PDA

View Full Version : Surgery on wrist due to bard

zanderklocke
01-06-2015, 02:12 PM
PSA to players, specifically bards.

Basically, playing EQ and constantly moving the mouse caused the inflammation of a ganglion cyst in my wrist, so now I am going into surgery next Tuesday to remove the cyst. Not sure how this will affect my ability to play for a few weeks/months.

I think the biggest damage/cause was from kiting to level up my bard two years ago. Often, I would keep my wrist locked into a kiting motion by moving the mouse for 10-15 minutes at a time even when in pain or my wrist was sore. After the kite was dead, I would then squeeze my wrist to crack my cartilage to relax the pain. Not a great idea, but I don't kite at full speed anymore and would probably never level a bard this way again. That's what developed the cyst, but since then, playing and kiting at slower speeds fairly often over the past year has now made my wrist worse.

I'll let you know the surgery is and post a picture of my cast.

Don't neglect or punish your body for EQ!

Cecily
01-06-2015, 02:16 PM
Yeah Culprit got carpal tunnels from playing bard, and I've spoken to other bards with the same issue.
Should probably go ahead and not play a bard in EQ.

zanderklocke
01-06-2015, 02:18 PM
Yeah Culprit got carpal tunnels from playing bard, and I've spoken to other bards with the same issue.
Should probably go ahead and not play a bard in EQ.

Yeah, I'm thankful I didn't get carpal tunnel. My issue should be easily fixed with surgery. I had a cyst removed on my other wrist in 2011, and that one works great now.

Danth
01-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Notably, the EQ Bard requires less button-mashing than characters in any number of newer role-playing games. As such, I expect as the general gaming population grows older these sorts of problems will increase in frequency.

I'm middle aged and if my arms or wrists get a little sore I stop playing. Not worth physical injury for a computer game. This is actually one of the reasons I'm on Project1999: most classes here have a fairly pedestrian rate of button input, so physical strain is lessened versus that of most other role-playing games. Excessive button spam and risk of long-term injury were the direct reasons I stopped playing both Warcraft and Vanguard in particular.

Danth

Cecily
01-06-2015, 02:22 PM
The fact that surgery is necessary.. just sucks. That's how you fix CT too. GL with your operation.

http://assets.razerzone.com/eeimages/products/13785/razer-naga-2014-right-03.png

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice

Get one of these and learn how to use it. That was what a TMO bard recommended to me when I was trying to talk Culprit out of turning his bard into a naggy alt and maining a rogue.

zanderklocke
01-06-2015, 02:25 PM
Notably, the EQ Bard requires less button-mashing than characters in any number of newer role-playing games. As such, I expect as the general gaming population grows older these sorts of problems will increase in frequency.

Danth

For me, it wasn't actually pushing keys. It was the mouse moving motion while holding down the right click button without releasing for so long. I dunno why people say twisting causes carpal tunnel; that's just pressing a key every 3 seconds.

Danth
01-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Twisting shouldn't cause carpal tunnel--the mouse is more likely to do that, as you say. However, excessive button spam can and does cause RSI-related injury instead. Both are issues any long-term player should be aware of.

Danth

zanderklocke
01-06-2015, 02:30 PM
This is what I have used:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81tGjsWS1EL._SL1500_.jpg

Ella`Ella
01-06-2015, 02:37 PM
The fact that surgery is necessary.. just sucks. That's how you fix CT too. GL with your operation.

http://assets.razerzone.com/eeimages/products/13785/razer-naga-2014-right-03.png

Get one of these and learn how to use it. That was what a TMO bard recommended to me when I was trying to talk Culprit out of turning his bard into a naggy alt and maining a rogue.

What do you know about using a mouse? =P

Also, look how that turned out for Culprit...

triad
01-06-2015, 02:38 PM
i feel your pain zander .. had shoulder surgery #6 this past friday .. still a bit painful to play

Ele
01-06-2015, 02:39 PM
Get classic.

http://i.imgur.com/PqyD506.jpg

Hope it all goes well.

Troubled
01-06-2015, 02:45 PM
Have levelled 2 bards on blue and one on red solely by strafe kiting. Will I need an amputation?

Cecily
01-06-2015, 03:06 PM
What do you know about using a mouse? =P

I ultimately failed to talk him out of it and he became a rogue RMT scumlord instead of a bard RMT scumlord. Some people. I tell ya. Teach them how to run rogue epics easily and they go and quest them 100+ times. Yes, I ruined the server. :(

http://i.imgur.com/vzGQ0Ax.jpg

Been using one of these since rogue BoTB.

thieros
01-06-2015, 03:10 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/96/Trackball-Kensington-ExpertMouse5.jpg

Cecily
01-06-2015, 03:18 PM
Anyways, the whole point is you're all gonna die from not having enough mouse buttons. If repetitive strain from twisting is your problem, that mouse I linked earlier would help. For Zanderr, I guess it wouldn't.

Ella`Ella
01-06-2015, 03:21 PM
Zanderr, as most everything you own on Zanderr you bought from me in one way or the other, I humbly accept all those items back should you not make it out of surgery.

Portasaurus
01-06-2015, 03:39 PM
Better call Juntsie

Loke
01-06-2015, 03:52 PM
This is why I pretty much only played Gileren on raids after getting 60. Late 20s is way too early to be having wrist/hand issues, and I had a few grind sessions doing 58 and 59 that left me feeling like I had arthritis or something. Love playing a bard, but I almost never do anything on him that requires extended play anymore.

Good luck with the surgery man - hope it all works out for you.

Bboboo
01-06-2015, 03:52 PM
For anyone that hates the button layout on the Razor mouse, I've been using a Corsair M90. Feels more comfortable with the buttons around your thumb. The Razor mouse just feels like they cut off the numpad of a keyboard and just slabbed it onto the side of the mouse.

http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2012/02/corsair-vengeance-m90-review/M90-l-1.jpg

oblexsis
01-06-2015, 03:58 PM
I use a naga , leveled 2 bards via swarm kiting now im stuck using a wrist rest for the rest of my life . Thanks everquest ill never forget ya now !

evilkorn
01-06-2015, 04:04 PM
My m90 didn't last a year on p99. Nice mouse and decent options, just didn't last as long as I would have liked.

Joyelle
01-06-2015, 04:09 PM
Get well soon!

Nirgon
01-06-2015, 04:12 PM
grats Bundy on bard epic

Come play red

sorry bout yo wrist mang

Itap
01-06-2015, 04:21 PM
Zander, first its running home from concerts to kill Maestro, now It's season ending wrist surgery. Time to step away from EQ bud

Erati
01-06-2015, 04:25 PM
this means Moodie has to step up his Fashion/TunnelQuest game and look extra sexy for when Zander is on the DL

Zander's injury is gonna kill alot of P99 Fantasy teams that took Zander as one of the first bards off the board

( me being one of them, damn you Zander !!! the bards on the waiver wire are absolute crap. Mahande??? Fifield??? Trookle??? who the fuck are these loser Taken bards avail on the waiver wire. I wish I just picked Imslap first even tho he sucks bc he left Taken /sigh )

falkun
01-06-2015, 04:57 PM
Damn Zanderr...whenever my wrist started cramping up, I knew it was time to throw in the towel for the day.

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Thyrm
01-06-2015, 05:13 PM
I had one of those cysts a few years ago in my wrist. Doctor said I'd need surgery too, but I just waited and it went away by itself.

Bboboo
01-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Oh also post pics of cyst and the operation, and get well soon I guess too.

Pringles
01-06-2015, 05:22 PM
Shits classic.

Also, that sucks :(

JackFlash
01-06-2015, 05:24 PM
http://www.logitech.com/assets/32954/4/logitech-wireless-trackball-m570.png

Been using one of these for a while. Eliminates the whole moving the mouse thing....I'll never go back.

Flamewraith
01-06-2015, 05:25 PM
This is sad to hear, good luck with everything. Why did this have to happen to one of the few not asshat bards?

zanderklocke
01-06-2015, 05:29 PM

Carpal tunnel. The true cause of RMT.

Zombiehasslehoff
01-06-2015, 05:31 PM
Damn, get well soon. May your recovery be as fast as your Selos!

I gotta use this to recommend controllers for "circle kiting" bards. Just keeping your wrists up isn't enough when they are locked for that long. I made a reddit thread awhile back but I doubt many took my advice. If you have a wired 360 controller it will plug right in a USB port. You can also buy "XBOX controller for Windows" that has a USB dongle that will work with any wireless 360 controller. Amazon link (http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-Wireless-Controller-Windows/dp/B004QRKWKQ/)

Once you have the controller you can use several apps to bind the buttons to keys to use with EQ. I use Xpadder, but there are others such as Pinnacle. I haven't used the former, but Xpadder lets you set up different profiles that are easy to switch on the fly.

- Downstairs Mixup

Itap
01-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Damn, get well soon. May your recovery be as fast as your Selos!

I gotta use this to recommend controllers for "circle kiting" bards. Just keeping your wrists up isn't enough when they are locked for that long. I made a reddit thread awhile back but I doubt many took my advice. If you have a wired 360 controller it will plug right in a USB port. You can also buy "XBOX controller for Windows" that has a USB dongle that will work with any wireless 360 controller. Amazon link (http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-Wireless-Controller-Windows/dp/B004QRKWKQ/)

Once you have the controller you can use several apps to bind the buttons to keys to use with EQ. I use Xpadder, but there are others such as Pinnacle. I haven't used the former, but Xpadder lets you set up different profiles that are easy to switch on the fly.

- Downstairs Mixup

That sounds like a great idea, but is it legal here?

duct tape?

loramin
01-06-2015, 06:10 PM
That sounds like a great idea, but is it legal here?

duct tape?

As I remember it the GMs' response to this very issue was something to the effect of:

if you are just binding keypresses to buttons, that's totally legal, because you're just doing the same thing anyone can do. However, if you bind multiple keypresses to buttons, or pauses and keypresses combined, or anything else that a normal user with a normal keyboard couldn't do unless they used a banned program like that AutoHotKey thing, THEN you are violating the rules.
- not an actual quote

However, the GMs said it better and I'm sure you can find their response if you search (I'm just too lazy).

loramin
01-06-2015, 06:11 PM
http://www.logitech.com/assets/32954/4/logitech-wireless-trackball-m570.png

Been using one of these for a while. Eliminates the whole moving the mouse thing....I'll never go back.

Doesn't that just move the pain from the wrist to the muscle right behind your thumb? I've avoided buying a mouse wheel for that very reason, but I'm curious to hear from someone who actually uses one regularly.

Kekephee
01-06-2015, 06:21 PM
I'll get carpal tunnel from compulsively masturbating for the last 16 years before I get carpal tunnel from bard, guaranteed

SamwiseRed
01-06-2015, 06:31 PM
I'll get carpal tunnel from compulsively masturbating for the last 16 years before I get carpal tunnel from bard, guaranteed

unless you masterbate with tweasers i dont think so

Orruar
01-06-2015, 07:07 PM
Do the top guilds here offer dental plans to deal with all the facemashing to kill 32k dragons?

iruinedyourday
01-06-2015, 07:12 PM
i found kiting ez on my wrists, my strat was to use auto run, and to put a heavy bolt on my strafe key when it was time to start circiling..

all i had to do was minor mouse moves to keep my circle and I had one hand free to [CENSORED] while I looked at those massive EXP message spams.

Sorry about your wrist Zander :( I guess it just means you are more immersed than all of us to have actual damage done by EQ

Samoht Farstrider
01-06-2015, 08:48 PM
Why I use key turn instead of mouse turn.
GL with the surgery.

Master Roshi
01-06-2015, 10:00 PM
play with xbox controller and win life

Mandalore93
01-06-2015, 10:08 PM
When I strafe kite I completely change how I sit so that it puts the minimal strain on my wrists and I take long breaks when I do it. Not only is strafe kiting super boring but damn can it start to hurt lol.

sakenagi
01-06-2015, 10:48 PM
we're not the enthusiastic 8-15 yera old boys who can play 14 hours a day and micro like crazy.... my hands are definitely feeling wear and tear. but i stop when it beginsi to feel an millimeter of tension.

Portasaurus
01-06-2015, 10:52 PM
Good Zanderr, I don't think maxing out all the trade skills helped your wrist either. However I still regard you as a champion of champions for the accomplishment!

Having said that, some day I will create a thread titled "surgery on my wrist due to baking stat-less food items"

But will it hold me back?

Like hell it will.

Sirken
01-06-2015, 10:53 PM
poor bards, shits classic :)

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
01-07-2015, 12:22 AM
I accidentally burnt myself making a quiche while Afk grouping on my wizard.

Pls send donashins

Messianic
01-07-2015, 12:46 AM
Not metal enough

zanderklocke
01-07-2015, 01:06 AM
You sound like a real winner.

No. I am loser.

Pringles
01-07-2015, 01:28 AM
Pls send donashins

Kicking you in the shins np!

Clark
01-07-2015, 05:50 AM
Sounds like a very easy surgery man nothing to worry about. Not having anyone cut into your chest, belly, head, or back is always a plus. Should recover good.

Whoop
01-07-2015, 07:52 AM
Get a ps3/ps4/xbox controller and play from the sofa. Much easier on our old and worn out bodies :)

Catashe
01-07-2015, 10:18 AM
No. I am loser.

Must be revenge from all that powerleveling you do.. lol

indiscriminate_hater
01-07-2015, 11:44 AM
Hope ya get better soon. Time to rearrange your gaming station :)

Arkaan
01-07-2015, 11:48 AM
geezers :D

webrunner5
01-07-2015, 11:55 AM
Just start playing a Wizard in a group. 3 clicks for DD and done for 10 minutes. Problem solved. :D

Time for sex, lunch, reading the newspaper etc..

Laugher
01-07-2015, 12:38 PM
Let this be a lesson to all of you in OT taking all those kills from the new-found RnF posters of their mid-30s :p . jk, you guys are ok (until you need surgery).

criddopher
01-07-2015, 12:44 PM
Doesn't that just move the pain from the wrist to the muscle right behind your thumb? I've avoided buying a mouse wheel for that very reason, but I'm curious to hear from someone who actually uses one regularly.

used one of these since live 15 years ago. No pain anywhere ever. (logitech thumb trackball)

sakenagi
01-07-2015, 01:08 PM
what's the best keyboard to use the less strain on your left hands

Rec
01-07-2015, 01:24 PM
I'd like to play a bard but no way if there isn't /melody

captnamazing
01-07-2015, 01:29 PM
sorry bud - i know Savannah has said she thinks she got Carpal Tunnel from barding lol

Laugher
01-07-2015, 01:36 PM

Given the summary of the policy on automated key presses earlier in this post I'm not sure if it's kosher to use one but Logitech g19: wouldn't have to mash as much with one at least

Rararboker
01-07-2015, 02:03 PM
Hey look at this! One time that playing a lolwizard isn't so bad. Spent like 55% of my time afk while lvling up to 60. Only have to kite mobs occasionally and you generally kill them within 45 seconds to 2 minutes at most.

sanforce
01-07-2015, 02:18 PM
I love playing bards, but they are too much damn work. I generally only raid on my bard now (when I'm active) and tend to group on my rogue, because I'd rather have a more relaxing group experience.

Bards are pretty easy on a raid. Get your songs setup, position yourself with your mouse, and then just mash 1, 2 2, 3 3, 1 1, 2 2, 3 3 ... until the mobs is dead. (generally)

In a group situation, all 8 song slots get used, and that shit can get tiring. Tho, I am really enjoying playing my bard on red right now. And after some downtime, the only real way to get back to boss bard status is through grouping.

I expect to be grouping a lot on my bard come Velious, and will cut that shit out when my wrist starts throbbing. You should probably sideline Zanderr until then (other than on raids) so you can actually play him whenever Velious launches.

Sorry to hear that you need surgery! (time to utilize some alts)

Jitsumo
01-07-2015, 02:43 PM
I guess it's time to change your name to wristlocke.

Is this thing on...?

Macha
01-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Some people ordered these ergonomic mice at work...
http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-16016120845095/evoluent-vertical-mouse-4-vm4r-right-hand-wired-mouse-1.png

I honestly can't stand them but they are MUCH better for your wrists. Maybe try that out as you are recovering.
Good luck with the surgery and healing process!

sakenagi
01-07-2015, 04:51 PM
wow. that mouse is shaped to our natural holding......position........

ehmmm.

Samoht Farstrider
01-07-2015, 05:01 PM
I love playing bards, but they are too much damn work. I generally only raid on my bard now (when I'm active) and tend to group on my rogue, because I'd rather have a more relaxing group experience.

Bards are pretty easy on a raid. Get your songs setup, position yourself with your mouse, and then just mash 1, 2 2, 3 3, 1 1, 2 2, 3 3 ... until the mobs is dead. (generally)

In a group situation, all 8 song slots get used, and that shit can get tiring. Tho, I am really enjoying playing my bard on red right now. And after some downtime, the only real way to get back to boss bard status is through grouping.

I expect to be grouping a lot on my bard come Velious, and will cut that shit out when my wrist starts throbbing. You should probably sideline Zanderr until then (other than on raids) so you can actually play him whenever Velious launches.

Sorry to hear that you need surgery! (time to utilize some alts)

Why not set up macros so you dont have to start and stop songs by tapping twice. You can start a song and stop a song with one click.

Macha
01-07-2015, 05:39 PM
wow. that mouse is shaped to our natural holding......position........

ehmmm.

I'm shocked there's no photoshop action yet

sanforce
01-08-2015, 02:09 AM
Why not set up macros so you dont have to start and stop songs by tapping twice. You can start a song and stop a song with one click.

missed notes make this a no no

pharmakos
01-08-2015, 02:24 AM
P99 confirmed toxic.

georgie
01-08-2015, 02:25 AM
consider using your shoulder and not your wrist (x

Macha
01-08-2015, 02:43 AM
missed notes make this a no no

Actually you just set it to stop song then start a new one... missed notes are no problem you just hit the button again.

Macro 1
/stopsong
/cast 1

Macro 2
/stopsong
/cast 2

etc...

It takes a minute to setup 8 macros then you have them forever!

pharmakos
01-08-2015, 02:44 AM
half as many bard button presses is still a lot of button presses

OfftuneRZ
01-08-2015, 03:35 AM
Are you serious ? Lol get off eq and go outside you nerds

Bazia
01-08-2015, 03:54 AM
sure it isnt genetic as u said u had one in ur other wrist before?

Swish
01-08-2015, 04:38 AM
Forumquest is a safe hobby Zanderr, give it a try ;)

pharmakos
01-08-2015, 02:02 PM
idk swish. forumquest is physically safe, but i've seen some forumquesters lose their mental marbles over this place...

derpcake
01-09-2015, 04:16 PM
Just get a keyboard with macros & macro it.

I haven't played a bard in a long time at any serious level of play, but twisting 4-5 songs for hours on end?

Yea fuck that. They didn't invent /melody as a luxury, its a necessity. Keyboard macros are slightly less shitty then the performance you can get from hotkeys, but they are 10x worse then a real manual twist. When timed with server ticks you can keep 5 songs up pretty reliably, but hey, who wants to bother with that in 2015 :)

Priceline
01-09-2015, 06:39 PM
readers digest TLDR version:

don't aoe kite, it will cause you harm IRL! instead charm/fear kite or group, will also cut down on weekly bard hate threads

webrunner5
01-09-2015, 10:04 PM
I'm shocked there's no photoshop action yet

I think maybe you and me are the only ones that get it. :eek: And I am terrible at Photoshop. :)

zanderklocke
01-13-2015, 01:04 PM
http://s3.postimg.org/g3bppxlub/image.jpg

The doctor said I talked about online gaming when I was under the influence of drugs. I can only imagine it was Class C/R politics.

maskedmelon
01-13-2015, 03:13 PM

Check out an n52te. It is not a keyboard, but it is AMAZING.

jakedubbleya
01-13-2015, 05:02 PM
I had the same surgery from learning Pashto and having to write backwards for a year.

Army sent me to a titty doctor who didn't know shit about wrists and now the inside of my thumb is permanently numb and I can't bend my wrist all the way back lolololol :(

Alternatively you can thwack it really hard with a big book like they used to do back in the day, temporary solution you can keep repeating to avoid surgery.

stormlord
01-13-2015, 10:37 PM
I hurt my wrist doing pixel art. It's computers in general which causae a lot of trouble, e4specially wrong posture and wrong height of mouse/keyboard. But even if you got everything right, repeated uses of the computers for decades will eventaully cuse trouble.

sakenagi
01-14-2015, 06:07 AM
the game isn't aging. but we are......

Eliseus
01-15-2015, 02:26 AM

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice

not classic.

Mentathiel
01-15-2015, 05:40 AM
not classic.
In 1999, we all had bodies 15 years younger. We could take the abuse and bounce back, in those days when a diet of pizza and diet coke still fuelled our athletic forms. We could twist bard songs and shoot our bows all day long without fear of RSI.

A mouse that lets us do those things again? Sounds classic to me...

Eliseus
01-15-2015, 06:08 AM
In 1999, we all had bodies 15 years younger. We could take the abuse and bounce back, in those days when a diet of pizza and diet coke still fuelled our athletic forms. We could twist bard songs and shoot our bows all day long without fear of RSI.

A mouse that lets us do those things again? Sounds classic to me...

Ok. Not classic still.

Rangerest
01-15-2015, 06:53 AM
Glad your surgery went well

Portasaurus
01-15-2015, 01:20 PM
The doctor said I talked about online gaming when I was under the influence of drugs..

Sounds like you are properly immersed!