PDA

View Full Version : You know people could barely see at night...

Nirgon
12-03-2014, 08:17 PM
Was semi-hard even as a dark elf with a fire beetle eye as a newbie.

Your human or whatever should be nearly blind without a vision spell.

Hoping whatever change does finally go in ensures that on all makes and models!

Rais
12-03-2014, 08:39 PM
It wasn't hard to see the Character select screen. Did we have to become a nightelf just to select what toon we were going to play?

Thanks for another post of this is how it was in classic, but only partially true since I never played classic.

Tasslehofp99
12-03-2014, 08:47 PM
I remember dark elves' night vision being like tinted blue; similar to the way the buff Ultravision kind of gave your night vision a blueish tint I guess.

While it is true that it WAS way darker in classic EQ, you could atleast still see your UI boxes/chat lines without having to change your text colors. I literally had to change all of my text to either white or yellow just to be able to read it :(

Also, I noticed that light sources help but UV/Infravision/Serpent sight type buffs do absolutely nothing. That isn't really classic, I remember having to save plat for ages on live to buy that serpent sight ring for my barbarian because it was such a gamechanger. Your vision would have like a reddish hue with serpentsight/infravision instead of the blueish tint that darkelves had/ultravision gave.

Am I making this up in my head in regards to the effect of infravision/ultravision or do others remember it as well?

brokenkiller
12-03-2014, 08:49 PM
No I remember it too.

mwatt
12-03-2014, 08:54 PM
I'd love to see night-impaired vision go into the game for Humans and Barbs and such. Actually, for every race - some just deal with it differently/better than others.

Having said that, the current implementation is either using a wrong approach or else goes too far. Even with gamma at 100, I have the devil of a time seeing the thin blue line for experience in the UI. That right there pretty much demonstrates that it needs to be done a little differently. Daytime vision also seems too dark.

mwatt
12-03-2014, 08:55 PM
I remember dark elves' night vision being like tinted blue; similar to the way the buff Ultravision kind of gave your night vision a blueish tint I guess.

While it is true that it WAS way darker in classic EQ, you could atleast still see your UI boxes/chat lines without having to change your text colors. I literally had to change all of my text to either white or yellow just to be able to read it :(

Also, I noticed that light sources help but UV/Infravision/Serpent sight type buffs do absolutely nothing. That isn't really classic, I remember having to save plat for ages on live to buy that serpent sight ring for my barbarian because it was such a gamechanger. Your vision would have like a reddish hue with serpentsight/infravision instead of the blueish tint that darkelves had/ultravision gave.

Am I making this up in my head in regards to the effect of infravision/ultravision or do others remember it as well?

Nope, you are correct Tass.

Itap
12-03-2014, 09:00 PM
Nirgon, while i normally agree with your posts, i cannot with this one. Dark elves did not need fire beetle eyes to see at night. Dark Elf Vision was illuminated with a blue-ish tint that made it extremely easier to see over the human or barbarian.

Im all for a classic server too, but this is flat out incorrect, Nirgon

sulpher01
12-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Nm i take it back, they fixed it!

NegaStoat
12-03-2014, 10:16 PM
It wasn't hard to see the Character select screen. Did we have to become a nightelf just to select what toon we were going to play?

Heh, good one.

YendorLootmonkey
12-03-2014, 10:27 PM
Nirgon, while i normally agree with your posts, i cannot with this one. Dark elves did not need fire beetle eyes to see at night. Dark Elf Vision was illuminated with a blue-ish tint that made it extremely easier to see over the human or barbarian.

Im all for a classic server too, but this is flat out incorrect, Nirgon

Nirgon won't be happy until the DLL goes in that limits everyone's CPU/GPU speed and data transmission rates to circa 2000-2001 standards.

fishingme
12-04-2014, 01:05 AM

Thanks for another post of this is how it was in classic, but only partially true since I never played classic.

char select screen at 1:08 , shit's dark dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_zFeDe7ZeM

Rais
12-04-2014, 01:15 AM
char select screen at 1:08 , shit's dark dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_zFeDe7ZeM

So you just posted a video showing char creation of showing each race's light ambiance changes. Notice how it changes for each race? Good thing I said character select ability on choosing who you want to play. Not the back ground lighting of the toon twisting around.

It's reverted for the time being. There is a big difference between classic seeing, and not being able to even see your UI or toon name you want to enter the world with. This is the difference of what people were saying.

utenan
12-04-2014, 01:36 AM
I took photos of my monitor and posted them here http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173116&page=21 is this roughly how everyone else was seeing the game? I feel like people were exaggerating how dark it was or their computers were vastly different than mine. It's dark but i can see my Ui, names, ultravision helped, light sources helped even more, when titanium's bright night bs kicked in it helped even more.

in that youtube video at 2:29 when that guy is fighting the fire beetle imagine if his light source was taken away, it'd be super dark, much like that first picture of mine.

I mean I understand everyone's complaints about the gamma effecting everything else, and it's been changed soooo it doesn't even matter - I'm just curious.

Dillian
12-04-2014, 01:43 AM
lol nightelf

YendorLootmonkey
12-04-2014, 08:07 AM
I feel like people were exaggerating how dark it was or their computers were vastly different than mine.

We each have varying degrees of vision impairment due to frequency of self-pleasure, which clearly explains the wide spectrum of responses to the gamma change.

fishingme
12-05-2014, 10:10 AM
So you just posted a video showing char creation of showing each race's light ambiance changes. Notice how it changes for each race? Good thing I said character select ability on choosing who you want to play. Not the back ground lighting of the toon twisting around.

It's reverted for the time being. There is a big difference between classic seeing, and not being able to even see your UI or toon name you want to enter the world with. This is the difference of what people were saying.

Both char creation and char select looked the exact same on my screen. Why don't you try posting some pictures of it.

maahes
12-05-2014, 10:19 AM
Was semi-hard even as a dark elf with a fire beetle eye as a newbie.

Your human or whatever should be nearly blind without a vision spell.

Hoping whatever change does finally go in ensures that on all makes and models!

I remember this as well. I commented on it in a differen't post. I swear my DE rogue always carried a beetle eye still.

Snagglepuss
12-05-2014, 11:37 AM
I just posted about this in another thread, but here's a great example of what it was like as a human, barbarian, or erudite. I specifically remember keeping an extra lantern or fire beetle eye in the bank for CRs.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1416882&postcount=7

Crawdad
12-05-2014, 12:05 PM
Lovely patch, game has been far too bright for too long, ruins the ambiance. Infra/Ultravision still needs work, though. With infravision, NPCs and PCs should be giving off a red glow. Ultravision should give everything a blue tint.

<3 H. Been a great month in patches.

fastboy21
12-05-2014, 02:05 PM

What kind of self-respecting EQ classic player uses "night elf" instead of "dark elf"???

:p

captnamazing
12-05-2014, 02:24 PM
Did we have to become a nightelf

:mad:

Mandalore93
12-06-2014, 04:03 PM
Maybe you guys were just poor in 1999? I started in 2001 with trilogy client and never had any issues seeing when I adjusted gamma slider.

Doil_Boil
12-06-2014, 04:43 PM
It was dark in 99, but it didn't look like the patch adjustment looked. It was a deeper dark inside the game, rather than across the whole UI and game. I felt like the patch also washed the colors out on the game and made it look dingy.

buffmagnum
12-07-2014, 08:54 AM
Nanana booboo stick your head in doo doo. I do remember making a night elf finally and how cool it was in Neriak. Now and then I would use a spell that gave me the same ultra-vision as a night elf. Would me nice if they brought those renderings back, ATM I play an iksar necro so I think the DMF has the ultra just like night elf. I hope a new server comes out that starts classic all over at the original time line and I will for sure roll a night elf.
Night Elf
Dang it seems the only armor and weapon I can use is all/all.... and I'm KOS every place I go
Night Elf
Night elf

buffmagnum
12-07-2014, 08:55 AM
Night elf

Swish
12-07-2014, 09:04 AM
It was dark in 99, but it didn't look like the patch adjustment looked. It was a deeper dark inside the game, rather than across the whole UI and game. I felt like the patch also washed the colors out on the game and made it look dingy.

While it's "not (100%) classic" its closer to classic than it was before. People have calmed down in the last couple of days so I assume everyone's on good counseling courses etc :p

Dany
12-07-2014, 04:48 PM
You guys been screaming : "not classic!" forever and when they *try* to give you a classic EQ and it doesn't make you happy, you guys whine. Whinners. Truth is, it was very dark for some races. Now take it like a man.