PDA

View Full Version : Spells: Since this isn't really a classic server...

Daefuin
05-18-2015, 08:32 PM
Can we make non-lure nukes land on a decent basis?

Might as well since melee damage is broken as hell, item recharging is broken, and gear exists here in amounts that were never prevalent on live PvP servers of this era.

Let's make it interesting by not having everyone play a spell-immune, minigun-wielding melee class.

Thanks. :)

Daefuin
05-18-2015, 08:35 PM
Side-note: This is primarily in preparation for Velious as melees will go from nigh-immune to entirely immune with significantly increased HP pools and damage, whereas casters will... get new buffs... to buff the melee.

I'm all for a good melee deathmatch game, but let's keep that to like counter-strike knife rounds or something.

Thanks in advance.

Syft-X
05-18-2015, 09:42 PM
Daefuin now there's a classic name I just saw you in some screenshots of Darwoths I posted in the Shock of Lightning and knockback thread. People here are actually fighting to be fully resistant to spells like SOL and Chaotic feedback as well.

This server is insane melee dmg is set 2x higher than classic, and everyone has enough gear to be fully immune to every spell. People argue that this is the what you needed to resist the spells in kunark. But they blindly ignore that it's been 4 years of kunark and the game was never meant for everyone to have this lvl of gear.

Daefuin
05-18-2015, 10:29 PM
Haven't read that thread yet... but if you want anecdotal evidence...

I played during the classic-velious era as both an enchanter and wizard. It was very rare for me to ever have shock of lightning or chaotic feedback off my hotbar. I remember killing a lot of casters, even in my 50s, by shock of lightning spam in 1v1 scenarios. I don't ever remember either being fully resisted, though partials did occur frequently. For all intents and purposes the effects were unresistable.

As for credentials, I was in Darkenbane on both RZ and SZ (as were a few others around here). I won the Caster FFA PvP tournament as an unguilded wizard (Stanexx the Devastator) beating Tsnumaii's bard in the end. Though I can't remember the bard's name now... I got over 40 killshots one time solo in PoFear against a MiM raid. I know my way around PvP pretty well... and there are a lot of people more well-known than I that would vouch for my abilities. So, anecdotally, that's what I recall.

HOWEVER. This server is not classic. It is far, far from it despite the name being "Project 1999." The biggest difference is the knowledge of the playerbase and, due to duration of release, how widespread items and resists are that were never prevalent on live during this era. Think about this: there are literally THOUSANDS of blue diamonds being saved for Velious BD gear... Mechanically, there are a number of changes as well including item recharging, melee PvP damage, etc.

I guess I find it silly to use the "shit's classic" argument as a response to suggestions that would help balance PvP -- such as upping the required resistance levels to become immune to elemental nukes.

The game is different today - and some things need to be compensated for. Like... (drumroll) widespread usage of Hoops, Hats, and etc! That was changed because it created a better environment for PvP, or so they say, as there was not widespread usage of those items during this era. This is the entire point behind making suggestions to benefit some classes that are struggling in the current environment. And shits not gonna get better with velious rolling in...

Daefuin
05-18-2015, 10:53 PM
Un-derailing my thead where I derailed it.

This isn't classic. Make less viable caster's competitive by letting them land elemental-based damage spells.

Technique
05-18-2015, 11:24 PM
We'll have come full circle after two years of Velious when the majority is begging for Null's original resist system to be reimplemented.

Syft-X
05-19-2015, 11:00 AM
We'll have come full circle after two years of Velious when the majority is begging for Null's original resist system to be reimplemented.

Null had all spells set as nearly unresistable I wouldn't argue for that, but should we take the fact that it's been 4 years of kunark and come velious casters won't land anything but lure and lifetap into account when making spell full resist thresholds, absolutely.

It's playing lawyerquest with the code to blindly stick to spell resist caps from classic when the timelines of expansion release for this server are anything but.

Zalaerian
05-19-2015, 03:32 PM
100% agree with Dfn. Will always support balance over "classic"

Daefuin
05-30-2015, 07:31 PM
TO THE TOP

Qtip
06-03-2015, 01:54 PM

MEGANS LAW
06-03-2015, 02:20 PM
since this server isn't "classic" can we have instanced dungeons too? i feel i am being pushed out of PVE and it's not fair.

Thanks staff.

Vokhine
06-04-2015, 02:13 AM

Syft-X
06-04-2015, 10:20 AM
since this server isn't "classic" can we have instanced dungeons too? i feel i am being pushed out of PVE and it's not fair.

Thanks staff.

Doesn't pvp, can't pvp, opinion is invalid addressing anything pvp related.

derpcake
06-04-2015, 11:10 AM
Velious is going to make playing a caster for pvp purposes pointless.

Add to that that population will be spread out way more then it currently is.

On top of that, raid geared chars will crush casuals, due to the far larger gap in gear quality.

Good chance R99 doesn't survive the above issues, hence the staffs efforts to draw people to the server before velious launch.

Its been fun either way :)

derpcake
06-04-2015, 11:18 AM

Someone should parse some spells against 200+ resists.

With my limited experience, I guess nothing would land besides lures & unresistables.

On live BD were actually rare & expensive, I already have several banked for the velious launch, and I'm a pauper.

Its gonna be a wreck :p