PDA

View Full Version : When did we start using the term 'raid'?

XDrake
10-25-2010, 07:55 AM
I am not sure if EQ was the place where the term 'raid' was invented, but I don't remember using it early in the game.

Our first 'battle' or 'guild event' was when our guild hit Mistmoore. We were two groups of 20s and got our asses handed to us when we tried to get into the castle. =^.^=

I think I first heard raid somewhere in mid-classic.

quellren
10-25-2010, 09:56 AM
I remember using it in UO (dragon raids), so it's gaming application pre-dates EQ.
Honestly, it's almost impossible to keep terms straight in regards to when they became part of gaming language. I don't really think it matters.
Wasn't there almost a meta-physical fistfight a while back over the use of threat vs. aggro?

Estu
10-25-2010, 10:04 AM
I find 'twink' more interesting since it presumably originates from the term for a young gay man but in MMOs is no longer used as a pejorative (usually). It's as though people first called lowbie MMO players with super gear gay, and then those MMO players just decided to own it, like African-Americans with the N-word.

azeth
10-25-2010, 10:05 AM
I find 'twink' more interesting since it presumably originates from the term for a young gay man but in MMOs is no longer used as a pejorative (usually).

I call my alts "traps" :P

Fawqueue
10-25-2010, 10:46 AM
I remember using it in UO (dragon raids), so it's gaming application pre-dates EQ.
Honestly, it's almost impossible to keep terms straight in regards to when they became part of gaming language. I don't really think it matters.
Wasn't there almost a meta-physical fistfight a while back over the use of threat vs. aggro?

Touching on this, it's especially hard because the terminology back at the time varied from server to server. After 10+ years of MMOing, we've come to a consensus on most things, but back then I wouldn't have been suprised to see one server calling it a raid, while the next calls it "the thing where we get 30 guys together and do cool shit". I know on the Tribunal, in '99, it was called a raid from the beginning, so I would assume it does pre-date EverQuest.

ShivanAngel
10-25-2010, 11:57 AM
There was a thread on the EQ live forums back in the day about what do you guys call XXXXXXXXXX camp on your server.

It was amazing to see how many different terms there were for each camp.