PDA

View Full Version : Maybe returning..

xonic1
10-23-2010, 09:41 PM
So I do not like any of the current MMO's out, WoW is ok, but nothing has ever came even close to EQ and I doubt anything will unless they remake EQ 1 with updated graphics etc. So my only option is to play on here. How is it getting groups? I am having a hard time picking a character. I played a Enc/Beastlord for pretty much the whole 6 years I played. I almost did a mag now but it seems like everyone is rolling a mag. Whats a good one to go. I want something i can level quick on this server. Thanks.

Swishahouse
10-23-2010, 09:46 PM
My main is a 50 Shaman which I love quite a bit but TBH I've been having a blast on my Enchanter as well. ENC are great for solo as you level up and frequently hold the prized end game camps at this time.

quellren
10-23-2010, 09:47 PM
If it 'levels quick' and solos well, everyone is already playing one to farm plat and gear for their twink non-soloers.
Play whatever waves your flag. Rolling a char because 'the server needs it' will almost guarantee that you burn out and re-roll.

If you absolutely have to play an under-represented class, try ranger, rogue or monk.
Next in line would likely be warriors and clerics. most tanks are Pal or SK, and healing is in my experience, tag teamed by shaman and druids.

Combo
10-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Like in any MMO, tanks get groups the fastest, with Healers a close second.

Mages, Shaman, and Enchanters are all overplayed compared to classic. You can chalk that up to people actually knowing the game now.

If you want to level fast, you want a solo class... which means Mage, Enchanter, Necromancer, and Shaman to a lesser, but still good, extent. Druids are an option too, but they really bring up the rear in Classic when it comes to soloers. The upside is that you'll be swimming in plat if you play port-bitch in EC all day.

Never group with a Ranger, they're worthless and you share their massive XP penalty. Think hard about grouping with a Bard for the same reason -- they're not worthless as a class, but many people that play Bards are (and I don't blame them, I don't want carpal tunnel either).

Unless there is no other option for a tank, avoid grouping with Ogre or Troll SKs. They have the biggest XP penalty in the game, and you'll notice it.

Really, just don't group. It's not even a contest when it comes to pug xp versus solo xp.

If you want to make a gear-dependent class, still make a solo class to farm up some plat. Playing a Warrior without gear is only a step better than banging your head against a wall.

Virtuosos
10-23-2010, 10:41 PM
group with a bundle of people that wont wipe every five seconds...who the fuck cares about the xp penalty...have fun with the people you meet and stop worrying about whether or not you get level 32 faster than the next guy

Swishahouse
10-23-2010, 10:43 PM
group with a bundle of people that wont wipe every five seconds...who the fuck cares about the xp penalty...have fun with the people you meet and stop worrying about whether or not you get level 32 faster than the next guy

THIS

Sethius
10-24-2010, 12:18 AM

This is the attitude I wish every person here had. I mean honestly, we all came back to this classic EQ server probably mostly because we want to emulate some great experiences in our past. As I recall, EQ was largely group based back then, and even though you could solo, people grouped often and with just about anyone.

I, for one, will group with anyone on P99 no matter their class/race combination. I really don't care about leveling fast or anything like that, I want to have fun on the journey, which is imo what EQ was always about.

If you want to solo/power-level and have next to no fun along the way, and then raid till your brain disolves in utter boredom, I hear there is this game called WoW that you might be interested in...

I know, I played WoW (a lot).

As for groups on this server, in reality I find most people willing to group and enjoying it, and the server mostly feels like classic. I think soloing is a bit too lucrative compared to grouping, but frankly soloing bores me to tears no matter how fast it is, and I'd rather group any day.

Darklake
10-24-2010, 07:05 AM

+1

As long as I'm not sitting on my butt waiting for the red or blue bar to creep back up again so I can do something I'm happy. I like my monk for that reason - cheap to run gear wise, and now mend/bind wound are getting more reliable I'm never far away from 75% health. Other than someone to carry my loot, what more do I need? :-)

korrowan
10-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Mage is a 4 letter word no reason to call it a mag.

Combo
10-24-2010, 11:24 AM

He said he wanted to level ASAP. We answered him honestly.