PDA

View Full Version : best class for player with no EQ experience?

godbox
07-04-2015, 11:29 PM
Hey p99ers. Returning after 2 years and trying to introduce some friends to the server. I played EQ at release and so I knew what I was getting into in terms of difficulty and learning curve when I returned to P99. For someone who hasn't ever played EQ what would the best class to learn on? I will be babysitting on my 60 shaman so theres a lot of room for error but I don't want to overload him with stuff while he learns about the game and explores the world. I am leaning towards monk because its simple mechanics and I wouldn't need to break the bank to get it reasonably geared.

uolen
07-04-2015, 11:58 PM
I would say monk is pretty simple, but if you want the guy to play and enjoy the game, make sure he picks a class he will enjoy. We all had first chars and we didn't pick them because they were easy. At least I did not.

Gimp
07-05-2015, 12:04 AM
Any melee is pretty straight forward

Cecily
07-05-2015, 12:07 AM
Casters aren't very hard to figure out either.

Lojik
07-05-2015, 12:17 AM
Cleric is simplest, but let's face it eq is pretty simple so they'd probably want a more fun class. Monk probably good suggestion, rogue maybe a good mix of simple and fun.

Pipip
07-05-2015, 12:32 AM
Magician. It's probably more fun than most melees for someone with no eq experience, it's easy, and you don't have to give him squat for gear to make him effective

Nuggie
07-05-2015, 01:43 AM
Put him as an enchanter or shaman. He will thank you later.

webrunner5
07-05-2015, 03:07 AM
Magician. It's probably more fun than most melees for someone with no eq experience, it's easy, and you don't have to give him squat for gear to make him effective

What he says. About as simple of a class to play there is once you figure what pet to use at what times. :D

Bboboo
07-05-2015, 05:07 AM
Druid.

It is impossible to die outdoors unless you agro a caster and 34-mid 50s is auto pilot. Add in plat for ports which will be a lot for a new player and a good way of getting started. Then you have a Port/Buff bot for friends and its easy to do drop transfers for alts, pretty much allowing banking/merchanting anywhere. Easily a good first class even if you don't really enjoy it or plan to take it that far, the class boils down to low level root rotting for afk exp or charming till you can quad. Quading is easily the fastest and easiest way of soloing non twinked. Charming would probably take some getting used to but it's probably the best class to learn it on due to having SoW and snare. If they plan on taking up necro or enchanter later they will have some experience charming too.

For the long term... I usually hate Druid classes in MMOs but it was my first class to 60 because it's super easy to get. Being able to easily help friends out with buffs/ports/transfers is such a nice convenience. Also if your friend plans on duoing with you or other people (which is usually faster exp), it's always nice to seal the deal by saying you can port said duo partner close to you. 50+ you can start PLing for a little bit more plat income as well. It's not much of a grouping class which is sort of a downside if your friend is into 6manning, but you can still do it, most people are twinked anyway and group makeups don't really matter much when there's like 3 fungis in the group.

myriverse
07-05-2015, 09:29 AM
100% certain that back in the day people played almost any old class without much problem. Even non-traditional gamers enjoyed the heck out of EQ because of its ease.

But yeah, Druids are one of the top.

Pyrrhica
07-05-2015, 12:31 PM
Druids are ideal for new players because of their versatility in xp'ing, ease of farming/porting for tips, and ability to explore the world easily.

B4EQWASCOOL
07-05-2015, 12:34 PM
If you're gonna babysit with a high level shaman, I recommended a warrior. You can't get much more simple.