PDA

View Full Version : Qeynos or Freeport?

drelk001
02-15-2015, 05:54 AM
Which is the best starting zones for humans and half elves alike?

coki
02-15-2015, 06:03 AM
Qeynos if you like being alone/quiet and gnolls/fangs and Freeport if you like to go to Tunnel and whore yourself for buffs

Cecily
02-15-2015, 06:14 AM
I really like starting in the Qeynos area. Getting back to civilization is a fun adventure when you're done with the place.

drelk001
02-15-2015, 06:46 AM
I prefer qeynos mainly because it more good than freeport :P

Mentathiel
02-15-2015, 07:30 AM
Qeynos has more interesting quests in many cases and the low population helps when you come to finding a hunting spot. At least on GMT, you can usually find something to hunt. Of course, the disadvantage would be the West Karana has a wandering werewolf and a ghoul messenger to ruin any unobservant newbie's day.

Vandlaetari
02-15-2015, 07:30 AM
Will always love the Halas/Qeynos starting area . Blackburrow...Snow Orcs...Darkpaws...the best

myriverse
02-15-2015, 08:15 AM
Qeynos if you like being alone/quiet and gnolls/fangs and Freeport if you like to go to Tunnel and whore yourself for buffs
Whore yourself? I got more buffs just standing around.

Blackburrow and Fippy are the only good things west of the Karanas.

Swish
02-15-2015, 08:33 AM
http://www.glocaleye.org/bushbellicose.gif

http://911research.wtc7.net/mirrors/guardian2/wtc/south-tower.gif

Bones
02-15-2015, 08:44 AM
Qeynos is cool just stay out of Erudin, that place is like the projects/harlem.
You'll get mugged twice before you make it to the bank

gummab
02-15-2015, 09:20 AM
Qeynos for sure,started out there in 2000 and will be buried there when i die.

Catashe
02-15-2015, 10:05 AM
I'd prefer Qyenos myself.. Shame its a ghost town though. It just feels like more of a real town and the guilds there are 1000x times cooler(well except the wiz/enc/mage guild... Its like they kinda ran out of interesting ideas and just stuck it in the corner out of the way somewhere). I mean you got the UFO people and the evil guild is the best one around hands down. Then you got the Surefall guild... The best druid/ranger guild simply cause the competition is a farm or platform on Kelethin somewhere in the back lol....

Swish
02-15-2015, 10:22 AM
Roll in Qeynos and do the various quests there (diseased wolf pelts, gnoll fangs, bandit sashes, etc)... if you don't know Qeynos, its a good time to learn.

Jaleth
02-15-2015, 10:48 AM
I personally like Qeynos better aesthetically and quest wise, but simply chose Freeport because of the nearby dock to Faydwer. Gives you quick acces to two continents, though one can wait an eternity for a boat to arrive. Plus as a shadow knight, I would rather roll with Inny than Bert.

loramin
02-15-2015, 12:17 PM
Qeynos, obviously.

Qeynos = SonyEQ

/em drops the mic

loramin
02-15-2015, 12:18 PM
P.S. Thanks Swish for the towers: I'm glad someone around here still has respect for proper P99 poll culture.

Jimjam
02-15-2015, 02:37 PM
Qeynos if you actually want to play everquest. Freeport if you don't like playing the game and just want to be carried through content by cheap twinkage and accessibility to high level buffs before eventually ragequitting because the game is too punishing when you can't roflstomp mobs for xp.

indiscriminate_hater
02-15-2015, 02:42 PM
thanks for respecting protocol, swish. also, where is option for swamp?

ko37qtl
02-15-2015, 03:38 PM
I like both of them but the low population of Qeynos keeps me from moving any low characters over there unless I somehow know I can get a bind in the area. I had a devil of a time starting out with my erudite necromancer. I finally just picked up stakes and moved to Freeport rather than have to make the Blackburrow induced corpse runs from Erudin. A Qeynos bind would have made that just fine but there wasn't ever anyone around who could do it when I was there.

myriverse
02-15-2015, 04:15 PM
Main reason I don't play a ranger is because they can't start in Freeport...

or Neriak.

Kidding about that last bit.

Ravager
02-15-2015, 04:28 PM
Qeynos for a brand new player. More quests and gear to get. One of my favorite things to camp on a new char are the Rat Tooth Earrings and Limestone Rings. An extra 20hp that you can get for yourself at level 5 is a pretty big deal.

Swish
02-15-2015, 04:50 PM
Don't you get 2.5pp per diseased wolf pelt? That quest is well worth a look

maskedmelon
02-15-2015, 10:28 PM
I've always leveled on Faydwer and abhor the Freeprot area for exp. Blackburrow always looked fun and qeynos is a neat city too which I have traveled many a time, but it is just so far from Faydwer... Also, I've never made a human or half elf character. Maybe I'll roll a half-elf In the near future and experience BB firsthand ^^

Ravager
02-15-2015, 10:35 PM
I have a feeling that Qeynos will be more popular once druids get the Surefall port.

drelk001
02-15-2015, 10:40 PM
I have a feeling that Qeynos will be more popular once druids get the Surefall port.
yeah, I didnt think about that :P yeah

unleashedd
02-16-2015, 05:10 AM
qeynos is so boring, people have to promote it on forums ;) freeport 4 life

Lyrith
02-16-2015, 10:19 AM

Oh man I forgot all about this!! Does this change happen with Velious? I forgets...

Herpa Derp
02-16-2015, 10:23 AM
"Freeport: Land of the free, home of the port." -Boomba the Big as dictated in the official prima guide.

GreldorEQ
02-16-2015, 10:27 AM
I never spent much time in Qeynos or the Karanas area on live. I have very much enjoyed my time leveling, questing and interacting with others in this region.

whitebandit
02-16-2015, 10:32 AM
Oh man I forgot all about this!! Does this change happen with Velious? I forgets...

it was sometime during the velious era, around the same time the warrens was implemented IIRC

Bodybagger
02-16-2015, 10:49 AM
I absolutely love Qeynos, Blackburrow, Everfrost, Surefall, and Halas... I spent so much time ther ein 99-2000 it isn't even funny. Ironically I HATE the Karanas, collectively the least /played time zones I have occupied in the game probably. I despise them with a fiery passion. I can roll a new character and go from everfrost to blackburrow to everfrost tundra and into permafrost all day though... literally could happily do 1-30ish all in the area and be happy. Problem is here (red99) you don't usually have 1-2 buddies to do that grind with so everyone just goes to Faydwer for leveling.

It probably stems from my affinity towards classes with no run speed or ports early on. But Everfrost is simply an incredible zone, as are Qeynos and Surefall.. the hidden areas and nooks and crannies are so much more awesome as a newb. I hate Freeport proper, with a fiery passion. The commonlands also suck. Nektulous, Oasis, Befallen, Lavastorm, anything south of Oasis... all lots of fun. EC/WC/FP I use for nothing but boating through. I cannot stand leveling there in any way.

Lojik
02-16-2015, 10:57 AM
Qeynos is not a hard area to get to even before surefall port. West portal then evacuate west and you're at QH zone line. /who all wizard 49 60

Catashe
02-16-2015, 07:28 PM
Qeynos is not a hard area to get to even before surefall port. West portal then evacuate west and you're at QH zone line. /who all wizard 49 60

Wait there are Wizards on this server? Since when?

Swish
02-16-2015, 07:30 PM

or run a druid from NK and succor in the absence of those "wizards" :p

Bodybagger
02-16-2015, 07:30 PM

Come to Red99! Meet real live wizard! And hybrids! See it all, Red99!

:D

ArumTP
02-16-2015, 08:14 PM
Surefall port would only make it easier to get out of Qeynos. Other hand I thought it was a luclin era port. Like when they added jaggedpine forest?

HeallunRumblebelly
02-16-2015, 08:22 PM
Qeynos is backwater dogshit used for soulfire faction and forgotten. Freeport is the city of kings.

fadetree
02-17-2015, 09:22 AM
Qeynos if you are a self made player. Freeport if you like to get buffed past all teh hard parts.

drelk001
02-17-2015, 03:52 PM
Qeynos if you are a self made player. Freeport if you like to get buffed past all teh hard parts.

/agree

I like killing in BB but Befallen is good for undead, I love playing Necros :P

Mentathiel
02-17-2015, 08:55 PM
I took my dark elf enchanter up to 4 in Nektulos Forest, 4-8 in Crushbone (once I had the illusions required) and then moved to Qeynos Hills / Karana after that. Qeynos is perhaps my new favourite region, if only because it is quieter without being dead.

DrKvothe
02-17-2015, 10:01 PM
Neither are the best, but Qeynos is much better. Qeynos at least has the rabid wolves for spell money. FP has auction spam, over-hunted newbie grounds, and the cheap feeling of begging for buffs.

An ideal newbie zone has plenty of mobs levels 1, 2, 3, and 4. FP has mostly lvl 1 mobs with fewer level 2 mobs. Once you're level 3, getting to 4 is annoying, especially if you're an enchanter or wizard or something. Also, a newbie zone should have instant cash items, like cloth and rusty weapons, as well as valuable items like HQ bear skins to help buy those 5/55 rings asap.

My preferred newbie zones:
Everfrost - HQ bear skins, polar bear skins, plenty of cloth and rusty weapons.
Innothule - great level spread, tons of woven/mesh, alligator skins
Steamfont - good level spread and mino loot is pretty solid cash

I hate misty and nektulos, and I haven't tried toxx yet.

Ravager
02-17-2015, 10:10 PM
Neither are the best, but Qeynos is much better. Qeynos at least has the rabid wolves for spell money. FP has auction spam, over-hunted newbie grounds, and the cheap feeling of begging for buffs.

An ideal newbie zone has plenty of mobs levels 1, 2, 3, and 4. FP has mostly lvl 1 mobs with fewer level 2 mobs. Once you're level 3, getting to 4 is annoying, especially if you're an enchanter or wizard or something. Also, a newbie zone should have instant cash items, like cloth and rusty weapons, as well as valuable items like HQ bear skins to help buy those 5/55 rings asap.

My preferred newbie zones:
Everfrost - HQ bear skins, polar bear skins, plenty of cloth and rusty weapons.
Innothule - great level spread, tons of woven/mesh, alligator skins
Steamfont - good level spread and mino loot is pretty solid cash

I hate misty and nektulos, and I haven't tried toxx yet.

It surprises me how many people don't go to North Ro. There's a ton of decaying skeletons there that drop cloth, bone chips and weapons and there's pumas to get to 4 when you're bored killing skeletons, but really, you'll make some good noob money just by grinding the skeletons to 4. Not to mention vendors with food and guards to run to right there at the inn.

justinedwardperry
02-17-2015, 10:13 PM
It seems this is a Qeynos heavy thread! Qeynos has it's advantages for sure, but you guys are judging Freeport based on EC and that's it... FP has access to the boats which is great for sure, Faydwer, Kunark, Velious... only a few zones from FP! North Ro, Oasis, West Commons are good places to level through the teens. Befallen is a great low level dungeon comparable to Blackburrow I think. And no other zone is like Lavastorm with 3 dungeons off it and a dragon!

Now I love Qeynos area too, so much fun. But hard to find a bind always. And if you make tons of Plat in Qeynos you still have to go to EC to spend it... Surefall Glade port changes Qeynos a bit, which is nice! More druids over there.

Before EC became EC, Freeport was the main hub anyways. My first character (Not in beta) was a human monk. North Ro was SO much fun, EC orcs were a great way to meet other noobies. The point is if you judge Freeport base on EC then you are missing all the great things about FP.

unleashedd
02-18-2015, 01:05 AM
i forget the name of the server i played on live, but before EC tunnel became the auction hub, NFP by the bank was THE PLACE TO SHOP. the area by the bank had hundreds of players, you had to seek out evil races in the sewers to trade with, gave it an awesome black market atmosphere

Ravager
02-18-2015, 07:22 AM
It seems this is a Qeynos heavy thread! Qeynos has it's advantages for sure, but you guys are judging Freeport based on EC and that's it... FP has access to the boats which is great for sure, Faydwer, Kunark, Velious... only a few zones from FP! North Ro, Oasis, West Commons are good places to level through the teens. Befallen is a great low level dungeon comparable to Blackburrow I think. And no other zone is like Lavastorm with 3 dungeons off it and a dragon!

Now I love Qeynos area too, so much fun. But hard to find a bind always. And if you make tons of Plat in Qeynos you still have to go to EC to spend it... Surefall Glade port changes Qeynos a bit, which is nice! More druids over there.

Before EC became EC, Freeport was the main hub anyways. My first character (Not in beta) was a human monk. North Ro was SO much fun, EC orcs were a great way to meet other noobies. The point is if you judge Freeport base on EC then you are missing all the great things about FP.

Any city where they poop in the street is a classy city.

Nefarum
02-18-2015, 07:42 AM
i forget the name of the server i played on live, but before EC tunnel became the auction hub, NFP by the bank was THE PLACE TO SHOP. the area by the bank had hundreds of players, you had to seek out evil races in the sewers to trade with, gave it an awesome black market atmosphere

Veeshan and Saryrn servers were like that. I was quite surprised when I came to this server and NFP wasn't the auction zone.

unleashedd
02-18-2015, 07:52 AM
SARYRN thats it, thanks Nefarum. EC did eventually get established as the auction place, but i never understood why - theres not a banker in sight :)

Pep
02-18-2015, 07:53 AM
Qeynos catacombs >> Freeport sewers

Come on guys, have you ever visited the temple of Bertoxxulous below town? That place alone has more charm and lore than all Freeport zones together. My vote gos to Qeynos.

unleashedd
02-18-2015, 07:57 AM
was there an auction hub in qeynos catacombs ever? the atmosphere in freeport sewers, while trading, was made by the players not some static npc junk (also, sony eq backwards? so "clever")

maskedmelon
02-18-2015, 10:32 AM
It surprises me how many people don't go to North Ro. There's a ton of decaying skeletons there that drop cloth, bone chips and weapons and there's pumas to get to 4 when you're bored killing skeletons, but really, you'll make some good noob money just by grinding the skeletons to 4. Not to mention vendors with food and guards to run to right there at the inn.

I always forget about NRo and bemoan the awfulness that is EC lol ^^

Whirled
02-18-2015, 03:55 PM

we all anon or role

ghost182
02-18-2015, 04:27 PM
Steamfont mountains.

drelk001
02-18-2015, 04:29 PM
Steamfont mountains.
YES!

Ravager
02-18-2015, 04:40 PM
If you're in Steamfont already, you may as well run to GFay for the bard mail quest.

Makwa
02-18-2015, 05:41 PM
Steamfont? Ew.

Qeynos for sure, though I will agree the Freeport Humans have some better evil deity choices

drelk001
02-18-2015, 05:59 PM
If you're in Steamfont already, you may as well run to GFay for the bard mail quest.

When I play gnomes, which I do often... I run to Gfay and get a bind in kelethin :P