PDA

View Full Version : Ragefire kinda ruined p99(and eq) for me

Roth
06-09-2015, 08:24 PM
So I've been playing on ragefire a bit since it released cause it's really interesting to have a new server. It feels "relevant" subconsciously... part of me knows that this server is gonna progress and it's current and what I do there matters, where as on p99 I'm always in locked content and behind 5 years.

However, the longer I play there the more I just feel bad and negative towards eq in general. The community is toxic and selfish. The game feels modern and standardized and no individual player matters. Everything is easy and feels watered down. It has a weird feeling to it and it's really ruining the experience for me the more I play it.

At the same time, it's kinda ruined p99 for me because p99 feels "old" now like it's no longer relevant. Why do corpse runs and play through slower exp when I can go on ragefire and have everything easy mode? Overall, I wish I hadn't tried the tlp servers because they have turned me off of eq as a brand.

jarshale
06-09-2015, 08:27 PM
Some people are casuals, it's okay OP.

Fame
06-09-2015, 08:29 PM
dat first world yo

Swish
06-09-2015, 08:40 PM
As far as the community being "toxic and selfish", there's always that side to the game and to some of the people out there. Some people want to farm plat, lots of plat. That's very important to them and they'll shit on anyone who tries to interfere... when an XP group shows up in Chardok AOE, do you think they get a warm reception? Not on the times I've been in.

I'd stick within your guild circle, XP with your pals, do fun things. I've only got 60k plat to my name, 20k of it (+5k of Zander's) is going towards the not classic giveaway. That's where I draw the line, I don't want to sit down and farm 500k plat because my SK needs an epic MQ because my guild doesn't do a lot of Cazic Thule etc. I'd get 500k and probably be miserable and hating the game ;)

Just log on, enjoy your session and take the positives. There's always the forum if you're feeling disgruntled or have some thoughts on the server :)

http://www.entrepreneur.com/dbimages/blog/h1/stay-positive.jpg

PS - I've watched Tidomann on the Progression server off and on, and it's a great stream but I'm just not convinced I could enjoy all the notclassic.gif things that go on over there - stacking 4 earth elemental pets on a hard mob to kill it etc.

Stay positive OP ;)

Roth
06-09-2015, 08:46 PM
As far as the community being "toxic and selfish", there's always that side to the game and to some of the people out there. Some people want to farm plat, lots of plat. That's very important to them and they'll shit on anyone who tries to interfere... when an XP group shows up in Chardok AOE, do you think they get a warm reception? Not on the times I've been in.

I'd stick within your guild circle, XP with your pals, do fun things. I've only got 60k plat to my name, 20k of it (+5k of Zander's) is going towards the not classic giveaway. That's where I draw the line, I don't want to sit down and farm 500k plat because my SK needs an epic MQ because my guild doesn't do a lot of Cazic Thule etc. I'd get 500k and probably be miserable and hating the game ;)

Just log on, enjoy your session and take the positives. There's always the forum if you're feeling disgruntled or have some thoughts on the server :)

http://www.entrepreneur.com/dbimages/blog/h1/stay-positive.jpg

PS - I've watched Tidomann on the Progression server off and on, and it's a great stream but I'm just not convinced I could enjoy all the notclassic.gif things that go on over there - stacking 4 earth elemental pets on a hard mob to kill it etc.

Stay positive OP ;)

Sorry I should clarify, p99 is not toxic, the community is good here. It's ragefire that's toxic. What I meant was when you play through the game on easy mode it kinda ruins the sense of accomplishment that I liked on p99.

Tahlvin
06-09-2015, 08:47 PM
Why do corpse runs and play through slower exp when I can go on ragefire and have everything easy mode?

That's actually the whole reason to play here in my opinion. I wanted a CLASSIC EverQuest experience. If I wanted a new, updated and "easier" EverQuest experience I would be on Ragefire.

Everyone has different tastes. Do what you find fun!

Swish
06-09-2015, 08:52 PM
Sorry I should clarify, p99 is not toxic, the community is good here. It's ragefire that's toxic. What I meant was when you play through the game on easy mode it kinda ruins the sense of accomplishment that I liked on p99.

You could apply it to p99 too, in some ways.

Instanced content is one of the worst ways to make people feel like they're leveling with complete stranger they've never seen, whose names don't matter and aren't worth remembering, etc.

I'm amazed so many people play mmorpgs with millions of others yet often do a lot of it by themselves or by not talking with the strangers they're playing with. What's the point of online gaming if you want to play totally solo without any interaction?

The 1-60 journey on P99 is a great thing, a real gaming treasure.

B4EQWASCOOL
06-09-2015, 09:07 PM
Play a game with friends. Find a static group.

Waedawen
06-09-2015, 09:25 PM
Why do corpse runs and play through slower exp when I can go on ragefire and have everything easy mode?

Because you're looking for EQ to satisfy some deep-seated psychological desire and it simply is not going to do that. You're supposed to do them because you enjoy them and you enjoy the process. If you're looking for some kind of greater achievement from all of that, you simply aren't going to find it.

"Easy mode" isn't going to help you there.

loramin
06-09-2015, 10:29 PM
You're supposed to do them because you enjoy them and you enjoy the process.

Wait, who enjoys corpse runs and slow XP? They're both miserable.

In fact, that misery is what makes P99 fun: anytime you do anything without dying (especially leveling up), you genuinely feel like you've accomplished something. And that's what's missing on Live: it has all the same rewards, but without the avoided misery those rewards are hollow.

You might just be tired of EQ, and if that's the case you just need a break. But if you're not tired of EQ, and you're just spoiled by live, then the solution is to go accomplish something on P99 that is hard/meaningful. In other words, don't just get some pixels, get some pixels while avoiding misery.

To me, that's where the real fun of EQ is.

Coridan
06-10-2015, 01:23 AM
You could apply it to p99 too, in some ways.

Instanced content is one of the worst ways to make people feel like they're leveling with complete stranger they've never seen, whose names don't matter and aren't worth remembering, etc.

I'm amazed so many people play mmorpgs with millions of others yet often do a lot of it by themselves or by not talking with the strangers they're playing with. What's the point of online gaming if you want to play totally solo without any interaction?

The 1-60 journey on P99 is a great thing, a real gaming treasure.

So much of this ^^^^

Modern MMOs all think downtime is the big boogeyman. In reality it's where you get to know and chat with the people you're grouped with. That's what creates the connections. Only way to do that in modern MMOs is through guilding, but why bother joining a guild when you can solo to end game? I have 8 (8!) level 50+ characters in SWTOR, and barely did any grouping at all. One character I duo'd with a friend from my Live days lol.

I think the next revolution in MMORPGs is something EQNext could have done and was working on the technology for, but I am betting they changed directions. EQEmote + Voice modification/mouth synching. The next good MMO is going to be a sandbox where you actually speak as your character and your facial movements are mapped to your character's face. Everyone would go back to playing first person (maybe with oculus rift-like technology) and people might actually hang out in the bars in the cities and stuff lol. We're not there yet, but an MMO in or starting development now could get there.

myriverse
06-10-2015, 06:45 AM
Some people are casuals, it's okay OP.
As a casual, I protest lumping me with this guy.

P99 Forever!

Jimjam
06-10-2015, 06:50 AM
OP, Can I have your stuff?

Lorian
06-10-2015, 06:56 AM
You could try p2002, slightly easier due to PoK books and some newer zones (eventually), although it is quite dated in terms of UI and graphics.

Sorkail
06-10-2015, 08:43 AM
That's actually the whole reason to play here in my opinion. I wanted a CLASSIC EverQuest experience. If I wanted a new, updated and "easier" EverQuest experience I would be on Ragefire.

Everyone has different tastes. Do what you find fun!

Wow. I was pretty surprised to read something other than "no only p99 anything else and you suck as a person flameflameflame". Good words Tahlvin! I agree. Have fun, whether that's on this server or elsewhere.

Dillian
06-10-2015, 08:49 AM
i tried ragefire just becuase i have a all access pass for planetside. It is crap. total crap. For one thing the newer zones are a turn off. and instead of fixing npcs, they just take them out of the game. There are a few in rivervale i know of. I didnt go much further into the server because i was highly disappointed

Sixpence
06-10-2015, 09:14 AM
I also tried Ragefire (still on it atm).

Convinced some old guildmates to try it as I hoped that if they liked it enough they'd eventually join me on P.99.
I must admit, I love the fact we're playing together again as a static group of friends & that there really is little downtime, but I can see the horizon looming already with boredom.
It just isn't a challenge. It's EQ Lite & while that's nice in a sense, if you've only got a few hours here & there, there is no longevity.
I can hold my own, solo against Two Yellow Con's wearing a mix of Leather & Banded wielding a Bronze 2-hander. We all know that Trolls are clearly the master race, but that shouldn't happen.

Hopeful that they see the light also & knock it on the head soon & join me back here.

Man0warr
06-10-2015, 10:42 AM

No one. Which is why it makes you value not dying much more highly and makes people play better.

In WoW or any modern MMO, dying doesn't mean jack shit.

B4EQWASCOOL
06-10-2015, 10:45 AM
Earned>Given

Lady Julae
06-10-2015, 10:46 AM
. . .However, the longer I play there the more I just feel bad and negative towards eq in general. The community is toxic and selfish. . .

. . .Why do corpse runs and play through slower exp when I can go on ragefire and have everything easy mode? Overall, I wish I hadn't tried the tlp servers because they have turned me off of eq as a brand.

You realize easy mode is what made the MMO communities in general "toxic and selfish," by encouraging self reliance and instant gratification yes?

Lady Julae
06-10-2015, 10:53 AM
. . . Everyone would go back to playing first person. . .

Oh God, I hope not. I do not feel immersed in RP unless I am in 3rd Person. What's the point of character creation is you never see your character? If in real life I could separate my soul from my body so that I could see myself interact with the world, I'd do it.

wormed
06-10-2015, 11:33 AM
Paid for a month of premium to try the server. I cancelled that sub within 30 minutes of trying TLP. Live EQ is just so bad. Just had no magic to it.

Ah well.

B4EQWASCOOL
06-10-2015, 11:50 AM
30 minutes is quick 8)

Mycota648
06-10-2015, 12:02 PM
I love P99, im a casual player only playing a few hours a month. I tried Ragefire for about 5 min. The nasty immature crap in general chat turned me off so bad I logged off and got back on P99.

The reason I love P99 is because the difficulty and need to group bring the community closer together and keeps them friendly more or less. especially compaired to anything on live. Its all about the people you play with to me and I dont mean just the ones you group with but even the stuff you see in /ooc or general chat and the people you randomly encounter. :D

I love P99 hopefully one day I will have the time to play regularly again as I did in the "old days" of live

Mulek
06-10-2015, 12:03 PM
I think what people playing ragefire/lockjaw don't get is that it takes more than just starting over to feel classic. There are so many classic mechanics that are simply gone and without those, you're not playing a classic game.

There's a difference between playing classic and playing old content.

Destron
06-10-2015, 12:25 PM
You could try p2002, slightly easier due to PoK books and some newer zones (eventually), although it is quite dated in terms of UI and graphics.

Shun this man.

PDX0621
06-10-2015, 12:44 PM

Excellent post. This is the biggest reason I came back and still play P1999. I leveled to nearly 70 as a solo Pally on EQ2. Had a bunch of high level characters in SWG. Had a 70 warrior I solo'd in WoW. A warrior! Solo! Had several high 60's characters in Age of Conan that not only solo'd, but only ran into a few other players in my entire time there, which was sad. I think Age of Conan had some of the best graphics/gameplay/potential of any MMORPG I've ever played, but no one ever grouped since there was no real need to.

I've found some of this in P1999, but nowhere near as bad as other MMO's. I'd LOVE to play my warrior/rogue more, but so many people duo/solo or only group in specific zones. Heck, I think my necro would be a kick in the head and useful in many groups also, but I've yet to find any willing to invite me. My chief complaint about P1999 is the vast majority of people would rather camp out in MM or the like spamming LFG rather than grouping up for Dalnir, Kaesora (LOVE IT), Sol A, etc. Get out there! Group! Try and see new zones!

/ramble off.

wormed
06-10-2015, 01:02 PM
Excellent post. This is the biggest reason I came back and still play P1999. I leveled to nearly 70 as a solo Pally on EQ2. Had a bunch of high level characters in SWG. Had a 70 warrior I solo'd in WoW. A warrior! Solo! Had several high 60's characters in Age of Conan that not only solo'd, but only ran into a few other players in my entire time there, which was sad. I think Age of Conan had some of the best graphics/gameplay/potential of any MMORPG I've ever played, but no one ever grouped since there was no real need to.

I've found some of this in P1999, but nowhere near as bad as other MMO's. I'd LOVE to play my warrior/rogue more, but so many people duo/solo or only group in specific zones. Heck, I think my necro would be a kick in the head and useful in many groups also, but I've yet to find any willing to invite me. My chief complaint about P1999 is the vast majority of people would rather camp out in MM or the like spamming LFG rather than grouping up for Dalnir, Kaesora (LOVE IT), Sol A, etc. Get out there! Group! Try and see new zones!

/ramble off.

AoC was absolutely ruined by Funcom off the get go. Horrible buggy release tainted it for a long time. I agree, however, that is really had potential. The game itself is pretty decent nowadays but it just isn't worth it any more. Funcom is so full of fail.

Swish
06-10-2015, 01:12 PM
AoC was absolutely ruined by Funcom off the get go. Horrible buggy release tainted it for a long time. I agree, however, that is really had potential. The game itself is pretty decent nowadays but it just isn't worth it any more. Funcom is so full of fail.

I logged into Age of Conan, had all kinds of graphical bugs. The game didn't really seem finished.

I logged out and let my free play time expire :/

PDX0621
06-10-2015, 01:18 PM

Great game, and absolutely loved the unique classes. It was sad though, seeing the amazingly rendered and intricate zones completely devoid of people. Would definitely play if there were ever a private server for it though.

Coridan
06-10-2015, 01:19 PM
Oh God, I hope not. I do not feel immersed in RP unless I am in 3rd Person. What's the point of character creation is you never see your character? If in real life I could separate my soul from my body so that I could see myself interact with the world, I'd do it.

When you are using an oculus rift and can identify characters by their facial features instead of names floating over their heads, first person will be the most immersive experience of all time. Put a mirror in your house lol.

I loved EQ2, and enjoyed playing in progression guilds where everyone locked xp and progressed through content together. I rafequit when they started giving people free high level characters

PDX0621
06-10-2015, 01:20 PM
I logged into Age of Conan, had all kinds of graphical bugs. The game didn't really seem finished.

It was messed up for a long time. It's worth checking out just to look at the landscape of some of the zones if you ask me. I haven't played since I started P99 but I did play AoC off and on for a couple years. I think wasted potential would be the best way to describe it.

myriverse
06-10-2015, 01:22 PM
Meh. Don't blame instancing for people's lack of social skills. City of Heroes had at least as good of a community, and it was completely instanced.

curtischoy
06-10-2015, 01:38 PM
When you are using an oculus rift and can identify characters by their facial features instead of names floating over their heads, first person will be the most immersive experience of all time.

On live I always shut off all names while I raided with my guild to increase visibility and I could always pick out every single person Just by how their character looked. Not sure if immersion or I just really needed to spend some time outside.

baakss
06-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Lockjaw community actually seems decent. Way better than the p99 raiding community at least. The new zones arent too horrendous.

Lady Julae
06-10-2015, 03:53 PM
When you are using an oculus rift and can identify characters by their facial features instead of names floating over their heads, first person will be the most immersive experience of all time. Put a mirror in your house lol.

I loved EQ2, and enjoyed playing in progression guilds where everyone locked xp and progressed through content together. I rafequit when they started giving people free high level characters

Will Oculus Rift work for people with only one functioning eye?

Lady Julae
06-10-2015, 03:54 PM
Meh. Don't blame instancing for people's lack of social skills. City of Heroes Virtue Server had at least as good of a community, and it was completely instanced.

Fixed.

Sadre Spinegnawer
06-10-2015, 04:53 PM
So I've been playing on ragefire a bit since it released cause it's really interesting to have a new server. It feels "relevant" subconsciously... part of me knows that this server is gonna progress and it's current and what I do there matters, where as on p99 I'm always in locked content and behind 5 years.

However, the longer I play there the more I just feel bad and negative towards eq in general. The community is toxic and selfish. The game feels modern and standardized and no individual player matters. Everything is easy and feels watered down. It has a weird feeling to it and it's really ruining the experience for me the more I play it.

At the same time, it's kinda ruined p99 for me because p99 feels "old" now like it's no longer relevant. Why do corpse runs and play through slower exp when I can go on ragefire and have everything easy mode? Overall, I wish I hadn't tried the tlp servers because they have turned me off of eq as a brand.

try thinking of modern games as linear, where the point is to "progress" and race to content. And yes, you get "left behind" if you don't play that way.

Now try to imagine, that isn't really necessary on p99, or on other emu's. You can race, if you want, but you can also just play in a rather large world, and define how *you* want to play in it. Your gear will not become obsolete largely, you can take as long as you want to attain goals, the same gameworld will be here next year.

It's a place to hang out and play. Ragefire blinded you to thinking gaming = racing. But p99 is only a race when and if you want it to be.

You do realize, there are players on the server focusing on buying and making and selling food right?

p99 is freedom. Ragefire tried to put you back in the old chains. Just chill and hang out, leave and come back. It's a free server.

Champion_Standing
06-10-2015, 05:47 PM

AoC was a lot of fun, no idea how it is now. FoH was there near release and we would cause so much chaos in this pvpable city zone that every big guild would show up to lock us in on the spawn point.

No idea how the PvE is cuz we all just cheated like scum and AFK PLed ourselves to max lvl in our guild castle zone thing.

Mulek
06-10-2015, 06:18 PM
AoC was a lot of fun, no idea how it is now. FoH was there near release and we would cause so much chaos in this pvpable city zone that every big guild would show up to lock us in on the spawn point.

No idea how the PvE is cuz we all just cheated like scum and AFK PLed ourselves to max lvl in our guild castle zone thing.

Are was fun until level 20 or so and then it went downhill from there.

Littlestgnome
06-10-2015, 06:44 PM

In fact, that misery is what makes P99 fun: anytime you do anything without dying (especially leveling up), you genuinely feel like you've accomplished something. And that's what's missing on Live: it has all the same rewards, but without the avoided misery those rewards are hollow.

Pretty solid explanation really. I'm not the least bit "happy" that it's taking me upwards of a week to plod through level 51, especially after how truly spoiled we all were with the recent double-XP weekend.

Having said that however, I have always believed the game as a whole is infinitely more healthy by having slow XP gains for players as is a game that legitimately punishes players for suffering defeat and/or making bad decisions.

Hardship -- or at the very least the threat of hardship -- is frequently what leads to memorability. If there's no sense of potential failure and/or no penalty associated with failure, there's almost never a sense of pride in the victory. If it doesn't feel as though something is being earned, there's usually not a lot of pleasure associated with grabbing the reward either (outside of the immediate, that is).

lurok1
06-10-2015, 07:02 PM
Red 99 is a good compromise if you like to level fast but still want an og eq experience.

HallyVee
06-10-2015, 09:58 PM
I assume I'd feel the same. If I could handle easy mode and disregard immersion, I'd keep playing WoW.

Although there is another factor; combat duration. This was my initial impetus to depart WoW and seek out other games. I got sick of feeling like Conan the Barbarian, mowing through hordes.