PDA

View Full Version : Cultural Smithing Costs

firesyde424
01-16-2015, 04:52 PM
I just hit 170 smithing and I was looking at Ornate for further skill ups. I also took a look at High Elf cultural smithing and was shocked.

For just the enchanted BP and Legs, I need 20 blue diamonds to enchant enough mithril. Assuming I wanted the entire set, I'd need 85 blue diamonds. Last I saw, blue diamonds were selling for 2-3K each. That's a phenomenal amount of money. If what I'm seeing is true, I'm guessing there's no point further increasing my smithing skill?

Swish
01-16-2015, 05:16 PM
For just the enchanted BP and Legs, I need 20 blue diamonds to enchant enough mithril. Assuming I wanted the entire set, I'd need 85 blue diamonds. Last I saw, blue diamonds were selling for 2-3K each. That's a phenomenal amount of money. If what I'm seeing is true, I'm guessing there's no point further increasing my smithing skill?

I have a dark elf cleric who wasn't max blacksmithing but was getting there when that change got put in place. Luckily I have a set for myself but I don't envy anyone else who wants a set now.

If you have a 60 enchanter/shaman/etc you could spend your life at NG in Sebilis, lock the camp down til you've farmed 85 BDs and forego having to pay for them :D

It's a shame really, cultural is so good... and unfair that some people get away with being able to use jacinths for theirs ;p

Thulack
01-16-2015, 06:45 PM
The armor will not need BD's come halfway though Velious in a patch. So it might be useful for some pieces then but right now its not worth it.

firesyde424
01-16-2015, 08:03 PM
Well, in the mean time, what, if any tradeskills, can a High Elf cleric make money from?

loramin
01-16-2015, 10:09 PM
Well, in the mean time, what, if any tradeskills, can a High Elf cleric make money from?

None. It doesn't matter what class/race you are, tradeskills (in classic EQ at least) are for losing money, not making it.

Not trying to be mean or anything, but that's the truth, at least on a server of this age (maybe when it first started things were different). Jewlerycraft can "make" money, but to get to the skill needed to do that you will have to spend a TON of money, and it will likely be years before the money you "make" with jewlerycraft balances out all the money you spent on it in the first place. As for the rest of the tradeskills, they can't even make money at all really (although tailoring might be able to in Velious).

You probably can make a little money selling SoW potions or 10-slot backpacks, since both require very little plat to get to the necessary skill level. However, when you factor in all the time you spend both making the goods and sitting in EC trying to sell them, you'll quickly realize how un-profitable doing either one really is.

My advice (as I say in the Treasure Hunting Guide (http://wiki.project1999.com/Treasure_Hunting_Guide)) is to not worry about money. You really don't need it at the lower levels, and once you level up you'll be able to earn plat much more easily.

Swish
01-17-2015, 12:48 AM
No doubt the best way to make money is to level to the 50s and then start getting those "alpha on gems" groups :)