PDA

View Full Version : What is your fix for the gamma patch?

Bboboo
12-03-2014, 07:41 AM
So instead of just endlessly bitching about how dark the game is, let's try and be a little proactive and do something about it.

So far some fixes I have found, aside from Lightstones/torches

Opening another client (just leaving it at the agree/disagree screen) seems to slightly work.

Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization >Display > Calibrate Color > then clicking next till you get to brightness adjustment. Although this resets every time you zone and you have to re-adjust it.

Someone else also mentioned using a program called Flux, I tried it but was meh and it's daytime in game again so will have to test it more come nighttime.

I know this darkness is classic or more classic, but...
http://i.imgur.com/ma84Gkh.jpg

Latege
12-03-2014, 07:45 AM
I know this darkness is classic or more classic

It's not even in the ballpark of being classic. Why do you think everyone is bitching about it?

Swish
12-03-2014, 07:52 AM
It's not even in the ballpark of being classic. Why do you think everyone is bitching about it?

Classic certainly wasn't full/bright sight for people with infravision, which it has been up until now. I remember rolling a dark elf on live because I was squinting at the screen a lot which was bad for my eyes with the wood elf I had before him.

What was the difference between ultravision and infravision before the patch? Very little.

Put your gamma up to 100%, that'll help.

They may not get it perfect, but this is closer to classic than before.

Asmadi
12-03-2014, 07:59 AM

You're welcome, now go get immersed.

Latege
12-03-2014, 07:59 AM
They may not get it perfect, but this is closer to classic than before.

Wrong. At no point in classic was everyone forced to play at 100% gamma to see regardless of race. Furthermore, 100% gamma is supposed to give you a washed out look like the loading screen now gives you before character select. Currently 100% gamma is still dark all around.

Swish
12-03-2014, 08:06 AM
Wrong. At no point in classic was everyone forced to play at 100% gamma to see regardless of race. Furthermore, 100% gamma is supposed to give you a washed out look like the loading screen now gives you before character select. Currently 100% gamma is still dark all around.

If you're trying to say we had "classic" vision before the patch, you're wrong. There's no way I'd have abandoned my wood elf bard back in classic if it wasn't for vision problems (along with dying lots to song aggro :p).

I'd almost go as far to say (looking on a half elf at the moment) that it's still a bit too clear, but that could be something unsolvable with Titanium perhaps?

myriverse
12-03-2014, 08:07 AM
Yeah, this just brings everybody down to a certain level, regardless of race. I wouldn't call it a step in a classic direction. Noble attempt though.

Anyway... back to topic. Fixes?

Bboboo
12-03-2014, 08:07 AM
Control panel settings make it look how it was before the patch for me.

Fire bettle eyes do very little.

I don't mind this change but it doesn't mean I'm not gunna fix it on my end.

Asmadi
12-03-2014, 08:09 AM
Control panel settings make it look how it was before the patch for me.

Fire bettle eyes do very little.

I don't mind this change but it doesn't mean I'm not gunna fix it on my end.

I just setup an EQ.exe profile under my gfx control panel. Fixed it for me, not a server end fix, but still a fix.

Swish
12-03-2014, 08:09 AM
Put my gamma up to 100% but can't think of what else. Don't really want to mess with my monitor brightness just for the sake of P99 :p

Samhain
12-03-2014, 08:29 AM
The bitching is not about "omg it's now more classic and thus nerf"

The bitching is about the fact that we all have a whole computer/monitor setup OUTSIDE the game that gets royally fucked by this because the game hijacks the video card itself's gamma.

ROLL IT BACK

Asmadi
12-03-2014, 08:36 AM
The bitching is not about "omg it's now more classic and thus nerf"

The bitching is about the fact that we all have a whole computer/monitor setup OUTSIDE the game that gets royally fucked by this because the game hijacks the video card itself's gamma.

ROLL IT BACK

Vicatin
12-03-2014, 08:40 AM
I just dont see why they would mess with gamma, and force people to use wonky work arounds to get their gamma back to pre-screwball levels.

skipdog
12-03-2014, 08:41 AM
This is stupid. I shouldn't have to go hack my desktop gamma settings to be able to see at all.

Never had to do this shit back in the day.

Asmadi
12-03-2014, 08:43 AM
This is stupid. I shouldn't have to go hack my desktop gamma settings to be able to see at all.

Never had to do this shit back in the day.

"Back in my day" we just turned a knob for brightness... I bet you still turn 'knobs' don't you.

Swish
12-03-2014, 08:44 AM
I can actually see people getting a 2nd/3rd monitor and having P99 on the new one with the brighter settings.

Bboboo
12-03-2014, 08:44 AM
Yo keep the bitching in the other threads.

Velerin
12-03-2014, 09:42 AM
I love classic.
Targeting rings: get them outta here!

Pet window: oh how I will miss you so much but if its classic get outta here!

Classic era darkness: if it could be implemented correctly, only affect the environment and not everything else I'd say go for it. But this thing about hijacking your whole system to make everything dark is crazy. I just strained my eyes trying to do anything, read chat etc. I'm not going to go into my computer and make all kinds of changes just to play this game. I'm not going to go buy a new computer/monitor with better settings just to be able to play this game. Do any of the people saying it looks great have old machines/monitors and/or don't know how to go in and change all kinds of settings that screw up your other applications?

khanable
12-03-2014, 09:46 AM
I like the changes and I'm not a whiny little bitch so my fix is to get a froglok crown.

Nuktari
12-03-2014, 09:51 AM
http://i.imgur.com/mPxo2QE.jpg

Portasaurus
12-03-2014, 10:39 AM
http://i.imgur.com/mPxo2QE.jpg

Is there supposed to be color and/or detail in that armor?

Because yeah.

Nope.

Please undo?

I can't even tell the wolf meat from the bear meat, and it's already leading to all sorts of problems back at the factory. Not to mention I mistook an entire stack of Surefall Sap for White Wine and vendored the stuff.

I guess this could be a good time to get into the candle business...

Korrupt
12-03-2014, 10:40 AM
temp fix for me is going to personalize under right clicking your desktop background then go to display on left bottom, then go to change display settings, wherver your vid card is or whatlever like intel is my pos laptop change the gamma there helps a ton

Bboboo
12-03-2014, 11:11 AM
I hope you're fucking happy GMs, first you take away meat spin now this?!

GnashingOfTeeth
12-03-2014, 11:31 AM
Roll back per Haynar.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1699858&postcount=22

webrunner5
12-03-2014, 01:07 PM
This is far and away the stupidest thing they have done on here. Please fix it. "NOT CLASSIC"

Nerfbat
12-03-2014, 01:23 PM
This is far and away the stupidest thing they have ever done on here. Fix it or I am out of here. I know just me leaving does not make a rats ass in hell, but I bet I am not the only one. Piss on your "classic" crap. :mad: This is far and away not the only game in town.

Yeah! Where is the line for our refunds?

Peacocky
12-03-2014, 04:31 PM
It all down to setup.dll in v34 & v35 patches. Try swap setup.dll from v33 and you will see the gamma back to it original stat at character select.

So much for a thank you to beta-test velious?. Well let see if I would donate again.

nithyan
12-03-2014, 05:33 PM
Yeah! Where is the line for our refunds?
This may come as a shock, so steel yourself, but you can actually complain about something being bad in a free thing.

And a change that screws up the brightness of your entire desktop, makes the game's UI unreadable, and is trivially worked around anyway, is a bad thing.

In fact, some people may complain because they like the server and want to see it improve!

MaSQue
12-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Its broke
the end

Light Enhancing sources do not help. On my Dark Elf I should be able to see fine in any darkness yet in Nek Forest I am blind as a bat. It is funny, setting something to classic when noone was bitching about the way it was before seems silly. Why are we fixing gamma stuff when it didnt need fixing in the first place?

oh and say what you want at NO TIME was classic set where folks are to go 100% Gamma just to see in front of themselves. This is NOT classic by any means.

led
12-03-2014, 06:34 PM
I use f.lux the program that changes your monitor based on the time of day and light. I noticed this patch did not affect my gamma at all.

Masakizt
12-03-2014, 06:52 PM
Yes very easy fix for this is right click desktop and go down to Nvidia Control Panel.

Adjust brightness up under 'desktop colour settings'

Then turn 'gamma lock' setting ON in WinEQ.

Makes my whole comp bright as fark but atleast i can see in eq again!

MaSQue
12-03-2014, 07:06 PM
Yes very easy fix for this is right click desktop and go down to Nvidia Control Panel.

Adjust brightness up under 'desktop colour settings'

Then turn 'gamma lock' setting ON in WinEQ.

Makes my whole comp bright as fark but atleast i can see in eq again!

#1 I don't use eqwin to play the game
#2 So the answer is change my PC settings to make EQ play right and totally muck everything else on my PC up? nah pass. the game ran fine before as it was, so they can fix it so it runs right again imho

I understand this is a free game and we play what they give us, and I will not be mad if they leave it like it is and I stop playing EQ and move to something else.

it is what it is but I am not changing my PC just to play a game

Masakizt
12-03-2014, 07:19 PM
To be honest in a knee jerk reaction i set my Brightness all the way up..

Turns out it didnt need to go all the way up. Even EQ was too bright. Played around and now I can see normally in EQ and my desktop etc looks just fine.

In response to #1, if your going to be difficult and not open to suggestions what are you doing in this thread?

WolfsongReborn
12-03-2014, 07:23 PM
I went in and changed all compatability modes to windows 2000 and set in game gamma to 85%. The UI is a tad dark and bags are dark but night in game looks really nice now, and light sources seem to be doing what they should.

On the other hand, ive got some new issue that anytime I clicked my chatbox or anything on the bottom of my screen it immediately throws the game into windowed mode while im playing in Fullscreen mode. It's like it is clicking the windows 7 taskbar and focusing on that, minimizing the game. It's really odd....and really really annoying.

**edit** I ran around in the dark woods after making the above changes and stood and watched the sun come up. Everything now looks like it really should with how EQ used to show dark and light. The UI is a tad darker still but usable.

86753o9
12-03-2014, 07:31 PM
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Before the patch the default gamma was way to bright I had to turn the ingame gamma down to about 15%. After the patch I just turned the ingame gamma back up and it looks fine.

fishingme
12-03-2014, 07:37 PM
Its broke
the end

Light Enhancing sources do not help. On my Dark Elf I should be able to see fine in any darkness yet in Nek Forest I am blind as a bat. It is funny, setting something to classic when noone was bitching about the way it was before seems silly. Why are we fixing gamma stuff when it didnt need fixing in the first place?

oh and say what you want at NO TIME was classic set where folks are to go 100% Gamma just to see in front of themselves. This is NOT classic by any means.

It's pretty damn classic. Watch this video, night time starts at 2:29 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_zFeDe7ZeM

MaSQue
12-03-2014, 07:44 PM
In response to #1, if your going to be difficult and not open to suggestions what are you doing in this thread?I should not have to change my PC just to play the game.

It's pretty damn classic. Watch this video, night time starts at 2:29 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_zFeDe7ZeM

I never said I had a problem with it being classic I said I had a problem with not being able to see 2 feet in front of my character in game. Thats my issue with it, its ran fine for years and now all of a sudden we feel the need to patch it and make it so alot of folks cant even see anything around them in game? There is my issue.

oh gotta love it when I have to look up the Neriak bankers name on the wiki to target him near the water standing in a clump with every other NPC in the entire zone lol. weeeeeee lol

fishingme
12-03-2014, 08:01 PM
I should not have to change my PC just to play the game.

I never said I had a problem with it being classic I said I had a problem with not being able to see 2 feet in front of my character in game. Thats my issue with it, its ran fine for years and now all of a sudden we feel the need to patch it and make it so alot of folks cant even see anything around them in game? There is my issue.

oh gotta love it when I have to look up the Neriak bankers name on the wiki to target him near the water standing in a clump with every other NPC in the entire zone lol. weeeeeee lol

Can't handle classic, don't play on a server that's trying to emulate classic.

MaSQue
12-03-2014, 08:10 PM
Can't handle classic, don't play on a server that's trying to emulate classic.

Here, let me Quote what I already said exactly 1 post above the one you just made since you obv. missed it. I even underlined it, made the letters BOLD and made the font Red so it would easier for you to see this time. Hope that helps.

I never said I had a problem with it being classic I said I had a problem with not being able to see 2 feet in front of my character in game. Thats my issue with it.

86753o9
12-03-2014, 09:05 PM
Is your monitor calibrated? Google monitor calibration.

Buellen
12-03-2014, 09:16 PM
how do you know classic didn't take control of your computer. from what I remember classic eq did not allow you to alt tab out of the game. who know what the classic interface did to your desktop settings.

MaSQue
12-03-2014, 09:19 PM
how do you know classic didn't take control of your computer. from what I remember classic eq did not allow you to alt tab out of the game. who know what the classic interface did to your desktop settings.
I was playing EQ on day 1
anyways it is what it is now. I'll wait and see if they do something to make it playable for me, if not I will move on. I won't like it but I will move on. So not much else more to say cept I'll wait and see what happens with the game over the next short bit.

Hobosnax
12-04-2014, 12:01 AM
Redownload/reinstall the patch. They took out the gamma correction. This fixed it for me with out WinEQ

fishingme
12-04-2014, 12:51 AM
Here, let me Quote what I already said exactly 1 post above the one you just made since you obv. missed it. I even underlined it, made the letters BOLD and made the font Red so it would easier for you to see this time. Hope that helps

umm, bolded, and enlarged. CLASSIC DUDE IT IS CLASSIC.

I never said I had a problem with it being classic I said I had a problem with not being able to see 2 feet in front of my character in game

Zliz
12-04-2014, 08:48 AM
Here's what I did, using WinEQ.

1) Go into the NVIDIA Control Panel, Display -> Adjust desktop color settings in treeview, then for both my monitors I chose "Use NVIDIA settings".
2) Exit EQ. Open WinEQ Settings (right-click tray icon, Options->Preferences). Under Everquest->General in the treeview, set Lock Gamma to ON.
3) In EQ, set gamma to 100%

I now have good gamma in EQ (seems the same as before the patch), and EQ no longer messes up the gamma on my desktop and other monitors.

Regardless of the rollback, it's still nice to not have EQ fuck up gamma on other monitors this way.

Bboboo
12-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Redownload/reinstall the patch. They took out the gamma correction. This fixed it for me with out WinEQ

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1700992&postcount=132