PDA

View Full Version : Best places to tradeskill

Sorn
06-11-2015, 01:51 PM
With Velious on its way and with it the Coldain Prayer Shawl quests, it's about time to brush up on those tradeskills!

Where are the best places to skill up? I'm talking places where zoning is kept to a minimum and vendors close to each other have most or all of the supplies required to practice.

I know in EQ, supplies are scattered across the continents and it's an exercise in chain link-clicking on the wiki if you want to know where something can be found. Currently the best guide for a tradeskill that I've read is the Baking guide, which describes vendor locations and gives you the cheapest and most efficient way to get your Baking skill up. (Whoever wrote that, I love you.) I decided to make this post because I recently noticed that some places are way easier than others to get supplies and practice. It can be really frustrating if you can't find the vendors you need or have to do a lot of traveling to get basic items.

Here are my contributions. Feel free to add on if I'm missing something. I followed the guides on the wiki pages for the most part.

Brewing
Overall best location: Freeport
Estimated cost: <=100pp? Didn't keep track.

Heady Kiolas (triv 46) - EAST FREEPORT - Trader's Holiday has your kiola saps and bottles (and brew barrel), Freeport Inn has your water flasks.
Heady Kiolas (triv 46) - KELETHIN - Barkeep Tuviena in the tavern on the platform just below the Kelethin bank has packets of kiola sap and bottles, while the neighboring Goods shop has water flasks. The brew barrel is a few platforms away, next to the Druid guild (Soldiers of Tunare).

Fish Wine (triv 68) - EAST FREEPORT - Port Authority has all the fresh fish you could ever want, while the innkeepers in Freeport Inn have water flasks. Close by, there's a brew barrel and bottles sold by the Alemakers in Trader's Holiday. Another brew barrel is present in Seafarer's Roost.
Fish Wine (triv 68) - KELETHIN & FELWITHE - If you want to stay in GFay for fish wine, just head to Felwithe and drop by the fishmongers by the lake near the South Felwithe zoneline for fresh fish. Barkeep Tuviena and her friends have everything else you need.
(Neither dwarfs nor wood elves sell fish.)

Ol'Tujim's Fierce Brew (triv 135) - WEST FREEPORT - Krystin Charcoal next to the North Freeport zone (closest to the gates) has all your supplies. The brew barrel is outside the Hogcaller's Inn.
Ol'Tujim's Fierce Brew (triv 135) - SOUTH KALADIM - Hanamaf Darkfoam in Pub Kal (first building on the left you come to as you enter the left side of South Kaladim) has everything, plus there's a brew barrel next to him. (If you are in Kaladim to brew, know that all the water flasks are in North Kaladim with the smithing supplies.)

Faydwer Shaker (triv 188) - EAST FREEPORT - Trader's Holiday and Velithe & Bardo's Imported Goods have all four spirits, casks, and a brew barrel.
(Haven't tried doing this recipe on Faydwer.)

--------------

Blacksmithing (not a part of the prayer shawl quest but it's something I know about, so here it is)
Overall best location: Kaladim
Estimated cost: Uh...hmm. A lot after you hit banded. Before...maybe 100pp?

Metal bits (triv 21) - NORTH KALADIM - Find the miners in the mine, they have a fabulous selection of ores. More importantly, Harnoff Splitrock sells water flasks right next to Bloarn Norkhitter, who sells small pieces of ore. The dwarfs know where it's at for smithing. Everhot Forge (#8 on the wiki map) has a forge just outside. There's another forge in South Kaladim by Redfist's Metals (#4 on the wiki map). The dwarven cultural forge is also out here, so take note of which one is which.

Scalers (triv 41) - NORTH/SOUTH KALADIM & BUTCHERBLOCK MOUNTAINS - Now that you've got a bunch of metal bits, you just need water flasks and scaler molds. You know where to find the water flasks. The scaler molds can be found a short distance away from the entrance of Kaladim, in the third building along the path to GFay (#4 on the wiki map). Look for Nalda Griststone.

Large Lanterns (triv 68) - NORTH/SOUTH KALADIM & BUTCHERBLOCK MOUNTAINS - Water flasks available at the usual spot, and Nalda Griststone has the lantern casing mold for you. Hanamaf Darkfoam in Pub Kal (first building on the left you come to as you enter the left side of South Kaladim) has your bottles.

Skewers (triv 115) - NORTH/SOUTH KALADIM & BUTCHERBLOCK MOUNTAINS - Nalda Griststone has your skewer molds! She's my favorite.

Banded (triv 135, 168, & 175) - KELETHIN - Here's where it gets really expensive (and heavy!). You can buy sheet metal or make it*. In the city made entirely of wood, we happen to have both a forge and a merchant who sells the molds and sheet metal necessary for smithing. Merchant Linolyen at the POD lift has your stuff. To get to the forge, use the middle path from the newbie lift platform and it will be on the next platform (#17 on the wiki map). If you can't find any closer water flask vendors, head to the Goods shop between the bank and the POD lift.

*Sheet metal (triv 56) - NORTH KALADIM - All you need is a forge, 2 small bricks of ore, and a water flask for one sheet metal. Bloarn Norkhitter and Harnoff Splitrock are your guys.

If you want to do ornate chain, you'll have to get drops of HQ ore off mobs according to the wiki (maybe? I haven't gotten to this part yet). Fine plate requires some tailoring for the leather padding, but once you get that, you can head to Kaladim to get a smithy hammer and medium quality ore from Harnoff Splitrock, and Felwithe for the plate molds from Nerrisia Irontree.

Banthabolt
06-11-2015, 01:57 PM
Thanks for this! I vaguely remember the Shawl quest but I do remember spending many days Brewing.

zanderklocke
06-11-2015, 02:09 PM
Highpass rules for pottery.

Sorn
06-11-2015, 02:12 PM

It does?? Whoa! :O Details! Vendors? Locations?

curtischoy
06-11-2015, 02:18 PM
I'm sure that you are trying to get your skills up BEFORE Velious, but once it releases I remember Thurgadin being the best spot in game for tradeskills.

Sorn
06-11-2015, 02:29 PM
I'm sure that you are trying to get your skills up BEFORE Velious, but once it releases I remember Thurgadin being the best spot in game for tradeskills.

My line of thought is that there are other places that are easier to get to (and are available in game right now), if anyone wants to work on tradeskills for any reason. Velious just happens to be a good incentive for most players because of the shawl quests.

When I can get into Thurgadin, I'll investigate. I think I've only been there a handful of times on Live back in the day.

Swish
06-11-2015, 06:14 PM
You can do a LOT of brewing upstairs in Highkeep - its where I did mine on live. The dealers sell all the supplies you need to get from 1-130ish i think.

sambal
06-11-2015, 06:17 PM
I think Rivervale is the best for brewing. You can buy from the merchant on the second floor of the bar, close the window, and brew from the same spot. Everything (even fish) is sold either in the bar, or right outside of it. from 0 to max.

Crawdad
06-11-2015, 06:52 PM
Going to echo Highkeep for Brewing and Pottery. ..spent many, many hours there skilling up pottery for Vial of Velium Vapors (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=5329) and brewing because I was a boozehound.

Edit:
Pottery Guide (http://www.eqtraders.com/articles/article_page.php?article=g87&menustr=040090000000), all available in Highkeep.
Brewing Guide (http://www.eqtraders.com/articles/article_page.php?article=g24&menustr=040030000000), I'd probably just buy fish in Freeport/WC and head to Highkeep for combines, then move on to Ol' Tujim and then Mino hero brew.

Another bonus for Highkeep is that all the vendors are pretty much right next to one another.. because I doubt you'll have enough bag space for all the combines at once. Thurg is a great place for tradeskills too, everything right next to one another with an easy to make gate potion.

Can't speak on any other tradeskills as I only maxed brewing, pottery and baking on live... and Baking is already criminally simple to max in Freeport then Greater+Lesser Faydark.

Shodo
06-12-2015, 12:16 PM
Blacksmithing - East Freeport. Can buy all of your materials here, until fine steel plate when you have to make the sheets in North Freeport. Also multiple forges available.

Tailoring - Can also be done in East Freeport (at least up through Cured Silk - brewing supplies are just around the corner from the tailor).

The real kicker for both: proximity to the tunnel. You can buy materials/sell wares (especially handy for tailoring if you run out of silk or need to buy pelts). Also, if you're not a caster and/or your wis/int are fairly low, grabbing a SoW and a str/dex buff from a high level shaman at the tunnel will help you immensely. Even if you are using int/wis, the SoW and str will get you around town a lot faster (especially if you're carrying heavy smithing stuff).

DeadlyReza
07-15-2015, 06:13 PM

True, but if you are ally or kindly in some cities it could cut your prices in half!

I should really be doing this on all my chars... its like the easiest way to get perma crack...

Buellen
07-15-2015, 06:33 PM
Tailoring: Halas

1. Smithing supplies in city close to war guild
2. Tailoring patterns right outside city
3. Unbelievable amount of ruined, low, med, high quilt bear and wolf skin usually found on merchant with tailoring pattern just to merchant dive a bit.

4. I do not lie about the amount of bear /wolf skins you get here often net 100 plus low med and high quality skins combined.

5. lots of cougars in ever frost for tailored quivers.

6. only down side is not a lot of spider silk sources.

Sorn
07-15-2015, 08:18 PM
Yes, tailoring's a hard one. There's some traveling involved.

The game's #1 source for spider silks are the crag spiders in EK. They rarely drop less than three silks at a time (4-6 is usual in my experience). Once you get to raw/cured silk stages, you can go there or try to buy silks off people hunting there.

For wood elf cultural tailoring, there's even more traveling. Oak bark for oak bark tannin is a plentiful ground spawn in Butcherblock Mountains. Sabertooth tiger hides seem to drop more often from the higher level sabertooths in LOIO, so you can collect those while leveling around the windmill area. Morning dew for any mithril parts drops from brownies in LFay or can be foraged in GFay.

Halfling cultural tailoring is similar, only using brute hides (Warsliks Woods has caves full of brutes as well as lower level brutes who rove the zone) and misty acorns (forage and ground spawn in Misty Thicket). Luckily for them, they can use normal studs and steel bonings.

Both of these do require fairly high smithing skill to make the special sewing kits.

True, but if you are ally or kindly in some cities it could cut your prices in half!

I should really be doing this on all my chars... its like the easiest way to get perma crack...

:)

captnamazing
07-15-2015, 11:14 PM
Pottery - RIVERVALE

kaev
07-15-2015, 11:15 PM
Pottery: North Freeport

captnamazing
07-15-2015, 11:21 PM
Pottery: North Freeport

I'm going to kill you for this.

Itap
07-16-2015, 12:59 AM

put the pot down bro

Maelstrom
07-16-2015, 02:06 AM
With Velious on its way and with it the Coldain Prayer Shawl quests, it's about time to brush up on those tradeskills!

Where are the best places to skill up? I'm talking places where zoning is kept to a minimum and vendors close to each other have most or all of the supplies required to practice.

I know in EQ, supplies are scattered across the continents and it's an exercise in chain link-clicking on the wiki if you want to know where something can be found. Currently the best guide for a tradeskill that I've read is the Baking guide, which describes vendor locations and gives you the cheapest and most efficient way to get your Baking skill up. (Whoever wrote that, I love you.) I decided to make this post because I recently noticed that some places are way easier than others to get supplies and practice. It can be really frustrating if you can't find the vendors you need or have to do a lot of traveling to get basic items.

Here are my contributions. Feel free to add on if I'm missing something. I followed the guides on the wiki pages for the most part.

Brewing
Overall best location: Freeport
Estimated cost: <=100pp? Didn't keep track.

Heady Kiolas (triv 46) - EAST FREEPORT - Trader's Holiday has your kiola saps and bottles (and brew barrel), Freeport Inn has your water flasks.
Heady Kiolas (triv 46) - KELETHIN - Barkeep Tuviena in the tavern on the platform just below the Kelethin bank has packets of kiola sap and bottles, while the neighboring Goods shop has water flasks. The brew barrel is a few platforms away, next to the Druid guild (Soldiers of Tunare).

Fish Wine (triv 68) - EAST FREEPORT - Port Authority has all the fresh fish you could ever want, while the innkeepers in Freeport Inn have water flasks. Close by, there's a brew barrel and bottles sold by the Alemakers in Trader's Holiday. Another brew barrel is present in Seafarer's Roost.
Fish Wine (triv 68) - KELETHIN & FELWITHE - If you want to stay in GFay for fish wine, just head to Felwithe and drop by the fishmongers by the lake near the South Felwithe zoneline for fresh fish. Barkeep Tuviena and her friends have everything else you need.
(Neither dwarfs nor wood elves sell fish.)

Ol'Tujim's Fierce Brew (triv 135) - WEST FREEPORT - Krystin Charcoal next to the North Freeport zone (closest to the gates) has all your supplies. The brew barrel is outside the Hogcaller's Inn.
Ol'Tujim's Fierce Brew (triv 135) - SOUTH KALADIM - Hanamaf Darkfoam in Pub Kal (first building on the left you come to as you enter the left side of South Kaladim) has everything, plus there's a brew barrel next to him. (If you are in Kaladim to brew, know that all the water flasks are in North Kaladim with the smithing supplies.)

Faydwer Shaker (triv 188) - EAST FREEPORT - Trader's Holiday and Velithe & Bardo's Imported Goods have all four spirits, casks, and a brew barrel.
(Haven't tried doing this recipe on Faydwer.)

--------------

Blacksmithing (not a part of the prayer shawl quest but it's something I know about, so here it is)

Metal bits (triv 21) - NORTH KALADIM - Find the miners in the mine, they have a fabulous selection of ores. More importantly, Harnoff Splitrock sells water flasks right next to Bloarn Norkhitter, who sells small pieces of ore. The dwarfs know where it's at for smithing. Everhot Forge (#8 on the wiki map) has a forge just outside. There's another forge in South Kaladim by Redfist's Metals (#4 on the wiki map). The dwarven cultural forge is also out here, so take note of which one is which.

Scalers (triv 41) - NORTH/SOUTH KALADIM & BUTCHERBLOCK MOUNTAINS - Now that you've got a bunch of metal bits, you just need water flasks and scaler molds. You know where to find the water flasks. The scaler molds can be found a short distance away from the entrance of Kaladim, in the third building along the path to GFay (#4 on the wiki map). Look for Nalda Griststone.

Large Lanterns (triv 68) - NORTH/SOUTH KALADIM & BUTCHERBLOCK MOUNTAINS - Water flasks available at the usual spot, and Nalda Griststone has the lantern casing mold for you. Hanamaf Darkfoam in Pub Kal (first building on the left you come to as you enter the left side of South Kaladim) has your bottles.

Skewers (triv 115) - NORTH/SOUTH KALADIM & BUTCHERBLOCK MOUNTAINS - Nalda Griststone has your skewer molds! She's my favorite.

Banded (triv 135, 168, & 175) - KELETHIN - Here's where it gets really expensive (and heavy!). You can buy sheet metal or make it*. In the city made entirely of wood, we happen to have both a forge and a merchant who sells the molds and sheet metal necessary for smithing. Merchant Linolyen at the POD lift has your stuff. To get to the forge, use the middle path from the newbie lift platform and it will be on the next platform (#17 on the wiki map). If you can't find any closer water flask vendors, head to the Goods shop between the bank and the POD lift.

*Sheet metal (triv 56) - NORTH KALADIM - All you need is a forge, 2 small bricks of ore, and a water flask for one sheet metal. Bloarn Norkhitter and Harnoff Splitrock are your guys.

If you want to do ornate chain, you'll have to get drops of HQ ore off mobs according to the wiki (maybe? I haven't gotten to this part yet). Fine plate requires some tailoring for the leather padding, but once you get that, you can head to Kaladim to get a smithy hammer and medium quality ore from Harnoff Splitrock, and Felwithe for the plate molds from Nerrisia Irontree.

Most of this can also be done in Neriak, one of the best places to tradeskill for evil races. Oggok is also good. Evil races get the shaft in brewing after 135 though, as all of the necessary ingredients are either in Freeport or Kaladim (to my knowledge).

If anyone even knows a way to skill up on brewing post 135 without having to vendor in a 'good' city, let me know.

Sorn
07-16-2015, 02:23 AM
Most of this can also be done in Neriak, one of the best places to tradeskill for evil races. Oggok is also good. Evil races get the shaft in brewing after 135 though, as all of the necessary ingredients are either in Freeport or Kaladim (to my knowledge).

If anyone even knows a way to skill up on brewing post 135 without having to vendor in a 'good' city, let me know.

Ooo, yeah, that's rough.

If you can find a forager to buy stacks of vegetables off of (should be easy in EC or wherever halflings, wood elves, or iksars are), you can do Ginesh up to 168. After that you should be able to do Minotaur Hero's brew in Neriak.

For Faydwer Shakers: The wiki indicates a gypsy named Tran in either SRo or Oasis sells Dwarven Ale and Elven Wine. You can also brew Gnomish Spirits. Kelkarn in Paineel has everything but the mead listed on the wiki, but I'm not sure that's really feasible for most evil toons. The vendor list for Gnomish Spirits seems to be somewhat incorrect, though. Grubmar in the Overthere apparently sells spells, not spirits.

Jimjam
07-16-2015, 10:01 AM
Rivervale is the best cos of the 24/7 party music!

sacman08
07-16-2015, 10:19 AM

I ended up spending right around 170pp taking my blacksmithing from 1 to the minimum skill for banded. That was following these skill ups and selling back the lanterns and what not that I didn't need for another skill up (i.e. don't see the metal bits, you use them later).

Edit: I did all my skill ups in Freeport, everything is nearby and the EC tunnel for selling banded is a great plus.

kaev
07-16-2015, 01:02 PM

Log in sometime then! I'll pull Kaev out of retirement long enough to lose a duel to you!

I'd slap you with a glove, but I'm worried I'd whiff (lolpaladin) and hit myself. Especially having to aim that low, a steel gauntlet to the nuts would hurt!

Morlaeth
07-16-2015, 02:44 PM

Rivervale also p good for pottery

Maelstrom
07-16-2015, 04:29 PM
Ooo, yeah, that's rough.

If you can find a forager to buy stacks of vegetables off of (should be easy in EC or wherever halflings, wood elves, or iksars are), you can do Ginesh up to 168. After that you should be able to do Minotaur Hero's brew in Neriak.

For Faydwer Shakers: The wiki indicates a gypsy named Tran in either SRo or Oasis sells Dwarven Ale and Elven Wine. You can also brew Gnomish Spirits. Kelkarn in Paineel has everything but the mead listed on the wiki, but I'm not sure that's really feasible for most evil toons. The vendor list for Gnomish Spirits seems to be somewhat incorrect, though. Grubmar in the Overthere apparently sells spells, not spirits.

Good info, thanks!

Pint
07-16-2015, 04:43 PM

rivervale is better, its all in the zone and things are slightly closer.

kaev
07-16-2015, 07:22 PM
rivervale is better, its all in the zone and things are slightly closer.

North Freeport underrated, everything you need to hit 122 for Velium Vial trivial plus a real bank instead of a glorified doghouse where you have to duck to get thru the door. Also, if you load up on water first West Freeport has everything pottery except water within about 3 steps of the pottery wheel.

DeadlyReza
07-19-2015, 08:18 AM
Just out of curiosity if I wanted to train all of these, would I need like 10k? 20k? 100k?!

I know it's expensive but I'm curious to know because I would rather pharm and then just smash them all out :)

Swish
07-19-2015, 08:27 AM
More of them are fiddly than expensive.

JC is the worst to do, but if you're not an enchanter it's not worth it.

Sorn
07-19-2015, 09:26 AM
Just out of curiosity if I wanted to train all of these, would I need like 10k? 20k? 100k?!

I know it's expensive but I'm curious to know because I would rather pharm and then just smash them all out :)

Here's what I know:

Blacksmithing to 115 - ~150-200pp
Pottery to 122 - ~100pp
Baking to 135 - ~10pp
Brewing to 188 - 100-200pp?

Tailoring to 115 may or may not cost a bunch, depending on if you choose to hunt up your own ingredients or buy them from others. Once you end up doing cultural (if you can), you will have to shell out a ton of pp even if you are hunting up and foraging everything you can. If you plan to buy off players, 1k to start might be good.

Jewelry I've seen quoted at 1k or more. If you're an enchanter who can enchant all the metals, you can make a minor profit fairly early on. Silver jewelry with stats sells back to vendor for more than the regular kind, not to mention selling for quite a bit to other players.

Fletching I am not certain about since I just got started on it. It's surprisingly expensive, though.

DeadlyReza
07-19-2015, 10:36 AM
Wow ok so pretty cheap then... let the trade skill in begin! Also thanks for the thread it makes it much easier than trailing the wiki lol

stifling
07-19-2015, 03:28 PM
I'm curious how much plat it would take to max the different tradeskills. Anyone have figures according to their own experience on this?

Cecily
07-19-2015, 03:36 PM
As a wood elf druid, estimating it cost me approximately 80k -100k over 2 years to get tailoring to 228 Kunark cultural cap. Poison making is about 6k. Pottery isn't expensive, but requires a ton of zombie skins. Fletching is fairly expensive later on. Extremely expensive 215 - 235. Blacksmithing is surprisingly cheap. Brewing 1 - 248 is extremely cheap, but the final combine is the thing of nightmares.

DeadlyReza
07-19-2015, 05:46 PM
so to bring it back to the OP

Baking: 127 not too bad
Brewing: 168 nice and cheap
Fletching: 168 shouldnt get expensive
Jewelcraft: 162 really annoying but not too expensive
Pottery: 162 - cheap but you will need to go to unrest and just wipe the zone? ahh i mean buy all the zombie skins off the nice players there :)
Tailoring: 208 - get your wallet out ladies and gents?

Can someone update me if this is wrong? :P

kernal
07-20-2015, 08:11 AM
Thanks for this! I vaguely remember the Shawl quest but I do remember spending many days Brewing.