PDA

View Full Version : Let's get Boogie2988 to play P99

Portasaurus
11-24-2014, 08:21 PM
I feel like we need to make a big, coordinated effort to get Boogie2988 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZhAdmaqyT4) to play here.

I first learned of Boogie2988 when he cancelled on a Brad McQuaid interview during the big Pantheon push earlier this year. Someone hilariously commented on some message board somewhere "you know it's bad when 'boogie2988' cancels on you" [spit-take!]

At that moment, I needed to know more about this boogie 2988 guy. I mean, he has a terrible channel name with 4 numbers at the end, and also somehow has the influence to get an interview with the creator of Everquest. Additionally, who -- with a channel URL like boogie2988 -- has the balls to tell B-Mc-Q "thanks-but-no-thanks" to an interview. I just needed to know more.

So, I checked out a few of the videos on his channel. What I saw led to a fury of emotions and various voluntary and involuntary physical responses.

TLDR: Let's get this guy to play P99:
http://image.gxzone.com/images/f/e/fe681a632e8.gif
http://i.imgur.com/ForPOJQ.gif
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/4614841/boogie2988-o.gif
https://38.media.tumblr.com/9de0c9ec8aaa21db2352e44b23f6882c/tumblr_mfb0ezwYFT1ruuqklo1_250.gif

toolshed
11-24-2014, 08:32 PM
Just send him a PM about this nerd crush and leave us out of it

Doil_Boil
11-24-2014, 08:37 PM
TL,,,D`R??: Do you, be thinking,, with ever`quests ,, will th`s player type, be have the good fun, on this project,,,, `1999s??,,?

I luled

paulgiamatti
11-24-2014, 08:41 PM
I grouped with Boogie a few times on Prexus. He was server famous even then, fun dude to play with and would host lots of pick-up raids and stuff.

Telin
11-24-2014, 09:53 PM
That would be awesome! He's more relevant to younger gamers, maybe it would bring some in.

Nitsude
11-24-2014, 10:20 PM
It makes me happy to know Boogie is becoming more well known. The guy is hilarious, but also genuinely awesome. In terms of project1999, I think he would be intrigued by the idea. EverQuest was his first love for sure. I don't think he would become a regular player, as his job these days is to sample all sorts of games.

Getting his attention will be tough.

Bboboo
11-24-2014, 10:21 PM
I just want to see him in character playing P99 for a video.

bloodmuffin
11-24-2014, 10:59 PM
Been following boogie for a long time. I'm not sure if this would suit his interest. He has been streaming various other games but currently stuck on that bullshit WoW and seems to love it. Don't think we'll see him around here anytime soon.

He also has been talking about playing/streaming his increasing backlog of games.

I'd love it if he would give it a shot but I highly doubt it.

Nuktari
11-24-2014, 11:03 PM
My only words to him would be...

http://media3.giphy.com/media/10B0SNs0a615fO/200.gif

Swish
11-25-2014, 03:02 AM
He's too casual these days, but he'd certainly help the project pull in another 1000 or so players I'd say.

Portasaurus
12-10-2014, 02:32 AM
page 2

fuark
12-10-2014, 02:46 AM
He mentions Everquest regularly as his first MMO and the one responsible for defining the genre. I would be surprised if he didn't already know about P99. If he didn't though, would be entertaining to see him do a gameplay video or something, showing people how harsh classic EQ used to be.

Greengrocer
12-10-2014, 02:49 AM
I need this man in my life.

http://cdn.gifbay.com/2013/07/fruit_salad_boogie2988-62051.gif

Bboboo
12-10-2014, 02:54 AM
I need this man in my life.

http://cdn.gifbay.com/2013/07/fruit_salad_boogie2988-62051.gif

Fatguy from youtube with a banana... Never again internet, never again.

Alukit Vassago
12-10-2014, 05:47 AM
honestly who's to say he isn't already here but hasn't yet revealed himself does make you wonder ;P

Clark
12-10-2014, 05:56 AM
honestly who's to say he isn't already here but hasn't yet revealed himself does make you wonder ;P

I grouped with Ashton and Mila the other evening.

jolanar
12-10-2014, 10:54 AM
Would love to see Frances try to play classic EQ.

rsloans84
12-10-2014, 11:34 AM
This guy is hilarious. Just what p99 needs more poopsockers

iruinedyourday
12-10-2014, 03:02 PM
Been following boogie for a long time. I'm not sure if this would suit his interest. He has been streaming various other games but currently stuck on that bullshit WoW and seems to love it. Don't think we'll see him around here anytime soon.

He also has been talking about playing/streaming his increasing backlog of games.

I'd love it if he would give it a shot but I highly doubt it.

He did an interview with mcquaid and said he loved EQ so im sure he would do it at least for something

Kayso
12-10-2014, 03:19 PM
I played with that morbidly obese piece of shit on Prexus. What an asshole.

Nothing worse than someone whose only outlet to for "success" or popularity is on the internet in a video game.

Eh, perhaps he's grown since then. See what I did there?

Portasaurus
12-10-2014, 03:20 PM
Someone here has to know him.

If you do, please reach out to him on behalf of all of p99 and tell him to come feel the feels! In my humble opinion, a Boogie2988 exposé on project 1999 would not only be guaranteed to entertain, it would also be great publicity for the project.

Since he mentions EQ as one of his all time favorites and one of the games that really got him into MMOs, I'll bet he'd would be down to try it out and relive the classic game that really pioneered the modern MMO.

I will be totally upfront about one thing: I do fear that some members of the community might reach new levels of insensitivity in their attempts to troll or bait him simply due to his physical presence. Having said that, he seems to be pretty used to that sort of thing by now, so that kind of shit is probably truly just white-noise to him (i would hope, at least). That's my only real concern with this plan.

Portasaurus
12-10-2014, 03:21 PM
...And thank you Kayso for preemptively validating my trepidation.

Kayso
12-10-2014, 03:26 PM
...And thank you Kayso for preemptively validating my trepidation.

As someone who has actually played and raided with him in the past, I'm not supposed to mention that he's a piece of shit?

Lictor
12-10-2014, 03:28 PM
This guy sounds like casual scum. Lord knows, we have enough of those vermin already.

Fame
12-10-2014, 03:39 PM
This guy sounds like casual scum. Lord knows, we have enough of those vermin already.

http://juettj.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/jesus-thumbs-up21.jpg

iruinedyourday
12-10-2014, 03:46 PM
As someone who has actually played and raided with him in the past, I'm not supposed to mention that he's a piece of shit?

lol i think that is pretty obvious kayso :P

sox7d
12-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Rofl, I'd watch the shit out of that.

captnamazing
12-10-2014, 04:16 PM
actually i think we don't need more like him

paulgiamatti
12-15-2014, 02:45 AM
I played with that morbidly obese piece of shit on Prexus. What an asshole.

Nothing worse than someone whose only outlet to for "success" or popularity is on the internet in a video game.

Eh, perhaps he's grown since then. See what I did there?

I also remember playing with him on Prexus - I remember how he was very well-known simply for being a genuinely interesting and witty personality, as well as for being a very talented leader who knew the game dynamics extremely well.

And this was before he had the courage to post a photo of himself on his guild's message board - before unknown, unliked, non-contributing little shits like yourself had a field day attacking him for his obesity immediately thereafter. Despite this, he was more well-known than you have ever been in any community or social setting, online or otherwise, without showing anyone a single picture of himself.

But it wasn't EverQuest that brought him internet fame. It started with a character named Francis, which was a Cartmanesque caricature of himself behaving obnoxiously, which created for some really hilarious videos. He used the initial thrust of popularity and viewership that he obtained as Francis to start doing much more serious and compelling videos, some of which revolved around video games and some of which didn't. One of his most popular and engaging videos, Draw My Life (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ1cUup0ATg), has more to do with his struggles in overcoming the challenges he's faced, such as obesity, than it has anything to do with video games.

It makes sense why you would still hold a grudge against him for over a decade, though. He's more intelligent than you'll ever be, more creative, more skilled and talented at everything, and sees more financial success from posting videos on YouTube than you'll ever see from working your shitty day job, assuming you're even employed at all.

iruinedyourday
12-15-2014, 04:35 AM
I also remember playing with him on Prexus - I remember how he was very well-known simply for being a genuinely interesting and witty personality, as well as for being a very talented leader who knew the game dynamics extremely well.

And this was before he had the courage to post a photo of himself on his guild's message board - before unknown, unliked, non-contributing little shits like yourself had a field day attacking him for his obesity immediately thereafter. Despite this, he was more well-known than you have ever been in any community or social setting, online or otherwise, without showing anyone a single picture of himself.

But it wasn't EverQuest that brought him internet fame. It started with a character named Francis, which was a Cartmanesque caricature of himself behaving obnoxiously, which created for some really hilarious videos. He used the initial thrust of popularity and viewership that he obtained as Francis to start doing much more serious and compelling videos, some of which revolved around video games and some of which didn't. One of his most popular and engaging videos, Draw My Life (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ1cUup0ATg), has more to do with his struggles in overcoming the challenges he's faced, such as obesity, than it has anything to do with video games.

Wow holy crap I can even finish watching that before needing to come and post about what a cool guy it turns out he is. Man and he even writes Ding over every computer he draws.. Which I'm going to hope is a reference to EQ ^_^

Love this guys jeeze I wish we could get him on here.

iruinedyourday
12-15-2014, 04:40 AM
And now I cry evertim

Sallan
12-15-2014, 06:34 AM
Don't know him personally but I was guilded with "uberwolf" back in the day with unity. To me he came of as a nice guy, pleasant and quite genuinely funny.

He didn't play much past PoP so who knows he might enjoy playing some classic again

paulgiamatti
12-15-2014, 07:06 AM
Yeah I mean, it's a nice thought but I don't think Stephen really has any interest in playing EverQuest in any form these days. I don't think he really wants the whole nostalgic immersion thing that most of us are here for. EverQuest to him represents not only some really awesome and amazing online experiences, but also the worst and most shitty period of his life during which he was severely depressed and unhealthy.

And as others have pointed out, he's a busy guy. His full-time job is making videos that span a variety of topics and issues, so he doesn't really have enough time to focus on just one thing. At most I think we'd be lucky to get an honorable mention from him in a YouTube video - an exposé type thing would be great for Project 1999, but there's really very little incentive for him to go down that road since I'm sure the majority of his viewer base wouldn't be down with it.

iruinedyourday
12-15-2014, 02:48 PM
idk if u guys saw this but he did interview mquaid once on his channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45XrbsBt34c

this might be how I found out about p99 i cant remember.

Grimjaw
12-15-2014, 04:16 PM

... See what I did there?

barely form a coherent sentence? Ya I did notice that.

sox7d
12-15-2014, 04:20 PM
And now I cry evertim

Just finished the video after being borderline suicidal the last couple months...

w-we're all g-gonna make it, b-bro....

skootr
12-15-2014, 04:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv54pqp6dkc

Another vid of his where he talks about everquest a bit. I also remember him on Prexus, grouped with him a few times I beleive. Was always entertaining in OOC.

I also don't think he'd come to P99. He's on to different things now.

sox7d
12-15-2014, 05:00 PM
In the McQuaid interview, he mentioned a reddit post I made. :cool:

iruinedyourday
12-15-2014, 05:02 PM
Once I was on my way to PAX east. I saw this teenagekid at the airport playing a DS he looked really akward. I started talking to him about zelda and other games. I asked what he was doing and he said that he was going to see his friends at pax.

After a long conversation with him it turns out he had no friends at home. He was really shy and akward physically. Online games gave this kid the outlet to meet people and become good friends with them.

I thought that was really special. Some friends of mine think its creepy that people make friends with strangers through video games online, that they people are crazy or wierd. But with many people life is just different and games are some of the only outlets that they have to be able to find like minded friends.

I think its a wonderful thing, video games. Just look how it helped boogie out, traveling around the country playing Magic. Its great. I love games for that.

Just dont ignore real life because of a game though.. thats the danger zone :)

Portasaurus
12-15-2014, 05:17 PM
Draw My Life (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ1cUup0ATg) is incredibly touching. It is a truthful and rare dose of sincerity in this community. It's mainly what inspired me to post this thread.

I think it's very brave of him to open himself up like that to a species that is known for its predictable nature of falsely posturing and hypocritically bullying anybody with a perceivable weakness.

Someone earlier mentioned that he might already be playing here anonymously. If that's the case, then more power to him! For someone in his position, it might be nice to be able to enjoy all the classic feelings under the radar.

Anyway, Voyager Boogie-1 has been launched. Now we wait...

http://i.imgur.com/v4cRg2G.jpg

drdrakes
12-15-2014, 05:37 PM
All that motherfucker did was blame everyone else for all his problems, now hes a hero because his fatass plays video games and has somehow avoided death despite being a self pitying POS?

iruinedyourday
12-15-2014, 05:51 PM
All that motherfucker did was blame everyone else for all his problems, now hes a hero because his fatass plays video games and has somehow avoided death despite being a self pitying POS?

you're mean

Frieza_Prexus
12-15-2014, 06:11 PM
I also played with him on Prexus. He was a very nice and engaging person. I never had a bad interaction with him, nor did I ever see him behave poorly.

Beebo11
12-16-2014, 10:36 PM
When, I first started playing p99, I talked to Boogie about it. He said Everquest is never something he will go back to. It ruined his life for a while.

Lunababy
12-16-2014, 11:29 PM
If he played an Ogre...

anyway, AFAIK he's a popular youtuber, not a popular streamer. If you want to boost p99 player count, get a 5k+ viewer streamer to bring the game to the front page of twitch.

sox7d
12-17-2014, 12:06 AM
When, I first started playing p99, I talked to Boogie about it. He said Everquest is never something he will go back to. It ruined his life for a while.

Welp.

Tann
12-17-2014, 02:00 AM
I think excessive food intake played more of a negative role on his earlier life then EQ did..

better him giving p99 some publicity then the biggest douche in the universe (pewdiepie) imo

Emile
12-17-2014, 02:19 AM
Amazed at how many people don't realize he's playing a character.

Tann
12-17-2014, 02:32 AM
Amazed at how many people don't realize he's playing a character.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/41/41be6a2789b0b4271aa263df740aebd671bc5a98edd26b4e4c f7e6401800acf4.jpg

Emile
12-17-2014, 02:35 AM
I'm not sure if you're not sure if I'm srs

Tann
12-17-2014, 02:41 AM
I'm not sure if you're not sure if I'm srs

http://reactiongif.org/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/08/GIF-mind-blown-oh-my-oh-my-god-OMG-surprised-wow-GIF.gif

I would assume everyone knows he's just joking around, he's 100% normal acting in vids with other youtube gamers.

paulgiamatti
12-17-2014, 03:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9--KUIwfU6w

Kayso
12-17-2014, 09:54 PM

It makes sense why you would still hold a grudge against him for over a decade, though. He's more intelligent than you'll ever be, more creative, more skilled and talented at everything, and sees more financial success from posting videos on YouTube than you'll ever see from working your shitty day job, assuming you're even employed at all.

Some people here enjoyed playing with Uber. Great. But he was a dick in every interaction I had with him and those situations were made ever more rich by the fact that his "prowess" in EQ was in such contrast to his real life.

The idea that you would think you could extrapolate my short post into some sort of analysis would be perplexing if you didn't post so many other stupid fucking things.

That draw my life thing is sad. And by sad, I mean pathetic. You should ask yourself what it is about you that makes you identify with it. And if you get an answer, please do us all a favor and don't share it.

As for the "shitty day job blah blah blah", you couldn't be more wrong if this was one of your posts in one of the political threads you seem to like to embarrass yourself in.

GnashingOfTeeth
12-17-2014, 09:59 PM
I honestly find the Francis character offensive.
So no, he can stay the fuck on youtube.

Oleris
12-18-2014, 12:54 AM
will it be francis or boogie discussing his gameplay though?

Tann
12-18-2014, 01:04 AM
will it be francis or boogie discussing his gameplay though?

Francis when talking about the raid scene, seafuries, MQ'ing, chardok AoE, and red recruitment threads

paulgiamatti
12-19-2014, 01:59 AM
he was a dick in every interaction I had with him

I can't even begin to imagine why.