PDA

View Full Version : Chars are gone after new install

Raszul
01-28-2015, 12:51 PM
Hey there, I have a big problem. I had to reinstall all my stuff on my PC, including EQ, but I still have the EQEmulater file with my "charname.ini" in it. They are still there. But after logging in on the server theyre gone :-(

Any Ideas of what Im doin wrong?

Thulack
01-28-2015, 12:52 PM
Logged onto the wrong server? Files on your computer dont matter. Characters are kept serverside. The ini file you kept is just the layout of your ui for that toon and your friends list and hotkeys and crap, not the actual toon.

Swish
01-28-2015, 12:53 PM
Have you got the latest patch? (from the news/announcements forum)

Other than that you might have logged into blue server (wrong one) by mistake?

Raszul
01-28-2015, 12:54 PM
Logged onto the wrong server? Files on your computer dont matter. Characters are kept serverside. The ini file you kept is just the layout of your ui for that toon and your friends list and hotkeys and crap, not the actual toon.

well its the normal blue p99 server, not the red one, will check again now but Im pretty sure I logged into the right one....

Ravager
01-28-2015, 12:54 PM
Probably logged on to the wrong server. That or your client didn't sync right. Happens to me from time to time.

maskedmelon
01-28-2015, 12:58 PM
Hey there, I have a big problem. I had to reinstall all my stuff on my PC, including EQ, but I still have the EQEmulater file with my "charname.ini" in it. They are still there. But after logging in on the server theyre gone :-(

Any Ideas of what Im doin wrong?

The char.ini is just the settings file for your character. Your characters are stored server side only. If they are not there, you may need to install the latest patch, you may be logging into a different server, you may be logging into a different account or you (or someone with access to your account)may have deleted your characters. Outside that I cannot think of any reasons for this.

Raszul
01-28-2015, 01:00 PM
ah now it shows 4 char slots with the message "spells file is outdated"..guess I have to update it with the files from p99...hmpf

maskedmelon
01-28-2015, 01:01 PM
There you go ^^

Raszul
01-28-2015, 01:14 PM
hm, still something wrong. I downloaded the (V36) files from the "getting started" page here, first of all they are full of spyware, at least my Antivirus program says so. After isolating these spyware, I overwrited the files in the eq directory like always, and deleted the 5:
arena.eqg
arena_EnvironmentEmitters.txt
lavastorm.eqg
nektulos.eqg
Nektulos_EnvironmentEmitters.txt

after logging in on my account my char slots are still filled with the "outdated" sentence..

Kaleadar
01-28-2015, 01:50 PM
Don't isolate the Spyware. Cause there is none... let's not make this any harder then download copy paste

Poosammich
01-28-2015, 01:54 PM
Its been stated ad nauseum that AV programs are dumb.... They will flag items they haven't seen before because they are omnipresent and know everything(/sarcasm off). That said this entire community is running the same files you are with the addition of the 5, and there isn't any malware on any of my three computers that have P99 installed.

TL:DR
Dumb AV hasn't seen these files enough to know if they are malicious or not, so it says they are as a CYA method....

Tongpow
01-28-2015, 01:54 PM
first of all they are full of spyware, at least my Antivirus program says so.

lol

uninstall that garbage or setup an exemption for the .dll

Raszul
01-28-2015, 02:08 PM
lol

uninstall that garbage or setup an exemption for the .dll

I dont think so. Its MacAffee and not some freeware from the deeps of the internet^^
I just remember that there was no spyware message when I installed EQ the first time, but now I took it off and reinstall all again :-/ hopefully it will work now.

ah, another question, it MUST be iso files for the install yes? just found out that I have 3 different types here, iso, ccd and cue EQ Disk 1 2 3 4 5.

Thulack
01-28-2015, 02:15 PM
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164472

You need to go into your anti virus and exclude the dsetup.dll file. Also it doesnt have to be ISO just needs to be EQ titanium in whatever form you have it.

Mentathiel
01-28-2015, 02:19 PM
I dont think so. Its MacAffee and not some freeware from the deeps of the internet
Yeah...

The only legitimate issue is the DLL, which contains all sorts of objectionable code for obfuscation and anti-cheating, but it's not so different from most Korean MMORPGs to be fair. You can play, but you have to trust the DLL. If you trust McAffe, you're in for all sorts of disappointment and frustration...

kined
01-28-2015, 02:33 PM
I dont think so. Its MacAffee and not some freeware from the deeps of the internet^^

rofl. implying that because its macaffee and you have to pay for it, its good. macaffee is one of the worst AV's ive ever used.

maskedmelon
01-28-2015, 02:35 PM
Yeah...

The only legitimate issue is the DLL, which contains all sorts of objectionable code for obfuscation and anti-cheating, but it's not so different from most Korean MMORPGs to be fair. You can play, but you have to trust the DLL. If you trust McAffe, you're in for all sorts of disappointment and frustration...

This^ I ran into the same issue with adaware and avast. Both identified the dll as suspicious due to its behavior. If you want to play p99 you have to create an exception for the file. Adaware was particularly vigilant though and kept deleting the file at startup. I smacked it into line though ^^

Raszul
01-28-2015, 03:53 PM
rofl. implying that because its macaffee and you have to pay for it, its good. macaffee is one of the worst AV's ive ever used.

still better than using nothing I guess. And I dont think its bad to be careful when its bells rings very loud on a download.

But anyway, I still cant launch the game. AV is completely off, I reinstalled everything, now is the problem that I dont have a launch exe anymore. Its says its in the download from p99, but there is just the launch.bat file.

Im very confused right now :-/

I did install EQ Titanium in a seperate folder in my C:
I downloaded the V36 from the "getting start" page here, with my av completely off. Put it into my EQ folder overwriting existing files, and deleted the 5 zone files (Nektulos, arena and so on)

now I should be able to start EQ but like I said now I dont have a launch exe anymore, only the Everquest.exe for the regular game what would lead me to the patcher...

whats wrong here now grrr

maskedmelon
01-28-2015, 04:02 PM
still better than using nothing I guess. And I dont think its bad to be careful when its bells rings very loud on a download.

But anyway, I still cant launch the game. AV is completely off, I reinstalled everything, now is the problem that I dont have a launch exe anymore. Its says its in the download from p99, but there is just the launch.bat file.

Im very confused right now :-/

I did install EQ Titanium in a seperate folder in my C:
I downloaded the V36 from the "getting start" page here, with my av completely off. Put it into my EQ folder overwriting existing files, and deleted the 5 zone files (Nektulos, arena and so on)

now I should be able to start EQ but like I said now I dont have a launch exe anymore, only the Everquest.exe for the regular game what would lead me to the patcher...

whats wrong here now grrr

Do you have eqgame.exe still? If so create a shortcut to that then edit it an add -patchme to the end of the target path. That should get you going ^^

myriverse
01-28-2015, 04:04 PM
V36 comes with a Launch BAT file.

Also, the exe you're looking for is eqgame.

Raszul
01-28-2015, 04:11 PM
V36 comes with a Launch BAT file.

Also, the exe you're looking for is eqgame.

When I hit "EqGame.exe" an error window pops and tells me I have to run "Everquest.exe"

Edit: before I had do delete/reinstall all, my exe for EQ 99 was a blue Everquest Icon named "P99 by EMU" something like this, if I remember right this one was in the download from this page here back in the day. Now theres only the 2 .Exes in the Titanium folder: Everquest.exe (the one which starts the patching, and the Eqgame.exe (saying me I have to run Everquest.exe)...

maskedmelon
01-28-2015, 04:19 PM
When I hit "EqGame.exe" an error window pops and tells me I have to run "Everquest.exe"

Have to make a shortcut to it with the -patchme tag added to the end of the target path. That tells eqgame.exe that you have already patched.

myriverse
01-28-2015, 04:23 PM
Make a shortcut for eqgame.exe.
Right-click the shortcut and choose Properties.
In the Target field, add "patchme" (without quotes) to the end.

webrunner5
01-28-2015, 04:23 PM
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164472

You need to go into your anti virus and exclude the dsetup.dll file. Also it doesnt have to be ISO just needs to be EQ titanium in whatever form you have it.

What he said. :D

Raszul
01-28-2015, 04:29 PM
Make a shortcut for eqgame.exe.
Right-click the shortcut and choose Properties.
In the Target field, add "patchme" (without quotes) to the end.

YAY finally! Thx a lot guys for beeing patient with me ^^

/close

TheBlackSheep
01-28-2015, 05:25 PM
YAY finally! Thx a lot guys for beeing patient with me ^^

/close

While you're at it, remove McShitty and install Microsoft Security Essentials. Then add an exception for the whole EQ folder. If you're running Windows 8, you already have Essentials (it's included in Defender) and there is no need to install any AV.

Lyrith
01-28-2015, 05:58 PM
While you're at it, remove McShitty and install Microsoft Security Essentials. Then add an exception for the whole EQ folder. If you're running Windows 8, you already have Essentials (it's included in Defender) and there is no need to install any AV.

^
What this guy said. Microsoft Security Essentials really does do a good job and makes it for a home user not to require anything else for Anti-Virus. Just stick away from all the illegal stuff on the internet and you will be just fine!

oblexsis
01-28-2015, 05:58 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials is surprisingly good , I stopped using others once I discovered how decent it was . With that and Malware Bytes your fairly covered.