PDA

View Full Version : When I am sitting down, and cast a spell, please make me automatically stand up.

dbouya
05-30-2015, 12:00 AM
It's classic and I'm literally damaging my wrist not having this!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxx

Eredhel
05-30-2015, 01:36 AM
You can make a hot key that does that. And you can get far more complex than that.

Viprous19
05-30-2015, 03:29 AM
Macro it,

/stand
/cast 1 to 8 (1 to 8 referring to your spell slot)

tizznyres
05-30-2015, 03:36 AM
Yeah this was a pretty annoying change. Even if technically classic or not for this period, it really just represents a needless step backwards in terms of quality-of-life features.

86753o9
05-30-2015, 04:34 AM
Quality of life isn't classic.

..as if caster weren't already lazy enough

Tankdan
05-30-2015, 05:01 AM
/sit off
/cast 1
/cast 1 (in case of fizzle)

drelk001
05-30-2015, 06:02 AM
not classic

drelk001
05-30-2015, 06:03 AM

I concur

Daldaen
05-30-2015, 07:07 AM
/sit off
/cast 1

This guy gets it.

/stand isn't classic. /sit off is!!!

And confirmed. Standing to cast isn't classic and makes the game easier. Having to do two keys to do something slows down the speed at which you can play. Or you can make hotkeys for casts but you need to have room for those hotkeys. If you're running with a classic single hot button box it's unlikely you have room unless you're tabbing between pages.

tizznyres
05-30-2015, 07:29 AM

There's plenty of quality-of-life features that aren't classic for the era. And lots of good casters spend ridiculous amounts of time and extra clicks spell swapping. Unnecessary tedium on top of tedium.

Champion_Standing
05-30-2015, 08:05 AM
would rather have spell sets, plzzzz Nilbog.

webrunner5
05-30-2015, 08:08 AM

Yeah, but when you are nearly dead and a Healer NEEDS to cast a heal on you, and forgets to stand, well hell I guess. :p Shits "Classic". :(

eqgmrdbz
05-30-2015, 08:50 AM
I've gotten used to it, i cant even remember how it used to be, so i dont care if it changes or not.

Swish
05-30-2015, 09:16 AM
It's classic and you'll like it.

jarshale
05-30-2015, 09:43 AM
It's not so bad to tap forward before hitting your spell.

Ele
05-30-2015, 10:33 AM
Please nerf blue duck interrupt. Be more like red.

kaev
05-30-2015, 11:14 AM
Yeah, but when you are nearly dead and a Healer NEEDS to cast a heal on you, and forgets to stand, well hell I guess. :p Shits "Classic". :(

Find a competent healer next time?

Jimjam
05-30-2015, 11:35 AM

TIL Clerics won't stand for bad tanks.

Daldaen
05-30-2015, 11:44 AM

This is also not classic. Getting out of sit or spell book you couldn't do by running forward in the classic client.

tristantio
05-30-2015, 12:39 PM

Shouldn't we be able to sit while casting on red? For med tick during cast?

Sadre Spinegnawer
05-30-2015, 01:06 PM

Probably the most concise definition of classic I've ever seen

Swish
05-30-2015, 01:17 PM

Catering for the coth duck cancel crowd, imagine the tears.

Cazlo
05-30-2015, 01:24 PM
I have sit/stand bound to Z, works fine and I don't find it tedious. You just have to find something and get used to it.

dbouya
05-30-2015, 04:26 PM
it's not tedius, it's just literally too many button presses to handle physically, for say a shaman. Since it's like 3button presses every 2seconds instead of 1or2... I guess the macro can bring it down to 1 though.

Thanks for the reminder on the macro hotkey, I vaguely remember having to use those back in 2001. Maybe that's why I thought it automatically worked. Maybe I used to be good and had just made the hotkey.

Although I could've sworn I was able to meditate in 2001 while casting elder spirit greeves, I might be misremembering that.

Lev_Mer
05-30-2015, 04:37 PM
u can med thru casts on red if you hit the spellbook icon with ur mouse not keyboard

Jaxon
05-30-2015, 05:47 PM
You forgot the most important part:
/sit off
/cast 1
/t Daldaen It's a pity something happened to this convenient mechanic.

kaev
05-30-2015, 05:49 PM

Oh those blue ducks and their interrupting ways! If it wasn't for you darned kids I'd have shotgunned the lot of them and gotten away with it too! :mad:

dbouya
05-30-2015, 05:58 PM
u can med thru casts on red if you hit the spellbook icon with ur mouse not keyboard

back in 2001 you could only meditate through spells cast by an item, and iirc only by using a macro? Or maybe that's just the only usage I personally used for it, might've been 2000-2001 both.

Jimjam
05-30-2015, 06:00 PM
I've found generally speaking buttons on the hot bar wouldn't work but buttons elsewhere, and sometimes typed commands, do.

Elad
05-30-2015, 08:10 PM
Pressing Ctrl+S isn't hard BUT....

There are many many times that my spell becomes interrupted when I stand up and cast a spell, using the Ctrl+S method.

This should not happen, yet it does?

Super annoying & possibly deadly.

Also, casters aren't lazy, we just sit around a lot because we HAVE TO.

Pokesan
05-30-2015, 08:29 PM

There are many many times that my spell becomes interrupted when I stand up and cast a spell, using the Ctrl+S method.

What's your move backwards key? default is S

waffel
05-30-2015, 08:31 PM

I'm in the habit of running, sitting, standing then casting. I do it in that order every time, yet occasionally I'll get interrupted.

Elad
05-30-2015, 08:31 PM
What's your move backwards key? default is S

Yes I figured someone would mention that.

However, my keyboard skills wouldn't allow me to make such a trivial mistake.

tizznyres
05-30-2015, 08:32 PM

Except that the server has a slight delay, made worse if your internet connection isn't perfect or you aren't in the USA. This tends to mean an interrupted spell after a fully completed spell cast if you don't allow 250ms or so after any movement for the server to sync. Most any experienced caster knows this.

Swish
05-30-2015, 08:34 PM
Turn slightly on the spot just before casting a spell, tends to stop the interrupt thing whatever your ping.

Elad
05-30-2015, 08:35 PM
Except that the server has a slight delay, made worse if your internet connection isn't perfect or you aren't in the USA. This tends to mean an interrupted spell after a fully completed spell cast if you don't allow 250ms or so after any movement for the server to sync. Most any experienced caster knows this.

This is a prime reason why it would be nice to auto cast a spell from sitting position.

There are so many things that aren't "classic" with eq1999, this one slight modification wouldn't be out of context; but alas it will probably never happen.

tizznyres
05-30-2015, 08:43 PM
This is a prime reason why it would be nice to auto cast a spell from sitting position.

There are so many things that aren't "classic" with eq1999, this one slight modification wouldn't be out of context; but alas it will probably never happen.

It auto-stood you for years, ever since I started P99 it was this way. Apparently someone provided proof or patch notes that it wasn't classic, which obviously means it's the only way. Don't we all love people in trade chat who refuse to link any items. By the way, velious UI will be "classic" soon. Can't wait for that!

dbouya
05-31-2015, 03:34 AM
I'm still not 100% sure that standing wasn't added in velious before luclin... but maybe it's true... I played all the way until GoD came out so it's hard for me to remember what's pre-luclin or post luclin.

One thing for sure though the server has about 200ms of hidden ping. Often causing you to cast at spell and then have your spell fail due to not having enough mana. Which was literally impossible on sony's servers. It used to make chasing down runners on p99 very hard because of this lag in hit box calculations but they patched the run speed of runners to be lower to compensate?

Standing is a slightly less critical server issue though for sure. Honestly I'd say it only matters at all to shamans.

kaev
05-31-2015, 12:50 PM
I use either a macro with /sit off or a sit/stand hotkey (from the ability window you toggle on/off with Alt+M) and have never had a spell interrupted after standing (unless a mob smacked me :P). Regardless your "keyboard skills", it's entirely possible that Ctrl+S moves your char a tiny bit and introduces the interrupt chance. Perfect code was never a goal of the EQ developers.

Tann
05-31-2015, 01:06 PM
One thing for sure though the server has about 200ms of hidden ping. Often causing you to cast at spell and then have your spell fail due to not having enough mana. Which was literally impossible on sony's servers

Pretty sure this is an issue with how the mana ticks are interpreted client side, its all wonky.

jarshale
05-31-2015, 01:07 PM

I see. Good thing that doesn't apply to me.

Jimjam
05-31-2015, 01:29 PM
I use either a macro with /sit off or a sit/stand hotkey (from the ability window you toggle on/off with Alt+M) and have never had a spell interrupted after standing (unless a mob smacked me :P). Regardless your "keyboard skills", it's entirely possible that Ctrl+S moves your char a tiny bit and introduces the interrupt chance. Perfect code was never a goal of the EQ developers.

exactly, if you are pressing ctrl+s then you are pressing s.

I suggest binding a different key to sit.