PDA

View Full Version : Dear Rogean, Nilbog and the rest of the staff... I am begging you...

Bboboo
12-12-2014, 11:45 PM
When this whole Project 1999 thing is done and over with.
When the last code has been stitched into the fabric of this server.
When the final pair of balls has been drained on the last pixel of gear.

Please.

For the Love of God.

http://i.imgur.com/CeVH93F.jpg

There's hardly any (if any) good emulated servers out there (that I could find at least), and the dedication and hours of hard work you guys put into P1999... P2003 Would be ball dropping amazing.

Auvdar
12-13-2014, 12:03 AM
Is current FFXI that bad? Honestly asking, since I haven't played that in years! Also, I highly doubt Squeenix would be keen on a Emulated server. They pretty much drop the C&D on any non-licensed project like that. (Read: Chrono Trigger reboot)

Alukit Vassago
12-13-2014, 12:03 AM
http://wallpaper.ultradownloads.com.br/276179_Papel-de-Parede-Meme-Mother-of-God_1920x1200.jpg this will surely end many of people's social lives there is no casual in this game

towbes
12-13-2014, 01:45 AM
There's hardly any (if any) good emulated servers out there (that I could find at least), and the dedication and hours of hard work you guys put into P1999... P2003 Would be ball dropping amazing.

This already exists and just needs more population. PM me for details as I made this account just to tell you this and can't seem to send you PMs...

squarez
12-13-2014, 02:44 AM
sorry they only emulate good games... #burn

Aussie
12-13-2014, 02:50 AM
Warhammer Online needs work first ;)

Nisei
12-13-2014, 02:56 AM
Is current FFXI that bad? Honestly asking, since I haven't played that in years! Also, I highly doubt Squeenix would be keen on a Emulated server. They pretty much drop the C&D on any non-licensed project like that. (Read: Chrono Trigger reboot)

Yes, FFXI live is bad. They have like 20 jobs (classes), and only like 5 of them actually ever get invited to anything. Reroll or don't get invited. Because of this, there are tons of people who don't know how to play their fucking class. Abyssea killed that game.

Reguiy
12-13-2014, 03:19 AM
this will surely end many of people's social lives there is no casual in this game

Never played it, but unless there's perma death, I can't imagine it's much more hardcore than classic EQ.

Conscript
12-13-2014, 03:24 AM
Never played it, but unless there's perma death, I can't imagine it's much more hardcore than classic EQ.

Should try Eve Online

Classic EQ is a walk in the park

Gregor
12-13-2014, 03:42 AM
Yes, FFXI live is bad. They have like 20 jobs (classes), and only like 5 of them actually ever get invited to anything. Reroll or don't get invited. Because of this, there are tons of people who don't know how to play their fucking class. Abyssea killed that game.

You realize Classic FFXI was the exact same way right? Only a handful of classes were actually useful. I do agree Abyssea was terrible but the game itself was never that special. The dungeon design was absolutely pitiful as was most the class mechanics.

The main thing the game had going for it was it's semi turn based combat and combination attacks, depending on the patch.

nilbog
12-13-2014, 03:54 AM
You should start working on one yourself and see how far you get. We brought you classic eq; maybe you can do the same for ff.

Get to work!

Nisei
12-13-2014, 03:58 AM
You realize Classic FFXI was the exact same way right? Only a handful of classes were actually useful. I do agree Abyssea was terrible but the game itself was never that special. The dungeon design was absolutely pitiful as was most the class mechanics.

The main thing the game had going for it was it's semi turn based combat and combination attacks, depending on the patch.

A class being not so good and but still getting invited is different than a class not being so good and being forced to reroll if you want to do anything at max level.

Alukit Vassago
12-13-2014, 04:04 AM
You should start working on one yourself and see how far you get. We brought you classic eq; maybe you can do the same for ff.

Get to work!

This, this right here :D i'll just enjoy classic EQ

Aviann
12-13-2014, 04:02 PM
Jesus, all I can remember about the game was a full second delay on everything you would do from moving to fighting... It was bad.

Doil_Boil
12-13-2014, 04:12 PM

Get to work!

Couldn't you just, kinda, do it for him?

Swish
12-13-2014, 05:18 PM
The world needs a legit, uncorrupted WoW emulator without RMT, pay2win, silly XP rates, boxing, etc attached

Bboboo
12-13-2014, 05:19 PM

Get to work!

I have been lightly looking into this at the moment. I don't expect it to be an easy task either, but I have so much passion for this game. For as many things FFXI did right it would also did wrong. This game is such a flawed master piece in my eyes. I still think it had systems and mechanics that were ahead of its time and it's a shame that they have not been implemented in many more modern MMOs these days.

I tried to get back into FFXI last year and there was just so much stuff added to that game is was over whelming. Coupled with the fact that the game is heavily grind based I knew it would take forever to get any sort of footing. Exp groups had pretty much been replaced with mass raid exp groups and the servers were pretty empty. I kinda regret looking back at this game on live servers, I was sad as to what it became. I'm sure the game is still fun at the high end though.

This sounds like classic FFXI with the addition to how people play games today. Look at P99 where some people want to have the most efficient group setup no matter the level. I'm sure the other 15 classes are viable (yet the exp/raid encounter would be slower/harder) and you could get the job done, yet people would rather have their raid/group members just switch to the classes that would get the job done faster. (For those who don't know in FFXI you only had one character and you could switch to any class (job) you wanted).

FFXI was very much on par with EQ when it came to difficulty. I like to think FFXI redefined EQ mechanics in a way that they were still fair and challenging. You still lost exp on death, (there was even a graphic for when you de-leveled and every could see it, graphic (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6t8k1VRHxs#t=256), sound (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52q1zEK2fVc)) however you did not automatically release to your bind point once you died. You would have an hour to choose if you wanted to release or not (with an option menu). If you did release you lost that exp permanently, you would have no corpse to rez. If you wanted that exp back, you would have to sit there and wait for your White Mage friend/guildy to come and rez you, and if they took longer than an hour, time would expire and you would auto released you to your bind point. You would respawn with all your gear though, so no need for a corpse run, unless you were in an exp group, then you would have to run back to them.

Jesus, all I can remember about the game was a full second delay on everything you would do from moving to fighting... It was bad.

This was easily the worst part about this game. The reason for the 1-2 second latency or at least this is what I remember/was told at the time, was the servers being based in Japan. I remember people saying if you played in Japan you did not have the 1-2 second delay. This was a huge problem for when named mobs would spawn because people based in Japan would see those mobs first (this was later fixed in a patch I remember). I've always wanted to play this game delay free.

I could talk for hours about how great and bad this game was. I love EQ just as much, but from a game play perspective I got to hand it to FFXI.

The world needs a legit, uncorrupted WoW emulator without RMT, pay2win, silly XP rates, boxing, etc attached

People need RMT/Bonus EXP to play WoW? How bad are they at games?

Swish
12-13-2014, 05:27 PM
People need RMT/Bonus EXP to play WoW? How bad are they at games?

RMT gets everywhere sadly, but you're right.... pretty bad at life I'd say :p

Conscript
12-13-2014, 05:58 PM

Get to work!

Is it just me or when I read this post I felt this aura that compelled me to do something

Sadre Spinegnawer
12-13-2014, 06:38 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/57126352.jpg

NegaStoat
12-13-2014, 07:10 PM
The world needs a legit, uncorrupted WoW emulator without RMT, pay2win, silly XP rates, boxing, etc attached Several years back, I played on one that was hosted here in the USA. It was called Bloodcraft, and it was a Trinity Core emu that started with Burning Crusade and continued with Wrath of the Lich King. It had a humble start of like 15 people and over the course of its 5 year run, it had almost 1400 people logged on at once for a summer stretch.

It had 2 primary and one secondary members of the Trinity Core dev contributer team that called it home, and the whole thing was run for free. No donation gear, no voting gear, x1 rates, ruthless anti hack measures, exceptionally clever DDoS protection (for the time), routine PvP Arena sweeps of cheats / win trade busts... A person couldn't really ask for much more. It ran as a person's hobby and they accepted donations, but it had to be under the table through Pay Pal with every one marked with "gift with no goods or services implied or received."

They got a couple C&D's from Blizzard but they told them to screw off with the reply that it was run with no exchange of money or goods, was run as an Educational purpose exercise, and that all players stated they owned their own purchased client copy of the game. And lastly, the ISP host stood firm when Blizzard put pressure on them and told them to Eff off too, so Blizzard gave up trying. It's the ONLY US hosted WoW server I've seen that was successful with this.

The project ended after 5 years because the host grew bored with the project or possibly just had his fill of the crap and wasn't having fun anymore. A large part of it had to do with the countless, tremendous amount of hours put into bug fixes and script creation made free and public to Trinity Core, which other servers run for profit turned around and used and contribued jack-all in return, not sharing their own work.

I guess the point I'm making with all of this is that Nilbog and friends are goddamned Saints and that sometime down the road, this hobby will come to an eventual end. All great things eventually do.

Itap
12-13-2014, 07:55 PM
Several years back, I played on one that was hosted here in the USA. It was called Bloodcraft, and it was a Trinity Core emu that started with Burning Crusade and continued with Wrath of the Lich King. It had a humble start of like 15 people and over the course of its 5 year run, it had almost 1400 people logged on at once for a summer stretch.

It had 2 primary and one secondary members of the Trinity Core dev contributer team that called it home, and the whole thing was run for free. No donation gear, no voting gear, x1 rates, ruthless anti hack measures, exceptionally clever DDoS protection (for the time), routine PvP Arena sweeps of cheats / win trade busts... A person couldn't really ask for much more. It ran as a person's hobby and they accepted donations, but it had to be under the table through Pay Pal with every one marked with "gift with no goods or services implied or received."

They got a couple C&D's from Blizzard but they told them to screw off with the reply that it was run with no exchange of money or goods, was run as an Educational purpose exercise, and that all players stated they owned their own purchased client copy of the game. And lastly, the ISP host stood firm when Blizzard put pressure on them and told them to Eff off too, so Blizzard gave up trying. It's the ONLY US hosted WoW server I've seen that was successful with this.

The project ended after 5 years because the host grew bored with the project or possibly just had his fill of the crap and wasn't having fun anymore. A large part of it had to do with the countless, tremendous amount of hours put into bug fixes and script creation made free and public to Trinity Core, which other servers run for profit turned around and used and contribued jack-all in return, not sharing their own work.

I guess the point I'm making with all of this is that Nilbog and friends are goddamned Saints and that sometime down the road, this hobby will come to an eventual end. All great things eventually do.

Before it ends, I see them shutting down current blue and starting new, with all the bug fixes and correct timelines implemented.

Laberintica
12-13-2014, 10:13 PM
FF11 was the only other game I can compare to classic EQ in 1999. It was hard mode to the max - good luck soloing. Lots of time sinks and gearing

Nocsucow
12-13-2014, 10:30 PM

YESSS

Nisei
12-13-2014, 10:53 PM
FF11 was the only other game I can compare to classic EQ in 1999. It was hard mode to the max - good luck soloing. Lots of time sinks and gearing

BST master race

Herpa Derp
12-13-2014, 11:02 PM
Several years back, I played on one that was hosted here in the USA. It was called Bloodcraft, and it was a Trinity Core emu that started with Burning Crusade and continued with Wrath of the Lich King. It had a humble start of like 15 people and over the course of its 5 year run, it had almost 1400 people logged on at once for a summer stretch.

Having read what you wrote and after some genuflecting I am thankful beyond comprehension at this point for this server. This is one of the few things in the world that brings me any real joy anymore and for that to happen it puts a good amount of strain on a few people's lives. The kind of people that are passionate enough to live with that and continue on either for passion or willingness to make other people happy are the closest thing we may get to real angels or present day saints. What I mean is that all of the staff here are the fu**ing bomb, thank all of you guys so much.

And thanks for helping to give me some context for P99 in my life Nega.

Bboboo
12-13-2014, 11:13 PM
BST master race

Kinda regret never playing one. Would really like to see what it was like to solo in that game.

Byrjun
12-13-2014, 11:41 PM
I tried FFXI when it came out. EQ and Final Fantasy were like my favorite games back then, so I was pretty hyped for this game.

Turns out it was just a copy of EQ but made shittier. I played for like 2 months. Nobody wanted to group with my job (White Mage - I guess they sucked compared to Red Mage, go figure) and when they did it was a bunch of Japanese people you couldn't communicate with leveling their 7th job. There was no sense of exploration or "newness" since the game had already been out in Japan for about a year.

The UI sucked, the lag sucked, throwing new American players onto established Japanese servers sucked, being able to "own" mobs sucked, invisible walls everywhere sucked.

I wish I knew what people saw in that game. I spent more time playing Tetra Master online. In fact I think the only reason why I subscribed for more than a month was to play Tetra Master on PlayOnline.

SamwiseRed
12-14-2014, 12:00 AM
swg only other mmo worth emulating and its being done already.

Bboboo
12-14-2014, 12:25 AM
I tried FFXI when it came out. EQ and Final Fantasy were like my favorite games back then, so I was pretty hyped for this game.

Turns out it was just a copy of EQ but made shittier. I played for like 2 months. Nobody wanted to group with my job (White Mage - I guess they sucked compared to Red Mage, go figure) and when they did it was a bunch of Japanese people you couldn't communicate with leveling their 7th job. There was no sense of exploration or "newness" since the game had already been out in Japan for about a year.

The UI sucked, the lag sucked, throwing new American players onto established Japanese servers sucked, being able to "own" mobs sucked, invisible walls everywhere sucked.

I wish I knew what people saw in that game. I spent more time playing Tetra Master online. In fact I think the only reason why I subscribed for more than a month was to play Tetra Master on PlayOnline.

Curious as to when you played and how high level you got. White Mage was the main healing class in that game and was always needed in a group. It wasn't until later and much higher levels did an all melee, tankless exp group with a Red Mage and Bard was the way to go for super fast exp.

The thing I really liked about FFXI was that you really only had 1 character, one name. So if you had bad rep or sucked you wouldn't get invited to groups. Are you sure you wen't just bad at the game for the time?

FFXI took some elements from EQ but was hardly a copy.

Byrjun
12-14-2014, 12:47 AM
Curious as to when you played and how high level you got.

I started when the game was released in America. I think I got to like level 18 or so since 95% of my time was spent LFG. At that time/level the only acceptable support jobs were Red Mage and Bard.

So if you had bad rep or sucked you wouldn't get invited to groups. Are you sure you wen't just bad at the game for the time?

I didn't do enough or subscribe long enough to have a rep. And everyone was comparatively bad at the game since Square in their infinite wisdom decided to throw a bunch of American noobs onto preexisting Japanese server full of people who did know what they were doing, and couldn't communicate with the new players. Japanese players very rarely grouped with Americans because of this, and the ones that did were essentially power leveling newbie Americans out of kindness.

Not making new servers for the American release was a huge mistake. It could have been overlooked if it wasn't for the clunky UI, lag, poor balance, and lame game mechanics. The game just felt very second rate compared to EQ and DAOC.

iruinedyourday
12-14-2014, 12:55 AM

I agree with most of this, i just felt frustrated with the controls becuse 1. they were not eq controls and 2. it seemed like it was designed for a playstation controller and so on a PC it was really clunky to play.

I didnt give it much of a chance though, I am sure it was more to my liking than wow.

Bboboo
12-14-2014, 01:18 AM
I started when the game was released in America. I think I got to like level 18 or so since 95% of my time was spent LFG. At that time/level the only acceptable support jobs were Red Mage and Bard.

I didn't do enough or subscribe long enough to have a rep. And everyone was comparatively bad at the game since Square in their infinite wisdom decided to throw a bunch of American noobs onto preexisting Japanese server full of people who did know what they were doing, and couldn't communicate with the new players. Japanese players very rarely grouped with Americans because of this, and the ones that did were essentially power leveling newbie Americans out of kindness.

Not making new servers for the American release was a huge mistake. It could have been overlooked if it wasn't for the clunky UI, lag, poor balance, and lame game mechanics. The game just felt very second rate compared to EQ and DAOC.

Must of just been the server you were on. I remember grouping with Japanese players and Valkurm Dunes/Qufim Island always had a bunch of exp groups. At the lower levels you did have noobs not as you got higher levels expectations were more of people. Not to mention later in the game every 5 levels, starting at level 50, you had to do quests to raise the level cap so you could continue leveling. It was kind of a way to check the players and make sure they were interacting with eachother because you could not do these quests alone (aside from the 65 cap and Final Maat Battle).

Also the game had a auto translate feature so you could very well communicate with Japanese players.

And yes the most glaring limitation to this game was the fact that it was also on consoles. It held the game back so much. It's why the UI wasn't as great and was very menu based. I played this game from my keyboard alone as the mouse functionality was just terrible. It's why there were hardly any new mobs from patches/expansions, aside from old mobs colored differently.

cormag
12-15-2014, 02:46 AM

You gotta kill lots of crabs thats all I remember.

central scrutinizer
12-15-2014, 03:57 AM

I don't remember what server I was on but I played that upon release, and I got groups as anything. I even got groups as a BST and just hit crap with my axe and did not make a pet except during emergencies. I joined groups as all kinds of weird things like a white mage ninja with two hammers ect. Some builds were very effective, some were pointless, nobody cared.

I do agree that the servers were stupid but I'm sure it's a situation that foreign players deal with far more frequently. It sucks to be on the other side of that but it would have been fine...without the staff collusion. That was unfortunate.

And the Ui was pretty awful without macros.

Lord Traxor
12-15-2014, 06:30 AM
Far from hard mode, but I really want to find a City of Heroes/Villains emu. Was nice kill time gaming, and the game is gone from live servers! :(

myriverse
12-15-2014, 08:44 AM
Far from hard mode, but I really want to find a City of Heroes/Villains emu. Was nice kill time gaming, and the game is gone from live servers! :(
Yeah. I really hope City of Titans happens.

fadetree
12-15-2014, 01:34 PM

Man, I miss that game. It was awesome, and it wasn't even finished.

mwatt
12-17-2014, 01:34 PM
VG Emulator is in progress - pretty much alpha stage right now. Vanguard was a great game about 8 months after release, when the worst bugs were fixed and Sillyass and SOE hadn't yet started to WoWify it. If they emulate that time frame and add some proper itemization, it's going to be on par with EQ, in some ways better.

Glenzig
12-17-2014, 01:40 PM
VG Emulator is in progress - pretty much alpha stage right now. Vanguard was a great game about 8 months after release, when the worst bugs were fixed and Sillyass and SOE hadn't yet started to WoWify it. If they emulate that time frame and add some proper itemization, it's going to be on par with EQ, in some ways better.

Can't wait. Although I have heard from the lead dev that they aren't looking to do a whole lot of customization. It will be the version of VG that was available at sunset. I hope they change their mind.

mwatt
12-17-2014, 05:45 PM
Can't wait. Although I have heard from the lead dev that they aren't looking to do a whole lot of customization. It will be the version of VG that was available at sunset. I hope they change their mind.

Ugh... sunset version was kinda fucked up vs the original - in my opinion. They may have no real choice however. I really fricking hate charactors with shoulders the size of Kansas and weapons to match. Makes me puke. Also, itemization was badly needed.

Ah well, even if done in this manner, it will be pretty great I think.

wwoneo
12-17-2014, 11:24 PM
PFFT EFF FF ONLINE... BRING ON TEH DAOC EMU!

mwatt
12-17-2014, 11:49 PM
Pretty sure that a DAOC emu already exists.