PDA

View Full Version : Special Thank you

fastboy21
12-07-2014, 09:31 AM
This morning, as i sipped my coffee and charm kited mobs around it occurred to me...I really love EQ.

Thank you to Rogean and Nilbog and the other devs and supporters who have made p99 possible.

When p99 started up I was so certain it was a great idea that I figured there would be other projects to launch classicEQ (and there have been, but they all are horrible or never launched) and that even Sony might be so convinced to start up a classic server of their own.

Bottom line is that the only ones who can pull this off are the p99 team. If they pulled the plug tomorrow there would be no other place to play classic EQ anywhere. Thank you all for putting up with all the crap, we really do appreciate it.

See you in the matrix.

:)

Calibretto
12-07-2014, 09:41 AM
If they pulled the plug tomorrow I would go back to wandering various game worlds trying to fill a void. There's no E-world endowed enough to fill my void without P99.

Thanks guys.

Conscript
12-07-2014, 09:42 AM
I'm honestly not sure what I would do if they pulled the plug tomorrow.

I'd have to think really long and hard to going back to subscription based MMOs, the only thing I play right now is Guild Wars 2.

Swish
12-07-2014, 09:43 AM
Arguably P99 is way more classic than any of SOE's attempts at their progression servers, we're truly blessed to have it to play <3

NizmerThafen
12-07-2014, 12:28 PM
Aye. Thanks for the fun. I've been here for 5 years now and it hasn't lost its charm in the least.

Valrok
12-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Aye! Thanks!!

Esheon
12-07-2014, 04:58 PM
Arguably P99 is way more classic than any of SOE's attempts at their progression servers, we're truly blessed to have it to play <3

Psh, that's not arguable, it's pure fact.

Rararboker
12-07-2014, 05:05 PM
Psh, that's not arguable, it's pure fact.

sox7d
12-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Agreed. I think it's funny though that there are all these people organizing twink-free parties because the server's starting to feel less and less classic. Still better than anything else out there but still #wipeitclean2015

Faiding
12-07-2014, 06:22 PM
I'm honestly not sure what I would do if they pulled the plug tomorrow.

I'd have to think really long and hard to going back to subscription based MMOs, the only thing I play right now is Guild Wars 2.

P99 is truly a wonderful thing... I even enjoy it a little more than real classic back in the day (maybe since I'm not in 8th grade anymore?).

If they pulled the plug, I'd probably go back to Sony's EQ and just make the best of it. Especially since it's free as well for the most part. Except that ToV raid quality gear dropping off of orc centurions is kind of a buzzkill.

DetroitVelvetSmooth
12-08-2014, 12:40 AM
If they pulled the plug tomorrow there would be no other place to play classic EQ anywhere.

The thing is... someone would plug it back in, and it would basically be like a serve reset, which would be awesome for all the newcomers like me... soo... no?

fastboy21
12-08-2014, 12:42 AM
The thing is... someone would plug it back in, and it would basically be like a serve reset, which would be awesome for all the newcomers like me... soo... no?

the thing is that other folks have tried to do what you are describing, and they fail...miserably.

Ketu Garyx
12-08-2014, 01:54 AM
I have attempted to rope my friends into playing, hell, for years I have tried to get my girlfriend to give it a try. The occasional person tries, but they don't seem to last long. There is something about the awesome level of nostalgia that is offered here by the p99 team that only some of us can understand. Those who are new and never played classic, are rare, but they do exist and it great to see them play, but what the team has done for us veterans is more than we could ask for.

From the bottom of our hearts (some of them colder than others) we thank you.

DetroitVelvetSmooth
12-08-2014, 02:39 AM
the thing is that other folks have tried to do what you are describing, and they fail...miserably.

because we are all here

Tormax
12-08-2014, 08:23 AM
I have attempted to rope my friends into playing, hell, for years I have tried to get my girlfriend to give it a try. The occasional person tries, but they don't seem to last long. There is something about the awesome level of nostalgia that is offered here by the p99 team that only some of us can understand. Those who are new and never played classic, are rare, but they do exist and it great to see them play, but what the team has done for us veterans is more than we could ask for.

This ^

webrunner5
12-08-2014, 09:21 AM
I agree with the OP, but I still play live a lot. If you just want to go to the original zones up to Velious and not ever go to PoK or use the Bazzar and just farm and make your own gear without a Merc you can pretty much experience the same old stuff.

Nobody says you have to do AA's etc. I have 3 level 100 toons on there so I do both options. And it is free just like this with some limitations. But none that are a pain if you want to be sort of Classic. Just something to think about. Live is not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. Depends on what you like to do. There is a lot of options, and damn now there is a TON of zones.

Conscript
12-08-2014, 09:27 AM
I agree with the OP, but I still play live a lot. If you just want to go to the original zones up to Velious and not ever go to PoK or use the Bazzar and just farm and make your own gear without a Merc you can pretty much experience the same old stuff.

Nobody says you have to do AA's etc. I have 3 level 100 toons on there so I do both options. And it is free just like this with some limitations. But none that are a pain if you want to be sort of Classic. Just something to think about. Live is not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. Depends on what you like to do. There is a lot of options, and damn now there is a TON of zones.

My problem with Live was I wasn't able to "solo" unless I had a mercenary or boxed.

One of the best things on live was that some of the classic zones have had their graphics updated which look amazing. I wish this server had updated graphics on par with Live (even including the revamped zones i.e. Qeynos) while still keeping it classic.

Another great thing I wish this server had was AA which it will probably never see.

Ketu Garyx
12-08-2014, 09:58 AM
If you are talking about the luclin graphic updates you can still do that here. Do a forum search.

iruinedyourday
12-08-2014, 02:25 PM

maahes
12-08-2014, 02:26 PM
This morning, as i sipped my coffee and charm kited mobs around it occurred to me...I really love EQ.

Thank you to Rogean and Nilbog and the other devs and supporters who have made p99 possible.

When p99 started up I was so certain it was a great idea that I figured there would be other projects to launch classicEQ (and there have been, but they all are horrible or never launched) and that even Sony might be so convinced to start up a classic server of their own.

Bottom line is that the only ones who can pull this off are the p99 team. If they pulled the plug tomorrow there would be no other place to play classic EQ anywhere. Thank you all for putting up with all the crap, we really do appreciate it.

See you in the matrix.

1000+ posts and you just realized it was love? :)

captnamazing
12-08-2014, 02:38 PM
yes

rsloans84
12-08-2014, 02:41 PM
May i have a reach around too?

Poosammich
12-08-2014, 02:46 PM
Wanted to chime in here too, and verbally say thank you! I will be joining the ranks of those that have donated, but the boss won't approve anything "frivolous" until after the heathen babies have their Christmas! =] So....

THANK YOU!@!

Halius
12-08-2014, 03:40 PM
If P99 ended tomorrow here's how I see things playing out:

1. I would be sad about not having true classic EQ yet again. I would probably try out Warlords of Draenor (which I pre-ordered but still haven't reactivated my account to try), and get bored in about a week.

2. I would re-activate my FFXIV account and get a little excited about the prospect of maxing every class on one character, play for about a week and get bored because.... it's just not EQ.

3. Probably re-download RIFT and attempt to play again, once again only to be bored within a week as new MMOs just don't keep my attention long.

4. Mix in some random console games, random single player PC games, all lasting for brief periods before boredom.

This endless cycle would continue and I would never truly get my fulfilled gaming experience. I would miss my Classic EQ days, my P99 EQ days, and continue searching for the next EQ.

TL;DR No game can ever fill that classic EQ/P99 void.

Huge thank you to all the devs, gms, guides for everything you do here.

Arturo Fuente
12-08-2014, 03:51 PM
If P99 ended tomorrow here's how I see things playing out:

4. Mix in some random console games, random single player PC games, all lasting for brief periods before boredom.

This endless cycle would continue and I would never truly get my fulfilled gaming experience. I would miss my Classic EQ days, my P99 EQ days, and continue searching for the next EQ.

TL;DR No game can ever fill that classic EQ/P99 void.

Huge thank you to all the devs, gms, guides for everything you do here.

This

drdrakes
12-08-2014, 04:06 PM
ITT P99 >= Heroin

Pringles
12-08-2014, 04:08 PM
Ive often wondered what I would play next if P99 shut down, and I doubt I would find any games. EQ is really all I dabble in these days, everything else I've tried just doesn't compare.

I hope that if P99 every does go away that someone gets ahold of the code / db so we can spin it up elsewhere. It really is an amazing place to place.

This is a great time to donate some $ to the project to keep the operating expense in check. It can't be cheap, so lets not let it get shut down due to financial reasons!

Zliz
12-08-2014, 04:10 PM
Maybe, maybe not, since the P1999 modifications (compared to the public EQEmu code) are not released to the public. Thus, there is a small risk that we will some day all go "awww, fuck!" if the plug gets pulled and/or the devs "run away" with the source code. Still, it's unlikely since there are multiple developers, and some are bound to have local copies of the code somewhere, no matter what happens.

In a way, it's generally a terrible thing for an enthusiast-driven free project like this to be closed source, but I understand the reasoning to a degree. Let's just hope the best for the future.

Buellen
12-08-2014, 09:04 PM
IF the game was shut down i for see a few things:

1. More than a few folks would not be paying rent next month or two. as Their only income is this game.

2. More than few neckbeard would get an allergic reaction to sunlight as they step out of the "basement" for the first time time in months.

3. I will move on to emerald wow or try some other m.m.o around heck even fire up my swotr account maybe.

citizen1080
12-09-2014, 01:16 AM

^ Thank you Team P99

cormag
12-09-2014, 01:52 AM
Discovered/ started playing p99 a couple weeks ago and I love it! Its everything that made the original great. They dont make games like this anymore.

iruinedyourday
12-09-2014, 03:25 AM
Discovered/ started playing p99 a couple weeks ago and I love it! Its everything that made the original great. They dont make games like this anymore.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAp0A5sWzp9LRtfibaZihBxlZav_8cS 4mXK74gQ0mvkmZvWmmrQg

Clark
12-09-2014, 06:35 AM

See you in the matrix.

Amen. :cool: