PDA

View Full Version : Race Stat Help - Wood Elf Warrior

toffty
10-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Been away form EQ for the last 9 years and I'd like some help choosing the right stats for my desired class/race combo: woof elf warrior. (This is the class/race combo i played at release and would like to do it again)

Yeah i'm crazy, what you gonna' do about it?

After doing some reading on the forum, people meantioned Dex being helpful with warrior aggro so I set my stats at 80/75/100/100 Str/Sta/Dex/Agi

I have a friend who helped get me started with armor (wearing half banded and half small bronze). The problem now is I'm always at ~86 weight easily going to 100 after an hour of killing.

So it basically comes down to this:
Is there anything I should aim to get for str? I'm thinking amber jewelry for a start. Or is it best if i re-start (only lvl 4) and redo my stats to 90/75/90/100 at least or even 95 in str and 85 in dex or no dex at all.

Thanks for the help!

skorge
10-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Redo stats....put all in str and sta IMO. Sta = more hps for you...as a we your dex is naturally gunna be higher than most wars (im not for certain but it makes sense)...I would divide them between str and sta or put them all into STA personally

sgallaty
10-22-2010, 02:32 PM
redo stats.

your main stat is sta, the rest in str.

you won't solo anyhow as a woof, and you're going to be a novelty character anyhow.

IMO there are only a few options for warriors, whose roles are very, very narrow. Ogres for frontal stun, iks for armor/regen, trolls for regen

barbs for being able to wear both large/med armor - very minor

halfers for their dump stat being cha, exp bonus.

if you want a real challenge - make an ogre, and get him good faction in kelethin. =)

That way you can be both effective and have the challenge you're looking for. Have him be an ogre baby raised by woofs.

If you're concerned about holding agro - that's not even a role you'll be playing until the late game and your stats will be based on gear choices.

toffty
10-22-2010, 03:08 PM
If you're concerned about holding agro - that's not even a role you'll be playing until the late game and your stats will be based on gear choices.

I do plan to group as much as I can specifically dung crawling. I expect, as a tank, that I will be MT in groups.

From the reading I've done, it seams like it's much harder to get Dex for a warrior than it is Str/Sta. Why I decided to dump so many points in. Is this incorrect?

Or do you mean there's an over abondance of tanks or that no one needs tanks until 40+?

toffty
10-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Redo stats....put all in str and sta IMO. Sta = more hps for you...as a we your dex is naturally gunna be higher than most wars (im not for certain but it makes sense)...I would divide them between str and sta or put them all into STA personally

If i go all STA then I still have the over burdened issue. Also iirc HP from Sta is low and armor will put my STA at max anyway at end game

feste
10-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Id do it all into stamina and buy +2 str rings and +3 str earings right away. wear banded instead of bronze in the beginning and get large sewing kits as your bags. then save all your pennies for a hero bracer.

Tokum-6n0m3
10-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Id just like to pt out that tho str and sta are great, so many people put so much value on str sta and ac.......

Remember agi actually raises your AC's hardcap.......not saying you should dump points into agi, just something to keep in mind....

edit: Also seeing on this server procs are the only true way to obtain agro.....Dex isnt horrible either

Combo
10-22-2010, 03:47 PM
All into STA.

Every class.

No exceptions.*

Leftovers, if there are any, should be put in your primary stat -- STR for anything expecting to do melee damage, INT for INT casters, WIS for WIS casters.

You are going to be drowning in DEX from gear. It seems like everything has a sprinkle of DEX on it.

AGI is an awkward stat that, as best I can tell, everyone just ignores. You'll get a little collateral AGI from gear, but meh.

You have the deck stacked against you to some extent, mostly because of your class choice. Warriors are a joke without gear, simply bad with average gear, and only turn into something truly useful and impressive with insane gear and, perhaps most importantly, level 50. That's just Classic for you.

Your race choice: As a wood elf, you need to grab some STR gear to be able to carry the armor you should be wearing. Like feste said, get the cheapo STR jewelry (probably... what, 30-40 plat for two rings and two ears?), then get your armor (Small Bronze), then save for a "big" piece of STR gear that you'll use for... a long, long time (like Hero Bracers).

Oh. Everybody and their mother will laugh at you on the forums for not being an Ogre, and no one in-game will care.

*Only exception: Bringing AGI to 75 on a character that's going to be getting hit. Sub-75 AGI is an AC penalty.

ShivanAngel
10-22-2010, 03:59 PM
TBB is also a good choice for a big piece of Str gear.

also true, everyone screams ogres will eb the only tanks end game guilds will choose but thats just not true.

Your TPS hardly suffers from being stunned, (at least once you get weapons that proc).

Randiesel
10-22-2010, 04:01 PM
I fully Disagree with Combo.

If I were making a warrior today, it would probably be a WElf too. Maybe even HFL for the xp bonus, but more importantly the Agi and Dex. If you plan on playing for the long hall (as in getting to 50) all the trolls and ogres will be looking for agi gear, and you'll be 20 points ahead of them. You were right about Str and Sta, it will get maxed on its own, and the difference in HP at a low level is inconsequential.

DekThai
10-22-2010, 04:14 PM
If you are not twinked which I think you are not, I suggest you to put some points in STR because you will need to loot lots of craps to sell. And being Wood Elf, you will have low str.

its up to you, on my Ogre War, I put my pts in Stam and Dex since i need weapon procs and tanking.

Hope this help.

Lazortag
10-22-2010, 04:22 PM
I fully Disagree with Combo.

If I were making a warrior today, it would probably be a WElf too. Maybe even HFL for the xp bonus, but more importantly the Agi and Dex. If you plan on playing for the long hall (as in getting to 50) all the trolls and ogres will be looking for agi gear, and you'll be 20 points ahead of them. You were right about Str and Sta, it will get maxed on its own, and the difference in HP at a low level is inconsequential.

The amount by which you'd be ahead in agi/dex/etc., the ogre will be ahead even more in sta/strength. You just can't deny that an ogre warrior is the best stat-wise.

It's just silly to say that sta/str will be maxed on its own, when you would only need to max it out "on it's own" if you didn't put enough points into it from the start.

In any case, I realize that the differences between class/race combinations are fairly minimal anyway, and so I understand why someone would want a wood elf warrior. In that case you should put the most points possible into sta, end of story.

sgallaty
10-22-2010, 04:53 PM
I do plan to group as much as I can specifically dung crawling. I expect, as a tank, that I will be MT in groups.

From the reading I've done, it seams like it's much harder to get Dex for a warrior than it is Str/Sta. Why I decided to dump so many points in. Is this incorrect?

Or do you mean there's an over abondance of tanks or that no one needs tanks until 40+?

If you have a dedicated group you tank for, then that changes things altogether.

You can make anything work. Success as a tank is more about having a group to tank for than any stat or gear.

toffty
10-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. I think I'll stick with my current build and get amber rings/ears and save up for/get hero's braclet and TBB.

Duie
10-22-2010, 06:00 PM
I ARE STARTED A FAD!!! Welcome to to the woodelfwannabe warrior club !!!!

Dont get upset when they ask for a tank because they think your a ranger or bard (and they will) just grinn and tellm to bite yer arse

toffty
10-22-2010, 06:19 PM
I'll hotkey that ;)

pickled_heretic
10-22-2010, 06:25 PM
stam is fine if you're a twink, but otherwise you should put your points into str for the reasons you already mentioned. if your main is going to be a warrior, you are going to be ghetto poor for practically the entire leveling experience. strength will at least let you pick up a few more FS weapons and carry more plat. And the difference in stam will not pay off until you are basically max level anyway.

Kassel
10-22-2010, 06:36 PM
If you want to tank you are crazy to not put your max points into stam. a few FS weapons here and there is not worth gimping your HP pool

Dantes
10-22-2010, 07:39 PM
The encumbrance of armor is only a temporary problem. Using your starting stats to boost STR is not worth it. You will be able to get items like a Hero Bracer (10 STR), TBB (15 STR) or Mithril Plated Girth (9 STR). There's jagged bands, the jewelry you mentioned, and much more.

The problem is: bronze sucks. Avoid it like the plague. Get yourself a full set of small banded and wear that until you can start questing crafted. You can wear more armor before you'll be encumbered and get more AC for your buck. When you start questing crafted, resize all of your pieces to small via the dwarves in WC. Get some weight reduction bags to carry your spare weapons in.

Low STR was a problem for me as a DE starting out, but at level 37 with the gear I have now it's never a problem. I don't think you made a mistake. DEX and AGI are important, more so than STR. Your role as a warrior is not to DPS, it's to take damage. If you can't proc, you won't keep aggro. If you have low AGI, you'll get the shit beat out of you.

And novelty guy, I'm not so sure you HAVE to be an Ogre or a Troll to solo. I didn't get that memo, because I can solo Cyclops and Hill Giants just fine in mid 30s. Course I have to sit on my ass for a half hour to get all the health back, regen is a good point but I wouldn't go so far as to say smaller warriors are less capable. We can hold our own.

Tronjer
10-22-2010, 08:02 PM
After doing some reading on the forum, people meantioned Dex being helpful with warrior aggro so I set my stats at 80/75/100/100 Str/Sta/Dex/Agi

Do yourself a favor and start from the scratch, as long as you didn't invest too much time into this toon. WE is a rather bad choice for a warrior, but if you want to stick with it it anyhow, put all 25 points into stamina. Even by totally disregarding dex for now, you will easily exceed 150 dex at level 50, with full gear and Shm buff. Which is thoroughly sufficient for holding aggro by dual-wielding yaks.

Aside of aggro management, the other part of the tank role is surviving and for this you need as much hp as possible. At lower levels there is not much difference between races but it will become significant once you hit 50. Talking about numbers: a level 50 full geared and buffed Ogre warrior, who put everything into stamina at char creation, max out at aprox 3.8k hp. Barbs and Dorfs have about 90 hp less under comparable conditions. However, your template with 75 sta will bring you below 3.5k and this is a huge gap toward the top in regard of absorbing hit spikes from later raid encounters. On top of that, the gap will still increase with a sta modifier of 6hp at level 60.

Combo
10-22-2010, 10:05 PM
If you plan on playing for the long hall (as in getting to 50) all the trolls and ogres will be looking for agi gear, and you'll be 20 points ahead of them.

This is the dumbest fucking thing I've ever read.

Default STR/STA/AGI/DEX for a Warrior:

Troll: 118 STR, 119 STA, 88 AGI, 75 DEX
Ogre: 140 STR, 132 STA, 75 AGI, 70 DEX

Wood Elf: 75 STR, 75 STA, 100 AGI, 80 DEX

So yeah bro, Trolls are going to be clamoring for 12 AGI just to keep up with you, and Ogres are going to need a whole 25!

Problem is, you'll need +44 STA to match a Troll, or +57 to match an Ogre. If you want to talk about STR too, you'll need +43 to match Troll and +65 to match an Ogre.

For the love of god, don't put your points in AGI. You're utterly starved for STA compared to the "big" tanks, and only slightly above them in AGI anyway.

And don't let this make you think you should go Ogre or Troll. They're fantastic Warriors, but the challenge with a Warrior is getting to 50. If you can't stand looking at your character and never think he or she looks "cool," you'll give up at level 9 and go roll a Mage like the rest of the server.

Tokum-6n0m3
10-22-2010, 10:41 PM
I like the way Ogre's and Trolls look, its the xp bonus that gets me on warrior~

toffty
10-22-2010, 11:35 PM
Ok I've decided to reroll with
80/95/80/100 Str/Sta/Dex/Agi
Seems more rounded then before

Tronjer
10-23-2010, 06:14 AM
Level process should be of lesser concern, as, considering one sticks with EQ and his toon, he will spend considerable more time at max level anyway. Agi, hoewever, just gives a small ac boost with a 5:1 ratio and hence one shouldn't waste points into this stat.

I rolled a Barb warrior here, since I can't 't stand ugly races. As trade off I took a 20 stamina malus in comparison to Ogres, but that is at least still in range. Even though I find myself rather trading ac for hp/sta gear in most situations.