PDA

View Full Version : A little about my time here and EQ

iruinedyourday
02-17-2015, 02:22 AM
Hey guys, kind of long post here. I just was thinking about some of the time I spent on p99 and some of the wacky adventures I've gotten into and wanted to share some of them with you all just to see if maybe they seem interesting to anyone else who loves EQ. We have twitch.com now to experience all this, almost live, all over the place as if we were an OS from that movie Her, but still wanted to share some of the private memories I've had playing p99 because its such an interesting and great thing. Its like an Onion, under everyone's favorite thing about EQ is someone else's.

I found out about p99 after looking around the web for some game to play, to itch my life long d&d fantasy nerdish scratch that seems to tingle every few years. The server was coming up on its 5th year so as unlucky as I was to join at this time, not being able to loot a DE mask on a Ranger or something cool like that, I was lucky in that the game was at a state where it was perfectly classic EQ to the naked eye. My journy really consisted of 3 different classes, a Bard an Enchanter and a Shaman. All classes I haven't played before. I was a Paladin, and only made it to the (rolle play bs inc) 52deth circle.. before I was like fuck this I have to pay attention in school or I'm going to jail or something back in the real '99.

My first character on the server was a Bard. I never really knew much about the class from the real 1999 other than, once a bard I randomly ran into had some super speed and flew me across south ro in a flash with a hold onto your butts attitude that I thought was really cool at the time. So I thought it was the perfect class to try to re-live that, 'what the fuck is this game' memory from back then with. I also started out in the Karanas since the Farmers are so clasic! I did roll a woodelf and ran him there, not the most classic but because fashion quest is the ultimate quest in my opinion. The trip from Kelthin to there at level 6 or 7 with no gear was a pretty fun journey for a first time back in Norrath after 15 years too. I knew the way but also was able to RP those, 'oh shit dont get lost' feels. So it wound up being a nice classic feels bonus, taking the boat and all that again.

I should get to where I leveled, the trip from 8-17 was spent killing knolls and soon discovering the Bandit Sash quest, promptly having my mind blown at how much plat I'd be able to make selling those bronze weapon rewards from the turn in. I was starting to figure out play the class by the time I left Black Burrow and started venturing out into the Karanas. Durring my run in BB a lot of People were complaining about the Gnoll fang quest and the state of the zone. Personally after spending a couple weeks there I felt it was pretty chill. I remembered in '99 it was crowded as all hell, and on p99 it had a pretty healthy population. Crowded, a bit, but that's what the zone was supposed to be I thought.

Anyway I started reading on the web about bards, re-reading Fansy's old blog, learning from videos during work about circle kiting and how Bards can be played. I'd eventually want to try all the things, charming giants in Rathe, grouping and twisting 4 songs at once, and of course the OP circle kite.

My first goal was to save up some plat and gave myself little roleplay classic quests of my own, like figuring out how the hell someone back in the day would get Bronze armor. To have a full set of bronze at the level appropriate for it was the ultimate for me back in '99. I managed to save up like 5 or 600 plat killing bandits, learning how to circle kite at the hill not far west from the zone to Qeynos hills. Id pull a few trying to lull or strategically pull from an angle where I'd get a single or 2 out of a 3 or 4 spawn. It isnt the most ideal camp, nor was my strat but it worked. Some of the bandits were casters, so I had this awesome trick where if I pulled a caster, I'd take a hit from the spell or 2 while I run-slowed the melee bandits and then I'd drag them all the way to the guards with Selo's. By the time Id get to the guards near the zone to Q-hills, the casters without the run slow would be a good distance ahead of the melee's. Id kite them into the guards and turn while they fought each other and then turn south and pull the melee's away and back to the spawn to circle kite them to death. I was pretty proud of that little strategy, totally inefficient in the grand scheme of things, but for a newb I thought it was p cool.

The biggest kite I'd be able to put together there was like 6 or 10 mobs, but those low numbers made failures pretty infrequent and was a good way to get used to the process. By the time I was in my high 20's I wanted to see some of kunark and so I started doing the classic bard kite zones, Warsalik Woods, killing Iksars and then the OT. The OT was so awesome, the experience was so insane that if you ever get a chance to play a bard there you lol so hard from all the posts about how bards are the worst. You'll try and do your best to be fair and not greedy but as always in EQ you are gonna cut someone off trying to exit a freeway and cant help causing a minor pileup. But it is something worth trying out even if you intend on deleting the bard afterwords.

About this time, thanks to all these awesome forum posts & threads I had been reading I was starting to learn about how a great many number of people have learned how to, just kick the living crap out of EQ now. I wanted to get into the mix and kick the shit out of every named mob that kicked the shit out of me when I was a teenager too. So to gear up while I leveled I came up with a little hustle idea that seemed doable, I had been pretty successful in the lower level area of the OT kiting up to about 27, so I posted in EC to let someone AFK in my group and Id play all night letting them leach XP for plat. Some cool dude that everyone on the forum knows, that sells things every day in EC in a certain left hand side of the Tunnel Ent, took me up on the offer and from like 27-46 a little epic dwarf cleric stood idle on the rock next to the fort, while I ran around it in circles killing myself every 3 or 4 pulls for hours on end through the next week.

I managed to get a nice chunk of change, and my new Dwarf buddy shed lots of light on whats been going on on the server for the last many years. It is cool, all the crazy stuff that happens in the p99 Community. EQ is as much a game about interacting with other gamers in the same play space, as it is killing things and solving puzzles single pulling Fungi's in Seb. So its fun to hear about all the UN meetings it takes to play on the server together in RnF or read about the front lines on the Red server.

Well, about a week passed and the Bard made it to about 46 or 47 before I quit him and would move onto my next class, the Enchanter. I made My last attempt at leveling was in Skyfire, I think we tried the AFK thing, but the dwarf wound up dead and pretty much neither of us getting much exp. I had 1 or 2 successful pulls there, but like 10 failures. And god failing circle kiting in Skyfire sucks. First of all it takes even an efficient pull like 45 minuets to an hour to collect. The mobs in the zone have a ton more hit points too, so the kite takes like 20 minuets before it even starts dying off. Not to mention the wasps, listening to their droning hum from their wings for an hour, under that dark sky is terrible. Just like moving from the sun of the OT to that smoggy crap hole is enough to lower any ones moral.

So I decided that was it, I wanted to gtfo off the bard and do some solo dungeon crawling like a ninja with an Enchanter. Cashed in my gear, hit EC and put together a pretty good starter set on a pretty evil looking dark elf named Daveil Worship, with the sickest Darkelf red evil eyes face that's hit Norrath in 15 years. But that story is for another time. That is, if you guys dont think I'm totally obnoxious for sharing my TL;DR thread. I just thought it would be fun if we could all share some of our memorable moments from EQ for the annuls of 99 history somewhere. Thanks for reading! I love p99 and thank you so much Rogan Nilbog and the staff, Sirken, Derubel, Eumnonia, all whov'e come to my aid at one point or the other & the programmers that work together to make this place so classic. And thanks for all the hand outs and alternating camps and tips and tricks everyone that plays too, Dial a Port you were awesome!!! Go go Greengrocer!

rictus204
02-17-2015, 02:26 AM
didn't even mention me in your p99 autobiography?! wtf

mr_jon3s
02-17-2015, 02:35 AM
Heres a tip for if you ever play your bard. Burning woods pull the hornets undead gorillas skeletons and non caster sarnaks.

iruinedyourday
02-17-2015, 02:35 AM
didn't even mention me in your p99 autobiography?! wtf

Thats on page 37 :D

maskedmelon
02-17-2015, 10:29 AM
Great read! Thanks for sharing! I started off with what was familiar the first time around, but branched out to try something new after not too long ^^ I've never played a bard, but have read much of their awesomeness and your tale reinforces that understanding ^^

Arclyte
02-17-2015, 10:33 AM
absolutely did not read

quido
02-17-2015, 10:45 AM
nope

Thulack
02-17-2015, 10:50 AM
And my dwarf cleric still loves you to this day :)

Wfrench1234
02-17-2015, 11:27 AM
Tolstoy did it better

iruinedyourday
02-17-2015, 04:44 PM
absolutely did not read

lol

And my dwarf cleric still loves you to this day :)

haha yes!

Wfrench1234
02-17-2015, 05:49 PM
In all honesty, I love threads like this, but the cynic in me demanded snarkiness.

Faron
02-17-2015, 05:52 PM
did not read. did op get banned or something?

Faiding
02-17-2015, 06:51 PM
I wish I had enough free time to write whatever was in the OP.

DetroitVelvetSmooth
02-17-2015, 07:07 PM
all that time for blah blah blah but where are you when i need a rog?

iruinedyourday
02-17-2015, 08:27 PM
all that time for blah blah blah but where are you when i need a rog?

apparently writing about my bard.. maybe tonight! :cool:

Pringles
02-17-2015, 08:29 PM
nope

But, i did skim to the end and expect to see this was a confession of an RMT or something, glad i did not read the wall of text :)

captnamazing
02-18-2015, 04:54 AM
go on

iruinedyourday
02-18-2015, 06:45 PM
Coming soon..

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25736152/EQ/tbagsmall.gif

Swish
02-18-2015, 07:08 PM
Daveil Worship

If you had rolled on another server, you'd probably not be enjoying that name anymore :p

Lictor
02-18-2015, 10:40 PM
If you had rolled on another server, you'd probably not be enjoying that name anymore :p

Bring the red purge over to blue!

Cecily
02-18-2015, 11:11 PM
tl;dr

I dunno what that wall of text is about but lemme just say you're awesome and I'm glad you joined our community.

Portasaurus
02-18-2015, 11:34 PM
you're awesome and I'm glad you joined our community
^^^

I agree with this 100%. You're the first bard I ever actually liked.. but saying so reminds me: you still haven't ruined my day. Now, every day, I run around all paranoid about when and where and how it will be ruined by you, but it never happens. I wish you'd just do it already. The waiting is killing me. I'm starting to think this was all part of the plan. You're a real asshole come to think of it. How could you treat us like this?

Next time I see Juntsie, I'm suing you for false advertising and emotional distress.

I would cuss at you here in this closing remark, but this is server chat and kids read this.

squarez
02-19-2015, 01:28 AM
I'll wait for the movie

Clark
02-19-2015, 02:26 AM
No Blitzkragg references?! </3

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x205/Daldaen/EQ000183_zps931fe99b.png

I'm creating a petition to change the rule for tranix to FFA/FTE. The current system is not fair to the server and only to a select few overly dedicated individuals.

iruinedyourday
02-19-2015, 02:27 AM
No Blitzkragg references?! </3

You love the attention clark, and this thread gives you something to read while you sock tranix ;p

and yes Tranix should be FTE :eek:

Clark
02-19-2015, 06:07 AM
http://i.imgur.com/7bBcfB4.jpg

Maybe in my dreams. Tranix has escaped my love for a longtime ever since I've been working 60hr weeks on forced overtime.

My little P99 free-time goes to random PLing the community on Ferns my Druid like I've always enjoyed; and being Santa to try and make everyday a little more like Christmas. When raid mobs aren't spawned of course. Will be nice when I'm on 40hr weeks though looking forward to it to spread some extra cheer.