PDA

View Full Version : Least Played Race/Class combos

Deckk
05-22-2015, 11:05 AM
Is there any place to find out what the least played class/race combos are?

I'm always interested in that kind of thing, and it could add a bit of fun to the game to play a rare combo (I think I've finally come to the conclusion that I'm going to need to experience many classes to be able to choose my main).

I'm guessing combos such as:

Human/Shadow Knight
Erudite/Shadow Knight
Dark Elf/Shadow Knight
Iksar? (min/max potential but high xp penalty and I haven't seen many)/Shadow Knight
Gnome/Cleric
Erudite/Cleric
Erudite/Paladin
Half Elf/Paladin
Wood Elf/Ranger
Human/Ranger
Half Elf/Ranger
Barbarian/Shaman
Gnome/Warrior
Wood Elf/Warrior

Just curious on numbers. Min/maxing is cool and all, but having some rarity is kind of a fun thing as well.

Whirled
05-22-2015, 11:11 AM
I think there was an old pie chart that broke down total choices but idk (if found) if it is legit at this point. Would guess it just best to wing it & either RP your favorite choice or do whatever you REALLY want to play.
Fwiw, i have a half elf ranger & I do not see many of them.

Cecily
05-22-2015, 11:12 AM
Playing a race + class for rarity is the polar opposite of being a min/maxer, but not in a good way. I played a wood elf rogue before they were mainstream.

DeathWalking
05-22-2015, 11:15 AM
I played a wood elf rogue before they were mainstream.

there was a time when they werent? decent race for rogue

Erica
05-22-2015, 11:21 AM
Would just take a GM with database access a few minutes to find out :P Erudite non INT caster / SK seems pretty rare to me though... I don't see many wood elf warriors or barbarian warriors either if they can be one.

For whatever reason I see a lot of halfling warriors :P

Deckk
05-22-2015, 11:22 AM
Playing a race + class for rarity is the polar opposite of being a min/maxer, but not in a good way. I played a wood elf rogue before they were mainstream.

I'm aware of that. But I could go either way. Min/maxing is fun. But then again, playing a rare class/race combo could be even more fun.

Just trying to see how rare things are :)

Emoteen
05-22-2015, 11:23 AM
Half Elf warrior is pretty rare as are Erudite Shadowknight and/or Paladin.

You'll see more Iksar SK and WAR with Velious coming.

Dwarves are a really solid race that gets overlooked for warrior as they don't have slam - most minmaxers just upgrade to ogre. But you do get the best jump.

I feel like I see people make some of the following just because of the novelty: DE-SK; GNM-WAR; ELF-RNG; ELF-WAR; BAR-SHM;

Cecily
05-22-2015, 11:24 AM
there was a time when they werent? decent race for rogue

I think they are pretty terrible tbh, but best aesthetics. Yes though. Back before I taught Culprit how to run rogue epic MQs.

Champion_Standing
05-22-2015, 11:25 AM
Erudite sk or pally is probably one of the least common, haven't seen a lot of high elf pally either, I would say that half elf is a more popular choice there. Plenty of DE SKs around. I think a lot of people do roll iksar SK but give up well before the 50s. Any ranger that makes it above 50 prob pretty rare regardless of race.

Nightbear
05-22-2015, 11:28 AM
Ik/sk master race

Deckk
05-22-2015, 11:36 AM
If I remember correct, and my memory is fuzzy... Doesn't the Half Elf Warrior get a... uhhh... helmet that looks like an erect penis in Velious?

khanable
05-22-2015, 11:38 AM
I know of one high end gnome warrior and they don't seem to log in much. Definitely the least played warrior race.

Iksar warriors used to be pretty rare - and I knew all of them. There is quite a few running around now. Swage and I are the best though, obviously.

Deckk
05-22-2015, 11:41 AM
I know of one high end gnome warrior and they don't seem to log in much. Definitely the least played warrior race.

Iksar warriors used to be pretty rare - and I knew all of them. There is quite a few running around now. Swage and I are the best though, obviously.

This is interesting. I was going to make a gnome warrior (gnomes are my favorite race) but wound up Iksar. Might re-roll?

Jimjam
05-22-2015, 12:04 PM
Don't gnomes get some perks come velious thanks to tinkering?

loramin
05-22-2015, 12:08 PM
http://p1999pop.dmsimard.com/db/Classes

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184864&highlight=class+race+combination

blondeattk
05-22-2015, 12:09 PM
`Wood Elf/Ranger`

rare?

doubt it. best ranger class is hfl.....:P

Whirled
05-22-2015, 12:10 PM
This is interesting. I was going to make a gnome warrior (gnomes are my favorite race) but wound up Iksar. Might re-roll?

This thread may help.
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191129

Tuljin
05-22-2015, 12:34 PM
http://p1999.dmsimard.com

This hasn't been updated in over 6 months but it still has interesting data.

I'd say the disproportionate number of level 60 Wizards since the Chardok machine started churning at the beginning of 2014 is even higher now than this data shows.

I'd also say Erudite Paladin is still the least played combo

Its also interesting that Druids are the most common rolled toons but have the smallest percentage of 60s.

kingbuzzo
05-22-2015, 12:37 PM
female human warrior

Deckk
05-22-2015, 12:38 PM
There is some interesting data posted here.

High Elf Paladin
Erudite Paladin
Erudite SK are all the least played race/class combos...

Yet, Rangers are the lowest played class.

Wizards are low, but the lowest played wizard is a "6" and at least a third of the way down the graph.

Definitely interesting. How do erudites look in plate? :)

zanderklocke
05-22-2015, 12:57 PM
Erudites in plate still wear robes according to bard illusions.

Thulack
05-22-2015, 01:12 PM
Half elf Druids are rare. But thats just cause they suck so much compared to halfling druids :)

Blux
05-22-2015, 01:18 PM
De necro imo

Loke
05-22-2015, 01:21 PM
I can only think of two high end dark elf warriors. Could be more, but Jhahl (mine) and the female DE warrior from TMO whose name started with an X are the only two I can think of.

Deckk
05-22-2015, 01:23 PM
Sidebar from my OP: Is there any place that tells you what race/class combinations can choose what as a deity?

And would choosing Rallos Zek as a "good" race make me KoS in Faydark?

zajurai
05-22-2015, 01:27 PM
Half elf paladin, warrior, druid, and ranger
Human enchanter, ranger, druid, SK, rogue
Dark Elf warrior, rogue
Halfling warrior
Gnome warrior, rogue, cleric
Iksar shaman
Erudite shadowknight, paladin, cleric
Wood elf warrior

Deckk
05-22-2015, 01:40 PM
I should ask this, too, and I'll combine it with my earlier question:

1) Would choosing Rallos Zek as a "good" race make me KoS in Faydark?

2) What deities are best as it pertains to Velious? I know Rallos Zek is best for Giant faction...

If I re-roll my warrior again (Was Ogre first, now Iksar) I want to roll the best race/deity for velious that fits the gfay starting area...

So basically I could get there with any good race... Dwarf, Gnome, Wood Elf are my top choices for a warrior, to be honest. Tried the evil races. LOVE the ikky, hated the ogre... but I want to try with a good race and see. So I want to know how much of a difference deity makes.

Emoteen
05-22-2015, 01:57 PM
1) My human cleric of innoruuk was not KOS anywhere in Faedwer - I think you should be okay as inny is directly opposed to Tunare. Might have trouble with the dwarves if anything.

2) Rallos Zek helps with the giants (I think an ogre RZ starts non-kos to Kael). It won't take much to fix faction in Velious, however.

Itap
05-22-2015, 02:13 PM
Erudite anything

tizznyres
05-22-2015, 02:30 PM
Human Enchanter

kaev
05-22-2015, 03:04 PM
I should ask this, too, and I'll combine it with my earlier question:

1) Would choosing Rallos Zek as a "good" race make me KoS in Faydark?

It should make you KOS in Kaladim (and maybe with certain guards in Butcherblock) without a bit of faction work. It did not do so when I made my WoodElf Rallos Warrior a couple years back (was indifferent iirc), but they have fixed a lot of faction stuff since then so it may do so now. Neither flavor of elves will be KOS and the affected dwarves are easy enough to avoid and/or fix.

jpetrick
05-22-2015, 04:01 PM

Sartok will give you both a run for your money.

Khoram
05-28-2015, 10:13 AM
barbarian shaman are rare? I see quite a few low level ones anyway. In vanilla live there were tons. So people only min/max here now for regen (iksar/troll) or stun immunity (ogre)?

My guild in live back in 99 had a wood elf warrior. Yeah, we never got very far.

I had a human druid and a DE SK. Human druid pretty classy looking in leather, and DESK was best plate look in game in vanilla imo. There were quite a few DESKs back in the day, as well.

Deckk
05-28-2015, 10:17 AM
Personally, I don't get the desire to min/max. The majority of us will never see the top end content. And even if you do, you'll get enough gear to really offset the racial choice in the end.

It makes things not as easy, sure, or it streamlines gear choices, but it's not end all/be all.

I tried an ogre warrior and hated it. Went iksar and liked it, but being kos everywhere stinks. I'm gnome now and having a ton of fun AND finding it easier to get groups. Play what you like. Seriously. If the min/max races are what you like, you're in luck. If they aren't, oh well.

Kutsumo
05-28-2015, 10:17 AM
barbarian shaman are rare? I see quite a few low level ones anyway. In vanilla live there were tons. So people only min/max here now for regen (iksar/troll) or stun immunity (ogre)?

My guild in live back in 99 had a wood elf warrior. Yeah, we never got very far.

I had a human druid and a DE SK. Human druid pretty classy looking in leather, and DESK was best plate look in game in vanilla imo. There were quite a few DESKs back in the day, as well.

There are lots of non-optimal race warriors in top guilds. Barb (Argh), wood elf (Tenderizer), halfling (Willfight) just to name a few... They do just fine.

I guess I'd say Human anything, other than maybe Ranger/Rogue who are more often Humans than most classes. Especially something like Human Mage or Wizard would be rare.

Daldaen
05-28-2015, 10:20 AM
Half Elf Druid
Half Elf Warrior

I have both, we are unique snowflakes in a sea of Wood Elf Druids and Ogre Warriors.

Khoram
05-28-2015, 10:21 AM
Agreed. I never made it to cap in original, I'll never be raiding in P99. EQ for me has always been more about the journey and the people. In a recent thread, people were advising race selection for a class based on how a single item looked that came from Veeshan's Peak. Maybe they were joking, I'm not sure. But holy crap lol I would never even have a chance at seeing an item like that, certainly not going to factor into my starting choices.

dafier
05-28-2015, 10:21 AM
I played a Woodelf Warrior on Live. I don't recall seeing one, other than beginning levels. I ended up getting him to lvl 46 and was running through DreadLands at the time when Gorenaire attacked me. I lasted about 25 seconds without heals. I believe I was buffed too.

At any rate, I believe that was crazy that I lasted so long....

- Woodelf Warrior

Kutsumo
05-28-2015, 10:22 AM
Personally, I don't get the desire to min/max. The majority of us will never see the top end content. And even if you do, you'll get enough gear to really offset the racial choice in the end.

It makes things not as easy, sure, or it streamlines gear choices, but it's not end all/be all.

I tried an ogre warrior and hated it. Went iksar and liked it, but being kos everywhere stinks. I'm gnome now and having a ton of fun AND finding it easier to get groups. Play what you like. Seriously. If the min/max races are what you like, you're in luck. If they aren't, oh well.

Well, it's usually the top end content that has the ability to equalize (to some degree) a non min/maxed race choice since there are stat caps.

Ogre vs <80str/sta race on a war is very noticeable, especially when undergeared. You're right though that some people will hate it due to size/graphics/etc. Just depends on whether the tradeoff in performance is worth it to you.

Deckk
05-28-2015, 10:36 AM
Well, it's usually the top end content that has the ability to equalize (to some degree) a non min/maxed race choice since there are stat caps.

Ogre vs <80str/sta race on a war is very noticeable, especially when undergeared. You're right though that some people will hate it due to size/graphics/etc. Just depends on whether the tradeoff in performance is worth it to you.

Somewhat disagree with first paragraph, totally agree with second.

Here's why I disagree: This server has been in kunark so long that you can get REALLY good gear in EC and minimize the stat disadvantages. Plus, skill DOES account for something. Sure, an equally skilled and geared Ogre/Troll/Ikky Warrior and DE/gnome/wood elf warrior are going to have a noticeable difference among them. But a meh ogre/troll/ikky is not going to be as desirable as a GOOD warrior of whatever race.

Personally, I think if you learn your class you can overcome the stat differences. Sure, life may be a little bit tougher, but 1) the lack of an xp penalty helps ease that burden (though with warrior it's not bad even with the large races) and 2) it's not too hard to overcome (in consideration with the p99 economy, of course).

kaev
05-28-2015, 10:53 AM
First Warrior epic on p99 went to a WoodElf, or so the wiki claims http://wiki.project1999.com/Warrior_Epic_Quest

It's pretty clear that that poopsocking is the ultimate minmax (poopsocker = anybody who plays more than you do, especially if they're a member of a guild you dislike).

Kutsumo
05-28-2015, 10:55 AM
Somewhat disagree with first paragraph, totally agree with second.

Here's why I disagree: This server has been in kunark so long that you can get REALLY good gear in EC and minimize the stat disadvantages. Plus, skill DOES account for something. Sure, an equally skilled and geared Ogre/Troll/Ikky Warrior and DE/gnome/wood elf warrior are going to have a noticeable difference among them. But a meh ogre/troll/ikky is not going to be as desirable as a GOOD warrior of whatever race.

Personally, I think if you learn your class you can overcome the stat differences. Sure, life may be a little bit tougher, but 1) the lack of an xp penalty helps ease that burden (though with warrior it's not bad even with the large races) and 2) it's not too hard to overcome (in consideration with the p99 economy, of course).

It's going to take velious raid gear to bridge the gap between gnome and ogre stat wise, not just tradable kunark gear from EC.

Comparing a poorly played optimal race vs well played non-optimal race in order to say that race doesn't matter is a logical fallacy - everyone knows bad players are bad, but when comparing two races it can reasonably be assumed that the player making the choice will be at the same skill level with either race. You're correct that skill outweighs race choice, but we're not comparing good players to bad players, just race to race. In the same way you can use skill to overcome adversity as a non-optimal race, you can do the same from a stronger starting point with better stats.

To be clear, I'm not arguing that everyone needs to reroll "best" race. Just pointing out that it's not all equal, regardless of what comforting things we want to say otherwise.

Deckk
05-28-2015, 10:58 AM
It's going to take velious raid gear to bridge the gap between gnome and ogre stat wise, not just tradable kunark gear from EC.

Comparing a poorly played optimal race vs well played non-optimal race in order to say that race doesn't matter is a logical fallacy - everyone knows bad players are bad, but when comparing two races it can reasonably be assumed that the player making the choice will be at the same skill level with either race. You're correct that skill outweighs race choice, but we're not comparing good players to bad players, just race to race.

I see your points. But still, I don't think the difference is all that large for a majority of people. And while you're correct that Velious can truly bridge the gap, Kunark tradable stuff can still bridge it enough to make the difference not all that noticeable (aside from frontal stun immune and innate regen).

Good convo.

Kutsumo
05-28-2015, 11:07 AM
I see your points. But still, I don't think the difference is all that large for a majority of people. And while you're correct that Velious can truly bridge the gap, Kunark tradable stuff can still bridge it enough to make the difference not all that noticeable (aside from frontal stun immune and innate regen).

Good convo.

Yeah the difference isn't huge, and it will never keep you out of a group/raid/etc. There could be rare cases where you'd have won/lost a fight depending on those differences, but by and large you'll never notice it and never worry about it.

Personally, I have a really difficult time when I roll a race that doesn't fit my class best because I'm a numbers guy. When buying str/sta gear for my iksar warrior, I'm sitting there thinking how the 60str/52sta advantage for Ogre is roughly equivalent with a full set of high end gear (stat-wise) and just can't get past it. I'm a little jealous of those of you who can reason your way past it or aren't bothered by it.

Deckk
05-28-2015, 11:14 AM
Yeah the difference isn't huge, and it will never keep you out of a group/raid/etc. There could be rare cases where you'd have won/lost a fight depending on those differences, but by and large you'll never notice it and never worry about it.

Personally, I have a really difficult time when I roll a race that doesn't fit my class best because I'm a numbers guy. When buying str/sta gear for my iksar warrior, I'm sitting there thinking how the 60str/52sta advantage for Ogre is roughly equivalent with a full set of high end gear (stat-wise) and just can't get past it.

That's cool, though, because you're playing something that you like/are comfortable with. I only get nervous about min/maxing when people try to force it on themselves.

I did it with my ogre and I wasted a portion (not large) of time leveling him a bit. I only did it because, "OMG! NUMBERS!!"

I did it with the Ikky (although, I liked the race, the area and the racials much more) and I wound up liking him. But the whole time I played him I thought, "Man, I'm going to have to stay near iksar land while I level to get my skills. I could venture out, but man, that's risky." And I wound up re-rolling.

I went gnome. Stats stink. But I'm having much more fun. 1) Gnome is my favorite classic race. 2) I think gnome looks badass in armor. 3) Not KoS everywhere. 4) Good starting area. 5) XP bonus (and not a penalty)

dafier
05-28-2015, 11:23 AM
With Velious being released in the next few months, filling those 'stats' won't be the issue that it is now.

Woodelf vs Ogre. Stats really won't matter. What has ALWAYS mattered though is the stun. Ogre Warriors have always been choice of end content guilds. Can't be stunned in the front makes a HUGE difference with boss mobs.

HippoNipple
05-28-2015, 11:28 AM
Is there any place to find out what the least played class/race combos are?

I'm always interested in that kind of thing, and it could add a bit of fun to the game to play a rare combo (I think I've finally come to the conclusion that I'm going to need to experience many classes to be able to choose my main).

I'm guessing combos such as:

Human/Shadow Knight
Erudite/Shadow Knight
Dark Elf/Shadow Knight
Iksar? (min/max potential but high xp penalty and I haven't seen many)/Shadow Knight
Gnome/Cleric
Erudite/Cleric
Erudite/Paladin
Half Elf/Paladin
Wood Elf/Ranger
Human/Ranger
Half Elf/Ranger
Barbarian/Shaman
Gnome/Warrior
Wood Elf/Warrior

Just curious on numbers. Min/maxing is cool and all, but having some rarity is kind of a fun thing as well.

Half Elf Warrior is probably the best class to choose if you are a min maxer and want to be unique. Although, if you are asking this type of question you won't be able to utilize it because it is only useful if you are the main tank in a raiding guild.

Of the races with high charisma they also have best combo of stamina/agi/dex. Charisma is the hardest stat to increase as a warrior through gear and it works with divine intervention.

Catashe
05-28-2015, 11:33 AM
I never really understood the whole min/max mentality on this server.. I mean why would most people roll certain race/class combo if they just don't like said race/class... Sure some racials are nice but I've never found them to be OMG I got to have them or I'm worthless.. Maybe it was just because alot of people started on this server back when it was just classic and starting stats actually meant something compared to today when everything been farmed 100000 times over and with Velious coming out its even more moot...

Deckk
05-28-2015, 11:36 AM
With Velious being released in the next few months, filling those 'stats' won't be the issue that it is now.

Woodelf vs Ogre. Stats really won't matter. What has ALWAYS mattered though is the stun. Ogre Warriors have always been choice of end content guilds. Can't be stunned in the front makes a HUGE difference with boss mobs.

Agree that it certainly makes a difference. But that is something that can be overcome (just a bit more work on the guildmates). And again, most people won't ever see the end game content at the highest end. When Velious comes out, I'll probably be trying to do Nagy/Vox raids, if that :)

HippoNipple
05-28-2015, 11:38 AM
I never really understood the whole min/max mentality on this server.. I mean why would most people roll certain race/class combo if they just don't like said race/class... Sure some racials are nice but I've never found them to be OMG I got to have them or I'm worthless.. Maybe it was just because alot of people started on this server back when it was just classic and starting stats actually meant something compared to today when everything been farmed 100000 times over and with Velious coming out its even more moot...

This server has been out for a very very long time. It has mattered up until this point and will continue to matter until you are level 60 with decent Velious gear. In addition it will continue to matter with racials (Iksar/troll regen, Ogre stun immunity, etc.).

Normally min/maxing has to do with race which is just looks, as opposed to class which would be a change in play style.

Starting stats will always matter for levels 1-50.

MycahDavith
05-28-2015, 12:16 PM
Half Elf warrior is pretty rare...

TIL I'm rare!!

milsorgen
08-07-2015, 07:57 PM
Half Elf warrior is pretty rare as are Erudite Shadowknight and/or Paladin.

The one true warrior.