PDA

View Full Version : Rules regarding no-drop items and multiple characters

Denswen
06-19-2015, 10:45 PM
So I am thinking about farming a no-drop item on one of my characters for a separate character. To do so, I would have both in the same zone, kill the mob with one character, log out, login the second character, and loot. The problem is, I would have to wait until the timer wore off making it an open loot.

Since the item is fairly hotly contested, I am concerned about someone else looting the item off of me.

Are you allowed to "claim" a loot so that you can secure it for a character that is not currently logged in?

jarshale
06-19-2015, 11:15 PM
So I am thinking about farming a no-drop item on one of my characters for a separate character. To do so, I would have both in the same zone, kill the mob with one character, log out, login the second character, and loot. The problem is, I would have to wait until the timer wore off making it an open loot.

Since the item is fairly hotly contested, I am concerned about someone else looting the item off of me.

Are you allowed to "claim" a loot so that you can secure it for a character that is not currently logged in?

If you killed it, it's yours. Petition quest time if someone steals it.

Rararboker
06-20-2015, 12:41 AM
Yup, you can let the item rot if you wanted, it is yours. Out of curiosity, what item?

Tankdan
06-20-2015, 12:52 AM
Nobody else is allowed to loot it. You can log over to loot. But you might want to inform other people of your intentions.

DeadlyReza
06-20-2015, 01:56 AM
Wow I never knew this! I was packing it when switching from my druid to my cleric when hunting for epic pieces, the grimlox ring was one that I was sure I was going to loose when trying to switch.

So you can call out that it's yours and then switch over? That's awesome!

cmoore
06-20-2015, 02:13 AM
Ah, thank god. I've been wringing my hands about camping the AC for my monk which, due to poor planning, is on the same account as my ENC. This makes me feel quite a bit better. Thanks, OP. I just assumed it was every man for himself.

Thulack
06-20-2015, 10:53 AM

If you log off its not yours anymore. Think this same discussion was had about the Grimrot camp with people logging on and off. Not my rule but pretty sure thats what was said at the time. I might be mistaken though.

Tiggles
06-20-2015, 11:20 AM
If you log off its not yours anymore. Think this same discussion was had about the Grimrot camp with people logging on and off. Not my rule but pretty sure thats what was said at the time. I might be mistaken though.

Incorrect.

If you log off then you no longer own the camp and someone can take it but if you kill a mob then you own that mobs loot until it rots.

So at worse he can lose the camp he was farming but if someone loots the item off the corpse with out his petition they can be suspended.

fastboy21
06-20-2015, 11:20 AM
Ah, thank god. I've been wringing my hands about camping the AC for my monk which, due to poor planning, is on the same account as my ENC. This makes me feel quite a bit better. Thanks, OP. I just assumed it was every man for himself.

Why does it matter if the chars are on the same account...I mean, unless you are illegally boxing you can only play one of them at a time anyways.

cukazi
06-20-2015, 11:30 AM
Why does it matter if the chars are on the same account...I mean, unless you are illegally boxing you can only play one of them at a time anyways.

because having a friend log your character in is against the rules too damn.

Swish
06-20-2015, 11:39 AM
I think we need to make a rule about this rule.

evilkorn
06-20-2015, 11:45 AM
You can not log over, if you do that item is FFA. I have lost 2 items because someone logged in and looted it off the corpse, GM's would not give it back because I switched characters.

Cecily
06-20-2015, 11:48 AM
No. That's ninja looting, regardless of what ever staff you spoke with. And if you say things like that, shit heads will use that "rule" to their benefit. Dummy.

evilkorn
06-20-2015, 11:51 AM
I mean no disrespect by posting a resolved petition but here is my ruling:

http://i.imgur.com/TQHRkjC.jpg

Brut
06-20-2015, 11:51 AM
Sounds iffy about the FFA if you log thing. I thought the server basic rule about lewt is "you killed it, it's yours till it rots".

I mean you do lose the camp logging off to an alt, of course. But imo the item on the corpse belongs to the guy who killed the mob, unless he decides otherwise. People should in general just understand not to touch a corpse they did not make, no matter what the story behind it.

Swish
06-20-2015, 12:01 PM
People should in general just understand not to touch a corpse they did not make, no matter what the story behind it.

Cecily
06-20-2015, 12:11 PM
I mean no disrespect by posting a resolved petition but here is my ruling:

http://i.imgur.com/TQHRkjC.jpg

I mean plenty of disrespect, that's a bad ruling and you're doing the community a disservice by posting it.

Ravager
06-20-2015, 01:06 PM
That is a bad ruling.

B4EQWASCOOL
06-20-2015, 01:51 PM
No. That's ninja looting, regardless of what ever staff you spoke with. And if you say things like that, shit heads will use that "rule" to their benefit. Dummy.

I didn't see any reason to call names.

Swish
06-20-2015, 02:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/whIEB.gif

arsenalpow
06-20-2015, 02:48 PM
You are in fact mistaken.

Incorrect.

If you log off then you no longer own the camp and someone can take it but if you kill a mob then you own that mobs loot until it rots.

So at worse he can lose the camp he was farming but if someone loots the item off the corpse with out his petition they can be suspended.
Correct in all aspects.

Thulack
06-20-2015, 02:57 PM
You are in fact mistaken.

Correct in all aspects.

Must not have read the whole thread and seen the Sirken PM.

moss_snake_shadowknight
06-20-2015, 03:01 PM
Must not have read the whole thread and seen the Sirken PM.

who is this? who's he to say how BDA runs? ban pls GMs

Pringles
06-20-2015, 03:01 PM
Eunomia already addressed this a few weeks back:

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1889819&postcount=49

Cecily
06-20-2015, 03:15 PM
http://i.imgur.com/TJ2jPwY.png

Sadre Spinegnawer
06-20-2015, 03:21 PM

yeah, methinks the OP just revealed more than he intended about what he sometimes does. Buff bot much?

But is this really true, a killed mob's loot belongs to the player's account, not the char that did the kill?

I did not know that, but if that is the p99 policy, that makes ONE BOXING much more flexible, and is refreshingly nice policy. Because yeah, sometimes you want to camp an item for an alt, and if this is the policy here, that makes it a no problem issue. Just camp to the other char, no worries.

Gumbo
06-20-2015, 03:36 PM
Wouldn't it just be easier to just have another player you know and trust and have them watch the corpse when you are switching characters?

This way you can get the no-drop loot and keep the camp.

fennixad
06-20-2015, 04:37 PM

Where are you gonna do that, i will ninja it.

Tenlaar
06-20-2015, 06:32 PM
I mean plenty of disrespect, that's a bad ruling and you're doing the community a disservice by posting it.

I think it does the community a service to show that the same situation can be ruled differently by different GMs. One says it's ok, the other says it's not, so do it at your own risk apparently.

Insulting a person because of a proven ruling made by a GM it shitty, by the way.

chipz
06-20-2015, 07:51 PM
Sirken agreed that it is still only your loot.
He said its FFA if you're the only one in the zone. Haha. Joke. Of course no one else can loot it if no one else is there.

Jaleth
06-20-2015, 08:02 PM
He said its FFA if you're the only one in the zone. Haha. Joke. Of course no one else can loot it if no one else is there.

Of course a scenario like this can happen, and probably has many times.

Player 1: kills the mob with his main and the item drops with no one in the zone. . . then logs out.
Player 2: logs in while Player 1 is transitioning to their alt

Player 2 doesn't see anyone else in the zone and comes across the corpse with no one else in site. The corpse is still locked most likely.

If player 1's alt is not there in the zone (theoretically traveling to the corpse) when the timer expires Player 2 can then loot the corpse.
I am not saying it is Player 2's item, but he/she did not know the item was claimed rightfully by Player 1 until too late.

I would hope in this scenario something could be worked out by the GM's giving player 1 the looted item, even though it could've been an unintentional "ninja loot".

kaev
06-20-2015, 08:14 PM
Of course a scenario like this can happen, and probably has many times.

Player 1: kills the mob with his main and the item drops with no one in the zone. . . then logs out.
Player 2: logs in while Player 1 is transitioning to their alt

Player 2 doesn't see anyone else in the zone and comes across the corpse with no one else in site. The corpse is still locked most likely.

If player 1's alt is not there in the zone (theoretically traveling to the corpse) when the timer expires Player 2 can then loot the corpse.
I am not saying it is Player 2's item, but he/she did not know the item was claimed rightfully by Player 1 until too late.

I would hope in this scenario something could be worked out by the GM's giving player 1 the looted item, even though it could've been an unintentional "ninja loot".

The way you work it out is by not ninja'ing the corpse in the first place.

If it's not your kill, it's not your loot. There's nothing subtle or hard to understand there.

Tenlaar
06-20-2015, 10:28 PM

Yeah, pretty sure he meant if you don't have another person there with you to keep claim on the corpse/loot.

Gain
06-20-2015, 11:10 PM
You could have a friend click on the corpse (assuming they were in the group for the kill) and lock the corpse down while you log on to your alt.

Clark
06-21-2015, 03:45 AM

Troy
06-21-2015, 12:12 PM
yeah, methinks the OP just revealed more than he intended about what he sometimes does. Buff bot much?

But is this really true, a killed mob's loot belongs to the player's account, not the char that did the kill?

I did not know that, but if that is the p99 policy, that makes ONE BOXING much more flexible, and is refreshingly nice policy. Because yeah, sometimes you want to camp an item for an alt, and if this is the policy here, that makes it a no problem issue. Just camp to the other char, no worries.

Is it boxing to have one account at character select and another actually in the world?

If not, one could at least greatly minimize the time spent with no character at the camp by hitting "Enter World" on the alt right as the main finishes camping.

That tactic would be more helpful in doing "drop item on ground" style transfers than this situation though since the corpse timer probably wouldn't be up yet anyway by the time the character switch is complete.

Madbad
06-21-2015, 12:29 PM
I'm pretty sure they just recently released a PSA about keeping toons at char select for quick logging. It is now frowned upon and possibly bannable. Maybe only for pvp purposes though?

Cecily
06-21-2015, 03:08 PM
I think it does the community a service to show that the same situation can be ruled differently by different GMs. One says it's ok, the other says it's not, so do it at your own risk apparently.

Insulting a person because of a proven ruling made by a GM it shitty, by the way.

Ok, I'm not saying that I'm not a shitty person, but encouraging people (using what's most likely an incomplete look at the situation) directly or indirectly to ninja loot is gonna result in some name calling from me. I don't care if Lord Rogean himself comes to this thread and say's it is cool. It's not, and it's up to the community to enforce our own code of conduct regardless of what is and is not "technically" legal.

fiveeauxfour
06-21-2015, 03:11 PM
Ok, I'm not saying that I'm not a shitty person...

"I'm n̶o̶t̶ saying that I'm n̶o̶t̶ a shitty person..."

those "not's" cancel out, ya know =P

Ravager
06-21-2015, 05:29 PM
Ok, I'm not saying that I'm not a shitty person, but encouraging people (using what's most likely an incomplete look at the situation) directly or indirectly to ninja loot is gonna result in some name calling from me. I don't care if Lord Rogean himself comes to this thread and say's it is cool. It's not, and it's up to the community to enforce our own code of conduct regardless of what is and is not "technically" legal.

There would be no raid classes and rules if this was remotely possible.

Cecily
06-21-2015, 05:51 PM
That's not completely true. Even at the low standards I hold for you all, I think you can manage to refrain from ninjaing gear.

kaev
06-21-2015, 07:44 PM
That's not completely true. Even at the low standards I hold for you all, I think you can manage to refrain from ninjaing gear.

play nice here, rnf needs help tho

Spyder73
06-22-2015, 03:13 PM
If you could loot corpses there's would be trolls in sky looting shit all the time. Absolutely can't ninja a corpse

Coridan
06-23-2015, 09:44 AM
Yeah but that's the whole point of the timer. Pretty certain on live back in the day it was always once the timer expires it's FFA.

Personally the kind of behavior of camping something with your high level char so you can twink your alt with no-drop stuff is pretty damn lame anyway. Especially people doing it to get their alts epics

Champion_Standing
06-23-2015, 10:07 AM
Yeah but that's the whole point of the timer. Pretty certain on live back in the day it was always once the timer expires it's FFA.

Personally the kind of behavior of camping something with your high level char so you can twink your alt with no-drop stuff is pretty damn lame anyway. Especially people doing it to get their alts epics

Still not as lame as camping them to sell the mq

Coridan
06-23-2015, 10:41 AM
No argument from me. I think MQs should be banned or made impossible.

Melizar
06-23-2015, 10:56 AM

That was the rule back on live and it should be the rule on P99. The corpse timer isn't there to twink out your alts. It's there to free up server lag.

That said, I ask before I loot a rotting corpse, as I read the rules. However; if no one else is in the zone (/who all, and I'm the only one there) and the timer is at 10 seconds or less, I will safely assume it's abandoned and I'm sure as hell looting it.

Denswen
06-23-2015, 10:58 AM
So to start, thank you to everyone who has taken time to post your thoughts on this. I honestly didn't expect this conversation to get quite so big (thought it was a pretty open and shut question).

My current understanding/takeaway is that if you want to use one character to kill for another character, you should be able to expect to loot the item on your other character, though you run the risk of losing the camp (which makes perfect sense). It seems like it is a good idea to inform those in the immediate vicinity and perhaps the zone that you are logging to another character to loot the corpse, and that you are claiming it. It would also be a good idea to have your second character camped at the kill site, if at all possible.

Interestingly enough, I am not killing for a lower level character. The opposite, in fact. I am planning on using a lower level Ranger to track/kill for my higher level Wizard. The Wizard is more than capable of killing the mob on his own, but not having track is a large limitation for an outdoor pathing spawn that can spawn in multiple locations.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts, and see you in game.