PDA

View Full Version : Question Re: Ticks and Recovery

dekova
05-26-2015, 11:46 AM
Sitting to recover health and mana, I see some oddness with how health and mana are recovering.

Starting with a health of 107, a tick will bring it to 111, then down to 107, then up to 109.

I'm not hungry, is there some other mechanism that's causing my recovery to jump around like that?

Siets
05-26-2015, 12:14 PM
I've noticed the same thing for a long time and was also curious about this. Playing an iksar with enhanced health regen and don't want to be shortchanged!

Voland
05-26-2015, 12:17 PM
I noticed my hp jumping up and down too, someone told me it had to do with client/server sync.

waffel
05-26-2015, 12:19 PM
From what I understand its due to desync with the server.

Say you're sitting and you see a tick from 107 to 111 health. You stand up thinking you're good. But it was a desync tick. A second later the server does it's actual check. You were at 107, you're standing, you now gets a half tick putting you to 109.

Its frustating because its never the same. Sometimes you always see a real tick, sometimes its desyned and you get a fake tick before your real tick comes but you can use this to your advantage and sit down for a second so the real tick goes off while sitting.

Daldaen
05-26-2015, 12:24 PM
I noticed my hp jumping up and down too, someone told me it had to do with client/server sync.

This is correct.

You will have one tick, a fake tick. Bringing you up. Then another tick, the real tick, dropping you down 1-2 HP or Mana.

If you stand after the Fake tick but before the real tick, you won't gain sitting HP/Mana, just the standing regen.

Sometimes these ticks are 5 seconds apart, sometimes they are 1 second apart. I'm not exactly clear on what causes this. But you need to be sitting during both of them to get sitting regen.

It's very easy to see this in effect if you just watch your HPs and then count the time between fake and real ticks. If you're canni dancing or med kiting it's very important to know when you need to sit and when you can stand and move a little.

Zuut
05-26-2015, 12:30 PM
This is correct.

You will have one tick, a fake tick. Bringing you up. Then another tick, the real tick, dropping you down 1-2 HP or Mana.

If you stand after the Fake tick but before the real tick, you won't gain sitting HP/Mana, just the standing regen.

Sometimes these ticks are 5 seconds apart, sometimes they are 1 second apart. I'm not exactly clear on what causes this. But you need to be sitting during both of them to get sitting regen.

It's very easy to see this in effect if you just watch your HPs and then count the time between fake and real ticks. If you're canni dancing or med kiting it's very important to know when you need to sit and when you can stand and move a little.

When I was a younger shaman trying to canni between sitting med ticks, I noticed two things that may have an effect on this... or they may have just been my mind trying to correlate things by any means. The first was that certain UIs seemed have been effected by it more than others. The second was my ping.

I can buy the ping issue as a cause, but I think the UI issue would require someone to replicate the problem before I could be confident in the claim.

Just my initial observations.

Roguejm11
05-26-2015, 12:39 PM
I remember this from Live during 99-2002, seems like p99 is right on target with how that works.