PDA

View Full Version : Give Rangers Beastlord Pets

Ziggy
01-29-2015, 10:11 AM
Seriously, don't you feel bad for rangers? Chain armor, hybrid penalty, worthless buffs. There is no light at the end of the tunnel as Rangers pretty much continue to suck until Luclin. My solution would be to give Rangers the Beastlord Warder line of spells in a fashon similar to how they were at the start of Luclin (still a spell, poofs when zoned, ect.), and then MAYBE give them one or two pet buffs like the pet DD proc line or pet haste ect., beastlords got a lot of pet utility to pick from. It doesn't matter what animal it is, and maybe you could let rangers do a quest to choose. I don't think they should have more than one "type" of pet (like mage).

fadetree
01-29-2015, 10:14 AM
No. We like being hard to play. Keeps the riffraff out.

Thatt
01-29-2015, 10:15 AM
uh, because classic.

Ziggy
01-29-2015, 10:22 AM

I'm posting this from the perspective of someone who might potentially group with a ranger if they could do some actual DPS. It's not about ranger being difficult to play as much as ranger being not worth the time.

Ziggy
01-29-2015, 10:25 AM
uh, because classic.
stop thinking of classic as an exact list of what the game was back then, and start thinking of what the spirit of Classic Everquest is all about.

myriverse
01-29-2015, 11:09 AM
Turning Rangers into a pet class would not be remotely within the spirit of Classic EverQuest. They're not meant to be a major DPS class. And actually, Rangers aren't that bad at DPS.

Cecily
01-29-2015, 11:35 AM
Hybrids are the only melee classes that can affect the outcome of a fight by doing something other than killing things or blocking things with their face. Rangers are moderate to good CC, moderate damage, and moderate to bad face blocking. It's a unique combo and one that's much more fun to play (for me) than the many, many rogues I've rolled.

Tulnavara
01-29-2015, 11:37 AM
stop thinking of classic as an exact list of what the game was back then, and start thinking of what the spirit of Classic Everquest is all about.

You're on the wrong project if you're thinking this way. The owners of the box have stated numerous times that they want this game to be as close to how it was in '99-01 as they can possibly get it.

Kimm Bare|y
01-29-2015, 11:41 AM
Not classic.

Ziggy
01-29-2015, 11:48 AM
Turning Rangers into a pet class would not be remotely within the spirit of Classic EverQuest. They're not meant to be a major DPS class. And actually, Rangers aren't that bad at DPS.

Having a pet doesn't make them a pet class. Ranger's weren't meant to be anything, they were an afterthought added to the game in the last minute.

Ziggy
01-29-2015, 11:48 AM
You're on the wrong project if you're thinking this way. The owners of the box have stated numerous times that they want this game to be as close to how it was in '99-01 as they can possibly get it.

And yet here we are in year 5 of kunark with a raid rotation.

quido
01-29-2015, 11:50 AM
shut up

Ziggy
01-29-2015, 11:51 AM
shut up

typical red contribution

Aadill
01-29-2015, 11:52 AM
So what exactly do you expect out of the ranger class?

quido
01-29-2015, 11:52 AM
Shut up

Tenlaar
01-29-2015, 11:54 AM
with a raid rotation.

Classic on my server.

HeallunRumblebelly
01-29-2015, 12:01 PM
Relive the classic Everquest MMORPG Gaming Experience as it was in 1999 and onward. Project 1999 is a free to play Emulated Everquest Server giving Players the opportunity to experience Classic EQ Once again, currently in the Kunark expansion

Juevento
01-29-2015, 12:07 PM
And yet here we are in year 5 of kunark with a raid rotation.

I still have no clue what this rotation is...

Cecily
01-29-2015, 12:12 PM
I still have no clue what this rotation is...

Yeah from the sounds of that 2/3 thing, you don't.

Burrito
01-29-2015, 12:14 PM
While we are making hybrids better, why not give paladins access to more rez %'s during their career now. Might as well remove the hybrid penalty now as well. At least these changes don't radically change the class, yet will get shot down for not being classic.

Swish
01-29-2015, 12:15 PM
http://i.imgur.com/LdCm8tR.gif

curtischoy
01-29-2015, 12:27 PM
Rangers are actually pretty good. Giving them a pet is nonsense.

Aadill
01-29-2015, 12:28 PM
While we are making hybrids better, why not give paladins access to more rez %'s during their career now. Might as well remove the hybrid penalty now as well. At least these changes don't radically change the class, yet will get shot down for not being classic.

Those happen in Velious, no?

Along with upping the offensive capabilities of rangers and removing their xp penalty, adding a proc line of spells, and upping their buff capability.

Burrito
01-29-2015, 12:29 PM
Those happen in Velious, no?

Along with upping the offensive capabilities of rangers and removing their xp penalty, adding a proc line of spells, and upping their buff capability.

They do- but I was arguing for the change too happen now.

Zapatos
01-29-2015, 12:40 PM
Scimitar of the mistwalker, pre nerf. Think it was zilo that had one and he was pretty cool.

We had one drop on a VD raid.. Out of era... That we reported and gm said we could keep it or exchange it. It was mine if I wanted it but opted for the exchange instead, ffs I was so newb back then /wrists

planeofdreams
01-29-2015, 12:58 PM

Actually Classic Everquest is an exact list of what the game was back then.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/history/patches.html

Think more analytically. (Also, in before this turns into another argument about night blindness.)

Tehwoot
01-29-2015, 01:11 PM
nothing wrong with Rangers, they were made to play like a songless Bard.

Cecily
01-29-2015, 02:03 PM
Someone give OP puppet strings.

Bodybagger
01-29-2015, 02:26 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv7UJLOyERs

hahahhahaa

loramin
01-29-2015, 02:48 PM
It's really very simple: there are good ideas, and there are good ideas for Project 1999.

Giving Rangers a pet might be a very good idea on a different server ... one that's stuck on Kunark, but then adds custom content to make it better. And it also might be a good idea on a future version of Project 1999: the devs have mentioned adding custom content after all post-Velious patches have been completed (ie. 4+ years from now).

So, your idea isn't a bad one necessarily, but it is a bad one for Project 1999 in its current "purely classic" incarnation.

Bodybagger
01-29-2015, 03:13 PM
^but really... naw, rangers with pets is a dumbass idea. Especially beastlrod pets. Rangers with SK pets would still be a stretch. Beastlord pets were too good for their shaman/monk hybrid asses in the first place... like you traded FD and Mend and Flying Kick for SoW, Pet, buffs, healing.... way too OP imo

if anything they'd just allow beastlord before they'd make rangers have beastlrod pets.... if that were remotely classic they'd have done that not made beastlord a class lol

Aadill
01-29-2015, 03:37 PM
I think it would be neat to have a wolf familiar much like wizards got imp/dragon familiars in Luclin, but instead of extra mana, resists, and mana regen, it offered bonus melee stats.

A hunting dog, if you will. It wouldn't overbalance the aspect of the game and it would provide what I feel is a little more reasonable expectation of a ranger "being one with nature." Rangers already get positive factions with many times of animals, so why not give them a friend for life?

In Velious, Rangers get way more options in terms of straight AC, but no real extra ability to evade. Maybe the familiar offers a few points of AC, str, agi, dex as a way to continue with this line of thinking. Alternatively, you offer a little extra tank ability by upping the evade stats.

Bodybagger
01-29-2015, 04:22 PM
All ranger need is their defense cap in line with other hybrids and they'd be a great class. They could group tank very well. Rangers problems 100% stem from skill caps. If they were brought into line the class would be loved by all. No clue why Sony/EQ ever did them how they did. I wouldn't oppose them being given proper knight hybrid stats to see them be a viable class option sicne we will never pass velious, I believe it is a patch that would have come in the timeline had we stayed in same era.... I also to that effect wouldn't mind seeing the additional playable race/class combos extend into some of the luclin era combos to keep things fresh as well, as it has no negative effect on gameplay mechanics form classic and would also have been incorporated regardless of expansions.

I think you can easily look at future patches and expansions and see the classic mechanic progression of things and evolution as intended, regardless of expansion content.

loramin
01-29-2015, 05:31 PM
I think you can easily look at future patches and expansions and see the classic mechanic progression of things and evolution as intended, regardless of expansion content.

You've completely failed to understand what "classic" means. Those "future patches and expansions" are not the "classic mechanic progression", they are "the way SOE took things after Velious," which is in fact the opposite of classic. The people who made this server felt so strongly against the way SOE took things that they gave up months if not years of their lives to re-create a server without those, very un-classic, changes.

Varren
01-29-2015, 09:38 PM
A hunting dog, if you will.

Someone to curl up to on the dark lonely nights. Something to slake this thirst for another living being. Lord, how long must I be alone, a ranger.

bloodmuffin
01-29-2015, 09:50 PM
This thread is dumb and you should feel bad for posting it.

JackFlash
01-29-2015, 10:20 PM
This thread is dumb and you should feel bad for posting it.

^^ confirmed classic

Aadill
01-30-2015, 01:13 AM
Someone to curl up to on the dark lonely nights. Something to slake this thirst for another living being. Lord, how long must I be alone, a ranger.

Please be my furry friend~

*yiffs*

I feel dirty.

lland
01-30-2015, 04:15 AM
If anything had to be done, improving their bow dps makes much more sense than adding a pet (?).

Cecily
01-30-2015, 04:21 AM
Maybe they could shoot pets from their bow. Like falcons or something.

Stormfists
01-30-2015, 05:03 AM

Baahahah. Imagine the wav file; Swarrrrk!.

Whirled
01-30-2015, 07:13 AM
http://kithicor.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/kithicor_camp.jpg

Ranger & pet .... classic

Clark
01-30-2015, 07:21 AM
Thread title is amazing haha.

maskedmelon
01-30-2015, 07:50 AM
I do not really understand how this thread has made it to 5 pages, though I am going to bump it anyway^^

Obvious troll is ..... obvious.

Burrito
01-30-2015, 11:32 AM
http://kithicor.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/kithicor_camp.jpg

Ranger & pet .... classic

Kithicor is a know rmter and exploiter. He actively shut down the battle of bloody kithicor event. He probably has puppet strings and a recharge exploit.

Itap
01-30-2015, 11:36 AM
Will level up my ranger once Exp penalty is removed come Velious. Why? Cuz screw it

Swish
01-30-2015, 11:37 AM
Will level up my ranger once Exp penalty is removed come Velious. Why? Cuz screw it

How many patches in is it before they take the penalty away? It wasn't on launch night on live was it?

Itap
01-30-2015, 11:41 AM
How many patches in is it before they take the penalty away? It wasn't on launch night on live was it?

Too lazy to find the patch notes but it was ~ 3 months after launch

maskedmelon
01-30-2015, 04:35 PM
Too lazy to find the patch notes but it was ~ 3 months after launch

So in P99 time that would be what 2 years?

fadetree
01-30-2015, 04:36 PM
Having a pet doesn't make them a pet class. Ranger's weren't meant to be anything, they were an afterthought added to the game in the last minute.

You are exactly kind of asswipe that I never want to play with, so you just keep hatin' rangers.

Aadill
01-30-2015, 08:53 PM

I giggled.

captnamazing
01-30-2015, 09:39 PM
no

Kaleadar
01-30-2015, 10:55 PM
Gauntlet legends?

Taffan
01-31-2015, 04:45 AM
I'm posting this from the perspective of someone who might potentially group with a ranger if they could do some actual DPS. It's not about ranger being difficult to play as much as ranger being not worth the time.

There are a lot of bad rangers, but if geared/played right, they can do good dps and pull better then monks (in some situations.)

coki
01-31-2015, 06:45 AM
There are a lot of bad rangers, but if geared/played right, they can do good dps and pull better then monks (in some situations.)

you mean the 1% situation?

Herpa Derp
01-31-2015, 08:59 AM
How about instead of adding strange mechanics that never got into the game we just give rangers their bow DPS they got later in the game without making it better damage than pure DPS classes? Rangers do ok DPS considering they're a hybrid class with buffs anyways . . .

That's what happens when you roll a ranger, if you want "perfectly" balanced classes go play WoW or a WoW emulator.

Taffan
01-31-2015, 11:29 AM
you mean the 1% situation?

The outdoor situation for lull.

Cecily
01-31-2015, 11:38 AM
Specialized classes are great for specialized situations. Rogues drag and kill things. Wizards port and kill things. That's as far those classes go. Ranger is a good class for a non min max player who likes to have more control on their environment and be able to do things on their own while still being a melee class.

orsk
01-31-2015, 11:40 AM

Laughable considering its cherry picked whats classic and not by a few people

eqgmrdbz
01-31-2015, 02:35 PM
As someone withe experience, P99 bow can get you to 46, at least it did for me, it took me lotta arrows LOTS, but i made 46 and was able to use my Swarmcaller to change from bow to melee. I then went from 46 to 51 using melee, but it is very doubtful i can go further, as mobs hti harder and harder, and i cant go back and use bow, it reached it's limit. So you have to group, or take forever to kill 1 mob.

A Ranger back on live with AA's in archery mastery 3, and with the Endless Quiver skill, using a decent bow could do massive damage. Without that skill Rangers will never reach their peak, unless their bow damage is increased, but i doubt that will happen. Still i have enjoyed playing a Ranger, and will continue to grind to 60.

Gooch
02-01-2015, 12:01 AM
What I remember of rangers on live.

Kunark rangers got double damage above level 46? for mobs not moving and not rooted (viable in groups). Is that in this emu?

Quivers gave bow haste in velious (should have been sooner).

In PvP archery was at I think 60% plus and went to as high as 80% sometime shortly after PoP then nerfed a year or so later back to original same time DD spells nerfed to 80% player health? (aa's made archery insane)

It went up to 80% PvP again at some point.

I really don't remember much beyond the haste addition to quivers and better gear/spells in Velious. Which sucked for nonPvP rangers. Especially in min/max setting.

azeth
02-01-2015, 07:40 AM

actually in q4 1997 when EQ was teased, ranger was the only class :p

in fact Aradune was a ranger. a ranger that held the Fiery Avenger

fadetree
02-03-2015, 05:59 PM
I agree about the bow damage, that would be the untimate fix; some kind of long ranger quest that wound up with the equivalent of am3/eq.

Taffan
02-04-2015, 12:58 AM
They get better in velious, with no exp pent and predator - i believe they get a combat skills boost as well, don't quote me on that though.

fadetree
02-04-2015, 09:35 AM
Also get Weaponshield, which is kinda useful on raids for getting a mob slowed and pissed off.

doodoobrown
02-04-2015, 01:58 PM
terrible idea >.>