PDA

View Full Version : It's been good, so long p99!

Talgurin
06-09-2015, 05:46 PM
Been a bit more reckless than usual lately, maybe growing tired of EQ subconsciously and desiring to move on, but I did something I only ever did once before which was hop on my other account to, in my belief at the time, very quickly transfer an item. That's all it took to get immediately detected as a boxer and banned within moments. But that's that, been here since P99 launched, faithfully promoting the server and donating for years. However, now it's time to move on. I really hope that other games in the future can be made with the same level of challenge and community as classic EQ. Until I find a game that even comes remotely close to that, perhaps I'll be focusing more on non-gaming related things.

RIP: Wyndso, Vestige, Talgurin, and many other alts

Champion_Standing
06-09-2015, 05:48 PM
RIP

shoulda just came clean and you prob woulda got suspended. How far did you make em go with the boxing test?

Talgurin
06-09-2015, 05:49 PM
I said "Guilty as charged, nothing to test, I was transferring an item" and then I started disconnecting.

Swish
06-09-2015, 05:49 PM
It wasn't a drop transfer then? Rules are rules, and apply to us all... banned forever or suspended?

Sad to see an old veteran leaving like that. Good luck with wherever you're headed next <3

Lune
06-09-2015, 05:50 PM
There's a good chance he was only suspended but just doesn't know that. It says you're banned whether you are banned or suspended.

B4EQWASCOOL
06-09-2015, 05:50 PM
Its so hard not to box. Just.. can't... Help... It...

Talgurin
06-09-2015, 05:52 PM
I suppose it's possible i was suspended and not banned. Honestly I didn't know there was a difference.

Swish
06-09-2015, 05:53 PM
It'll say "banned" on the server select screen but it won't always mean it. I wonder how many players we've lost to that sometimes.

http://i.imgur.com/qOeVUQB.png

(I got a suspension for making a character called Robinwilliamss or some variation and corpsing it at the EC tunnel after he died, apparently a "RL friend" of Robin Williams plays P99 and was offended - Derubael swung the hammer... nobody said a word when I did it for Whitney Houston, apparently nobody cared about her)

Also a fun fact, if you're banned/suspended on blue, you're also banned/suspended on red... so always a good idea to make a new account for different characters AND servers.

Talgurin
06-09-2015, 05:57 PM
The Robinwilliams prank is a pretty epic way to get suspended. Now when I tried to login I got a message but I didn't read it. I just thought "Fuck it, my account's over, time to say goodbye". I'll go log back in again and read if it says banned or not.

Swish
06-09-2015, 05:58 PM
The Robinwilliams prank is a pretty epic way to get suspended. Now when I tried to login I got a message but I didn't read it. I just thought "Fuck it, my account's over, time to say goodbye". I'll go log back in again and read if it says banned or not.

It might be a week's suspension or something, keep checking back.

Talgurin
06-09-2015, 06:00 PM
Yes it says suspended, not banned. So indeed my days in Norrath may not be over. It's true if I hadn't made this thread I would have assumed it was banned and never tried to login again.

Champion_Standing
06-09-2015, 06:02 PM
Pretty sure first offense just loses your exemptions and you get a 30 day suspension. There is a long discussion about it on one of Sirkens more recent streams.

Talgurin
06-09-2015, 06:05 PM
The irony is I'm a huge advocate against boxing. I made some discussions about this on the Eq FB groups as Ragefire on Live turned into a total crap fest with 5 box mages owning all of the content. I did it this time because I'm currently in a strange city in the Balkans and my internet randomly goes out, often while logging or zoning I will disconnect. So I didn't want to risk a bag of my goods lying around if that happened. So I'm like "Yeah I'll just play with fire this once", hahaha great idea.

maurilax
06-09-2015, 06:10 PM
you are much better off 'playing with fire' by giving the bag to anyone with a guild tag in EC. at least if you get burned you only lose the items and not the account.

Maelstrom
06-09-2015, 07:07 PM
Sorry to hear it, glad it's only a suspension. You need to find a place to do a drop bag transfer.

I drop xfer in Neriak, but plenty of rooms to do it in Freeport too.

Everyone is too busy in EC or trying to level, they aren't hiding in rooms waiting for people to drop a bag. It's perfectly safe.

Swish
06-09-2015, 07:24 PM
I'd rather do it in North Ro or a quiet building in Freeport/Neriak... but each to his own.

Vexenu
06-09-2015, 07:33 PM
Everyone is too busy in EC or trying to level, they aren't hiding in rooms waiting for people to drop a bag.

Speak for yourself. This is my preferred playstyle.

Crawdad
06-09-2015, 07:39 PM
you are much better off 'playing with fire' by giving the bag to anyone with a guild tag in EC. at least if you get burned you only lose the items and not the account.

Bottom of the lake in WC.

wormed
06-09-2015, 07:42 PM
I don't think I've ever asked anyone to transfer for me. Drop transfers all day!!!

Madbad
06-09-2015, 07:46 PM
I too like to live dangerously.

Lev_Mer
06-09-2015, 07:59 PM
Yes it says suspended, not banned. So indeed my days in Norrath may not be over. It's true if I hadn't made this thread I would have assumed it was banned and never tried to login again.

yes it will distinctly tell you a suspension or ban, at least... thats more than the GM's do before disconnecting you.. which makes more work for the forum staff to look it up... i mean, the GM knows the decision so just say "you are suspended XX for XX" /boom

anyway enjoy the sun!

Samoht
06-09-2015, 08:45 PM

Just don't ask Shadowshrek (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195348) to do it for you.

Swish
06-09-2015, 08:48 PM
yes it will distinctly tell you a suspension or ban, at least... thats more than the GM's do before disconnecting you..

Shit's changed since Amelinda suspended me for a bad surname then (early 2011). It said banned, but 2 days later (after petitioning on the forums as to why I'd been banned and getting no reply) I could magically log in again.

Glad I kept checking.

Pipip
06-09-2015, 11:05 PM
Question: I wanted to create a second account, because I have all slots filled on both servers. There are still race/class combinations I want to try. I have no desire to box. How long do I have to wait between switching accounts so that I don't get flagged for boxing? Do I have to register somewhere as having two accounts from the same IP, even though they won't be logged on at the same time?

Buellen
06-09-2015, 11:52 PM
This question was asked before. 8) just log completely out form one count before logging into next. DO NOT log out to just character select then log in to another account. it has to be complete out closing eq game then restarting to log in new account.

Bboboo
06-10-2015, 12:02 AM
V

Bboboo
06-10-2015, 12:06 AM
Question: I wanted to create a second account, because I have all slots filled on both servers. There are still race/class combinations I want to try. I have no desire to box. How long do I have to wait between switching accounts so that I don't get flagged for boxing? Do I have to register somewhere as having two accounts from the same IP, even though they won't be logged on at the same time?

/camp server to be completely logged out

Actually I might be wrong on that. You can have as many accounts as you wish, you just need to be 1 person and 1 logged in client per server (red/blue).

Pipip
06-10-2015, 01:18 AM
ty all

Voland
06-10-2015, 02:10 AM
This question was asked before. 8) just log completely out form one count before logging into next. DO NOT log out to just character select then log in to another account. it has to be complete out closing eq game then restarting to log in new account.

Really? I thought it was sufficient to return to login screen and relog.

Llodd
06-10-2015, 04:54 AM
Damn, you got so close to getting your life back.

dalaimoc
06-10-2015, 05:09 AM
Always use "Sloth's Safe Item Transfers"

Slothbynature Lazybutt (Blackheart Pirates), Druid
Beerkeg Barrelson, Cleric
Stinkypoo, Shadowknight

Talgurin
06-10-2015, 09:20 AM
Damn, you got so close to getting your life back.

Bahahaha.

dafier
06-10-2015, 09:35 AM
So...theoretically this happens:

Robin Williams walks up (random character in game) to me and says "Hey, Master of the Universe, could you give this item to my other char? It's a transfer."

I say, "Why yes sir, but I am not liable for lost items."

He says, "OK. The other chars name is Christopher Reeves", then hands the item(s) to me. Logs out, logs in with CR and I give the items to CR.

Am I in trouble or is he, or are both of us?

Jimjam
06-10-2015, 09:38 AM
Are you suggesting this is how people execute RMT transfers?

Launder expensive goods through innocent, unrelated newbs?

Otherwise why would you get in trouble for helping someone transfer their items?

GreldorEQ
06-10-2015, 09:38 AM
The lack of shared banks despite the use of the titanium client is the single dumbest "shit's classic" thing we have going on here.

B4EQWASCOOL
06-10-2015, 09:41 AM
So dumb, in fact, that the game has been going on for years without it.

Whirled
06-10-2015, 09:57 AM
The lack of shared banks despite the use of the titanium client is the single dumbest "shit's classic" thing we have going on here.

One would think with the implementation of the shared bank that they could more easily keep the eye on such activities due to the items being pushed thru these specific spots. /boggle

Daldaen
06-10-2015, 09:59 AM

Would love Shared Banks if it meant we got Luclin and PoP (praise be upon their names).

Plus Shared Bank doesn't help if you have multiple accounts. And I know MANY people here have a different account for every character they have. Because free and it lets them have other people log in their porter or rezzer to help themselves.

dafier
06-10-2015, 10:02 AM
Would love Shared Banks if it meant we got Luclin and PoP (praise be upon their names).

Plus Shared Bank doesn't help if you have multiple accounts. And I know MANY people here have a different account for every character they have. Because free and it lets them have other people log in their porter or rezzer to help themselves.

It's classic. :) HA!

Samoht
06-10-2015, 10:02 AM
You guys do know that shared bank was a massive flaw that was easily abused by MQ2, right? It would open all sorts of cans of worms on this server.

BTW, it was introduced with LoY, not SoL or PoP.

Whirled
06-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Care to elaborate?
sharing is caring ya know...

Daldaen
06-10-2015, 10:08 AM
You guys do know that shared bank was a massive flaw that was easily abused by MQ2, right? It would open all sorts of cans of worms on this server.

I'm well aware of when it was introduced.

The reason I cite those expansions, is because people who despise them quite often cite the source of their hatred as the easy travel (scions and books) and bazaar, which reduced player interaction (which is some BS cause the interaction involved in porting or selling someone something isn't anything at all).

Yet these same individuals cry about the lack of shared bank making twinkling their Alts more tedious.

Plus Luclin/PoP were the best two expansions EQ had.

Samoht
06-10-2015, 10:09 AM
Care to elaborate?
sharing is caring ya know...

Let's start with duping and transferring no drop items.

dafier
06-10-2015, 10:11 AM

Don't recall MQ2 thing, because I didn't know about it at the time, but you hit the nail on the head with the LoY reference.

Whirled
06-10-2015, 10:13 AM
Let's start with duping and transferring no drop items.

..and some already did that on this server without shared bank slots.

Shared banks for all 2015

Samoht
06-10-2015, 10:19 AM
Somebody already did it so let's enable them to do it some more?

No.

dafier
06-10-2015, 10:21 AM
Plus Luclin/PoP were the best two expansions EQ had.

Sorry, I believe I posted this before, but my thoughts are the exact same as yours. PoP was the last awesome expansion for EQ imo.

LOVED Luclin too. What was that beast ...umm where there was a water (dock) town in zone? It was like level 65 or something and it dropped like nothing. lol! Looked like a big horny toad. I am referring to Luclin.

Whirled
06-10-2015, 10:23 AM
Not what I said or mean.
If all the people that duped before were caught ...then why not allow them the rope to hang themselves is what I was hinting towards.... not a trap but enough to let the cheaters get comfortable & poof all the proof and more is right there.

myriverse
06-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Its so hard not to box. Just.. can't... Help... It...
Nah. Really easy not to box. Just... don't... do... it.

Don't even consider it an option... even if they allowed it.

B4EQWASCOOL
06-10-2015, 10:56 AM
Nah. Really easy not to box. Just... don't... do... it.

Don't even consider it an option... even if they allowed it.

Too hard. Can't help it.

tristantio
06-10-2015, 11:01 AM
Always drop transfer, its much safer to depend on the server/ISP connection than someone else's greed.

If someone offers to transfer and simply keeps the items, you have no recourse (you can try to convince them to give you the items back - that'll never happen. You can petition and potentially get them banned, but you're still out the items).

Mulek
06-10-2015, 11:44 AM
I transfer high value items with guildmates. There's no way I would ever trust drop trading.

Buellen
06-10-2015, 07:15 PM
Really? I thought it was sufficient to return to login screen and relog.

As i understand it from a previous post not closing game while on a IP exemption(i.e. staying at characters select) can leave a ghost of your toon as it may take a upto a min or two for the fist toon to disappear from server. This MAY flag you as 2 boxing if you log in second account quickly.

TxRanjahs
06-11-2015, 01:31 AM
Rules apply to everyone man. ANd lets be honest something you've "NEVER" did before? Cmon son WE know u have been doing beast shit in the past with your exemption lol just finally got caught

stavio
06-11-2015, 01:49 AM
I did something I only ever did once before which was hop on my other account to, in my belief at the time, very quickly transfer an item. That's all it took to get immediately detected as a boxer and banned within moments.

Praise P1999! I love this server

cormag
06-11-2015, 12:05 PM
Always drop transfer, its much safer to depend on the server/ISP connection than someone else's greed.

If someone offers to transfer and simply keeps the items, you have no recourse (you can try to convince them to give you the items back - that'll never happen. You can petition and potentially get them banned, but you're still out the items).

I drop transferred a fungi and an iksar BP this past week nbd.

Kowalski
06-11-2015, 12:17 PM
I think that there is already an "unsaid" rule, for those of us that know better, that if you happen upon someone's obvious DROP XFER then pick it up and wait there for as long you can, or at least POST IT IN A LOST AND FOUND section of the forum.
I only ever had 1 person ever pickup one of my drops and was cool enough to wait in place and give it to my other /char. My thanks out to the druid that picked up my stuff in the hut in N. Ro a while back :)

Great community

zanderklocke
06-11-2015, 12:46 PM

How can you say this after what you just went through?

Lady Julae
06-11-2015, 01:08 PM
I think that there is already an "unsaid" rule, for those of us that know better, that if you happen upon someone's obvious DROP XFER then pick it up and wait there for as long you can, or at least POST IT IN A LOST AND FOUND section of the forum.
I only ever had 1 person ever pickup one of my drops and was cool enough to wait in place and give it to my other /char. My thanks out to the druid that picked up my stuff in the hut in N. Ro a while back :)

Great community

That was probably me. I do that all the time for people, as I know how much it hurts to lose drop transfers to thieves.

tristantio
06-11-2015, 02:02 PM
How can you say this after what you just went through?

I'm saying I'd much rather drop transfer in the future (and rely on technology) than rely on someone else giving me the items and not stealing them (as that's what happened to me recently).

Obviously, trusting a close friend is best, but if none are available, I'd always go with drop transfer over trading to a stranger from here on out.

Maybe you misread the thread and thought someone stole my drop transferred items? (I had given items to a player for purpose of trade, the player then chose to keep the items).