PDA

View Full Version : Have the Dev's Ever Considered A Fresh Server?

sureal
06-11-2015, 03:25 PM
I was just curious if the Dev's had ever considering doing this? I know I have about 20 friends that have often discussed we love this server but it has sat stale for so long that is un appealing.

I feel like this tends to happen to most Emu projects because recreating the code always takes longer than intended so expansions are delayed years instead of months.

We have discussed how we would love it if you guys released a fresh clone of Blue and just let everyone who didn't find out about P99 until it was already well into Kunark experience it.

After seeing what has happened with Ragefire it has sparked my curiosity even more because I think majority of the people playing there expected a p99 experience and not what we ended up getting.

I wondered if you had ever considered releasing a clone of blue that was classic only for a period of time, then kunark, then velious.

I know myself and MANY of the people I play with would absolutely love the opportunity to play on a server such as this.

The second part of my post is if you have never considered it what would it take for you to consider it?

I assume first you would have to clear it with DBG and probably delay it until sometime around august if not later...

After that I assume you would need the donations to support another server being operated...

Even if those two were to pass does your version of the code have the ability to release specific expansions or is it a "all or nothing" style of code?

Even if a progression version of the server is out of the question, I know myself and many others would still be interested in playing on a server that doesn't have 2200 cloak of flames and 9000 fungi tunics floating around... Just a clean start where things actually had value again would be cool.

If it is something you guys just simply aren't interested in I can understand that. I assume fear of splitting the population is one thing but at the same time I don't think many of the blue veterans would move to a new server but I do feel that A LOT of the people who don't currently play P99 would for a fresh start. I've wanted to ask this question for well over a year now (As I never actually got to play p99 classic) and thought maybe it was finally time to take my chance.

Ele
06-11-2015, 03:29 PM
Couldn't end the week without this thread again.

No new servers, or at the very least another blue server, until Velious runs its course, so you are looking at 1.5 years minimum expect 2-3 years.

The devs have said they would like to do a server that has nearly all bugs fixed and all content in dynamically timed auto patches so they can play too.

Lady Julae
06-11-2015, 03:33 PM
This would be cool if they added Luclin and PoP, but nixed the Knowledge Books, Nexus and Bazaar.

sureal
06-11-2015, 03:35 PM
I probably should have searched for previous posts before posting. My apologizes.

I haven't been on p99 forums for at least a year until today.

I'll look through some history.

Daldaen
06-11-2015, 03:39 PM
This would be cool if they added Luclin and PoP, but nixed the Knowledge Books, Nexus and Bazaar.

I would accept this. But the Nexus is a required hub. You can't access several zones without it. People overemphasize the porting of scions to Nexus. Just think of them as wizard boats. They take 15-30minutes to arrive and go to a very limited number of locations.

Bazaar... Don't skip this, being able to avoid resellers, undercutters, and low ballers would be fantastic.

PoK books I don't care about really. I think them being 1 way from PoK to their destination would be a happy medium. Maybe require level 46 for PoK and make it Druid/Wizard port only.

Luclin/PoP though, 1000x thumbs up.

cormag
06-11-2015, 03:42 PM
If you dont care about highend gear, raiding or epics the age of this server should have zero bearing on your play experience.

Most folks who want to wipe the box clean are mad that somebody farmed VP for two years before they got in and have 4 BiS alts logged out at raid target x,y,z etc.

katrik
06-11-2015, 03:59 PM
I don't think threads like these will ever end.

sureal
06-11-2015, 04:12 PM
It has nothing to do with high end gear or raiding honestly cormag.

I truly don't really have any desire to raid at all.

I've played here semi-seriously three times. The first was maybe 6 months before Red where I was ridiculed and kicked from groups because I played a monk who had the audacity to not be using a fungi/cof and dual wielding jade maces. (I was a strait up fresh character and was repeatedly removed from groups for the twinks.) I rerolled a bard and leveled to 55ish.

The second time was right before Red opened, people were much more friendly that time but when red opened we went there to get the "fresh" feeling. I quickly remembered I hate EQ pvp and came back. I leveled to a monk to mid 40's and got tired of feeling useless because every person I grouped with was so geared they basically carried me to victory 24/7.

The last time was about a year ago and I solo'd my way to 50 on a necro. I actually really enjoyed the difficulty this provided but EverQuest is and has always been about the people you play. Playing it solo WoWstyle just wasn't fun.

I think majority of the people who bring this post up (after going back and reading about 15 different posts on the topic) are kind of like me... If you are starting fresh you are either NOTHING but a burden to the people you play with or you can beg people to give you some starter loot that you didn't earn and don't deserve just so you can actually play with other people and not completely encumber them. It's nothing bad about the people on the server or anything like that... It's just a desire to experience the struggle without the comfort of knowing there are 200 epic'd clerics that will rez you any time you ask. :)

snead
06-11-2015, 04:17 PM
I just started fresh at the end of April. Never got kicked out of groups. Had pretty much junk gear that people gave me in EC until about 50.

PVP Cleric
06-11-2015, 04:26 PM
It has nothing to do with high end gear or raiding honestly cormag.

I truly don't really have any desire to raid at all.

I've played here semi-seriously three times. The first was maybe 6 months before Red where I was ridiculed and kicked from groups because I played a monk who had the audacity to not be using a fungi/cof and dual wielding jade maces. (I was a strait up fresh character and was repeatedly removed from groups for the twinks.) I rerolled a bard and leveled to 55ish.

The second time was right before Red opened, people were much more friendly that time but when red opened we went there to get the "fresh" feeling. I quickly remembered I hate EQ pvp and came back. I leveled to a monk to mid 40's and got tired of feeling useless because every person I grouped with was so geared they basically carried me to victory 24/7.

The last time was about a year ago and I solo'd my way to 50 on a necro. I actually really enjoyed the difficulty this provided but EverQuest is and has always been about the people you play. Playing it solo WoWstyle just wasn't fun.

I think majority of the people who bring this post up (after going back and reading about 15 different posts on the topic) are kind of like me... If you are starting fresh you are either NOTHING but a burden to the people you play with or you can beg people to give you some starter loot that you didn't earn and don't deserve just so you can actually play with other people and not completely encumber them. It's nothing bad about the people on the server or anything like that... It's just a desire to experience the struggle without the comfort of knowing there are 200 epic'd clerics that will rez you any time you ask. :)

So start a guild with the goals of 1) playing from scratch, 2) not accepting certain kinds/most/any help from players outside the guild, 3) only using gear you obtain directly, etc.

I bet you'd find a fair number of players who would be willing to play in a guild like that, even if it is just with an alt. You get company and you don't play with the twinks that make you feel useless.

It can be much simpler than that though. Your three "failures" to stick with p99 were when you tried to play a gear-dependent class on an established server while unable to get past those things, trying to play on a PVP server when you don't like EQ PVP, and trying to solo when you don't like to solo. So... play a class that doesn't need gear and that is liked by groups. Cleric, shaman, enchanter. Maybe even a knight class.

Kalmiri
06-11-2015, 04:51 PM
its deja vu all over again!