PDA

View Full Version : 40% Exp most will not let you group?

ttime123
02-01-2015, 10:23 AM
I want to make a Paladin but , I heard that most will not group with yah.
I wonder can the Dev's do something about the classes that have the 40%
exp deal, so they can be more useful to others on the server. Just wondering
i'm new was just wondering if that can be done?

Mentathiel
02-01-2015, 12:47 PM
Honestly? There are groups who will turn you down, but you don't want to be in those groups anyway.

A human cleric who just hit level 11 will need 121% of the experience a human cleric who just hit level 10 will need. A level 12 cleric will need 144% of the experience, more than the 140% a level 10 paladin of their race needs. Once that cleric hits level 13, they are taking a larger share of the experience gain (169%) in your group than even a troll SK (168%) who brings bash and regen to their tanking. The grouping rules allow for characters to groups up who are 1.5 times the level of the lowest member, taking 225% of their xp; compared to that, what's 40%?

Let those min-max idiots try to build a group out of halfling rogues and warriors, eking out every drop of xp bonus they can. I would rather take a hit to my XP and group with a paladin whose company I enjoy than worry about levelling a little slower. Besides, there's a set of dungeons (Befallen, Unrest, Mistmoore) filled with undead where you'll get a group more easily than a warrior simply because you are a paladin.

Thulack
02-01-2015, 12:49 PM
Come velious the xp penalty is removed. If someone doesnt want to group with you now because of it then you shouldnt want to group with them either.

Argh
02-01-2015, 12:50 PM
People who don't want to group with hybrids are idiots and savages.

Swish
02-01-2015, 12:56 PM
Just get a fungi and solo, that's the meta going forward.

stakha
02-01-2015, 01:16 PM
Just play what you like, most dont care about the penalty. I prefer knights as tanks in xp groups usually.

Mentathiel
02-01-2015, 01:47 PM
To be fair, when the enchanter / wizard / rogue gets aggro, you want a knight in the party because they can often peel it off faster and more reliably. I have also seen a well-placed lay on hands turn a potential wipe into a victory.

Play a paladin if you like paladins. If you get turned down for a group for your exp penalty, you just got saved the frustration of grouping with idiots.

Kaleadar
02-01-2015, 02:14 PM
My SK is 48 and never had an issue getting a group if room is available. Tho normally I just solo so I can afk if I want when I want.

curtischoy
02-01-2015, 04:12 PM
I have never been turned down for my ranger. I have had some people bitch about the exp and actually leave the group, but fuck those guys.

Nuktari
02-01-2015, 04:44 PM
People who don't want to group with hybrids are idiots and savages.

http://media2.giphy.com/media/UxxNOVRjB9O7u/200.gif

sox7d
02-01-2015, 06:43 PM
I've got a 49 Ranger and I've never been rejected from a group that wouldn't have taken anything short of an epic'd rogue. Most group rejections are due to "already have a healer" or "we're doing fine with x amount of people."

GinnasP99
02-01-2015, 11:28 PM
Fun fact, an iksar monk hurts group xp more than a paladin/bard

Messie
02-01-2015, 11:49 PM
Fun fact, an iksar monk hurts group xp more than a paladin/bard

Is that true? I feel even more evil now. :D

Celatus
02-02-2015, 12:11 AM
Honestly? There are groups who will turn you down, but you don't want to be in those groups anyway.

A human cleric who just hit level 11 will need 121% of the experience a human cleric who just hit level 10 will need. A level 12 cleric will need 144% of the experience, more than the 140% a level 10 paladin of their race needs. Once that cleric hits level 13, they are taking a larger share of the experience gain (169%) in your group than even a troll SK (168%) who brings bash and regen to their tanking. The grouping rules allow for characters to groups up who are 1.5 times the level of the lowest member, taking 225% of their xp; compared to that, what's 40%?

Let those min-max idiots try to build a group out of halfling rogues and warriors, eking out every drop of xp bonus they can. I would rather take a hit to my XP and group with a paladin whose company I enjoy than worry about levelling a little slower. Besides, there's a set of dungeons (Befallen, Unrest, Mistmoore) filled with undead where you'll get a group more easily than a warrior simply because you are a paladin.

This!! People never think twice about grouping with someone 3-5 lvls higher than them but an even lvl hyb and they go nuts. They are just bad at math. I play a Ogre war so I have a minor penalty but I have grouped with sks and rangers at the same time and still gotten good exp. Its way overblown. Play what you like and if you cant find a group make one. Pallys and Sks are awesome at what they do. A well played bard or ranger can do awesome things. Monks are often required. If you play well people will want to play with you.

Swish
02-02-2015, 12:20 AM
Worst is when a ranger says "aw no, don't get that bard... no more hybrids"

Pheer
02-02-2015, 12:48 AM
SK master race reporting in to say that people who turn down knights are indeed retarded

username17
02-02-2015, 01:07 AM
My main is a 55 Paladin. I thought I would run into the issue as well but it's not as bad as I expected. If you're a good player and can tank well people will want you in their group despite the experience penalty the class gets. The guild I'm in even has me main tank some Planar raids for my snap aggro.
After leveling a twinked Iksar Shaman leveling the twinked Paladin wasn't bad at all. I honestly didn't even feel the experience penalty until 50+. And that's when it slowed waaaay down.

This idea is to have alts to play just in case. Because you're not going to ALWAYS get a group. Some people do have hybrid hate. If I pop into KC and only tanks/dps are lfg I'll hop on my shaman and duo for a bit until a healer shows up.
I've never sat lfg for 2 hours and logged off. Some duo's and trios can work even if it's not the holy trinity of classes.

It's all about setting proper expectations and being flexible.

DarkwingDuck
02-02-2015, 01:44 AM
I want to make a Paladin but , I heard that most will not group with yah.
I wonder can the Dev's do something about the classes that have the 40%
exp deal, so they can be more useful to others on the server. Just wondering
i'm new was just wondering if that can be done?

I have an Alt lvl 36 pally. Never have a problem finding a group.. Unless it's that wierd day when there are more tanks around than dps I. A certain dungeon..
I love grouping paladins, cause you use BLIND as your main taunt , and keeps Agro better than anyone else under say 45

maskedmelon
02-02-2015, 11:08 AM
As already stated here, hybrid haters are retarded. They are unable to grasp the idea that grouping with a hybrid is basically like grouping with a player two levels higher than the hybrid, but with no penalty. Outside of static groups it is highly unlikely that all players will be within 2 levels of one another. That is not to say you should not try to though. Level discrepancies are far more often responsible for slow XP than hybrid penalties are. Poor playing is by far the greatest cause though ^^

The Paladin's snap aggrieved and cc abilities make them highly desirable for people who understand EQ. For everyone else, you just have to educate them by demonstration ^^

Burrito
02-02-2015, 01:23 PM
Those times where I'm in a group as a warrior- and one of the mages isn't controlling his pet so he keep breaking mesz. I just spam taunt and cry hoping to get aggro

But it's ok- because it's like this-

http://i.giphy.com/94EQmVHkveNck.gif

where the money is all my extra exp

mr_jon3s
02-02-2015, 01:34 PM
The exp penalty doesn't matter for knights because we always need more tanks. The server is flooded with shamans, monks, druids, and enchanters. So as long as your a good tank it doesn't matter aout the exp penalty.

nyclin
02-02-2015, 02:15 PM
Is that true? I feel even more evil now. :D

Only class penalties affect the exp distribution amongst the group. Racial penalties are not shared.

Mentathiel
02-02-2015, 02:26 PM
Only class penalties affect the exp distribution amongst the group. Racial penalties are not shared.
Except that [this post here (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24405)] disagrees with you and has Rogean in it.

TL;DR - the game doesn't differentiate between class xp penalties and racial xp penalties, it only using your experience total...

A month after Velious comes out, the class-based xp penalties get removed. After that, level is the single deciding factor for XP shares and racial xp penalties are not shared.