PDA

View Full Version : What class to pick for newbs?

eqravenprince
12-30-2009, 05:04 PM
How would you rank the following categories? Mostly for fun, plus I'm bored at work. Feel free to add or subtract or simply reorder what I have.

Best Tank
1. Shadow Knight
2. Paladin
3. Warrior

Best Healer
1. Cleric
2. Druid
3. Shaman

Best CC
1. Enchanter
2. Bard

Best Puller
1. Monk
2. Shadow Knight
3. Rogue

Best DPS
1. Magician
2. Necromancer
3. Rogue
4. Wizard
5. Monk
6. Ranger

Best Soloer
1. Necromancer
2. Magician
3. Shaman
4. Druid
5. Cleric
6. Wizard
7. Enchanter

Worst soloer
1. Rogue
2. Warrior
3. Monk
4. Ranger
5. Shadow Knight
6. Paladin

Best Duo
1. 2 Necromancers
2. 2 Magicians
3. Monk + Shaman
4. Druid + Enchanter
5. Warrior + Cleric

Reiker
12-30-2009, 05:18 PM
"Best Tank" depends on a lot of things.. like, raid or group? Straight up numbers Warrior is #1... between SK and Paladin I'd rather have a Paladin for heals, lulls, and the ability to hold aggro without breaking mez.

Level 50 with gear... Rogue > Monk = Magician

Homp
12-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Best Tank
1. Shadow Knight

Best Healer
1. Cleric

Best CC
1. Enchanter

Best Puller
1. Monk
OR Bard which you have left out

Best DPS
1. Magician

Best Soloer
2. Necromancer

Worst soloer
2. Warrior

Best Duo
2. 2 Magicians

Pyrocat
12-30-2009, 06:58 PM
First 4 are pretty obvious.

Best DPS
Gotta go with Rogue overall. They were made for DPS, never get full or partial nuke resists and never run out of mana. Wizard with ice comet will do more damage on naggy, but they run out of mana and still probably get resists. Rogues really start to shine once they get Kunark era weapons and we start killing boss mobs that take longer than 2 minutes to kill.

Best Soloer
Enchanter, then necro. Enchanters can lull, clarity, fear, mez, memblur, stun, debuff, dot/nuke (poorly), wander around with little or no aggro in elemental forms, they have invis and IVU, and most of all they can charm.

Necros can lich, FD, dot, snare, fear and send pet.

Necro is an easier class to solo with but I'd say enchanters are more efficient with their ability to charm kite, the fact that a charmed npc will almost always outdps a necro pet, they can easily single pull, and their pure amount of utility spells and self clarity.

Worst soloer
Monks have mend, and Warriors have superior hp/ac so I gotta say Rogue. At level 60 with epic and decent gear I always had a hard time soloing light blues. I'm not sure how it is on emu servers, I've heard reports that if you time it right you can strafe around an enemy and get backstabs in mid battle.

Best Duo
Enchanter/Shaman

Hasbinbad
12-30-2009, 07:12 PM

Kubaton
12-30-2009, 08:12 PM
I agree with the above accept there are some missing points..

Yes, rogues can deal the damage - BUT be prepared to earn it. Rogues are very hard to lvlup. They are completely group dependant from lvl10+ (IF they're not twinked) They cannot take a hit for shit - it is similar to being a wiz with a dagger and no spells. It isnt until 25+ that they begin to deal some damage, but again it comes at a cost - learn how to control that damage or you wont do any at all (you'll be dead or royally piss off your healer)

For a complete newb I would suggest a different class to be honest..

Druids, Necro, Shaman.... In that order...

Druids = solo 100% + not so much gear dependant as other classes + portals + SoW

Necro = solo 100% (kings like druids) + great pet dmg .. Pure damage solo class. Can solo anything if you know how.

Sham = they can solo but it takes more playing skill than a dru/nec - gota be more skilled and manage your hp/mana more than the others + great buffs for groups - always wanted and never out of mana =).

no one mention a mage please... mages become a major pain in the ass in kunark.. Some of your spells are going to cost you 10-20k each... They cannot solo as well as the classes I listed, not even close..

President
12-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Yall must be realllllly bored

karsten
12-30-2009, 08:42 PM
Yall must be realllllly bored

^

Glitch
12-30-2009, 10:03 PM
Enchanters can... memblur, wander around with little or no aggro in elemental forms...

Both of those things aren't working right now, but chanters are still amazing soloers.

Finawin
12-31-2009, 12:07 AM
I had absolutely no problem soloing to 60 in Kunark as a Mage. I don't know what you're talking about. It just becomes more skill than "send in pet and win".

abbadox
12-31-2009, 01:07 AM
Best Tank
3. Warrior

Best Healer
1. Cleric

Best CC
1. Enchanter

Best Puller
1. Monk

Best DPS
3. Rogue - given haste of any form will increase this class's DPS dramatically

Best Soloer
1. Necromancer

Worst soloer
2. Warrior

Best Duo
1. 1 Necromancer + 1 Rogue

darkkor
01-01-2010, 12:36 AM
For a complete newb I would suggest a different class to be honest..

Druids, Necro, Shaman.... In that order...

Necro = solo 100% (kings like druids) + great pet dmg .. Pure damage solo class. Can solo anything if you know how.

Shamans and Necromancers take skill to master, but their power does make them newb friendly. Keeping track of many DoTs at once while rooting/mezzing and controlling a pet can get overwhelming on 4 mob fights.

no one mention a mage please...They cannot solo as well as the classes I listed, not even close..

Yeah Mages are great soloers but their utility toolbox is smaller than the other classes you listed, which means the other guys can take on some pretty heavy stuff if they are good players.

Pretty sure Necros and Rogues out DPS mages as well. On short fights a mage's burst is higher but over time a Necros DPS skyrockets.

DevGrousis
02-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Best Tank
3. Paladin

Best Healer
1. Cleric

Best CC
1. Enchanter/Bard = the reason i put bard here is purely for their ability to CC plus add DPS to the group, by either cycling their targets and actually melee'ng or haste/mana while they keep mobs mez'd

Best Puller
1. Monk/Bard = monk is superior in straight up pulling, but with some of the bad pathing out there can take a while. bards single pull ability is great (plus mem blur or whatever they get way later later

Best DPS
3. Rogue - given haste of any form will increase this class's DPS dramatically

Best Soloer
1. Necromancer
- are bards not solo maestro's on this server? i know that on live i can take down about 65-95 DB's at 50 without a break, or even closely dangering myself. plus the fact that on p99, swarm dot'ng shouldnt be nerfed yet.

Worst soloer
2. Rogue - due to low hp, low ac.

Best Duo
1. cleric/warrior ftw ;( haha i have no idea on this one as i've never had a consistent partner to group with. been all solo or group work for my career in the game.

vageta31
02-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Best soloer:

Depends on if you're asking which can get to 50 alone easiest or which can handle big mobs/camps alone once they're 50. Druids can kite their entire career, and once they have the levels/mana and can quad kite it's even better. However they can't solo break and hold tough camps in Sol B and Guk.

Now that charm is nerfed I'd say the best solo classes at taking down big mobs or breaking camps are Necros and Shamans. Necro gets FD if it goes bad and can do big damage, Shamans just have the most options assuming you have a large mana pool. Fully buffed (regen, haste, etc..) Shamans can tank better than any priest/caster and with potions they can even add damage shields and stack more hp buffs with STA pots. Combined with slow a shaman can last longer during the battle and it comes down to having enough mana to stay alive and do enough damage.

When Kunark and Velious come the balance of power changes, and Shamans really start to shine. Shamans were known to solo dragons in WW during Velious era, though you have to be geared for it. Velious armor + Epic + Fungi + JBB + Torpor = badass.

Zordana
02-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Best Tank
1. Warrior definitly

period

Deric
02-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Best Duo

Paladin and Bard

------

:)