PDA

View Full Version : Gamma change: Roll it back?

Samhain
12-03-2014, 08:32 AM
The gamma change. I get it. It's classic, immersion, etc.

The problem is we all have computers OUTSIDE the game with browsing, messaging, email, work, etc. that get completed screwed up by the client hijacking our video settings. Adjusting my graphics settings when loading and unloading the game is unacceptable.

Roll this change back. Leave it alone.

Asmadi
12-03-2014, 08:34 AM
The gamma change. I get it. It's classic, immersion, etc.

The problem is we all have computers OUTSIDE the game with browsing, messaging, email, work, etc. that get completed screwed up by the client hijacking our video settings. Adjusting my graphics settings when loading and unloading the game is unacceptable.

Roll this change back. Leave it alone.

I fixed it on my end, running 3 monitors and they all look fine as well as the game now.

Samhain
12-03-2014, 08:35 AM
I fixed it on my end, running 3 monitors and they all look fine as well as the game now.

I can "fix" it as well... but I have to go through my video card settings on each monitor (all 4) and adjust the gamma when I LOAD the game and then when to UNLOAD the game.

Asmadi
12-03-2014, 08:40 AM
I can "fix" it as well... but I have to go through my video card settings on each monitor (all 4) and adjust the gamma when I LOAD the game and then when to UNLOAD the game.

My Catalyst fix done it for me, running 3 monitors and they're all fine, ingame and out, I'm tabbing now no issues, game on one, have a movie on second going and forums/FB on the other.

Swish
12-03-2014, 08:41 AM
I'm not one for full immersion usually, but it seems like there's a culture on P99 for doing anything you can to get 60 ASAP, MQ your epic, and otherwise find ways around the way Verant/Sony/BMQ intended things to be.

I say adjust to the new lighting, don't "fix" :p

My 2cp anyway.

Samhain
12-03-2014, 08:51 AM
I'm not one for full immersion usually, but it seems like there's a culture on P99 for doing anything you can to get 60 ASAP, MQ your epic, and otherwise find ways around the way Verant/Sony/BMQ intended things to be.

I say adjust to the new lighting, don't "fix" :p

My 2cp anyway.

That's arguably the very nature of RPGs with a progressive leveling/reward system. Pavlov and modern psychology would have a lot to say about it.

As you said though; many players in classic made character decisions based on the vision in game. 4-5 years into people's characters and randomly it get's changed? That's not in line with "The Vision (tm)" (if anyone remembers that catch phrase from forumquesting during Live).

Furthermore, as many have noted, racial abilities, spells, and items are NOT having the classic effect. If they did, then it would be in line with Classic/The Vision (tm). As it has been observed; it is NOT the case. What is the case is that this was a poorly tested and poorly executed attempt to make something "more classic" that no one asked for and has created massively unique problems for everyone with different computer display setups.

myriverse
12-03-2014, 08:53 AM
Well, it certainly needs to be fixed and is not classic at all.

But it's not a game breaker for me.

Nicoladen
12-03-2014, 09:03 AM
Well, it certainly needs to be fixed and is not classic at all.

But it's not a game breaker for me.

One of the first things I bought in 1999 was a greater lightstone for my first 10pp.

Because I couldn't see two feet ahead in Gfay without - seems pretty classic to me :)

Less enjoyable - now that I can agree with :D

Urkel
12-03-2014, 09:13 AM
If you can't handle it go back to the hello kitty mmo

myriverse
12-03-2014, 09:16 AM
One of the first things I bought in 1999 was a greater lightstone for my first 10pp.

Because I couldn't see two feet ahead in Gfay without - seems pretty classic to me :)

My DE can't even see well. So nope... not classic. And this even messes with the UI. Very not classic.

But like I said, not a game breaker.

Ravager
12-03-2014, 09:17 AM

Except that light sources don't work the way they're supposed to. Haynar may as well have saved everyone the bother of looking for workarounds and instead requested that everyone wear sunglasses while playing the game, since that's basically all this patch amounts to.

Velerin
12-03-2014, 09:30 AM
Yeah I just logged in at Lavastorm and couldn't see a thing and its a major strain to read chat boxes. I have a light source and taking it on and off did nothing. I'm not one to ever complain and love classic fixes but if this is the way it is going to stay there's no way I could play if I tried. You shouldn't have to mess with your video card every time you want to play. The people that say its np either haven't tried it or have systems that can work around it easily.
Remember this is a 15 year old game and not all of us are computer savvy enough to make system changes and not risk screwing something else up.

Whirled
12-03-2014, 09:30 AM
Idk what was classic but I do not remember it being THIS dark ... but I'm still thankful to play =)

I guess if it's possible...have a slider switch for each person to raise it also but deity affiliation should also play a role. Cazic = darker aura around powerful evil character, etc...

and also <funny guild names> approved!

myriverse
12-03-2014, 09:37 AM
Nah. Deity shouldn't factor. Only race.

Absenthe
12-03-2014, 09:56 AM
I hate to complain, and I appreciate the attempt at being classic, but I'm really not trying to get a headache every time I play P99 even as a dark elf.

khanable
12-03-2014, 09:58 AM
Setting gamma to 100%, camping (not /q), closing all the way out, and restarting the machine helps. Ya'll need to toy with the "advanced lighting" check box in display to get some light source items to work (this option seems super buggy in this client so just fuck with it a bit). Also: /loadskin velious. Looks much better than other UI's when dealing with the darkness.

Looks great to me!

Laugher
12-03-2014, 10:16 AM
Did not seem dark to me, using Mac client it is common to not be able to see where you're going, it was part of classic vision at least as I've come to know it.

Logged into mac client just to see how it compares at the same gamma %, and looks spot on in terms of darkness/light

roadmixer
12-03-2014, 10:26 AM
Having it effect the UI is not classic. Period.

hammertime7795
12-03-2014, 10:35 AM
I love classic eq, thats why I have been playing eq for 15 years. The thing is many things in classic were outright broken. We don't need to revisit those things. The original devs have said outright the darkness especially with non gifted vision races was a mistake. Obviously that's not what this is but just to my point about not going backwards on things that were mistakes, did not make sense etc. Keep it difficult and grindy ya know the fun of eq. Update the stuff that makes sense. Just my 2c

Juevento
12-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Where did all these trolls come from that think not being able to see in the day time or with dmf or de illusion is classic?

Have you guys seen what the jboots icon is like now? It's unbelievably dark.

Classic or not shouldn't have anything to do with making a change like this. You functionally degraded the product on purpose. Not sure if that makes sense.

myriverse
12-03-2014, 10:38 AM
Did not seem dark to me, using Mac client it is common to not be able to see where you're going, it was part of classic vision at least as I've come to know it.

Logged into mac client just to see how it compares at the same gamma %, and looks spot on in terms of darkness/light
It's difficult to see certain features on my DE... even on a bright sunny day... at noon.
And he has a greater lightstone.

And I've increased my computer's gamma by 25%.

Haynar
12-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Its getting rolled back.

Should get it done later today.

Try setting your gamma slider to max and ensure advanced lighting is checked.

Too much variability between different PCs and video cards.

Its too bad though. The game looks really amazing on PCs where the gamma changes worked as intended.

H

Haynar
12-03-2014, 10:44 AM

It was very closely matched to how it should look.

It just didnt for all PCs.

H

Dirtynads
12-03-2014, 11:14 AM
Its getting rolled back.

Its too bad though. The game looks really amazing on PCs where the gamma changes worked as intended.

H

Still appreciate all your hard work Haynar...shit happends from time to time such is life..Thanks for the update regardless

Velerin
12-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Thanks so much. Yes seems to be a lot of variability in machines. Too bad no way just to make display a bit darker for all without affecting systemwide changes.

GnashingOfTeeth
12-03-2014, 11:29 AM
Classic is fine as long as the results are consistent for everyone, right now some people are fully blind with infravision etc.
We appreciate the work.

Greengrocer
12-03-2014, 11:34 AM
And Haynar said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.

Took
12-03-2014, 11:39 AM
Yeah kinda sucks not being able to see anything.

LulzSect
12-03-2014, 11:43 AM
http://img.pandawhale.com/post-37430-andy-dwyer-CLASSIC-gif-parks-a-kSeQ.gif

Daldaen
12-03-2014, 11:53 AM
http://img.pandawhale.com/post-37430-andy-dwyer-CLASSIC-gif-parks-a-kSeQ.gif

Big fan of this.

Vicatin
12-03-2014, 11:56 AM
Its getting rolled back.

H

Awesome! Thank you.

Took
12-03-2014, 11:57 AM
Tranix crown doesn't change anything.

Dark elf mask doesn't change anything.

Tnscoot
12-03-2014, 11:57 AM
Its getting rolled back.

H

Yes it did look very good, looked great on my PC. Kudos for trying!

AnthonyHJ
12-03-2014, 12:07 PM
On my Win8 PC, my Wood elf can barely tell the difference and my human can see with Gamma set to 100 just like in Classic. The issue I am having is that it seems to ramp up the contrast, so shadows are full-on black and pools of light are washed out and nearly white.

Just a shame it breaks the game for other people...

Rheon
12-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Yeah, rollback definitely required..its way too dark with my AMD 7970. My temp fix was to install wine-eq and lock gamma.

douglas1999
12-03-2014, 12:50 PM
Changes on P99 usually require a high burden of proof that they are classic before they are implemented, so I'm just wondering where the evidence is that classic EQ ever looked this way.

I remember:

-Game was very dark as a human.
-Vision spells like serpent sight or ultravision helped immensely.
-Cranking gamma allowed you to see pretty well.

Now it's just always really dark, vision spells do almost nothing, and cranking the gamma to 100% in game is darker than 21% gamma was prior to the change. I'm all for classic darkness mechanics, but this change isn't close to how classic behaved and is causing more people problems than it's providing a better experience for.

Malrubius
12-03-2014, 12:53 PM
I recall it being dark at night and in some dungeons (those without torches, etc.), but this is dark in the daytime too. I don't remember anything about it being dark (or even slightly dark-ish) outdoors in the daytime in classic. :/

Velerin
12-03-2014, 01:09 PM
I think people just gotta realize it was different on different machines as Haynar already stated.
For some people it was "its kinda dark and cool and feels more like classic" and others it was "its so dark I cant see a thing as a DE with a GLS in hand"

I logged on in LS at 6pm, lightsource in hand couldn't see a thing. Used sense heading and locs to find my way to Nek. Trying to read the chat box I had to squint and would give me a headache.

maestrom
12-03-2014, 01:11 PM
Screenshots for those of us that can't log on atm?

Exmo
12-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Screenshots don't reflect gamma changes.

viperjace
12-03-2014, 01:28 PM
I really appreciate what project1999 and the people who pay for the servers do. I hope this gets fixed because I won't be able to play with this issue. The gamma fixes through your graphics card is a joke, no game requires that.

NegaStoat
12-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Thank you Haynar.

fishingme
12-03-2014, 01:48 PM
I haven't logged in yet, but you all are playing in compatibility mode correct? I remember classic being so dark as a woodelf I couldn't see shit in gfay and falling off kelethin because of how dark it was and ramps were hardly visible. I remember it quite well due to it being my first experience in eq, got yelled at by my brother for killing his druid on that fall and him unable to find corpse due to the darkness.

WolfsongReborn
12-03-2014, 02:00 PM
I haven't logged in yet, but you all are playing in compatibility mode correct? I remember classic being so dark as a woodelf I couldn't see shit in gfay and falling off kelethin because of how dark it was and ramps were hardly visible. I remember it quite well due to it being my first experience in eq, got yelled at by my brother for killing his druid on that fall and him unable to find corpse due to the darkness.

Indeed. You're remembering correctly haha...I remember a bard leading me to my corpse at night in Gfay and when he got out of range I was completely and utterly lost in the dark even with infravision.

Difference here is that lightsources aren't changing the darkness and it's the entire UI, not just what your char can/can't see.

Glenzig
12-03-2014, 02:18 PM
So I guess once you go black you can go back. :)

SamwiseRed
12-03-2014, 02:19 PM
http://i.imgur.com/CAepjyv.gif

Ele
12-03-2014, 02:29 PM
Its getting rolled back.

H

:(

Zliz
12-03-2014, 03:12 PM
Here's what I did, using WinEQ.

1) Go into the NVIDIA Control Panel, Display -> Adjust desktop color settings in treeview, then for both my monitors I chose "Use NVIDIA settings".
2) Exit EQ. Open WinEQ Settings (right-click tray icon, Options->Preferences). Under Everquest->General in the treeview, set Lock Gamma to ON.
3) In EQ, set gamma to 100%

I now have good gamma in EQ (seems the same as before the patch), and EQ no longer messes up the gamma on my desktop and other monitors.

Samhain
12-03-2014, 03:35 PM
Its getting rolled back.

H
Thanks Haynar!!!

Samhain
12-03-2014, 03:37 PM
:(
All these flavors and you choose salty. Salty because something 76% of the players want gets acknowledged over your over exuberance for nerfs.

Ele tears so good :)

Halius
12-03-2014, 04:22 PM
I actually summoned a Heatstone.... I haven't ever done that.

iruinedyourday
12-03-2014, 04:39 PM
uh.. i updated with the fixed gamma, and its still fubar.. or is the second update *not* the one with the fix?

topgun1027
12-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Never had any gamma issues, just use eqwin2

Whirled
12-03-2014, 04:51 PM
**Health Warning**

Staring too long into darkness may have adverse effects on your eyes

http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparisons/diamond_pearl/ep157_family_guy_retarded_horse.png

fishingme
12-03-2014, 05:21 PM
So, before logging in I made sure EQ was running in compatability mode for windows 2000. I've got an Asus graphics card and games looks great in the daylight, waiting for midnight to come. Definitely closer to classic, I wouldn't call it classic darkness yet, but again it's daylight in game. Gamma @ 68%(my default) and advanced lighting turned on.

Edit: Just explored crushbone, darkness/lighting looks good.

bloodmuffin
12-03-2014, 05:29 PM
First off, can anyone see each others lightsource? Are lightsources bugged in general? I have a feeling this could be a issue as to why it remains so dark all over.

I do remember my old groups in classic illuminating a room with their lightsources, or being able to see someone in the distance by the glowing terrain near them.

Himalayan
12-03-2014, 05:32 PM
Its getting rolled back.

H

Man this makes me super sad. I actually managed to get my gamma settings to work just right and the othmir beach in cobalt scar was fuckin beautiful. I understand that 90% of the community was having issues, but still super unfortunate.

fishingme
12-03-2014, 05:34 PM
Can anyone who is having problems with their gamma stream EQ on twitch?

MaSQue
12-03-2014, 05:51 PM
http://www.bumperstickerz.com/images/1000058-00-00-00-00_lg.png

Here's what I did, using WinEQ.

1) Go into the NVIDIA Control Panel, Display -> Adjust desktop color settings in treeview, then for both my monitors I chose "Use NVIDIA settings".

I now have good gamma in EQ (seems the same as before the patch), and EQ no longer messes up the gamma on my desktop and other monitors.
no no no no I am not changing shit on my computer just to run a game that ran fine before it was broke. It will either be fixed or I will love on. Not gonna start changing stuff on my machine just to fix a broke game. I mean I have to turn the room lights off in my room or I cannot see a thing in game lol. I am running into walls literally and thats with 100% game turn on in game. How is that classic?

Zliz
12-04-2014, 08:44 AM
no no no no I am not changing shit on my computer just to run a game that ran fine before it was broke. It will either be fixed or I will love on. Not gonna start changing stuff on my machine just to fix a broke game. I mean I have to turn the room lights off in my room or I cannot see a thing in game lol. I am running into walls literally and thats with 100% game turn on in game. How is that classic?

I'm not 100% sure it's necessary to do the NVIDIA tweak, I just did it as it makes sense, also for regular EQ when I play that. You can try just using WinEQ and do the Gamma Lock setting.