PDA

View Full Version : How is Experience shared among a group?

Mystogan
01-26-2015, 03:31 PM
I was in a group the other night, and another player and I starting talking about exp distribution in a group. It left me with an awareness that I am not sure how this works.

Here is how I have always understood it. Please note, this is done with simple numbers for showing concept. I more want to understand it, than do the math for all the decimal places.

I have a player with 0 modifier, a human cleric. I need 100 exp to level. I kill a mob that grants 10, I get 10. I have a -40% player, like a bard. Same level as the cleric. I need 140 exp to level (is this right?). I kill a mob that grants 10 exp, I get 10 exp. The bard needs to kill 14 mobs where the cleric only needs to kill 10 for each to level.

Now the two group. Again, I kill a mob that grants 10 exp. We each get 5 exp (exp/#ofplayers) (is this right?). The cleric will level before the bard because of his modifier.

This has always been my understanding of how grouping works. Do I have the right of it, or have I misunderstood the concept?

Trazic
01-27-2015, 01:01 AM
Higher level characters take a higher percentage share of the exp from a kill. Except wait, it isn't actually based on their level but on their total earned experience. A hybrid with a 40% tax will have 40% more total earned experience at a given level and thus will take a greater share of the exp.

Waedawen
01-27-2015, 01:12 AM
p99 wiki has a whole page dedicated to questions exactly like this

Estu
01-27-2015, 01:31 AM
Here is the relevant article: http://wiki.project1999.com/Game_Mechanics#How_Experience_Works

Basically, it's all based on total EXP. The more total EXP you have, the more of the EXP from a monster you take. The net effect is that when a bunch of people group, they will generally level at about the same speed: the people with EXP penalties will take more EXP, and the people without EXP penalties will take less EXP, and so essentially the EXP penalty people slow down the EXP gain of the other people, and vice versa, so everyone's leveling at about the same speed.

This is probably meant to combat exactly the kind of thing you described in the original post, where one player would quickly overtake another. With the mechanics the way they are, you can do a dedicated duo (or whatever kind of group) with a bunch of different characters with different EXP mechanics, and still level up at the same time. It's nice if you have a friend you want to rise through the ranks with, without getting separated from each other EXP-wise. It's nice if you're a troll shadowknight and you group up with a bunch of rogues and clerics who make your EXP penalty less harsh. It's not so nice if you're a human cleric and group up with five rangers and a paladin.

Lune
01-27-2015, 02:01 AM
Here is the relevant article: http://wiki.project1999.com/Game_Mechanics#How_Experience_Works

Basically, it's all based on total EXP. The more total EXP you have, the more of the EXP from a monster you take. The net effect is that when a bunch of people group, they will generally level at about the same speed: the people with EXP penalties will take more EXP, and the people without EXP penalties will take less EXP, and so essentially the EXP penalty people slow down the EXP gain of the other people, and vice versa, so everyone's leveling at about the same speed.

This is probably meant to combat exactly the kind of thing you described in the original post, where one player would quickly overtake another. With the mechanics the way they are, you can do a dedicated duo (or whatever kind of group) with a bunch of different characters with different EXP mechanics, and still level up at the same time. It's nice if you have a friend you want to rise through the ranks with, without getting separated from each other EXP-wise. It's nice if you're a troll shadowknight and you group up with a bunch of rogues and clerics who make your EXP penalty less harsh. It's not so nice if you're a human cleric and group up with five rangers and a paladin.

This is mostly true, but there are some quirks that keep it from panning out exactly like that, especially in the mid-late 50's. (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160967&highlight=experience+irregularity)

Swish
01-27-2015, 05:08 AM
TL;DR - don't believe that iksar SK when he says "naw man, the penalties only affect me... not the group" ;)

stakha
01-27-2015, 06:58 AM
It's only important to note that when your bard is good, he more than makes up for the 40% penalty with increases in group efficacy higher than 40% ;)

sox7d
01-27-2015, 03:07 PM
Grouping with a hybrid just treats them as grouping with a rogue two levels higher.

maskedmelon
01-27-2015, 03:50 PM
XP formula is level * level * level * 1000 * classmod * race mod

XP is distributed as % of the total mob's XP equal to the percent of your total XP relative to the groups total XP

In your example above you would receive 4XP and the bard would receive 6XP.

At level 20 in a full group of 5 Druids and 1 Ranger killing a level 19 mob in a newby zone the Druids would each receive 4230XP and the Ranger would receive 5923XP.

If they kicked the ranger and invited a L22 Druid to replace the XP leeching Ranger, they'd each get 4277 XP with the new L22 Druid taking 5692 XP.

Now if the group of L20 Druids invite a L23 Druid instead, then they would each get less than they did with the ranger. They would each receive 4152XP while the 23 Druid would take 6315.

Moral of the story is to group with players close to your level and don't forget to share the hybrid hate with Iksar monks and necromancers ;)

^^v