set up, and its even helped me to find groups and make new friends. If i had more time to dedicate to the project I would most certainly apply it to this endeavor - unfortunately I can't, so instead I create posts like this asking for help from the community to fill the void left by my - and several others - absence. I sincerely hope that this and similar posts are taken seriously, because they really do make a huge difference in the server population.