PDA

View Full Version : Lvl 11 and KOS to Corrupt Guards

chahdich
02-21-2015, 06:49 PM
My wife and I have been having a blast killing gnolls for teeth and lately killing bandits. This unfortunately has made me (Half-elf Bard) KOS to the corrupt guards.

I raised my faction with the 11 song to get around Qeynos but am wondering if the good and higher lvl guards will join in and help the corrupts kill me if I fight back?

Also back in 1999-2000 I killed lots of gnolls and bandits and never became KOS.

Thanks for any advice.

Mellodius

Evia
02-21-2015, 09:05 PM
The good guards have never jumped in when I fought the corrupt guards. That might be because my faction was so high with the good guards though, not sure.

Vermicelli
02-21-2015, 11:13 PM
I also feel that the faction hits garnered from the Gnoll fang quest in Qeynos in regards to dropping your Corrupt Guard faction are unusually high on Project 1999, as I recall turning in many many fangs on Live without becoming kill-on-sight with my good race/class/diety toons. However, on P99, my Tunare half-elf druid is KoS to Corrupt Qeynos guards. I have found "Mr. Number One" to avoid is Lieutenant Dagarok in North Qeynos, because he is a L50 shadowknight and will harmtouch dat booty. I haven't searched for proof of what the faction adjustments for the quests should classically be, but this could be your initiation as a bug sleuth for Project 1999! It is often a thankless, yet rewarding job.

Be sure to use the Wayback archive at http://archive.org/web/ to search for old Allakhazam forum posts or on other websites. For example, normally if it is a question of spell effects or melee ability, you could search the Wayback archive for the appropriate website. Enchanters used to (and still) post all their relevant knowledge at therunes.net. Rogues favor thesafehouse.org.

As Everquest Live quest completion text is now reporting "plus" or "minus" faction adjustments when you complete a quest, the P99 devs are also currently accepting faction adjustments witnessed on Live EQ to program quests on P99. If you happen to be able to access Live and can screenshot the faction adjustment from handing in a fang, that would give them some insight as to what needs to be in place on Project 1999.

Swish
02-21-2015, 11:18 PM
OP, if you can prove it was different back in 1999 they'll definitely change it to match what it was meant to be.

The sad thing about the Qeynos area is its vastly underused compared to Live so I don't doubt there's a couple of little "gremlins" still lurking on quests that aren't done often etc :p

Vega
02-21-2015, 11:38 PM
I'm not sure about the classic or not faction issue. I didn't do the gnoll fang quest a bunch back then. But I did do it a little on my first charater on p99, and got to kos to the corrupt guards at one point. I was a little stressed since Qeynos was my starting city (although that probably wouldn't bother me as much now). The guards weren't horrible, but I did have Madame Serena, outside the Mermaid's Lure, assist them and kill me at one point :(

You can also re-balance your Qeynos Guard faction (good v evil factions) by doing the Honey Mead for Trumpy quest a bunch and periodically conning the guards. That's what I did to get back from kos.

Clark
02-22-2015, 12:55 AM
Don't stress over factions my friend!

Xp > All :)

chahdich
02-22-2015, 01:14 AM
Thanks for the info guys - no I cannot prove faction from the old days or on the live servers, it just seems very high to me.

Tankdan
02-22-2015, 01:26 AM
Definitely not classic, as I grew up in Blackburrow and never became KOS back then, but it is not a big deal here. Maybe this would be a good thing for Devs to check out.

It's quite normal to be KOS to Qeynos and Freeport corrupt guards on P99, and almost a guarantee when you start raiding.

Kreylyn
02-22-2015, 08:35 AM
Live gives actual faction hit numbers. Just log in a live character, go do the quest/turn in, see the numbers.

You can post that info here and devs will adjust if it does not match. Unless there was a patch note that specifically mentioned adjusting faction hits... it's most likely not been changed. Post up any discrepancies you see in the bug forum with log info.

As a side note... give 3g to the begger called "the rat" or something like that, located in south qeynos at the docks, and your corrupt faction will go back up. You will loose some good factions but that is countered by doing the gnoll fang quests or you can do the novashine quests (turn in bone chips or 2gp).

Krey

Mentathiel
02-22-2015, 10:17 AM
I have used fangs and bandit sashes to take an agnostic dark elf enchanter to the point where even the paladins are apathetic and none of the corrupt guards got upset with me. I suppose it might be that I use human illusions (which they seem to like) and dark elves are considered allies when I forget to cast it, but have you been following up the fangs quest with the moonstones quest in Fish's Ale? It doesn't help your corrupt guards faction, but it does add extra non-corrupt guard faction, meaning that you can get away with more of the corrupt quests.

McNeal Jocub (who wants the moonstones) gives you a quest to go and collect a shipment of Blackburrow Stout (http://wiki.project1999.com/Blackburrow_Stout_Shipment); this improves the corrupt guards faction and the second half of the quest corrects the negative faction hits with non-corrupt guards. The other easy one is to go and grab the tackle-box for Faren (http://wiki.project1999.com/Faren%27s_Tacklebox) (on the dock where the boat does not arrive) and then hand in the dress you receive to Ton Firepride (http://wiki.project1999.com/Hurrieta%27s_Tunic_Quest) for corrupt guards faction. The second part of this requires illusions, invis or good faction with the Bloodsabers, so you might just want to destroy the dress. (If you can hand in the dress, one of the rewards is a ring which you can hand in to the paladins for faction)

fadetree
02-23-2015, 08:51 AM
It *is* classic. I was KOS to QCG in early 2000 for killing gnolls.

Baler
02-23-2015, 02:36 PM
You don't go KOS with the corrupt qeynos guards by killing gnolls.
Only when you turn in the gnoll fangs is when you lose reputation with them.

Also no one is making anyone turn in gnoll fangs, there is plenty of areas to level for all races and classes. You don't have to do gnoll fangs.

Finally if you do decide to do gnoll fangs, turn in the moonstones too so you can con McNeal Jocub and his friends at the bar.
When the Circle Of Unseen Hands & Corrupt Qeynos Guards see you as dubious then don't turn in anymore gnoll fangs and you can afk in qeynos in my experience.(excluding evil races)

fadetree
02-23-2015, 04:19 PM
Yes, yes, you are correct. There's not much reason to kill gnolls, IMO, other than to turn fangs in, so I considered it assumed. And the moonstone/booze followup does help your faction, and also makes you some cash. But really there isn't much to worry about going KoS to QCG, other than that red Lt. that will chase you. By the time you get KoS, they will be dblue at most. I always just ran away.

chahdich
02-23-2015, 05:43 PM
Thanks for all the help and info.

Perhaps it is classic to turn KOS so quickly turning in teeth, it's hard to remember 15 years after the fact.

I am currently using a bard song that improves faction to get around...it just makes me VERY cautious and nervous in Qeynos.

nilbog
02-23-2015, 06:01 PM
Live gives actual faction hit numbers. Just log in a live character, go do the quest/turn in, see the numbers.

You can post that info here and devs will adjust if it does not match. Unless there was a patch note that specifically mentioned adjusting faction hits... it's most likely not been changed. Post up any discrepancies you see in the bug forum with log info.

^ This.

Unfortunately when most quests were written, this was not an option. If someone can do these quests (or any others) on eqlive and post back their results, I will modify the scripts.