PDA

View Full Version : Must be standing to cast

salimoneus
12-03-2014, 12:33 PM
Err, wasn't expecting this one. Didn't play a caster on live so it's new to me.

Apparently I've gotten into the bad habit of using the spell bar directly quite a lot. I guess just creating a keyboard shortcut that I need to hit before any cast while medding is the best way to deal with this?

I thought about using a vertical hotbar and mapping the spell bar to each button (with /stand and /cast #), but the bars aren't the same size so they wouldn't line up. I do use a few vertical hotbar button macros for some spells which are usually in fixed positions (mez, slow, etc), but many others get swapped out so it doesn't like a complete solution.

LulzSect
12-03-2014, 12:37 PM
Or you could move forward and then cast.

Whirled
12-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Is this truly the classic way? I always remember being able to just Alt+#spell & it auto standed to cast as far back as Kunark... but idk if original.

Ele
12-03-2014, 12:40 PM
You use the mouse to click the spell bar???

-Catherin-
12-03-2014, 12:40 PM
http://i.imgur.com/XvTfusD.png

salimoneus
12-03-2014, 12:41 PM
Or you could move forward and then cast.

Ahh cool, didn't know about that, thanks!

contemptor
I'm still waiting for simulated lag, high ping, random disconnects. Because you know, this is about the bad parts of classic also, not creating an enjoyable experience. At least we get server outages with incorrect times and no updates, so that's a start.

Erati

this is amazing

Daldaen
12-03-2014, 12:43 PM
Confirmed not classic!

Moving forward to auto stand is also not classic. I hope that fix is in the pipes.

We are getting really classic with the mechanics of late. I approve.

contemptor
12-03-2014, 12:44 PM
I bet you could play EQ blind. Not everybody has that impressive of neck beard.

contemptor
12-03-2014, 12:45 PM
Ahh cool, didn't know about that, thanks!
Only until they find out how to disable it, it's coming. dald and Ele probably have a petition started already

salimoneus
12-03-2014, 12:45 PM

Ya I'm still a bit noobish with the caster thing ;)

Daldaen
12-03-2014, 12:48 PM
I bet you could play EQ blind. Not everybody has that impressive of neck beard.

Alt Casting confirmed best.

But man classic EQ was so good. Check out this nugget I just found:

If you are interrupted while trying to cast a spell that uses a component, you will no longer use that component. Jewelers should be very pleased with this change.

Better not move when casting Enchant Velium!

Seliant
12-03-2014, 12:49 PM
anyway you try to cast it should autostand to cast... like the command cntrl+X to camp it says you need to sit to camp out, it used to autocamp, like the command /camp or camp desk it ask you to be sitting to camp, that changed since last patch and its not classic

Erati
12-03-2014, 12:50 PM

thats bc the component was consumed the second you cast the spell, not upon completion

I guess they made that simple swap with that update you posted

Juevento
12-03-2014, 12:52 PM

You realize if that gets implemented, the first stab at it will have the spell casts consuming stacks of reagents instead of only 1 right?

hammertime7795
12-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Yup it was a stupid change. We will get used to it in a couple days though. What a waste of time...

Daldaen
12-03-2014, 12:59 PM
There's a reason everyone had sit in their hotbar in classic. This would be one of them.

hammertime7795
12-03-2014, 01:01 PM
There's a reason everyone had sit in their hotbar in classic. This would be one of them.

No its so you could med after you got done casting. I had sit on my hotbar before this change. The thing that irritates me is the change serves no purpose. It does not make the game more fun or more challenging. Which imo should be the goal of any change.

WolfsongReborn
12-03-2014, 01:03 PM
I recall going directly from sitting to med during a raid to standing and casting my heals just by alt casting. I do not remember having to physically hit a stand key and then cast. Perhaps later in eq or something?

hammertime7795
12-03-2014, 01:06 PM
You can just hot key all you spells with /stand /cast 1-8 so it really does not change anything except a UI mod to get extra hotbars.

Daldaen
12-03-2014, 01:06 PM
No...

It's so you could med while you were casting.

In classic you could cast a spell, sit, then stand just before the spell finishes and channel just fine. This wasn't changed until Duck interrupted spells mid Velious.

Changes should be made to make things more classic. And extremely rarely to fix broken mechanics that trivialize the game (see hoops). Fun or Challenging, meh. You could make EQ more fun for yourself adding all these custom changes if you want I guess, but it wouldn't be EQ.

Sitting to camp and Standing to cast puts a little delay between actions and slows down have quickly people play (albeit slightly if using hotkeys). This is classic.

hammertime7795
12-03-2014, 01:13 PM
No...

It's so you could med while you were casting.

In classic you could cast a spell, sit, then stand just before the spell finishes and channel just fine. This wasn't changed until Duck interrupted spells mid Velious.

Changes should be made to make things more classic. And extremely rarely to fix broken mechanics that trivialize the game (see hoops). Fun or Challenging, meh. You could make EQ more fun for yourself adding all these custom changes if you want I guess, but it wouldn't be EQ.

Sitting to camp and Standing to cast puts a little delay between actions and slows down have quickly people play (albeit slightly if using hotkeys). This is classic.

We dont play classic eq we play p99 eq. Doing silly things like this does not bring more people to the game, It does not enhance anyones game play, it does not help anything. It was changed in eq because it was stupid to have it any other way. This change goes back to a silly way of doing things. Its an easy work around with hot keys but just a pointless waste of time.

Erati
12-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Everquest = time sink

you figured it out hammertime !

hammertime7795
12-03-2014, 01:17 PM
I mean the devs time. I would think they would have better things to do then go back to broken, absurd, and mistaken mechanics. Like the gamma change that the eq devs themselves say was a mistake. Even at recent SoE live events they talk about that being a mistake. Boggles the mind why devs would waste their time trying to go back to that.

Ele
12-03-2014, 01:20 PM
I mean the devs time. I would think they would have better things to do then go back to broken, absurd, and mistaken mechanics. Like the gamma change that the eq devs themselves say was a mistake. Even at recent SoE live events they talk about that being a mistake. Boggles the mind why devs would waste their time trying to go back to that.

Because the devs are working to recreate classic everquest, whether or not you play here.

hammertime7795
12-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Because the devs are working to recreate classic everquest, whether or not you play here.

Recreating broken, absurd, and mistaken mechanics? And yes they do need me to play here and they need you to play here.

Bboboo
12-03-2014, 01:23 PM
We dont play classic eq we play p99 eq. Doing silly things like this does not bring more people to the game, It does not enhance anyones game play, it does not help anything. It was changed in eq because it was stupid to have it any other way. This change goes back to a silly way of doing things. Its an easy work around with hot keys but just a pointless waste of time.

I think the Devs/GMs have stated that they are interested in recreating classic EQ and don't much care if people like it or not, they can leave. Could be wrong on that.

Also with that in mind you should know that any little thing that isn't classic right now, that is something you enjoy, will potentially be changed down the line if it can be.

It's the reason why I keybound sit/stand when I first started.

Daldaen
12-03-2014, 01:25 PM
Because that was some of the thrill in the game.

Going into Blackburrow completely blind as a barbarian was an intense adventurous feeling. Getting lost in the dark woods of Nektulos was frightening as a low level Human who ventured too far.

For many, that immersion is what hooked them on EQ. That thrill or fear brought on by the darkness. For the meta questers who have BIS everything and calculated the hate per swing on their weapons, they will probably just modify how their computer handles gamma -- it's a quick change -- and not have to deal with it.

They admit the implementation wasn't the best, but the goal they were trying to achieve (classic darkness), is something still worth pursuing.

Sit camp and stand cast, just parts of the game. Just like fizzles, gate fails and resists.

hammertime7795
12-03-2014, 01:26 PM
This particular mechanic was changed during kunark anyway. So seems pointless to change it but you're right it does not affect me at all because I can /stand /cast macro all my spells. Just a pointless change and not correct with our current time line.

salimoneus
12-03-2014, 01:30 PM
It's the reason why I keybound sit/stand when I first started.

I think this is probably the best option for slugs like me who still use the mouse to click the spell bar directly. Like someone else said, using the move forward trick will likely get axed as well, so why not just go with a more future-proof method.

Erati
12-03-2014, 01:30 PM
this was changed during Kunark?

bah so we have to get to the super classic feel to only have it taken away with lazy mechanics :(

zanderklocke
12-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Recreating broken, absurd, and mistaken mechanics? And yes they do need me to play here and they need you to play here.

Developers do not need anyone to play here.

Nilbog has said multiple times he doesn't care if anyone plays on his box, and he is the head developer.

The developers run this server to see if they can recreate a classic EverQuest box; they do not care at all if we play on it or not. We just get to reap the benefits of it actually being open to the public.

Whirled
12-03-2014, 01:33 PM
...but.. if people didn't play here .. who would test BETA?

Bboboo
12-03-2014, 01:37 PM
The same people who have been testing beta this whole time.

noone =P

hammertime7795
12-03-2014, 01:41 PM

Nilbog has said multiple times he doesn't care if anyone plays on his box, and he is the head developer.

The developers run this server to see if they can recreate a classic EverQuest box; they do not care at all if we play on it or not. We just get to reap the benefits of it actually being open to the public.

Hes not being honest with you.

Ele
12-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Hes not being honest with you.

Your refund is being processed.

Daldaen
12-03-2014, 01:43 PM
http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20000928.html

September 2000, /camp is added to game.

Added the following /-commands:

/camp: Causes your character to camp out. You must be sitting to use /camp.
/disband: Will disband you from your current group, or turn down an invitation to join another group.
/invite: Will invite the target into a group, or accept an invitation if one is pending.
/attack: Will toggle the state of "Auto-attack". You may also add a parameter of "on" or "off" to explicitly set the state.

Then after Velious launches you get camp server and desktop.

http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20001219.html

Added parameters to the /camp command (the command that will cause you to camp out if you are already sitting). "/camp server" will take you back to the server selection screen. "/camp desktop" will take you out to the desktop following a successful camp. Despite popular request, "/camp spawn" will not be implemented.

Both of these explicitly state you need to sit or already be sitting to work guys :/.

salimoneus
12-03-2014, 01:50 PM
Camping is the least of my concerns, where as the stand/cast will greatly contribute to my carpal tunnel due to the frequency of use. Not complaining though, if it's classic I'm all for it. I think I have some serious work to do on my UI mechanics anyway.

NegaStoat
12-03-2014, 01:54 PM
I play characters that have the Forage skill so thankfully I was already used to Standing to start a spell cast.

I have the Forage skill as a macro bound to my Sit / Stand key as well as my forward movement key. The macro is...

/doability 1
/pause 2
/autoinventory

My bags and end up with tons of shit if I'm leveling in Kunark.

Veleria
12-03-2014, 03:49 PM
Classic does not mean good. Slavery is classic but we can all agree that is a bad thing. (shut up trolls yes we can agree on that) I am not a fan of the stand cast change but i suppose I can get used to it. I just hope that when the dev team considers making classic changes they also consider if it's good. There are a ton of classic things players hated but still played the game because the rest was good. Bad game changes are still bad whether classic or not.

Daldaen
12-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Good/bad is relative.

I won't argue your slavery point... But that's an entirely different animal. Comparing the enslavement of another man to forcing you to press another hotkey... Is some slippery slope straw man stuff.

I may consider the druid track cap being changed from 125->50 cause classic a bad thing. Since I'm a druid. But I'm sure people that now find up named mobs I would've sniped with my higher tracking skill has I known they were up, would think its a good thing.

Who is it that is the final arbiter who decides what's good and bad in Classic EQ? You? Me? Nope... The Devs and in this case when given the evidence they thought that's pretty classic and it may make people stumble a bit more (which is super classic), let's put it in.

SamwiseRed
12-03-2014, 03:55 PM

Whirled
12-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Must be standing to cast

Now that'd be some shit, floating/lev sitting & casting @ same time

Wrench
12-03-2014, 04:05 PM

your not really this dumb r ya?

theres a reason theres a bug forum

theres a reason theres was a forced beta

theres a reason nilbog will start threads asking for community research

theres a reason he takes volunteers for his dev teams

you honest to god believe any of that would happen if no one played on this server?

indiscriminate_hater
12-03-2014, 04:11 PM
Slavery is classic

Slavery is classic

Slavery is classic

out of context quoting for the win

Brocode
12-03-2014, 04:28 PM
some serious dickriders in here.

here's my 2 cents, even though nobody asked for it.

i've played for a month. pretty dedicated to lvl 48 cleric.

forced beta happens. fine. i could care less about velious but i understand the need to move to that era.

camp the forums mon-tue, nothing.

log in today, can't see anything. stand to cast. backwards ass changes after 4 days.

well, i understand that it's a free game, but before this weekend the illusion of EQ was real. it felt like i went in the wayback machine and was playing EQ for the first time again. now though, i feel disenchanted and the curtains have been lifted to the fact that this is an amateur team running an amateur server.

gm handholding on raids is not classic. i have nothing to look forward to end game with the nannyquesting that i hear about. i don't think i'll keep playing, sadly.

if you hit 60, you dont hear a ding, you hear Game Over!

Daldaen
12-03-2014, 04:32 PM
Would've loved to have heard your comments on classic EQ devs screw ups back in the day.

People will acclimate to the sit to camp and stand to cast changes very fast. They did with the map removal. They did with compass removal. They did with removal of 200 starting sense heading. They did with the removal of target circles. They did with the removal of con color in target box. They did with the removal of light blue cons. And so too they will with this change.

The gamma change can be circumvented easily if you don't care about classic immersion.

Brocode
12-03-2014, 04:44 PM

Best image ever :D

salimoneus
12-03-2014, 04:52 PM

forced beta happens. fine. i could care less about velious but i understand the need to move to that era.

log in today, can't see anything. stand to cast. backwards ass changes after 4 days.

well, i understand that it's a free game, but before this weekend the illusion of EQ was real. it felt like i went in the wayback machine and was playing EQ for the first time again. now though, i feel disenchanted and the curtains have been lifted to the fact that this is an amateur team running an amateur server.

gm handholding on raids is not classic. i have nothing to look forward to end game with the nannyquesting that i hear about. i don't think i'll keep playing, sadly.

I think the gamma change has been beaten to death, and even the devs have admitted in some fashion or another that it didn't get implemented quite optimally (asserted from the fact that a subsequent patch was already released to address some issues related to it). Give them a chance to make some further adjustments, I'm sure they did not intend to have the game be unplayable for anyone, assuming that is even the case as I haven't really confirmed it for myself yet.

And if the stand/cast is classic, nobody should really have any issues with it. Surely it won't take but a few minutes to adjust, even as a spell bar clicker I managed to get the feel for using a key bind to the sit/stand button in just a few minutes.

As for the raid rules and such, those are all valid points of contention and are still being debated by many. Even if you disagree with some of them as I do, it's somewhat understandable why the rules were put into place, the reasons being nobody's fault in particular. It's just the circumstances of having limited development and GM resources. As far as I know nobody on the staff is drawing a salary to sit and work on content releases or do support work 12 hours a day.

Thulack
12-03-2014, 05:48 PM

Peace out...Would ask for your stuff since your quitting but nothing a 48 cleric would have that i want :D

halfskye
12-03-2014, 06:07 PM
Fairly new P99 player here too (2-3 months) and hadn't played in 13 or so years. I recently and accidentally stumbled upon the auto-stand on cast with ALT + Spell Number and was pleasantly surprised. Prior to the realization I had been CTRL + S ing to Sit/Stand. Combined with my remapping of arrow keys to WASD for movement, I kept accidentally interrupting my spells due to micro backward movements. I had since created the Sit/Stand button to more rapidly Med after a cast. So I guess the new stand prerequisite won't be too painful.

Just wanted to share the sentiment of being surprised about the auto-stand behavior as I don't remember that at all in the old days. I definitely prefer that behavior over explicitly having to stand first though, for what it's worth.

webrunner5
12-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Because that was some of the thrill in the game.

Going into Blackburrow completely blind as a barbarian was an intense adventurous feeling. Getting lost in the dark woods of Nektulos was frightening as a low level Human who ventured too far.

For many, that immersion is what hooked them on EQ. That thrill or fear brought on by the darkness. For the meta questers who have BIS everything and calculated the hate per swing on their weapons, they will probably just modify how their computer handles gamma -- it's a quick change -- and not have to deal with it.

They admit the implementation wasn't the best, but the goal they were trying to achieve (classic darkness), is something still worth pursuing.

Sit camp and stand cast, just parts of the game. Just like fizzles, gate fails and resists.

I don't think you went into BB completely blind. You went through the tunnel from Everfrost to BB pretty much blind as a Barb. And it depended on what time of the day EQ time wise was. And I think we all have different memories of how it was.

stakha
12-03-2014, 06:18 PM
Just map sit to the keyboard. I use wasd and just have x for sit/stand.

lostcucusPass
12-03-2014, 06:27 PM
this sux a lot !

iruinedyourday
12-03-2014, 06:45 PM
Peace out...Would ask for your stuff since your quitting but nothing a 48 cleric would have that i want :D

rekt

Moodie
12-03-2014, 09:06 PM
http://i.imgur.com/5hHUeAr.jpg

SamwiseRed
12-03-2014, 09:10 PM
hey guys, samwise gamgee here.

1. DoTs shouldnt be showing damage, only wore off message should.

2. Scrolling out to 3rd person should not be possible

3. Buffs should not be showing duration even when pressing ALT

4. Buff stacking not working properly here. If you have an empty slot on top, the next buff should fill it. Example you have 2 empty slots then Skin Like Wood then SoW. Someone recasts SoW on you, it could goto the top slot. (being worked on according to dev)

5. When casting a spell from the sitting position it should give you message must be standing to cast a spell and not have you stand automatically. there is more than on design.

6. when camping from the standing position it should say you must be sitting to camp instead of sitting you down automatically.

7. not sure if bug or what but it seems like I hardly see my actual weapon swing while in first person view. if you look at this video i am linking, you certainly see the rangers weapons. this is not the case on here unless ranger epics are different. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVrOmBUDBS0

8. pretty sure this is client side but user should not be able to see how much mana he has as a number.

9. level up graphic not classic (Fixed)

10. linking items and multiple chat boxes not classic

11. apparently spell book shouldnt be 8 spells per page but a wierd design (dont remember this)
http://i.imgur.com/v5h4I.jpg

12. spells take long as HELL to memorize (both to spell book and to spell bar) on eqmaq. not even joking, probably takes at least 5x as long.

5 and 6, you are welcome :)

Faiding
12-03-2014, 09:34 PM
Classic does not mean good. Slavery is classic but we can all agree that is a bad thing. (shut up trolls yes we can agree on that) I am not a fan of the stand cast change but i suppose I can get used to it. I just hope that when the dev team considers making classic changes they also consider if it's good. There are a ton of classic things players hated but still played the game because the rest was good. Bad game changes are still bad whether classic or not.

Paper is classic, too. But that doesn't mean we should be making paper airplanes out of iPads.

Niedar
12-03-2014, 10:03 PM

Sorry, but he is full of shit or that quote is not in context. If he had an empty server he would have quit a long time ago.

SamwiseRed
12-03-2014, 10:04 PM
Sorry, but he is full of shit or that quote is not in context. If he had an empty server he would have quit a long time ago.

naw hes said something like that. he doesnt cater to us. this is his project, we just play on it.

iruinedyourday
12-03-2014, 10:04 PM

yea what a jerk, continuing to work on this because we all love it so much, for the love of the game.

my eyes are rolling so hard I'm blinder than a human in EC right now.

Ele
12-03-2014, 10:13 PM

May of last year from nilbog
My 'job' for p99 is spending my free time how I see fit. When I started the project, my goal was to recreate classic everquest so that it may exist somewhere. That continues to be my goal.

It (classic eq) continues to be lost over time as archived pages and historical information vanish.

Visitors to this museum in progress may litter or complain about posted rules, but it doesn't change the objective.