PDA

View Full Version : Lord Help Me

Curmudgen
10-23-2010, 08:09 PM
So I started on the server and thought I would make a character I had not played before so rolled a troll shaman finally. No doubt it's fun, but so far the 1-13 levels have been very very slow.

So during one time I fired up a gnome magician to see how steamfont was. I think I have fallen for this character! Sitting back and controlling pet, fast dps feedback for my ADHD self, fun summons and damage shields that are helpful, etc etc.

Yet when I read about mages the gestalt I get is that they are kinda looked down on like druudes were back in the day. I need some support here people!! Who plays a Mage cause they just like em?

I am getting close to making this guy my main. I am trying to hold out and stick with the shaman but it's tough!

Fawqueue
10-23-2010, 08:17 PM
You'll find the mage is superior early on to your shaman. But at 50 (and especially at 60 later on) your shaman will be king, while your mage falls behind. Play what you enjoy, but if you are able to look to the future, stick with the shaman.

Azazel
10-23-2010, 08:19 PM
If your enjoying it, roll with it. The advantage to having a high level mage is that you are so good at farming you can later twink out any class you want.

Combo
10-23-2010, 09:46 PM
I have more fun soloing on a Shaman, personally.

On a Mage, you cast/reclaim your fire pet til he's max level, throw him at something, nuke once and afk. If that doesn't work, you do the same thing. And if that doesn't work, you die, because you have no escape options or utility.

Ingrum
10-24-2010, 04:51 AM
People are pretty ignorant to Mages because they've never leveled one to 50 on P99 and don't like how a pet can tank or out DPS them in a pinch. You'll get more hate and assumptions on these forums than your girlfriend gives you when she's on her period.

There's a lot of finesse and skill involved with being a good Magician that takes a lot of dying and determination to master. I personally love pushing the boundaries of the game to find out what I can and cannot destroy, especially after leveling an untwinked warrior to 50 a half year ago when SSoYs weren't all over the place.

Some classes were made for healing, others were made for tanking, some were made for DPSing, and some were made for soloing. Once you realize that then you can get over the fact that some classes perform well at times when others do not and stop posting on the forums that a Mage can AFK to level up like Dumbass_0105.

Playing a Mage is not easy mode by any means. You aren't as reliant on gear as a warrior but you still have to know your class in order to perform and function successfully.

That being said, Mages are a dime a dozen. They're very self reliant and even without "Proper CC" you'll be able to break and take almost any camp as you climb through the levels. Almost. Shamans take a bit more skill and patience but in the end are more sought after by guilds since their usefulness knows no bounds. That and the added fact that they can craft potions that will never stop being needed.

Either way, play what you enjoy most. Both classes can solo. Both classes can DPS. The difference comes down to the broad range of abilities that shamans have in the end versus the DPS boost that a Mage gives to a group or guild, or himself.

Hope that helps. =P

Combo
10-24-2010, 11:28 AM
^ I lol'd.

50 raiding? You need to know how to how get every drip of performance out of your class. That's for any class. That's EQ.

Farming plat for another character? Fire Pet, Burn, Gate. It really is that easy. Not saying anything's wrong with that, but you don't need to have a high school diploma to farm regular old reliable plat (FS weapons, giants, etc) on a Mage.