PDA

View Full Version : Levitate.. what am I doing wrong?

Rompar
10-29-2014, 11:37 AM
Hey guys lately I've noticed when I levitate my character drops like a rock and I'm unable to run across small gaps that others are able to.

I'm not encumbered and I have myself looking straight up when I am trying to levitate across gaps in CoM and stuff. I'm also running Wineq lite

Someone said it was my clip plane.. and someone else said it could be my fps which is currently set to max = 100.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or something similar?

nilbog
10-29-2014, 11:37 AM
You are trying it in first person?

Daldaen
10-29-2014, 11:39 AM
Levitate and Fall damage seem to be specific to your computer. I believe it's frame rate? Some people always sink and some people always die from big drops.

Erati
10-29-2014, 11:40 AM
I always fall/drop when I am tabbed out while levi

Man0warr
10-29-2014, 11:49 AM
When your tabbed out, your video card stops prioritizing that window so your FPS drops which affects Lev.

Also, not sure why you need to run WinEQ - this client in Windowed mode works fine without it.

Rompar
10-29-2014, 11:51 AM
Yes I am trying it in first person.

So if I tab out once.. it will affect my levitate until I reset the client?

I definitely see the frame rate drop when I go to my second monitor but when I tab back it seems fixed.

Man0warr
10-29-2014, 11:55 AM
No, tabbing back in is all that is required.

Thulack
10-29-2014, 12:06 PM
Yes I am trying it in first person.

So if I tab out once.. it will affect my levitate until I reset the client?

I definitely see the frame rate drop when I go to my second monitor but when I tab back it seems fixed.

Correct. If you start running while leved over a large space like say the run from DL tunnel to KC and you tab out or click off to another monitor whatever it will drop the FPS in game and cause you to drop like a brick. No real way to fix that.

Bboboo
10-29-2014, 12:08 PM
Also if in third person view, hold down 'page up' for a second or two.

Byrjun
10-29-2014, 12:14 PM
Same goes for swimming too, if you're swimming "up" and tab out, you'll start sinking like a rock until you tab back in.

Rompar
10-29-2014, 12:23 PM
The gap I've recently had the most problems with in CoM is the house before the jade reaver house upstairs. Super small gap and I can't make it without bard speed.

I've tried looking straight up in first & third person and I'm never tabbed out when trying the gap.

skipdog
10-29-2014, 12:40 PM
Actually WinEQ2 will fix this issue for you completely. You have to set the settings for 'EQPlayNice' and set the 'Background' option to 100 max fps. This will keep your FPS on your windoed EQ client at 100 even while having another window actively in front.

You are all welcome!

Locust
10-29-2014, 12:40 PM
The gap I've recently had the most problems with in CoM is the house before the jade reaver house upstairs. Super small gap and I can't make it without bard speed.

I've tried looking straight up in first & third person and I'm never tabbed out when trying the gap.

has this problem always occurred? like others have said - it's caused by frame rate. setting max fps to 100 only lifts an artificial restriction. if your graphics card can't run the game at 100 fps it wont help. try turning clip plane all the way down, particle effects off, /showname 1 or none, temporarily turn the eq resolution down to 800x600 etc (for when you need to levi over stuff).

Telin
10-29-2014, 01:19 PM
This isn't related really, but I usually play in 3rd person when levitating, but before I use it, I go into first person and look up. then you can easily get down quickly by backing up instead of waiting for it to float down or click it off.

iruinedyourday
10-29-2014, 01:21 PM

wierd, can you fraps it? sounds like you are doing everything correct, I cant imagine why you are falling in that case :(

douglas1999
10-29-2014, 01:43 PM
I always thought it was bizarre that lev mechanics were tied to framerate.. what a strange way to design it.

Rompar
10-29-2014, 02:18 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. There are a few that I haven't tried yet like going in the Wineq settings and changing the frame rate.

If none of this works when I get home I will fraps it I guess.

Portasaurus
10-29-2014, 02:42 PM
I have always played at a frame rate of ~25 or so because I got used to the mouselook response time at that framerate. Increasing it slows down mouselook movement because you have to basically scroll through more frames as you turn. I do not use Win EQ

I never imagined it would have this kind of effect on the game's gravity mechanism, though! I've made the run from DL port to KC probably a hundred times and I've NEVER made it the entire way without having to do the last mile in frogger-mode.

Excited to play with this setting tonight and see if it helps with my lev ability.

Just to be clear... regardless of how kickass of a computer you have, or how high your framerate settings are, you WILL EVENTUALLY FALL TO THE GROUND with lev, right? Like, there's nothing you can do to prevent the gradual drop entirely, right?

GinnasP99
10-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Go first person, tilt your view up by like 20-30 degrees. Zoom back out to third person.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
10-29-2014, 02:59 PM

Are you trying to lev across from one of the upper ramparts to the other (basically around the side of house to avoid the locked door) using one of the "points" along the railing? You won't make it to the other side if you don't go from them.

I use the same trick at the entrance to HS so that you can "see" the target while still being lower than the upper landings.

Also, it's possible to toggle the fps within the options while levitating in order to lev up. Very tricky but if you decrease fps while on the upswing and increase while floating down you'll gain more altitude than you lose. Again, it's tricky but if you practice it you can get it to work.

captnamazing
10-29-2014, 03:09 PM
I have always played at a frame rate of ~25 or so because I got used to the mouselook response time at that framerate. Increasing it slows down mouselook movement because you have to basically scroll through more frames as you turn. I do not use Win EQ

I never imagined it would have this kind of effect on the game's gravity mechanism, though! I've made the run from DL port to KC probably a hundred times and I've NEVER made it the entire way without having to do the last mile in frogger-mode.

Excited to play with this setting tonight and see if it helps with my lev ability.

Just to be clear... regardless of how kickass of a computer you have, or how high your framerate settings are, you WILL EVENTUALLY FALL TO THE GROUND with lev, right? Like, there's nothing you can do to prevent the gradual drop entirely, right?

Not really. I mean, you could do the lev trick where you click off the EQ window at the top of your lev and then click back on until you rise up to as high as you can go, but that's really incremental

Ele
10-29-2014, 03:15 PM
All this non-classic goodness!

Rompar
10-29-2014, 04:39 PM

Very interesting... the whole reason I originally downloaded the wineq was to fix my super slow mouse look while strafing.

Yumyum yes that is the exact spot I'm talking about. I am definitely starting on top of one of the posts to be as high as possible.

Zalaerian
10-29-2014, 05:35 PM
Red wants to welcome blue to window dragging.

GnashingOfTeeth
10-29-2014, 05:37 PM
I have noticed the same, most notably in Dreadlands, on the run to KC.
On live I could run with my level 60 druid with so much height still i could just hover over KC for a long while, on P99, the drop rate does seem more drastic, even with head held up high in 1st person mode. Worth a check.

Just basing that on years and years of running from Dreadlands Druid ring to KC. Played Classic thru Luclin on live.

GnashingOfTeeth
10-29-2014, 05:38 PM
FYI you can lock frame rates on Nvidia cards in the driver advanced tools, I keep my p99 at 29 fps to keep it classic.

Rompar
10-29-2014, 05:58 PM
Well after I got home I tried to levitate a gap in CoM over and over with different settings. Finally changed my eqw lite 2.0 FPS to 100. Now I made the gap easily! That seemed to be the fix I needed. Thanks guys for all the useful information.

baalzy
10-29-2014, 06:51 PM
Red wants to welcome blue to window dragging.

I've heard this before, but I'm still rather behind on Red knowledge. What does window dragging mean?

Thulack
10-29-2014, 08:22 PM
Go first person, tilt your view up by like 20-30 degrees. Zoom back out to third person.

Thats all fine. The issue is with the tabbing out and having the framerate drop. If wineq2 fixes that then cool for the people that want to download it just for that. Thread solved.

Rec
10-29-2014, 08:28 PM
Your fall rate is linked to fps. Slower fps, faster fall rate. Also just because you have it "set" to 100 doesn't mean you're getting that.