PDA

View Full Version : Effectiveness of SK tanking vs Warrior

EverquestRules
10-12-2010, 04:30 PM
How effective are SK tanks on high end raids? even for stuff like nagafen, CT, etc. Do they take a ton more damage? I know they hold aggro better.

ShivanAngel
10-12-2010, 04:46 PM
They take a bit more damage due to their defensive skills having a lower (IIRC much lower cap)...

Not saying they cant tank, they just take a bit more damage.

The difference gets way worse in kunark and velious tho, Defensive starts coming into play.

purist
10-12-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm pretty sure there's already 100 threads about this.

Orov
10-12-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm pretty sure there's already 101 threads about this.

fixt

Ridic
10-13-2010, 04:27 PM
They take a bit more damage due to their defensive skills having a lower (IIRC much lower cap)...

Not saying they cant tank, they just take a bit more damage.

The difference gets way worse in kunark and velious tho, Defensive starts coming into play.

Also, warriors get more HP / Stam, then SKs do. They're just better all-around tanks then any class, but have aggro troubles till kunark.

ShivanAngel
10-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Also, warriors get more HP / Stam, then SKs do. They're just better all-around tanks then any class, but have aggro troubles till they get their epics.

fixed!

Dantes
10-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Whatever. I'm an aggro pimp. All the mobs wanna beat me down. It's the dark elf mullet. Mullets add +1000 hate. You ever see a guy with a mullet and just want to punch him in the face? Well yeah, now you know how the mobs feel.

Virtuosos
10-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Sk's and Pallys hold aggro way better than warriors, initially....mana runs out and you are fucked though. Warriors are great at keeping aggro after having time to build it. Personally, id prefer a sk/pally MA, let them pull intial aggro, and then warrior takes it off them :s

odizzido
10-13-2010, 11:21 PM
I don't really know how it works for a pally all that well, but it's pretty much impossible to run out of mana as a SK if you don't blow it all on life taps or whatever. Even if you have something like 40int you will be able to cast disease cloud for like 10mins non stop.

audacity
10-13-2010, 11:24 PM
If the phrase "QQ more while I pewpew more" has not been used, I would like to use it now, thank you.

axionjaxion
10-14-2010, 01:31 AM
is that the same as less qq more pewpew?

Lazortag
10-14-2010, 01:56 AM
Warriors are ineffective tanks for one very important reason that verant could never have anticipated: most people who play warriors are stupid. I mean, who the fuck looks at the massive selection of classes and says, "lol, I'd love to be a warrior". When I was younger me and my sister pressured my brother be a warrior just to pick on him. Most people who willingly choose to be warriors are people who have about four braincells and find they can be entertained by pressing two buttons over and over again.

Now, I'm not saying there's no skill involved in being a warrior. Just that the concept behind the class tends to attract more mouth breathers than people who are actually intelligent or good at the game.

Virtuosos
10-14-2010, 04:09 AM
paladins stuns are great aggro, but it can be easily taken away (if the warrior is stupid and is using duel yaks when he isnt MT). for myself, i generally stun a mob like 6 times or so each time, just to be 100% sure he is mine. plus its a great disrupter for spell casters.

now, doing that when your monk is constantly pulling is a drain since you get very little time to sit...it might be that I am just over-casting this spell and not being effecient, but thats how i generally run out of mana.

DekThai
10-14-2010, 07:24 AM
Warriors are ineffective tanks for one very important reason that verant could never have anticipated: most people who play warriors are stupid. I mean, who the fuck looks at the massive selection of classes and says, "lol, I'd love to be a warrior". When I was younger me and my sister pressured my brother be a warrior just to pick on him. Most people who willingly choose to be warriors are people who have about four braincells and find they can be entertained by pressing two buttons over and over again.

Now, I'm not saying there's no skill involved in being a warrior. Just that the concept behind the class tends to attract more mouth breathers than people who are actually intelligent or good at the game.

I don't think warriors are ineffective as well. I had played cleric, bard and necro and I mean all you have to do is pushing couple of buttons just like warriors.

No matter what class you played, you do require teamwork and trust me, playing warrior class does required leadership and high level of collaboration in any situation. It's more than you know really if you ever play one.

Lagaidh
10-14-2010, 08:56 AM
paladins stuns are great aggro, but it can be easily taken away (if the warrior is stupid and is using duel yaks when he isnt MT). for myself, i generally stun a mob like 6 times or so each time, just to be 100% sure he is mine. plus its a great disrupter for spell casters.

On live, I simply didn't stop casting stuns until the mob died.

I was surprised to relearn our first stun is L30. I could have sworn it was L22. I feel like a naked paladin using Flash of Light for that extra nit of Lagro.

girth
10-14-2010, 08:59 AM
I prefer 1 or more warriors every raid. Hate those mana drainers.

Lazortag
10-14-2010, 11:53 AM
I don't think warriors are ineffective as well. I had played cleric, bard and necro and I mean all you have to do is pushing couple of buttons just like warriors.

No matter what class you played, you do require teamwork and trust me, playing warrior class does required leadership and high level of collaboration in any situation. It's more than you know really if you ever play one.

First of all you can't possibly compare the range of options available to a Bard to those of a warrior.

Secondly in my post I clearly said:

It probably takes more skill to tank as a warrior at certain levels because they don't have things like disease cloud to help them with aggro. It's just that so many idiots roll warriors (for reasons I mentioned) so warriors tend to seem like shitty tanks.

If I were more convinced that you could level really quickly as a warrior I might roll one, but they just cost so much money to gear up.

ShivanAngel
10-14-2010, 11:56 AM
I think one of the best things they did for warriors on live was give them an agro ability on a semi long CD (like 30 seconds)...

Before that it was a matter of assist will be called when I get X procs....

Dantes
10-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Idiots roll warriors? I've seen the opposite. If you are going to roll a warrior, you have to make a sacrifice and understand that you might not be the best at getting aggro but it will pay off later because you'll be needed as a raid tank. You have to understand that if you ever want to get aggro it's going to be hard to afford to gear yourself up. I think this makes most Warriors patient and disciplined people who understand what they are getting into. That is, if they don't give up along the way and wind up on Bob's Toon sales. The rest of us are sticking to our guns and laughing at the hybrid exp penalty thread.

I can understand if you enjoy playing a Paladin or a Shadow Knight and that's your thing, but to make the decision based purely on instant gratification and what works now is probably a mistake. Kunark and Velious dungeons were some of the most fun I've had in the game, and it made me glad I chose my class.

Mimn
10-14-2010, 02:11 PM
If you can't get and maintain aggro as a warrior at any level you're just not playing the class correctly and/or you're grouping with the wrong people. I played the class through all the tweaks, Furor whining, etc. and found it ridiculous. The biggest problem I observed were all the warriors who fancied themselves DPS. If you want to feel uber take your Earthshaker to ToV or such and out-damage your raid but when it comes to group fighting and you're trying to not get ping-ponged by jackass #4,321 with his moss covered twigs or stuns than ditch that mentality and you'll be fine. By 50+ you can keep aggro with fishing poles for cryin' out loud. you don't have to wait for your Epics to keep aggro.

SAMM - Warrior of Resolution
Firiona Vie

Kckelley
10-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Perhaps its the notion that warriors are simple that make it seem like there are a bunch of bad ones. A good player will milk as much complication out of three buttons as possible.

As a 15 warrior grouping in Oasis, I am definitely feeling the pain as far as keeping agro is concerned. I'm also not a twink. I had 300p from my rogue and that's where I started. It's going to be an interesting ride, but it'll pay off in the end.