PDA

View Full Version : Why do YOU care?

foldupmonk
12-29-2014, 10:15 PM
So a lot of threads have been made, tells have been sent, tears have been spilled.

Why do you care about what happens on this server? I mean honestly you can see there are several other servers out there that will fill everyone's needs but none seem to stop at the right expansion...

Why do you play P99 and then bitch about the content?

Herpa Derp
12-29-2014, 10:42 PM
Because it's fun and I like this server. And no matter what everyone's going to bitch about something . . .

Emile
12-29-2014, 10:48 PM
Entitled generation is OK with complaining about the quality of free stuff.

loramin
12-29-2014, 11:23 PM
I mean honestly you can see there are several other servers out there that will fill everyone's needs

False. Even if you completely ignore the question of content there still isn't a single other server that can hold a candle to P99. No one else has the community, the population, or the incredible staff that this server has.

And of course most people won't ignore the content. Personally I want to play EverQuest, not Bob's custom quest or Joe's half-baked-quest with a million differences from live. I also don't want the crazy pay-to-play EverQuest either, I want EverQuest as I remember enjoying it before I quit.

So really I don't blame anyone here for wanting "P99 + some expansions". By doing such a perfect job of re-creating the classic era, P99 has become a victim of its own success. Now we all want the same great opportunity, just with Luclin, PoP, or any other expansion we used to play before the game stopped being fun.

TLDR
P99 has some incredibly big shoes to fill, and so far no other server has even come close to filling them.

*EDIT*
I don't blame anyone for wanting other expansions; I absolutely do blame anyone who isn't respectful of the staff's desire to never have any of those expansions.

Sadre Spinegnawer
12-29-2014, 11:59 PM
So a lot of threads have been made, tells have been sent, tears have been spilled.

Why do you care about what happens on this server? I mean honestly you can see there are several other servers out there that will fill everyone's needs but none seem to stop at the right expansion...

Well, a lot of threads have been made, tells have been sent, and tears have been spilled on this very issue.

But why do you care what happens on this forum? There are tons of forums in the world. Do none of them serve your needs? Is life that bleak?

Why do you post here and then bitch about the content?

OH NOES I FELL INTO SAME TRAP!

webrunner5
12-30-2014, 06:03 AM
Well if everyone had the very same opinion as the OP, and I am not saying the OP's opinion is wrong, we would be living in a very boring world.

People asking, complaining, pissing and moaning is how things get changed in the world. Hell nothing is perfect. Why not try to make it better here and in real life. Sheepeople are not really the way things get improved.

Nilbog, Rogean, et all have done some great things with this server, but they are not perfect or Gods. That is why there is a bugs section, and hell even these forums. Head on over to the Rants and Flames forum and really have your eyes opened about people at their best lol. :eek::eek:

Whirled
12-30-2014, 10:14 AM
Some people just complain regardless of what the situation is. They could be immersed in lavish luxuries & still find something to moan+complain about instead of enjoying the present situation of those luxuries or perhaps even thinking any other positive thoughts.

/boggle

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t31.0-8/c0.4.851.315/p851x315/1008717_534927589877683_986594262_o.jpg

Be a part of the change for the better.

Ravager
12-30-2014, 10:14 AM
/played should answer your question.

People tend to care about the things they invest their time in, even if it's just a video game.

maahes
12-30-2014, 10:52 AM
EQ brings the worst out in many people. Period. You are dealing with a bunch of nerds investing a great deal of their time, of course we are going to care on an emotional level. Not to mention the sleep deprivation NerdQuest insists you subject yourself too. Add to that the smelly liberal attitude so many have when hiding behind anonimity online.

I hold EQ as the greatest game every made. I can never fully quit the game, but sadly, often, its the exposure to certain elements of the communtiy that dulls that enjoyment. But yet here I am.

webrunner5
12-30-2014, 02:28 PM
They never called this game Evercrack for no reason. :D

sox7d
12-30-2014, 02:37 PM

Short answer: One of the main reasons P99 is great is the population. I don't play red, but I'd have very few qualms about doing so if the populations were switched.

apio
12-30-2014, 03:09 PM
I agree with the sentiment that without complaining there is no change. That is why I don't understand when Developers get mad or take stuff personally, and then delay certain fixes to spite certain people. It is juvenile.

I also don't understand the fanboyism, it doesn't matter if you are playing an Emulator or a regular MMO, there will always be a high population of fanboys who see any criticism (even if is constructive) as a bad thing.

A good example apart from this community is the community of the lord of the rings online, where the population and game quality is steadily decreasing due to people defending the development vocally on the forums and by throwing money at Turbine.

Like everything in life, it is all about balance. If a Developer can be goaded into not doing his job, there is something wrong

kaev
12-30-2014, 04:28 PM
... I don't understand when Developers get mad or take stuff personally, and then delay certain fixes to spite certain people. ...

Got a source (link) to back up that accusation? I can recall a thread recently where Haynar responded to some self-important entitled bullshit with snark about not working on whatever was being bitched about anymore, and then admitted a few posts later that he wasn't working on it anymore because he had already finished the work. If that's what you're going on about you ought to withdraw the claim and apologize.

Itap
12-30-2014, 04:35 PM
I agree with the sentiment that without complaining there is no change. That is why I don't understand when Developers get mad or take stuff personally, and then delay certain fixes to spite certain people. It is juvenile.

I also don't understand the fanboyism, it doesn't matter if you are playing an Emulator or a regular MMO, there will always be a high population of fanboys who see any criticism (even if is constructive) as a bad thing.

A good example apart from this community is the community of the lord of the rings online, where the population and game quality is steadily decreasing due to people defending the development vocally on the forums and by throwing money at Turbine.

Like everything in life, it is all about balance. If a Developer can be goaded into not doing his job, there is something wrong

You do know that you can facilitate a "change" without complaining, right?

sox7d
12-30-2014, 04:41 PM

8/10 troll

myriverse
12-30-2014, 04:51 PM
...Developer... not doing his job...
Uh... not "job." "Hobby." Devs work at their leisure.

And we love them for it.

Calibretto
12-30-2014, 05:57 PM
Well if everyone had the very same opinion as the OP, and I am not saying the OP's opinion is wrong, we would be living in a very boring world.

People asking, complaining, pissing and moaning is how things get changed in the world. Hell nothing is perfect. Why not try to make it better here and in real life. Sheepeople are not really the way things get improved.

Nilbog, Rogean, et all have done some great things with this server, but they are not perfect or Gods. That is why there is a bugs section, and hell even these forums. Head on over to the Rants and Flames forum and really have your eyes opened about people at their best lol. :eek::eek:

Using "sheepeople" instantly made anything you said, or will say ever again completely irrelevant.

Bboboo
12-30-2014, 06:41 PM
I keep glancing at this thread and all I can think of is

http://i.imgur.com/UJn78xp.jpg

kaev
12-30-2014, 07:31 PM
I keep glancing at this thread and all I can think of is

You have a very sick mind Moriarty. Sick, sick, sick!

mokfarg
12-31-2014, 10:38 AM
Short answer: One of the main reasons P99 is great is the population. I don't play red, but I'd have very few qualms about doing so if the populations were switched.

And do you know why the population great on this emu server compared to the rest? It is because it has none of the expansions people are clamoring for or changes made such as the ugly new character models, teleporters, books etc.

People want classic trilogy Everquest not the other garbage.

apio
12-31-2014, 12:52 PM
And do you know why the population great on this emu server compared to the rest? It is because it has none of the expansions people are clamoring for or changes made such as the ugly new character models, teleporters, books etc.

People want classic trilogy Everquest not the other garbage.

I think you are wrong. Given the choice between P99 and an equal quality PoP era server, I think the population would be pretty even.

I would even say if TGC had the same level of quality content and DB wise and NO MQ2, it would probably also be even. And that is a server that includes LDoN and GoD

azeth
12-31-2014, 01:03 PM
I mean honestly you can see there are several other servers out there that will fill everyone's needs but none seem to stop at the right expansion...

I think you missed the mark here. There is not a single other server in the world like P99. It's not just the expansions. Even if XYZ server decided to do Classic -> Velious it would be a vastly different experience than p99.

P99 actually IS classic, and that's found no where else on the internet.

Don't even tell me EQMac and Alkabor are classic BTW

apio
12-31-2014, 01:51 PM
I think you missed the mark here. There is not a single other server in the world like P99. It's not just the expansions. Even if XYZ server decided to do Classic -> Velious it would be a vastly different experience than p99.

P99 actually IS classic, and that's found no where else on the internet.

Don't even tell me EQMac and Alkabor are classic BTW

EqMac and AlKaborProject aren't classic, theyre PoP era
P99 isn't classic, its Kunark era, soon to be Velious era

sox7d
12-31-2014, 02:47 PM
I think you are wrong. Given the choice between P99 and an equal quality PoP era server, I think the population would be pretty even.

Nah, P99 was a reaction to sentiment people had been begging for, for about 5 years prior to its release.

apio
12-31-2014, 08:17 PM
yeah that's what P99 started out as. Right now it is a safe haven for a lot of players, including Classic Fetishists, but also people from various other playstyles and with various other reasons for playing

Greengrocer
12-31-2014, 08:52 PM

There are a lot of really good things to bake and eat here, but there is no reliable source of cheese and there is no ice cream anywhere. I got tricked into playing here for the rat ear sandwiches, and now I discover that there is not only no ice cream here, but there is almost certainly NEVER going to be ice cream here.

This server is lactose intolerant and the devs and staff don't even care.

It's not fair, and I'm kind of pissed off about it to tell you the truth. This is most definitely a rant, but you specifically asked for it. I'm sorry if my response gets this thread moved to RnF.

My new years resolution for 2015 is to find a reliable source of dairy product in Norrath or delete and find a classic EQ server that doesn't discriminate against the cheese and ice cream lovers of the world.

loramin
12-31-2014, 08:56 PM
I got tricked into playing here for the rat ear sandwiches, and now I discover that there is not only no ice cream here, but there is almost certainly NEVER going to be ice cream here.

Hey, don't forget about the custom content that *may* happen after all the post-Velious patches (ie. maybe in 2019). That content *could* include ice cream, so if you start lobbying now ...

Ice cream in 2019!

(doesn't really roll off the tongue does it? may have to work on the slogan)

Feathers
01-01-2015, 02:50 AM
I think EQ necromancers are the best necromancers out there. I just love these pets!

http://tspigot.net/~xeyide/images/pet.jpg

coki
01-01-2015, 03:27 AM
They never called this game Evercrack for no reason. :D

webrunner5
01-01-2015, 04:53 AM
Using "sheepeople" instantly made anything you said, or will say ever again completely irrelevant.

See, you just proved my point about Sheepeople. Thanks.

maahes
01-02-2015, 03:19 PM

This is exactly how I feel about the folk who use the term "pixels". As if they are some how trying pretend they are not nerds. I mean come on, that was so four score and seven years ago!