PDA

View Full Version : Charm Kiting

Doil_Boil
11-04-2014, 11:08 AM
In order to get full solo exp, do the mobs need to be killed in any certain order after breaking charm? IE. Your pet first?

Daldaen
11-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Once charm is broken, order is irrelevant.

Konu
11-04-2014, 11:35 AM
I have a question regarding charm kiting, particularly at ~level 14 for a Druid.

I have read some guides on the wiki and tried over and over to get the hang of it, but it seems like two things always happen when I'm trying to charm kite:
a) The snare I put on my charmed animal wears off before charm breaks
b) The charm breaks before my charmed animal kills my target, even blue con vs. blue con

It just never works out for me. I assume it's because I'm level 15 and as such, my first charm spell has a short duration? Will this be easier later on, i.e. will the charm spell last longer? Any advice?

Daldaen
11-04-2014, 11:41 AM
Snare shouldn't be an issue just keep SoW on and you can outrun anything and resnare.

Low level charming is rough but it gets way better. Charm dark blues always. Higher stuff will break way too easily.

You never want to let your pet kill a mob, nor do you want to let your pet die. The goal is to ALWAYS break your pet (with hide or Camo) when they are both at around 5-10% HP, then to nuke them dead at that point. It will take a bit to get used to breaking charm at the proper time. Hide fails to break invis a lot, and Camo has a cast time so factor both of those into when you want to be ready to break.

Try to pick mobs that are even so that when you break both are low. If you cannot do this, and one is at 70% and the other is at 10%, break charm, kill the 10% one, then charm another mob and have it fight the 70% one. Snare him as needed if he is causing issues.

Doil_Boil
11-04-2014, 11:41 AM
Konu, I would advise not using snare until you've got Ensnare which should last the full length of a fight. You not want your charmed animal to kill the target. You want to break charm before that happens and then kill them both with, say, Ignite.

I had been told that you needed to kill your pet first. Guessing that's untrue.

Konu
11-04-2014, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll keep trying.

Estu
11-04-2014, 04:00 PM
It's also crucial to target LOW blue monsters rather than HIGH blue monsters. How to get a feeling for this - if you see a bunch of monsters with the same name and some are green and some are blue, then the blue ones are probably close to green. If you see an occasional even con, then the blue ones with the same name are probably high blues. Sometimes you can also tell by the text when you con the monster; low blue versus high blue sometimes give you different messages.

Low blues will resist your spells way, way less than high blues. Charm will be much more reliable on them.

Druid charming is excellent EXP from the get-go at level 14. Once you get the hang of it you'll see that it's incredibly fast leveling.

Konu
11-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Really helpful everyone, thank you.

hynch
11-05-2014, 01:11 AM
I just got 14 on my druid and was wondering where the best charm spot is at? I tried Oasis but the player to caiman ratio is pretty abysmal.

mr_jon3s
11-05-2014, 01:48 AM
Some of the best exp you can get at 14 is two druids charm duoing in oasis. Can try the karanas.

Estu
11-05-2014, 10:41 AM
East Karana is amazing for druid charming from level 14 until 20ish.

Korben
11-05-2014, 11:07 AM
Also, the 5-10% thing is kind of just baseline. I try to break charm so that I can kill them both with just one moderate cost nuke. For example in HS I would always break it about 4% so that lifetap would 1 hit them and heal me too.

It is a major help to not spend excess mana finishing the mobs off.

Estu
11-05-2014, 12:00 PM
Also, the 5-10% thing is kind of just baseline. I try to break charm so that I can kill them both with just one moderate cost nuke. For example in HS I would always break it about 4% so that lifetap would 1 hit them and heal me too.

It is a major help to not spend excess mana finishing the mobs off.

DoTs are also more efficient than nukes so it's generally a better idea to finish mobs with a cheap DoT than a cheap nuke.

Korben
11-05-2014, 12:02 PM
DoTs are also more efficient than nukes so it's generally a better idea to finish mobs with a cheap DoT than a cheap nuke.

Absolutely agree here, only drawback is if the mobs are coming at you it can be a pain in the dick to DoT them both and kite while the DoT only ticks for 2/3 plus you're running around waiting for the DoT to run it's course instead of medding.