PDA

View Full Version : Mac Users Unite

Mitchell92
06-19-2015, 04:38 PM
Hi all!

I just wanted to know who else is playing on their Mac?

I'm using the Wine Skin wrapper for OS X... Works wonders! I'm finally enjoying EverQuest as it was meant to be enjoyed!

Playing successfully on my Retina MacBook Pro, 15", 16GB RAM, latest version of OS X.

Who else is having a good EQ experience on their Mac?

Chokan
06-19-2015, 04:53 PM
I play on my MacBook Pro while traveling, but if I'm home. It's PC. The screen is too small on my laptop!

On a side note, the client does crash sometimes when I hit "Enter World" on the char select screen. I then just have to re-open the client until it doesn't crash.

Mitchell92
06-19-2015, 04:54 PM
I play on my MacBook Pro while traveling, but if I'm home. It's PC. The screen is too small on my laptop!

On a side note, the client does crash sometimes when I hit "Enter World" on the char select screen. I then just have to re-open the client until it doesn't crash.

I haven't had crash issues yet.

As far as the screen, I have it plugged into a 23" HD display while at my desk.

Sorn
06-19-2015, 05:24 PM
Mac using VMWare here!

Yesterday I used an HDMI cable to hook my laptop up to a giant plasma TV and put EQ up on there to play. It was overkill, but nice to have dual monitors briefly.

Naethyn
06-19-2015, 06:53 PM
I play on my iMac and MacBook Pro bootcamped to windows 7

Mitchell92
06-19-2015, 06:54 PM
Nice!

I'm using that WINE wrapper for now.

Swish
06-19-2015, 07:22 PM
Why are macs so expensive? Honest question. They just seem like more trouble, harder to use and a general pita for anything other than surfing the internet and microsoft office, which PCs can do anyway.

I want to believe.

Pipip
06-19-2015, 07:24 PM
I play on a PC normally, but I play on my MacBook Air (yes, Air) when I'm traveling, or when I just feel like sitting in bed. I made a wineskin wrapper from scratch using the instructions buried somewhere deep in the Mac thread. Tbh, it looks better on my Mac than on the PC.

Sorn
06-19-2015, 07:41 PM
Why are macs so expensive? Honest question. They just seem like more trouble, harder to use and a general pita for anything other than surfing the internet and microsoft office, which PCs can do anyway.

I want to believe.

Macs are used (or should be used) for graphics, primarily. They have THE best displays (consumer-level) and are easier to install/set-up (making the non-programmers happy). Other than that, the price can be attributed to Apple's marketing department, which presents Mac machines as luxury items so they can be ridiculously overpriced.

I use mine for art usually, since I'm an artist. :) PC monitors can be a serious struggle to calibrate for color, even with specialized color-calibration equipment. Of course, the typical computer user will not care about this. They'll take their weird blue or red-tinted, faded colors without comment (mostly because they won't notice). As long as they don't try to match any colors for printing, they'll never comment.

Naethyn
06-19-2015, 09:20 PM
You can get an IPS display that will give you Mac quality screens on a windows box. I often compare IPS to the difference between CRT and LCD. Set up an IPS display by an LCD and the LCD will look washed out. Also, every single windows laptop I have ever owned has turned to crap within 2 years. A MacBook is very well made and the seams are tight. If you want a windows laptop I highly recommend spending the extra on a MacBook and bootcamping to windows 7. Bootcamp is not some virtual mode. It starts up in windows and is running directly on the hardware.

menadwen
06-19-2015, 10:39 PM
Mac = Fanboy

DeadlyReza
06-20-2015, 04:23 AM
I run on my mac mini, it works flawlessly and it's awesome watching it on my 55" led, so not practical though as ready the chat windows is a bitch.

Just love that I can play eq on any computer I want, got it installed on my network gigabit drive and just run it through that :)

DevGrousis
06-29-2015, 06:53 PM
I use the WineSkin wrapper as well. Playing on a 2013 '15 Macbook Pro!

The area near the ESC, and 1, 2, 3, gets reeaalllyyy hot, so I can only play with the computer on my lap for about 45 minutes before I get burned haha

Buellen
06-30-2015, 05:31 AM
Mac mini 5years old. Wineskin wrapper from the instructions here. I love playing on my mac mini since it DOES not crash every time i zone. Unlike my Lap top it crashes 90% of time when i zone.

webrunner5
06-30-2015, 09:52 AM
If you are doing Video, Photo editing Mac is the way to go, and if you can't read directions on how to install new software, go with a Mac. :p Idiot proof.

But they make beautiful gear, keyboards, mice and displays, etc. I guess you pay for design and well made construction. :) I would hate to see them go belly up, not happening, they have more money than some countries lol. But they have, in their history, come close to going belly up. Even the dreaded Bill Gates helped them with some much needed cash back in the day. :cool: