PDA

View Full Version : Shorter Variance - 4 hour suggestion?

Xerical
06-05-2015, 03:37 PM
Is there really any benefit to 16 hour variance vs. something like 4 hours? What is the gain that the GMs/server mods see in having such a long variance. I understand that variance is needed on this server because of the un-classic population types. But we've seen that every guild has people willing to sit in front of their screen's staring at a spawn for as many hours as it takes to get the dragon. There is already enough time-sinks in this game that get us to raiding (like camping pained soul for 24+ hours strait). Why not promote a healthier lifestyle by reducing the variance to something that still scatters target spawn windows and creates competition but doesn't kill the people in the process?

So far the only answer I have received from people against shorter variance is "No, I have time to sit here and I want my DKP"... /facepalm

Swish
06-05-2015, 03:41 PM
They won't change it now, I'd like to see how Velious evolves in terms of what gets left a bit longer in Kunark etc... probably no change.

Is that a quote from a BDA raider? Sounds about right.

Sadre Spinegnawer
06-05-2015, 03:50 PM
Gonna be fun watching the population boom from the past several months get to the raid scene level. I highly recommend diligent use of the search function. p99 raid scene is like a beautiful woman, who you romance after a long grind, and then you take her home, and you get undressed, and you realize, all of her internal organs are on the outside of the body and the clothing was there to keep them from flopping all over the place.

And yet you still do it. Because pixels.

Xerical
06-05-2015, 03:56 PM
They won't change it now, I'd like to see how Velious evolves in terms of what gets left a bit longer in Kunark etc... probably no change.

Is that a quote from a BDA raider? Sounds about right.

Just complaining that change won't come doesn't help anything. I think the GMs have been willing to make changes in the past based on the majority. What would help is actually hearing why people think this long of variance is helpful to anything. If it isn't, then just throw your vote in to help get it changed. It's not like were asking to change something that was classic to not classic...

Swish
06-05-2015, 04:00 PM
I think the problem is whatever you change, some portion of the server isn't happy...red wants variance in, blue wants variance out.

Some want rotations, some want FTE fests and extended poopsock sessions.

Some want cats on the moon, others want to cherry pick some parts of later expansions but not have the bazaar, maybe just the Luclin AAs.

Daldaen
06-05-2015, 04:26 PM
Put it down to +/- 30 minutes.

Create a rule that limits guilds to having two players in zone. We already have a 2 trackers in zone, just change it to players in zone so we don't have 200 people sitting online.

When it pops people will no doubt log in or zone over. You would see far more guilds getting raid targets if you do this in Class R. And you would see more guilds jump from Class R to Class C because of the change.

Swish
06-05-2015, 04:27 PM
Put it up to 24 hours, pop times still too weighted to US guilds ;)

Sadre Spinegnawer
06-07-2015, 05:30 PM
Put it up to 24 hours, pop times still too weighted to US guilds ;)

This needs to change ~la