PDA

View Full Version : Most fun duo?

renegadeofunk
02-01-2015, 02:05 AM
Not the most optimal duo but one that requires some strategy to succeed? Just not masochistically difficult :)

Juevento
02-01-2015, 02:21 AM
druid/rogue and/or paladin/enchanter are some of my favorites...

druid rogue for the snare kiting... it always fun to see how many mobs you can get to chase the druid and have the rogue just mow through them all

pally/enc is fun cause pallys can basically do what a cleric does but melee too.

Lune
02-01-2015, 02:22 AM
Enchanter / shaman, enchanter / cleric, or enchanter / druid charm duo.

Getting a good charm killing groove going is a bit like clockwork when it involves two people. It can get as intense as you want it to be. Go into a dungeon and pull 5 or 6 things, clump em up, root them, and charm/kill them one by one. Ench has to break charm with gazughi ring just before mob death. Support char has to help the ench keep shit under control, help rooting, help finish things off, and keep the ench alive. Eventually you can read each other's minds and do shit like break charm with a half a second left on the other person's nuke cast to finish off a healer.

Enchanter charm duo by far the funnest duo I've ever played, also the most powerful.

Shaniril
02-01-2015, 02:23 AM
Druid/Bard or Enchanter/Shaman would be my picks :D

Also, Shadowknight/Ranger is surprisingly effective. Requires more gear than either of the above though.

pasi
02-01-2015, 03:39 AM
Probably Enchanter/Druid.

The druid brings ports to the duo to save the enchanter time by minimizing travel time. The enchanter brings 50pp and clarity to the duo, so that the druid can gate back to EC 50pp richer while the enchanter solo farms whatever.

Tasslehofp99
02-01-2015, 03:40 AM
Druid/Mage or Druid/Ench would be my picks, druid/necro probably not bad either.

Edit: 2000th post! lol

Tasslehofp99
02-01-2015, 03:42 AM
Probably Enchanter/Druid.

The druid brings ports to the duo to save the enchanter time by minimizing travel time. The enchanter brings 50pp and clarity to the duo, so that the druid can gate back to EC 50pp richer while the enchanter solo farms whatever.

Ignorance :)

Druids can save an enchanter's ass in many situations where they'd be forced to gate or die. Druids also get many opportunities to charm, even more effectively with a chanter to tash/help control pet. 2x charm pets = ownage, plus you've got heals from the druid, ports/sow from the druid for travel.

captnamazing
02-01-2015, 04:13 AM
Theres a lot of love for enc clr, but I find that duo bland, I prefer necro enchanter for the double pet fearkite with snare. necro has a small amt of heals and you can kite to avoid taking damage. Obviously not as OP indoors, that def has to be a clr enc war trio. enc clr is very strong, but Ifeel low dps and enchanter doing most of the work.

Argh
02-01-2015, 04:26 AM
Warrior/Warrior

polishanarchy
02-01-2015, 04:37 AM
When there's room for fear kiting, necro/rogue is really great.

webrunner5
02-01-2015, 07:38 AM
My vote is for a Shaman and a Monk. Pretty hard to beat. :p

Shaniril
02-01-2015, 10:48 AM
My vote is for a Shaman and a Monk. Pretty hard to beat. :p

The OP wanted a duo that required some strategy though :rolleyes:

Swish
02-01-2015, 01:27 PM
Enchanter/cleric. All the people saying "druid"... ports aren't hard to find :p

Mentathiel
02-01-2015, 01:55 PM
If you want fun and strategy, try enchanter + wizard. Two classes renowned for being the first to die in a wipe, one mistake can kill you both, but it was amazingly fun when I tried it.

Tenlaar
02-01-2015, 03:11 PM
Bard + shaman is a fun and versatile duo that I have enjoyed.

stakha
02-01-2015, 04:00 PM
As a bard, I like to duo w rogue when possible.

Confit
02-01-2015, 06:43 PM
A great duo I did recently was my Ench and a Wizard. After my charm pet and mob were both down to <10% health and I broke charm, the Wizard would nuke each one for the kill.

In the meantime I had already charmed and pulled another set of mobs. Having someone else to kill both mobs instead of having to do it myself was a huge time saver and the exp rolled in nicely.

On my Shaman I enjoy duoing with Rogues and Necros.

Swish
02-01-2015, 07:09 PM
Shammies tank really well for an evading rogue (or rooted mob ofc) - very underrated :)

pharmakos
02-01-2015, 07:15 PM
warrior / warrior tbph

renegadeofunk
02-01-2015, 07:21 PM
warrior / warrior tbph

I said not masochistic!!

Warrior/SK could be fun though. SK barely self heals and warrior never pulls aggro because he's a warrior.

Swish
02-01-2015, 07:23 PM
SK dps is awful, if not for snap aggro I'd bin mine I think.

You could certainly fear kite as SK/warrior, praying that the warrior's DPS weps are good. Keep him at 25-30% health for those epic crits ;)

renegadeofunk
02-01-2015, 07:27 PM
SK dps is awful, if not for snap aggro I'd bin mine I think.

Ah really? I always had heard the dps was quite good between the two hander and spells. Well, it's an idea anyway.

pharmakos
02-01-2015, 07:28 PM
I said not masochistic!!

Warrior/SK could be fun though. SK barely self heals and warrior never pulls aggro because he's a warrior.

nah it could actually work out pretty well if you've got a bit of plat to twink 'em

roll two trolls or two iksars (for the regen), have them ping pong agro back and forth with Taunt and keep themselves just barely low enough health to string together crippling blows

Swish
02-01-2015, 07:29 PM
Ah really? I always had heard the dps was quite good between the two hander and spells. Well, it's an idea anyway.

If you can get your epic it goes up a notch...

If you can get your epic

get your epic

If

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/At_5d842f_577413.gif

Swish
02-01-2015, 07:31 PM
nah it could actually work out pretty well if you've got a bit of plat to twink 'em

roll two trolls or two iksars (for the regen), have them ping pong agro back and forth with Taunt and keep themselves just barely low enough health to string together crippling blows

Don't forget to summon a pet!

http://captainrodger.free.fr/Mes%20gifs%20anim%E9s/lawl.gif

Naw, in all seriousness... get some kind of regen on them (even a rubicite BP) and it probably isn't too terrible for downtime. I'd do what it took to add a rogue or monk to help things along though :p

pharmakos
02-01-2015, 07:33 PM
stfu with that pet talk, i'm still talking about warrior / warrior here swish

i still dream some day of tackling sebilis with a 6 warrior group

some day

renegadeofunk
02-01-2015, 07:38 PM
It would be funny to get together a group of as many level 1 warriors as possible and just see how far we got. The gameplay wouldn't be that dissimilar from a level 60 warrior tbh but you get the fun of leveling too!

Edit: Oh and no twink gear of course

Swish
02-01-2015, 07:44 PM
stfu with that pet talk, i'm still talking about warrior / warrior here swish

oic, definitely go with the regen then... that's going to suck a lot at higher levels though isn't it? :(

pharmakos
02-01-2015, 07:49 PM
goat is still level 59. figured out a good way to effectively warrior fear kite dark blues in skyfire mountains, was going to ding 60 that way but i got bored after awhile. would be a lot more fun/doable with a partner.

or if i even owned a fungi tunic

Argh
02-01-2015, 11:14 PM
I said not masochistic!!

You'd really have no problems duoing warrior/warrior to 45. You could do it with two full sets of bronze and two staffs of battle.

GinnasP99
02-01-2015, 11:24 PM
I would think necro rogue would be quite fun, rogue will never get hit and necro only takes damage from lich. Kinda need outdoor leveling areas to make this work tho. Another idea would be paladin necro and only hunt undead mobs.

pharmakos
02-02-2015, 01:49 AM
You'd really have no problems duoing warrior/warrior to 45. You could do it with two full sets of bronze and two staffs of battle.

indeed. only shitty thing would be downtime with no healer, but with trolls or iksars it wouldn't be so bad at all.

if you juggle your Evasives right you could even use a warrior duo to split some of the easier higher end camps.

Another idea would be paladin necro and only hunt undead mobs.

paladin/necro is actually an insanely powerful combo that gets little attention. paladin's huge survivability mixed with necro's huge sustained damage. fights take a bit longer but you can take out some really big targets with just these two.

webrunner5
02-02-2015, 11:02 AM
Not the most optimal duo but one that requires some strategy to succeed? Just not masochistically difficult :)

Well if you want to play hard mode, play the two worst classes in the game on here. Ranger, Pally. Nobody wants to play them, so there you go. 2 of the worse together. :D

Daldaen
02-02-2015, 11:10 AM
Ranger/Rogue if they are pseudo twinked would be fun IMO. Throw fungi on ranger and Ragebringer on Rogue. Ranger pulls with Harmony, tanks with Snare/Flame Lick, and Rogue destroys.

Enchanter/Cleric I'm very partial to. But it's a lot more fun to box that combo than duo I think. Because it has a lot more going on when boxed. When duo though, that cleric role can be really boring. CH pet, stun on break, spot heal on breaks. Rarely is it worth the cleric lulling or root/atoning when a chanter is available.

Bodybagger
02-02-2015, 11:14 AM
indeed. only shitty thing would be downtime with no healer, but with trolls or iksars it wouldn't be so bad at all.

if you juggle your Evasives right you could even use a warrior duo to split some of the easier higher end camps.

paladin/necro is actually an insanely powerful combo that gets little attention. paladin's huge survivability mixed with necro's huge sustained damage. fights take a bit longer but you can take out some really big targets with just these two.

I did warrior/warrior duo on live to 45 or so with far less for gear... I think at best we ended up with blacked alloy bastard swords once we upgraded our weighted axes or something haha...

Rog/rog is insanely fun when you can split tanking duties evade/backstab swapping. Targets die so quickly you don't take a ton of damage, and with 2 instead of just solo, bind wound is half decent. That said, Rog/Monk would be similarly potent with slightly less kill speed but more survivability and ability to split pulls.

The single biggest factor in successful duo is ability to either heal or limit healing needed, and isolate targets so you are 2v1.... 2v1 any class in game can drop XP'able mobs at a decent rate. With no crowd control or abilities to split pulls, you will hit walls where you can't move forwards. Taking in too much damage you will slow to a crawl without heals...

Much like solo'ing, grouping, or any aspect of EQ.... each class shines not only in its own ways but in various stages of the game. A Shadowknight for example... doesn't begin to come into its own until lvl 30+ once it has invis and FD and a decent tap

Similarly gear dependency is a factor often. wiz/dru wiz/mag dru/mag could quad kite, and with down time between still pull better average XP than many other duos because they kill 4x at a time and require no gear.

Purely based on fun I go rog/rog, stealthing in to assassinate targets is really fun. 40+ you can intimidate, and engulfing darkness proc can be used steady in offhand to fear kite effectively with 2 rogues, or rog/monk or rog/war. I forget at which point you get ability to bind to 70% hp... it still isn't enough to be great but it helps lol

Actual based on fun and viability without masochism... maybe rogue/sk if you want melee, otherwise dru/ench basically makes a super shaman... fixes the druids lack of regen (what makes him worse than shaman) but can quad

Mentathiel
02-02-2015, 11:18 AM
Well if you want to play hard mode, play the two worst classes in the game on here. Ranger, Pally. Nobody wants to play them, so there you go. 2 of the worse together. :D
That could work, actually. The ranger would be a good puller thanks to harmony and archery, paladins can steal the aggro and tank, both can heal themselves after the fight and the paladin has LoH and a short immunity to get them to the zone-line on a bad pull. Eventually, the ranger has jolt and the paladin has a rez, so they would make a great duo.

maskedmelon
02-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Druid/Necro is incredibly powerful. I have had fun with Rog/Pal and Rng/War ^^

Erydan Ouragan
02-02-2015, 12:38 PM

Let's not exaggerate. I play a paladin.

Our survivability isn't huge. We only have high hp/ac, healing, 3 stuns, root and LoH. :p

Bodybagger
02-02-2015, 12:42 PM
Druid/Necro is incredibly powerful. I have had fun with Rog/Pal and Rng/War ^^

almost any caster combo works very well lol, as almost any caster can solo, and duo increases efficiency in some way. But yeah stacking root rot classes like dru/sham/necro = absurd efficiency... especially with epics.... root/click each and laugh and high five...

ManticSquee
02-02-2015, 01:08 PM
I've been having fun with necro/mage. Only in the 20's right now and not sure how it will work out at higher levels.

kaev
02-02-2015, 01:23 PM
Yumyums & Rotwein was definitely the most fun duo

maskedmelon
02-02-2015, 01:25 PM
Let's not exaggerate. I play a paladin.

Our survivability isn't huge. We only have high hp/ac, healing, 3 stuns, root and LoH. :p

I am inclined to agree. Although I find plenty of necros keen on the idea, I often find myself wondering what they get out of it ^^ paladins do not have SU here and are not the bane of all undead as many think. Sure we can spam our crappy nukes between attacks if Need to burn something more quickly and we've a slow enough weapon, but it still isn't fast and that mana is more efficiently spent on heals unless you have poor AC or something.

I am more than happy to take this duo opportunity when available though. It really is a lot of fun and very interesting from an RP perspective. ^^

Bodybagger
02-02-2015, 01:34 PM
I am inclined to agree. Although I find plenty of necros keen on the idea, I often find myself wondering what they get out of it ^^ paladins do not have SU here and are not the bane of all undead as many think. Sure we can spam our crappy nukes between attacks if Need to burn something more quickly and we've a slow enough weapon, but it still isn't fast and that mana is more efficiently spent on heals unless you have poor AC or something.

I am more than happy to take this duo opportunity when available though. It really is a lot of fun and very interesting from an RP perspective. ^^

makes no sense RP wise lol... roleplay wise even a shaman with Paladin is questionable...

necro/sk/sham are innately evil classes... barb is only sham not evil, they worship tribunal so could play with pal I suppose... though tribunal is more dark knight rises justice while paladin is Dudley doright...

druid and sham makes pretty good sense RP wise... if rangers ever got proper warrior stats they'd be great too. There aren't any class combinations that can't be fun duo though... because duo is engaging and sometimes stupid fun gameplay. I would say a pure healer/tank combo is about the worst possible duo though, save for that all you need is a few dps and oyu have a solid group.... being a cleric and warrior duo would suck if you didn't look for dps'ers.

Burrito
02-02-2015, 01:45 PM
makes no sense RP wise lol... roleplay wise even a shaman with Paladin is questionable...

necro/sk/sham are innately evil classes... barb is only sham not evil, they worship tribunal so could play with pal I suppose... though tribunal is more dark knight rises justice while paladin is Dudley doright...

druid and sham makes pretty good sense RP wise... if rangers ever got proper warrior stats they'd be great too.

As for the roleplay aspect- maybe if the Paladin only play lawful douchebag and Chad's everyone by being the embodiment of Mithanial Marr

What about paladins of Karana man, or maybe a paladin of Rodcet who encompasses healers and mystics.

What about paladins of Prexus- the manliest erudite sailing the oceans, or quellious who seek out universal peace. I'm sure you could even find a way for a paladin of brell to hang with some other shamans.

Don't think of paladins as being so narrow or shallow in terms of their roleplay.

Edit: I guess for necros you have to get really creative.

maskedmelon
02-02-2015, 01:59 PM
*nods*

My pally worships Prexus ^^ and the pantheon of Norrath offers paladins a wide range of personas ^^

That aside though, I said it makes for interesting RP, not common sense RP ^^ The more at odds the two companions are the more interesting the story of why they are together becomes. At the very least there is the Confucian ideal of one's enemey's enemy is one's friend ^^

Bodybagger
02-02-2015, 02:10 PM
As for the roleplay aspect- maybe if the Paladin only play lawful douchebag and Chad's everyone by being the embodiment of Mithanial Marr

What about paladins of Karana man, or maybe a paladin of Rodcet who encompasses healers and mystics.

What about paladins of Prexus- the manliest erudite sailing the oceans, or quellious who seek out universal peace. I'm sure you could even find a way for a paladin of brell to hang with some other shamans.

Don't think of paladins as being so narrow or shallow in terms of their roleplay.

Edit: I guess for necros you have to get really creative.

None of those effect a paladin role playing with a necro in any way. A Paladin regardless of diety would be within his duty to banish and destroy any necromancer or shadowknight, as would any worshipper of any diety you listed. That's why I said shaman is a stretch for most, and necro is outright not possible RP wise, as a true ally anyways...

Erydan Ouragan
02-02-2015, 02:43 PM

True true true.

This is why paladins truly shine in groups. Sure you can duo or trio, whatever. But first and foremost, we're tanks. The damage and utility thing is just the cherry on top.

The main reason a paladin is invited to a group is because they need a tank.

Chrysus
02-02-2015, 04:48 PM
If you want fun and strategy, try enchanter + wizard. Two classes renowned for being the first to die in a wipe, one mistake can kill you both, but it was amazingly fun when I tried it.

Played this duo a fair bit on live, it was a lot of fun. Not the best by min/maxer number parsing, but it was still effective. You can charm when wanting some intensity, or just blast things down when wanting casual/semi-afk gaming (do wizards play any other way?).

Ranger/Rogue if they are pseudo twinked would be fun IMO. Throw fungi on ranger and Ragebringer on Rogue. Ranger pulls with Harmony, tanks with Snare/Flame Lick, and Rogue destroys.

I've played this duo some, it works but it's not as effective as I was expecting. If you don't get a slow proc (swarmcaller, earthcaller and/or locust lure) the ranger will need to kite while the rogue kills, which works, but it's less fun and slower then other duos.

We haven't had sufficient intimidation skill to fear kite when using this duo, I'd like to try it some more with that maxed.

pharmakos
02-03-2015, 01:02 AM

paladin / necro combo can destroy a dungeon. single pulls all day, lots of crowd control, two sets of heals, huge DPS from the necro, necro gets a tank so that he doesn't have to heal his pet.

works out very well. vs. living or undead.

Nuktari
02-03-2015, 01:49 AM
Did Crypt in Seb (60 SK) with a 60 Dru pal of mine, most fun duo experience I ever had.
So many close calls, dat pixelated adrenaline.

http://media0.giphy.com/media/dIZoOighpAS7C/200.gif

Clark
02-03-2015, 03:43 AM
Shaman + Ench or Shaman + Monk

Ando
02-03-2015, 10:12 AM
paladin / necro combo can destroy a dungeon. single pulls all day, lots of crowd control, two sets of heals, huge DPS from the necro, necro gets a tank so that he doesn't have to heal his pet.

works out very well. vs. living or undead.

I agree. I (54 necro) duoed with a 55 Paladin in the Lord area in Lguk. We absolutely destroyed everything. Rogue pet does the dps, and the necro can pretty much indefinitely heal the pally with Shadow Bond + Dispel. The spell is like a mini-torpor, granted with less throughput.

Was super fun, and we had enough CC to deal with just about any pull. If things go really south the necro can always FD and rez the pally, for a price.

Bodybagger
02-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Druid + sk = win

any scenario with a druid is better with a shaman unless quading lol ports not as valuable as slow.

kaev
02-03-2015, 02:46 PM
any scenario with a druid is better with a shaman unless quading lol ports not as valuable as slow.

The question in the thread title refers to "fun". Since quadding is just about the least fun there is to be had in EQ it doesn't even enter into the equation. Being free to roam the world at will via ports is actually quite fun. SK + Druid relocating at a whim to try new content would be about 1000x more fun than sitting at cash camps the shaman is a couple levels too low to solo (why else are you duoing mobs that require slow?).

eqnewb
02-03-2015, 03:04 PM
necro/necro and kite for dayz

Bodybagger
02-03-2015, 04:52 PM
The question in the thread title refers to "fun". Since quadding is just about the least fun there is to be had in EQ it doesn't even enter into the equation. Being free to roam the world at will via ports is actually quite fun. SK + Druid relocating at a whim to try new content would be about 1000x more fun than sitting at cash camps the shaman is a couple levels too low to solo (why else are you duoing mobs that require slow?).

Because killing badass shit is a lot cooler than killing the same random nameless mobs. Nameds>Mobs

Ports to free roam the world vs actually roaming the world... yeah sounds like a much better way to see the sites and explore the world... I bet you take airplanes instead of road trips to enjoy the site seeing too, eh?

Sage Truthbearer
02-03-2015, 04:56 PM
Looking for suggestions and strats on a class that duos with Cleric well besides Enchanter.

renegadeofunk
02-03-2015, 05:11 PM
I was thinking paladin+SK would be fun. Not ideal DPS-wise but both are highly survivable and have mostly non-overlapping and useful tools. And if the shit hits the fan just train to zone.

captnamazing
02-03-2015, 05:16 PM
Looking for suggestions and strats on a class that duos with Cleric well besides Enchanter.

As I already outlined, ENC+NEC in outdoor zones. Snare, Fear, Double pet DPS, and preferably the enchanter has a backstabbing pet.

ENC + Paladin is good, ups the paladins DPS and healing with ENC buffs.

ENC druid is also strong, but better outside.

ENC SHM strong in dungeons, too. People say they ahve too many spell overlaps, but as I see it, it just lets oen person handle haste and the other handle slow. Shaman heals and has pet up, Enchanter pulls and has pet DPS.

Sage Truthbearer
02-03-2015, 05:39 PM
As I already outlined, ENC+NEC in outdoor zones. Snare, Fear, Double pet DPS, and preferably the enchanter has a backstabbing pet.

ENC + Paladin is good, ups the paladins DPS and healing with ENC buffs.

ENC druid is also strong, but better outside.

ENC SHM strong in dungeons, too. People say they ahve too many spell overlaps, but as I see it, it just lets oen person handle haste and the other handle slow. Shaman heals and has pet up, Enchanter pulls and has pet DPS.

Great stuff Capt but sorry for not being more clear. I actually meant to ask for suggestions for Cleric + ________. I know Cleric + Enchanter is supposed to be ridiculous, but I was wondering how Cleric + another class would fare. Any ideas?

captnamazing
02-03-2015, 06:05 PM
Great stuff Capt but sorry for not being more clear. I actually meant to ask for suggestions for Cleric + ________. I know Cleric + Enchanter is supposed to be ridiculous, but I was wondering how Cleric + another class would fare. Any ideas?

Ah my bad, read that wrong. I know that Cleric + Monk is pretty good. If the monk is good, you'll only have to fight 1 mob at a time, and monks have the best upfront DPS of melee (barring epic'd warriors). As a warrior, I've done a lot of duoing with Clerics. DPS is fucking slow, but you can kill many things. Once the WAR gets epics and has a good haste item, they are about equal to a monk in terms of DPS and require less healing. Warrior can also get a Melodious Truncheon to proc tepid deeds on enemies! However, warrior, unless halfling, have absolutely no capacity to control their pulls, so it'll be up to the CLR to calm enemies for the pull (better have some CHA gear).

Additionally, I have seen a Cleric + Mage duo absolutely wreck seafury island. Get a pet up with DS, Cleric roots mobs next to pet and keeps it up if need be. Pretty awesome to see, although they took all my mobs.

The main thing holding Clerics back from duoing is that they lack offensive buffs/debuffs. No hastes or slows, no mana-efficient DoTs. Pretty much unless you're fighting undead, the cleric is stuck medding and healing the DPS. And unless the DPS is also a good tank, the cleric will be burning all their mana trying to keep them up.

That being said, at high levels i have done a lot of cool stuff with my cleric friend.

sox7d
02-03-2015, 07:03 PM
ITT: Enchanters are to duo comps as cranberries are to juice blends.

Bodybagger
02-03-2015, 07:08 PM
cleric + mage fire pet is pretty beast. Mage fire pet is some of the best dps in game til 50+ even counting enchanter charm pets, just because the fir epet has HUGE damage shield.

Cleric adds the missing ingredients... heal and root. Get torch of alna to focus fire pet, summon max level pet, give summon weaps and haste, buff to hell, sit back and high five