PDA

View Full Version : Advice/opinions on course of action regarding character

Massack
07-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Hey guys, sooo i feel like i kinda stuck myself between a rock and a hard place but wondering what you guys think i should do.

So here is my story: I started a while back with some friends whom i figured wouldn't have as much play time as myself so i made a troll shadowknight (yay regen). I started to get ahead of them and so i decided "heY! i'll take up smithing and work the economy a bit to fund it and that will give them a chance to catch up and get me some nice armor" they never did and quit so i'm the only one left... At this point my troll sk is level 28 and has 162 skill in smithing... so i was like "ohh, let me make some cultural armor!" ... that's when it hit me. I'm a troll shadowknight with innoruuk as my diety and trolls don't have a cultural armor and the ogre armor doesn't have an Innoruuk version... SO now i'm like is there somethign i am missing? another smithed thing i could make? should i just stop smithing because it can't help me beyond fine plate and look to upgrade from drops? or is there another option that i haven't thought of? I'd just remake if i wasn't already so invested in this character. Hoping you guys have some suggestions or opinions.

-Snorgle

Honest
07-06-2015, 12:27 PM
If you plan on doing quests in Velious the tradeskill is still useful for some combines

nyclin
07-06-2015, 01:20 PM
If you plan on doing quests in Velious the tradeskill is still useful for some combines

Other than this there's not much else to be done with Smithing as a Troll. The racial recipes aren't in game yet (not sure when that will happen), and you can't craft any of the other races' armor.

Antonian Javelins are nice to have for pullers and are trivial at ~115 skill. I think the shawl and ring quests in Velious also require some Smithing combines but I'm not sure on the specifics.

Shodo
07-06-2015, 01:20 PM
As far as upgrades go, look to buying/farming drops. While some race/class combos get awesome cultural armor stat-wise, most of it ends up being just for looks. Definitely not something to re-roll over though, especially considering the thousands of plat you have to invest just to be able to make it (and the thousands more spent crafting it).

If you still want smithing to be important/useful for RP or other reasons, you have a few options.
You can use it for some Velious quests like the coldain prayer shawl & ring quests.
You can craft banded & fine steel plate, sell them to players, and use the profits to purchase gear upgrades.
You can pretend to be a vendor/quest NPC and craft banded mail & forged weapons for newbies in exchange for things like LQ pelts & spiderling silk.

Regardless, it would just be for fun. If you're wanting the best gear around, cultural isn't really for you unless you're a dwarf or a half-elf bard.

kaev
07-06-2015, 01:43 PM
Hey guys, sooo i feel like i kinda stuck myself between a rock and a hard place but wondering what you guys think i should do.

So here is my story: I started a while back with some friends whom i figured wouldn't have as much play time as myself so i made a troll shadowknight (yay regen). I started to get ahead of them and so i decided "heY! i'll take up smithing and work the economy a bit to fund it and that will give them a chance to catch up and get me some nice armor" they never did and quit so i'm the only one left... At this point my troll sk is level 28 and has 162 skill in smithing... so i was like "ohh, let me make some cultural armor!" ... that's when it hit me. I'm a troll shadowknight with innoruuk as my diety and trolls don't have a cultural armor and the ogre armor doesn't have an Innoruuk version... SO now i'm like is there somethign i am missing? another smithed thing i could make? should i just stop smithing because it can't help me beyond fine plate and look to upgrade from drops? or is there another option that i haven't thought of? I'd just remake if i wasn't already so invested in this character. Hoping you guys have some suggestions or opinions.

-Snorgle

I feel your pain man. On live back in the day my Half-elf paladin had 184 skill in blacksmithing when the much anticipated and grotesquely misnamed cultural armor was introduced ("Hey Verant, cultural is not a synonym for racial you sad ignorant twats!") Others have posted the sad details of how little value you can get out of your skill (altho the RP idea could be fun, of course.) If you like the character, play on and don't sweat it. If you want to play a different tank make him a set of armor and twink!

Oh, one wrong detail above, Antonian Javelins are racial smithing and can be crafted only by humans, they are made in the Royal Forge in Qeynos. Ordinary javelins can be made by any blacksmith in any normal forge.

nyclin
07-06-2015, 02:20 PM
Oh, one wrong detail above, Antonian Javelins are racial smithing and can be crafted only by humans, they are made in the Royal Forge in Qeynos. Ordinary javelins can be made by any blacksmith in any normal forge.

Updated the Blacksmithing wiki page with a note on these.. it listed these under the "Basic recipe list"

Tahlvin
07-06-2015, 02:21 PM
If you ever need a group and I am online - look me up. I am a 30 Druid and would not mind a duo with a tank!

kaev
07-06-2015, 03:23 PM
Updated the Blacksmithing wiki page with a note on these.. it listed these under the "Basic recipe list"

Yet another reason to play a human (i.e. master race) monk! :cool:

webrunner5
07-06-2015, 09:42 PM
Well I hate to be a spoilsport, but you pretty much have wasted a LOT OF TIME. Give it up, and just level the thing after Velious comes out. :p Be a Tank, not a Armor Maker. :D

Massack
07-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Thanks all for the advice! and i'll keep an eye out for you talvin