PDA

View Full Version : Taunt....

Synicasm
05-29-2015, 01:58 AM
Someone was saying in my Group the other night that Taunt if you keep pressing it will wipe the aggro you have generated . Is this correct ? It was my understanding that if you are a tanking then pressing Taunt will just move you to the top of the hate list, so if you want aggro repetitively pressing taunt will just move you to the top of the hate list. The only thing is if you loose aggro you wont have to to snap it back right away.

Arkanjil
05-29-2015, 02:11 AM
Your friend is mistaken indeed! You are correct that taunt moves you to the top of the hate list, but you don't want to continually mash it. If you're on the top of the list, you won't need to move it to the top! You only need it for when you lose that aggro to another character (ie. chanter mezz, taunt, then hit mob). It's also not guaranteed to always work, depending on mob con and failure rate.

Jimjam
05-29-2015, 02:32 AM
Taunt moves you to 1 hate above the highest person on list.

For some reason some people believe that if your the highest person on the list taunt ignores your hate and instead puts you at whoever is second on the list +1 hate.

Deckk
05-29-2015, 07:42 AM
In my experience, I don't think taunt is working as intended (and that's probably on Verant/Sony more than it is p99). I press it and I know for a fact it doesn't put me +1 over the person on the top of the hate list sometimes. Sometimes it does. It's a strange phenomenon.

This is partially why SKs and paladins make good group tanks, though. Their spells generate a lot of hate, plus they have taunt as well which helps.

Pheer
05-29-2015, 07:45 AM
In my experience, I don't think taunt is working as intended (and that's probably on Verant/Sony more than it is p99). I press it and I know for a fact it doesn't put me +1 over the person on the top of the hate list sometimes. Sometimes it does. It's a strange phenomenon.

This is partially why SKs and paladins make good group tanks, though. Their spells generate a lot of hate, plus they have taunt as well which helps.

taunt can fail

Deckk
05-29-2015, 07:46 AM
taunt can fail

Understood. But sometimes the mob even says, "You will not interfere Grynde!" and still doesn't turn to face me.

Swish
05-29-2015, 07:50 AM
Understood. But sometimes the mob even says, "You will not interfere Grynde!" and still doesn't turn to face me.

Could be rooted.

Nothing worse as a tank than the dps hugging the mob when an unwelcome root won't break :p

Rogues/monks/etc... keep your distance, for the cleric's sake :)

Monty405
05-29-2015, 08:04 AM
Rogues/monks/etc... keep your distance, for the cleric's sake :)

You're not my EQ dad - you cant tell me what to do

Swish
05-29-2015, 08:06 AM
You're not my EQ dad - you cant tell me what to do

In my group you'll do as your told or no cookies :p

MycahDavith
05-29-2015, 11:20 AM
Who doesn't like Swish Cookies?!?!

Tenderizer
05-29-2015, 11:27 AM

You are correct, mobs that are not rooted and even if taunt lands they still will not turn on you. I find that this happens often enough for me to question how taunt works compared to my ability to tank on live.

Xiek
05-29-2015, 11:31 AM
when a mob is rooted, proximity becomes the only factor that determines aggro

Kutsumo
05-29-2015, 11:38 AM
You are correct, mobs that are not rooted and even if taunt lands they still will not turn on you. I find that this happens often enough for me to question how taunt works compared to my ability to tank on live.

Top hate +1 is not enough to make them turn though is it? I'm no expert so someone tell me I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that you need some %age more hate than whoever the mob is currently attacking before it will turn. That person still needs to take it easy after your taunt works so you can gain that lead required to turn the mob.

Noinim
05-29-2015, 11:42 AM
Top hate +1 is not enough to make them turn though is it? I'm no expert so someone tell me I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that you need some %age more hate than whoever the mob is currently attacking before it will turn. That person still needs to take it easy after your taunt works so you can gain that lead required to turn the mob.

This is the main reason. +1 is not enough to get the hate back. Generally a weapon swing or weapon proc follows which is why the taunt seems to work. This is how it has worked on Live for as long as I have been warrior-ing. I am not certain on how much hate extra is needed to turn the attention, but I believe its fairly small.

Kutsumo
05-29-2015, 11:44 AM
This is the main reason. +1 is not enough to get the hate back. Generally a weapon swing or weapon proc follows which is why the taunt seems to work. This is how it has worked on Live for as long as I have been warrior-ing. I am not certain on how much hate extra is needed to turn the attention, but I believe its fairly small.

Yeah I think it's only a few %. Can't remember where I read about it... Researched it at some point while trying to reduce my rate of ranger gates on raids.

Secrets
05-29-2015, 12:31 PM
I thought Taunt doesn't work on mobs above Level 50 in classic.

Noinim
05-29-2015, 01:10 PM
I thought Taunt doesn't work on mobs above Level 50 in classic.

Never known Taunt to be level capped, but I have no evidence otherwise.
Logically, it wouldn't make sense to cap it.

Lady Julae
05-29-2015, 01:49 PM
When in doubt, let the over-casting wizard die.

Deckk
05-29-2015, 01:54 PM
When in doubt, let the over-casting wizard die.

It's how I learned to play a wiz on live. Was my first character. I learned QUICK that if you overnuke/nuke too early you're mincemeat. Also learned not to run around like a chicken with my head cut off.

Always waited until mobs hit a certain % to hit my first nuke. Then monitored fight. If it was smooth, I waited until the HP bar was 40% and started unloading. Monitoring the bar and gauging agro... If the fight wasn't going as smooth, and wait a few seconds and hit the mob again and then wait to unload.

I was never afk as a wiz. I root CCed and all that jazz. Was laughs and good times.

kaev
05-29-2015, 02:20 PM
It's how I learned to play a wiz on live. Was my first character. I learned QUICK that if you overnuke/nuke too early you're mincemeat. Also learned not to run around like a chicken with my head cut off.

Always waited until mobs hit a certain % to hit my first nuke. Then monitored fight. If it was smooth, I waited until the HP bar was 40% and started unloading. Monitoring the bar and gauging agro... If the fight wasn't going as smooth, and wait a few seconds and hit the mob again and then wait to unload.

I was never afk as a wiz. I root CCed and all that jazz. Was laughs and good times.

But did you use your stuns to interrupt casters? I've grouped now and then with wizards on p99 and I've yet to see even one of them interrupt a CompleteHeal cast unless the mob was low enough health to drop it with a nuke.