PDA

View Full Version : Why so few mages on P99?

Arclyte
10-30-2014, 12:56 AM
I've leveled 2 mages on blue to 40+, and a mage on red to 34

The class is simplistic, but I like the idea of being focused on a really strong pet. Stuff like levi rings, waterstones and the best damage shields are all pretty cool too.

So what's the deal?

Buellen
10-30-2014, 01:04 AM
use to be you could not swing a dead ranger without hitting mage on this server.

Part of it maybe to the mage and for that mater all pet classes requiring to do more than 50 % of damage on target or pet will take half the xp.

Potus
10-30-2014, 01:24 AM
Pets originally got nerfed really hard. Unfairly nerfed, really. Their taunt was gimped. That chased a lot of pet classes away.

Nowadays you see some mages coming back. But really pets don't hit like they did on live. They seem weaker here, I think it's the rate in which they hit for full damage, or the rate in which they proc double attack + dual wield. I recall mage pet being a buzzsaw, and the necro pets not being far behind. Just spamming damage.

On red pets don't even DW without weapons. It's somewhat of a head scratcher.

Flamewraith
10-30-2014, 01:27 AM
I enjoy my mage thoroughly. I often question why there are few of us, a lot of people tell me they just don't like the mechanics. Whatever floats yer boat I guess.

Zulen
10-30-2014, 02:10 AM
I love my mage, but reading about raiding and endgame made me not want to play him. Basically i've read that you just summon Mod rods during a raid unless you have your epic pet... But i never understood how getting epic pet would change your roll in a raid. After all you still cant land your DD's on a boss with high resists.

SyanideGas
10-30-2014, 02:13 AM
a monk on a raid says, "coth me mage" x5,000,000 times
Mage deletes and re-rolls

iruinedyourday
10-30-2014, 02:26 AM
use to be you could not swing a dead ranger without hitting mage on this server.

lolz

Adenis
10-30-2014, 02:31 AM
what is "coth"?

I play a mage and i like it, but i start disliking it reading the forums.

SyanideGas
10-30-2014, 02:38 AM
what is "coth"?

I play a mage and i like it, but i start disliking it reading the forums.

Call of the Hero. Mages are cool regardless, useful for lots of things on raids. :P

Rec
10-30-2014, 03:19 AM
boring class

Clark
10-30-2014, 03:44 AM
Pets originally got nerfed really hard. Unfairly nerfed, really. Their taunt was gimped. That chased a lot of pet classes away.

Mage pets used to be insane. They still real good though.

BarackObooma
10-30-2014, 05:02 AM
I have a 56 mage and do like it although there are plenty of frustrating things.

Raid game you're going to be asked to make dispell staves, mod rods and/or call of the hero. Your DD spells won't stick on anything even with malo.

Epic - forget it unless you're TMO/IB basically. Unless you really want to pay 750,000pp for an earth staff.

Pet nerfs - soloing means you have to kill off your pet each time to avoid the experience penalty. This means gimping your pet (no swords/mask of mardu/buffs) since you're just going to kill it off. This also means having to carry bags and bags of malachite.

Bboboo
10-30-2014, 05:23 AM
I started off as a Mage on this server, was also my main on live back when. The class is just super boring. Pets and Nukes. I guess some summon items?

I just hate that the class has no utility like snare/root/fear. It's scary to solo.

Swish
10-30-2014, 06:40 AM
I think the lack of solo potential (though it is possible) scares people away.

Who'd have thought grouping in an online game would be so frightening? Still a good dps class, try one ;)

Rupertox
10-30-2014, 07:06 AM
i love mages, didnt worked on one yet because ive choiced a wiz because i want to have a porter, but really is the class that all guilds are in need, CoTH is so important, and mod rod will be much more later in the game.

plus is a dps too

Byel
10-30-2014, 07:35 AM
I think there's alot, it's honestly been way to long to remember if pet is worse off then originally but their still very tough. As far as raiding most classes are delegated to a specific role, CoTh and mod rods are very important what's wrong w accepting you have a behind the scenes vital role? Would you rather be a shaman, buff then afk?

As far as 50%, if your not wanting to nuke or med alot it's simple, pet solos mob down you reclaim pet and small nuke the mob for full. Rinse and repeat.

feanan
10-30-2014, 09:16 AM
Lot of people stopped playing their mages when they made the 50% damage thing, because pets were (are?) messed up and a lvl 4 nuke would pull taunt off your pet even if it had done 75% of the damgage.

Daldaen
10-30-2014, 09:26 AM
On this server:

To start Mages were the go to solo class. Pets taunted well, they didn't take any EXP from their owner, easy to solo etc.

Eventually the aggro/taunt on pets broke and a single nuke would pull aggro off your pet. The EXP was fixed so that you lost 50% if your pet does too much. Pets stopped DWing innately because people were zerging PoSky with pets.

Now, the aggro/taunt on pets is fixed. They correctly and classicly innately DW on this server (don't on red but no one plays on red). The only thing is the pets still eat EXP. So you have 2 options:

1. Use a Reclaim Energy clicky every single mob and kill your pet / nuke the mob who is at low HP. Annoying cause you need bags of Malachites, can't weaponize or haste pets, dangerous to kill your pet etc.
2. You duo with another pet class so that you don't have the exp penalty for letting pets kill everything (which ends up being better experience than solo many times due to increased kill rate + no penalty)

Duo with 2 mages or mage/necro or even mage/healer class... Is quite solid.

Bboboo
10-30-2014, 10:10 AM
Who'd have thought grouping in an online game would be so frightening? Still a good dps class, try one ;)

Usually Soloing/Duoing is faster and less of a pain in my experience, also more active.

arsenalpow
10-30-2014, 10:57 AM
Long ago proud herds of magi roamed the plains, but they were hunted into extinction by the white man.

kaev
10-30-2014, 11:02 AM
Long ago proud herds of magi roamed the plains, but they were hunted into extinction by the white man.

Go home to Britannica paleface!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tuljin
10-30-2014, 11:11 AM
The reason there are so few mages on this server is not because of the various nerfs that have happened over the years. It is a combination of the two ends of the spectrum of players here - the pixel-hungry-RMT-style-min/max-permacamp-Tranix-and-King-for-two-months-straight crowd, and the nubs.

The min/maxers roll their Iksar Monks and Ogre Shamans and grief everybody else along the way. Then they sit at Fungi Camp for weeks at a time, griefing everyone else in Seb in OOC, and many of them RMT their loots.

The nubs don't roll mage because its a hard class. You cant root, you have to understand pet XP and pet agro. Many people who roll mage don't make it very far.

The truth is, a good Mage can solo pretty much every cash camp in the game without an epic. Also, a good Mage is a welcome addition to a dungeon group, with an awesome DS, good pet dps, COTH, nukes, clicky staff, and an awesome magic/elemental debuff.

The asinine banter about how much other classes "suck" versus the OP ones is the primary culprit of the low mage/wiz/ran/pal population on this server. Comically enough, the class that gets a really bad rap at higher levels, the Druid, has the highest population on the server, but about as many 60s as Mage.

Its incredibly easy to get a shaman, enc, monk, or cleric to 60 on this server. Classes like Mage where you have to work a bit and think outside the box to move the XP bar are a different story. This is the main reason for the low Mage population. How many Wizards would be 60 if it wasn't for Chardok AOE? Not many.

Bboboo
10-30-2014, 01:03 PM
It could also be Mages are kinda boring to play.

fishingme
10-30-2014, 01:14 PM
Mage is dominately a pet class with a pet that doesn't hold aggro well. An Enchanter can charm an insanely powerful pet for a ridiculous amount of time and when charm breaks its not a problem due to the spells that one has. Mage is only cool now for large badass looking pets and monster summoning come velious.

Velerin
10-30-2014, 01:27 PM
I'm sure lots of people tried and quit mages back when the pet agro was horrible. You could still be very efficient with pet chaining but it made a 1-dimensional class even more 1-dimensional. (pretty much if you nuked once you were tanking)
Mages are awesome solo against single mobs. As soon as you get an add things change fast. A mage must is a stack of root nets, which are relatively cheap but not really feasible for large usage or low to mid levels. CotH becomes a fun skill after you learn how to utilize the agro wipe component.
The most efficient mage solo is the most boring thing in the world. Make fire pet, pull mob, send pet in, med, chain pet if needed, reclaim at end and finish with low level nuke. In a place like OT you can do this with 0 downtime and move the bar pretty quickly. I personally found it much more fun to go into dungeons, utilize different pets, learn how to burn things down and control your pet when you get adds etc.
High level mages can do some decent solo kills and even some that typical "OP" solo artists have trouble with.
I've done:
Efreeti (had help clearing spawns though)
Sebilis bug camps
Undertow
Heirophant (almost.. got him to heal mode that lasted forever then finally ran oom and had to gate)
Black Dire (if something has high MR and doesn't summon a mage can kill better than anyone)

Clark
10-30-2014, 01:29 PM
Root nets, a mages best friend.

Arclyte
10-30-2014, 01:33 PM
Yea, i've got a 40 mage w/ jboots, and a 20 iksar necro w/ jboots/cos

I really like the idea of the mage, but at lvl 20 my necro has so many more options and just feels like a complete class by comparison. Still nothing beats a fully buffed water/air pet smashing shit. It's like 2boxing with a warrior.

Fame
10-30-2014, 02:22 PM
Played a mage mostly solo to 56ish on red. The shit is a joke. The biggest thing about em, and I hear this is fixed but I haven't even bothered testing because fuckmages, is that when you cast a bolt spell (our main line) you are locked out of doing anything, no pumice, no jboots, no other clicks of any kind, or it cancels the spell. Oh yeah, any they are slower than sow, so if someone knows this and wants to be a dick about it, they just run from your bolt for 15 minutes while you chase them and eventually your jboots start to fade so you're in a position of having to click them to keep up the chase but losing your bolt, that's usually when they sneak a spell in on you and then run from your bolt again.

They are pretty good in open solo situations but like others mentioned, adds will fuck your day up. On that same note, someone has to do it..reclaim energy is a fucking waste of a gem slot. See for yourself, the mana reclaimed is based on the HP the pet as at the moment the spell goes off, >5% hp and you don't even get a noticeable tick. Save yourself the hassle and just click go away right before your new pet is summoned. This might not be that big of an issue on blue but on red where preparedness is key to survival it's just not worth it. Learned this bit soloing hill giants in rathe from lvl 34 to 53.
Red plug :lvl 34-53 I often had the place to myself or maybe one or two other players that I was friends with. I killed most of the other people that came into the area.

I think there is something bugged with summoned items now too, last time I logged on the mage if you had summoned items when you camped they would still be there when you relogged, if you touch them tho you go LD as if mages didn't already have enough game breaking fuckfest issues already.

Anything else? Probably but I can't remember and truth be told it was actually pretty fucking painful to write this because I loved my mage, still do, but more of a love like you would have for a retarded child, they're not number 1, but ya still care about em.

BarackObooma
10-30-2014, 02:40 PM
The bolt spells have been fixed. I use the 333 dmg Burnt Wood Staff, cast it (a bolt spell) and can immediately cast another spell and my first bolt still continues.

Note too that aggro has been fixed somewhat. I can start chain casting the click stick from the beginning of the fight and never get aggro even from the 49 fire pet. The 56 fire pet (Dyzil's Deafening Decoy) you can cast regular nukes on if you want, it has very high aggro keeping abilities (ae aggro even).

There is a bug with summoned and temporary items which is being fixed with the next patch. They aren't poofing when you log. I've kept food, bandages, keys, arrows, etc. for weeks.

I've never heard of clicking on them making you go LD. You might want to report that. I read the bug reports and never saw that. I don't know if its your system or a red thing but it's not happening on blue.

I don't know any Mages (other than red I guess) that would waste a spell slot on reclaim energy. Swap in your focus item.

Reclaiming does only give a % of your mana back based on what % of health your pet is at the time so if you are chaining pets, most times you'd want to just stand way back and hit "go away" right before you finish casting a new pet. To be close enough to reclaim you won't be far enough to cast a new pet without getting pummeled.

I have a 58 wizard and when your mana is done, so are you. You also waste a lot of mana when you get aggroed by greenies. With the mage, your pet can do your light work and you can still dps even if you're out of mana. Mages also get the 333 dmg burnt wood staff which sells for less than 2k. Wizards can get a Sololist's Icy Wand that does 38 dmg for 3.5-4k. The shaman's bracer is 20-25k and does like 263 as reference.

Fame
10-30-2014, 03:08 PM
That's actually pretty good news haha, I had abandon all hope for mages.

Tuljin
10-30-2014, 04:44 PM
I don't buy the whole "mage is boring" argument.

I have played with lots of Clerics, and 99% of them do absolutely nothing besides sit and click CH. Absolutely nothing else. I can't imagine that anyone would consider this "not boring", and there are many clerics on the server. Their XP bars are moving with minimal effort, however, and its very easy to get a group. They are not sitting there saying "wow, this is so much fun." They are AFK half the time.

This is also mind numbingly easy. As is root rotting melee mobs with JBB.

Moving the XP on a mage - not easy. Soloing on a mage - certainly not as easy as it is on other classes. I think many people on P99 confuse the words "boring" and "hard"

Tann
10-30-2014, 05:30 PM
Most classes are boring:

Clerics heal, Wizards pew pew, Rogues stab stab, Monks herp derp, Warriors slash slash, etc.. Everyone is either dps, healer, tank, or bard/enc.

Play whatever pew-stab-herp-slash-heal/buff you want.

Tuljin
10-30-2014, 05:40 PM
^^^^ This exactly

iruinedyourday
10-30-2014, 05:58 PM
Most classes are boring:

Clerics heal, Wizards pew pew, Rogues stab stab, Monks herp derp, Warriors slash slash, etc.. Everyone is either dps, healer, tank, or bard/enc.

Play whatever pew-stab-herp-slash-heal/buff you want.

shaman click click

but enchanter... Juggles 50 spinning plates and DOMINATES THE UNIVERSE :D

Estu
10-30-2014, 06:01 PM
Moving the XP on a mage - not easy. Soloing on a mage - certainly not as easy as it is on other classes. I think many people on P99 confuse the words "boring" and "hard"

I don't understand where you're getting that solo EXPing a mage is hard.

1) Go to an outdoor zone and find a safe spot to pull to.
2) Summon fire pet.
3) Send pet at monster.
4) Keep a good distance away from monster. If pet is dying, recast and /pet go away as the new one is about to pop.
5) When mob is fleeing and almost dead, reclaim pet, nuke monster with a cheap nuke, get full EXP, repeat.

It's one of the simplest ways to EXP in the entire game. Maybe if you're high level and trying to do difficult cash camps, there's some strategy required, but for most of the mage's solo EXPing career, it's incredibly simple and easy. I have a lot of alts and my mage is one of the ones that I can just never stand to play for very long because it's so goddamned boring. Even quadding on my wizard was more exciting for some reason (although it's similarly straightforward).

Of course, you could say the same for a lot of classes - a solo monk is very straightforward to EXP. Really, any class other than a bard or a charmer (druid/enchanter/necro) is pretty simple. But some of those other straightforward solo classes (say, shaman or monk) have some interesting things to them. Shaman, even soloing, has to think about whether root-dotting or meleeing makes more sense, has to consider which buffs and debuffs to use, how to use his pet and to what extent it's worth keeping it buffed, is busy cannibalizing a lot of the time, and all of that is solo EXPing. In group situations, shamans juggle a whole lot of roles. Monks, when grouping, have to think about pulling, and there are cool things to learn like sneak pulling and the mechanics of feign death and so on. But mages, both solo EXPing and EXPing in groups, are incredibly one-dimensional, and yes, are easy.

Maybe I'm ignorant - I admit I haven't played mages an enormous amount because I find them so boring. How is solo EXPing a mage difficult and complex? Are you just exclusively doing dungeons when leveling and relying on things like root nets and earth pet for CC? When you say they're hard to EXP, do you mean that they level more slowly than other classes, or that there is actual challenge involved?

iruinedyourday
10-30-2014, 07:24 PM
ok - one very important feature for a mage that seems to be overlooked is... Skittles.. holy crap... skittles... taste the magebow.. the rainbow that is a mage.

What do I mean? I mean an epic mage.. is the coolest looking darkelf (yea cus darkelfs are cooler than all) in eq. look how these pixles add up and let it paint a picture in your mind of the coolest looking bawler on our server, the darkelf mage.

1. Robe of the elements/CT robe - a rainbow in its self, very magical
2. GEB's yea simple, yellow.. magical
2. Gloves of Fire - ok now were getting unique, that bawse ass orange glove?
4. Ip Big ass classy lookin yellow shield
5. Epic - dayum rainbow on a stick?
6. that orange plate hat /drool

that shit, all that together on the blue skin of a dark elf? AWESOME, almost worth the ugly pets (not a fan of the class gameplay tbh) but god damn a mage can look cooler than any other caster, other casters can come close.. but those gloves + the epic.. so purty.

yea so tl;dr mage can look like a bowl of skittles and it is bawse.

Tann
10-30-2014, 07:50 PM
^^^ unless you're in TMO/IB or play on R99 acquiring said mage epic is about as easy as having a 3-way with a couple Kpop idols on a plane going into space piloted by NDT who is also having a 3-way.

iruinedyourday
10-30-2014, 07:53 PM
^^^ unless you're in TMO/IB or play on R99 acquiring said mage epic is about as easy as having a 3-way with a couple Kpop idols on a plane going into space piloted by NDT who is also having a 3-way.

well yea i know but the dream is alive hehe

also - the epic u still have those orange gloves and dont have to buy a CT robe :)

uygi
10-30-2014, 08:30 PM
The epic is probably the biggest thing. So many mages have cried so many tears over their epic. Biggest strength of mage IMO is the epic- aside from being an absolute beast, they're mana free once item is summoned, you can always keep one in reserve and you can corpse some extras for emergencies. It isn't even a TMO/IB thing at all; if every single Innoruuk was permanently class R, there would still be a terrible shortage. That shit is just rare. I bought mine for 167k and feel like I got the bargain of the century; I can't imagine getting one that cheap now.

mr_jon3s
10-30-2014, 11:28 PM
Your gonna see a surge of mages when/if the planes revamp comes out. Mage epic is one of the best epics because its a spell so you always have it.

Biggest reasons people don't play mages is boring and no mana regen sustain. Enchanters get clarity and necros get lich with lifetap. Mages get mod rods and phantom armor life regen.

Also mages declined like this on live till PoP when they got AA's and 60+ pets that were better then the epic.

HeallunRumblebelly
10-30-2014, 11:45 PM
Your gonna see a surge of mages when/if the planes revamp comes out. Mage epic is one of the best epics because its a spell so you always have it.

Biggest reasons people don't play mages is boring and no mana regen sustain. Enchanters get clarity and necros get lich with lifetap. Mages get mod rods and phantom armor life regen.

Also mages declined like this on live till PoP when they got AA's and 60+ pets that were better then the epic.

Mages will get more popular when they can reasonably attain their epic after the hate revamp (earth staff drops from mini, 8hr respawn, guaranteed).

Tann
10-31-2014, 12:47 AM
I think some would come back if they "fixed" the 50% exp crap, while fire/reclaiming may be effective for leveling I'd much rather use a pet I wanted too, weaponized it, buffed it, and healed it while it did its work.

^^ much more interesting to me then clicking my focus items.

Tasslehofp99
10-31-2014, 01:04 AM
Mages are awesome if you can learn to deal with the lack of control you have. I mean, not having root is terrible even with a pet.

I love my mage though, he is super useful.

Pyrion
10-31-2014, 04:06 AM
I love mages. But pet taunt is totally broken on this server, so much that it doesn't even exist anymore. Its enough to spit at a mob to turn it away from the pet. I admit that a pet taunt should not be as good as a warriors, but c'mon... no pet taunt at all means that a mage can almost never use his/her nukes. The pet xp problem is easily solved by duoing, but the neccessity to reclaim pets all the time is very uncool while solo. Even if you want to outdamage your pet with nukes, you can't because pet taunt is broken and mages have no means to mitigate damage like nekros have.

So the only efficient way to solo is: Summon fire pet, recast and reclaim when low, repeat. You are unable to solve the pet variation problem like any other pet caster. The most pet focused class needs to kill his pet all the time. That's a bit fucked up.

Snagglepuss
10-31-2014, 12:53 PM
The key to being an effective high level solo mage is carrying a 10 slot bag or more of wooly spider nets and in conjunction, fully utilizing CotH to split camps and such.

Mages in general are very one dimensional, but with some creativity, you are much more than semi afk sustained damage and clicky bolts or a mod rod and coth bot.

Raev
10-31-2014, 02:20 PM
I don't know. I think Magician is a hugely underrated class, and a lot of the problem is that they are one of the worst played classes on the server. Like a lot of mages I see don't even resummon until they get a max pet or let Burnout wear off or they let damage shield fade on the tank etc. Also as Merrius says root nets are huge (root, run away, coh yourself and you can split basically any XP camp). Pet chaining requires more than one click for /pet attack but its quite strong.

I don't think Magicians have a fantastic raid role, but people love rogues (stand in back of mob, hit backstab key) and clerics (count to 5, cast complete heal). COH is a tremendous pulling tool and not just a "oh I am too lazy to /q" thing. Pets do solid damage by themselves, and mod rods are disgustingly overpowered (plus there are some cool things to do there!).

As I have stated before, I think the Magician Epic is a bit overrated. Sure, it's awesome. But it's not like you can't get by without it, whether you are solo, grouping, or raiding.

baalzy
10-31-2014, 02:27 PM
I love mages. But pet taunt is totally broken on this server, so much that it doesn't even exist anymore. Its enough to spit at a mob to turn it away from the pet. I admit that a pet taunt should not be as good as a warriors, but c'mon... no pet taunt at all means that a mage can almost never use his/her nukes. The pet xp problem is easily solved by duoing, but the neccessity to reclaim pets all the time is very uncool while solo. Even if you want to outdamage your pet with nukes, you can't because pet taunt is broken and mages have no means to mitigate damage like nekros have.

So the only efficient way to solo is: Summon fire pet, recast and reclaim when low, repeat. You are unable to solve the pet variation problem like any other pet caster. The most pet focused class needs to kill his pet all the time. That's a bit fucked up.

Have you played recently? Pet taunt might not be up to classic level but it is actually pretty significant. I can pull with darkness, send my pet on it and my pet will get immediate hate. I can then cast 1-2 more dots and the mob will still usually stay on my pet and as long as I'm not right up in the mobs grill my pet will have hate back well before the mob reaches me. Even if I sit.

And at the higher levels pet chaining was a necessity anyways for a mage, so the only difference is instead of holding onto the most recently summoned one if it was at full HP, they have to ditch it before the kill.

webrunner5
10-31-2014, 02:36 PM
I know I have not played my Mage hardly at all since the Pet Nerf. And that was along time ago. But, they can still kill faster or as fast as most other classes on here even eating the damn XP penalty.

And you hardly need any gear on the Mage to be half good. Only bummer to me is the damn research spells for them at times. Since few people play them now very few people bother to make research spells for them in the tunnel.

I will admit they get boring as hell at times, but they still are a damned good class overall. Just remember to have Gate ready to go at all times lol. :eek:

Tuljin
10-31-2014, 04:43 PM
Maybe I'm ignorant - I admit I haven't played mages an enormous amount because I find them so boring. How is solo EXPing a mage difficult and complex? Are you just exclusively doing dungeons when leveling and relying on things like root nets and earth pet for CC? When you say they're hard to EXP, do you mean that they level more slowly than other classes, or that there is actual challenge involved?

The fact that a Mage can't root makes it more difficult than the other soloing classes first of all. The pets are also weaker than the charmed Enc or Nec pets. Also, there is no AOE stun and AOE mez at their disposal to deal with adds. When you get into soloing/breaking cash camps, it requires a lot of finesse with a limited toolset to help with adds and other problems. Charmed pets present their own set of challenges, however without root nets Mage can do very little about adds. Necros and Encs have way more options.

The other reason why its hard to move the bar is because nobody wants a Mage in a group. There are many enchanters who hit 60 that never solo at all - - in fact they don't even charm pets in groups. However, they can post up anywhere and get a group very quickly, and they end up riding the xp train all the way to 60. Same with Shamans. Same with Monks and Clerics. This difficulty moving the bar has less to do with skill than it does the general ignorance and OP-class-fanboys of the server.

People don't want Mages in groups because, as Raev said, they are horribly played. Why are they horribly played? Because they are hard to play well. If it were easy you'd see way more lvl 60 Mages, and you'd see way more Mages around kicking ass. Even these days you can hit 56 and AOE train to 60 if you really want, but the majority of DPS in Chardok are Wizards. There are plenty of great Mages who have chimed in on this thread, and it definitely takes a good bit of skill to get shit done.

The thread is "why so few mages." There are a ton of 60 Shamans, Clerics, and Enchanters on this server because it is ~easier~ to hit than it is on Mage. There are more options for moving the XP bar, and you don't get griefed the entire way.

For a number of reasons, its difficult to get a Mage to 60. I think most players would agree that nubs need not apply.

Vyal
10-31-2014, 06:40 PM
Ask someone who knows what happens to all the mages...
They play forever get bored then join a guild who has the ability to go after every FFA Inny and get their staff. Once they get their epics they just quit playing, thats what happens to the mages.

The mage epic is boss. Let me put it this way, you can take the mage epic into solb solo and wreck all the imps and banish the ele's then solo frooti without all the fancy debuffs and dots shamans have. Totally 100% beast pet..

A skilled mage can literally single pull anything in the game. I don't care what it is, it can be single pulled through an entire zone. Mages are also the best class for making trains :D
I know lots of guilds rather have a bard or monk or a freaking ranger pull mobs but thats kinda dumb, in the end the puller might end up dying 5 times before they even get the mob. Or you could work your pull team around a mage tag coh pull & have it first shot.

I mean what so hard about making a lvl 4 fire pet tagging a mob say Talendor, run back to your group have it attack once it's in sight coh and have the tank run in or if there is adds have someone sneak tag it out.

Mages are a bit complicated and very expensive to play but once you got it down, high level mages are beast. Toss in that epic pet if your lucky enough to have one & you have a unmatched DPS, God/Dragon puller class / CoH machine...

Plus you can put your water pets on guard next to a mob have it attack then hit back then attack again and it will backstab non-stop toss in it's proc and give it two 100+ dmg proc weapons. Your pets doing something like 1k dmg every 10 seconds or so =)

Zulen
10-31-2014, 07:34 PM
Plus you can put your water pets on guard next to a mob have it attack then hit back then attack again and it will backstab non-stop toss in it's proc and give it two 100+ dmg proc weapons. Your pets doing something like 1k dmg every 10 seconds or so =)

I cant try this on live, but i couldn't get it to work on the Beta server. Water pet didnt backstab any faster like i'd hope.

Swish
10-31-2014, 07:44 PM
btw nice sig Arclyte, wondered why this image had such a spike in usage :D

http://www.coh2.org/topic/24610/it-s-time-to-nerf-okw-late-game

Vyal
10-31-2014, 08:30 PM
I cant try this on live, but i couldn't get it to work on the Beta server. Water pet didnt backstab any faster like i'd hope.

It works on p99 but of course it needs to be behind the mob not only will it backstab more often but it's weapons and pet proc will happen more often.

Arclyte
11-01-2014, 12:14 AM
btw nice sig Arclyte, wondered why this image had such a spike in usage :D

http://www.coh2.org/topic/24610/it-s-time-to-nerf-okw-late-game

lol, I forgot where I got it from. It was too good not to use.

webrunner5
11-01-2014, 10:18 AM
My Mage is not too high, but I have been in groups in KC, Seb where the mage has taken on a add solo by themselves and nearly killed the add solo as fast or faster than the rest of the group killing the original pull has. They can kick ass when needed if played well. :)