PDA

View Full Version : Early Monk Weapon Analysis

hablabba
10-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Did some rudimentary number crunching just to confirm a few assumptions I've made in regards to monk weaponry in classic. Info was based on the fist damage tables from Monkly Business, taking into account the primary hand weapon damage bonus (starting at lvl 28 you get +1 damage bonus every 3 levels).

There's info in the library thread about how to calculate DPS so I won't get into that here, just reporting my findings.

So, not surprisingly, Mod Rod > EBM > Fists in either hand from 1-29.

1- 29: Mod rod main and offhand an EBM

At 30, Mod Rod > Fists > EBM for either hand. So sell your EBM's at 30. Note for min maxers I did notice at level 34 and only level 34 (due to damage bonus) the EBM does outpace fists in your main hand (not your offhand) but only by a very very marginal factor. Not worth the weight in any case. Mod rod is still the best main hand also so no real reason to use an EBM except to not be tied to a mage. And this is irrelevant if you /duel and preserve a corpse every time you log like I do :P

30 - 34: Mod Rod main, Fists offhand. Fists are pretty close to mod rod at this point so you could do fine with ditching the mod rod since your fists are magical at 30. Mod rod is still better by about 5%.

35+: Fists > * in either hand.

tl;dr version:
1- 29: Mod rod main, EBM offhand
30 - 34: Mod rod main, fists offhand
35+: Fists in both hands

Are there any other options for young monks? Also the excel data chart is available if anyone wants.

Messianic
10-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Knuckle Dusters.

Contact
10-29-2010, 01:52 PM
Aren't those from Kunark?

Messianic
10-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Aren't those from Kunark?

Yeah, but I just wanted to throw them in for fun.

guineapig
10-29-2010, 02:09 PM
Whitened Treant Fists

Well you can't get them before level 46 so it's not for a "young monk" but they are classic:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=143

(In classic they are 1hb not hand to hand)

hablabba
10-29-2010, 04:00 PM
I remember hearing about 1hb skill capping higher than h2h. Was this just in Kunark and just 51-59? I thought they capped the same at 60.

Moot point I guess since RoK itemization favors weapons and I believe fists came back into style in SoV with h2h based weaponry.

Troy
10-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Sharkbone Warhammer 8 26 magic 1hb, not lore and doesn't disappear when you log.

oldhead
11-03-2010, 08:10 PM
if i remember correctly... knuckle dusters = level 50 fists.

Omnimorph
11-04-2010, 07:32 AM
KD = human level 60 fists iirc (been a long time since i played my monk)

Human monks fists were better than ikky's slightly. When you equipped epic i think your fists became 9/16 or so instead of 14/28.

Trying to remember these numbers from memory from 9 years ago so... if they're wrong it's not my fault.

FatMagic
11-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Hab,

I'd be interested in your Excel chart... or if you have it in Google Doc just share the link. My monk currently has 2x EBM's, so I can probably use those until 35 and then sell them for just my fists! Awesomesauce - thanks!

hablabba
11-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Here it is in google docs

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ap-QxnTqiT1LdEFtRjQ5czJUTXY4bHByZW82U3dEYmc&hl=en&authkey=CJ_k04AM#gid=0

hablabba
11-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Hab,

I'd be interested in your Excel chart... or if you have it in Google Doc just share the link. My monk currently has 2x EBM's, so I can probably use those until 35 and then sell them for just my fists! Awesomesauce - thanks!

Based on my numbers you'd want to sell them at level 30. Will save you a good chunk of weight too.

FatMagic
11-04-2010, 10:26 AM
At 30, got it - thanks for the info.. I love this number crunching stuff ;D
And thanks for the spreadsheet!

Yah I'm definitely overweight right now, not deriving any weight benefit at all. I wonder how much that really affects the monk? Do you happen to know? If you're over the "limit" how badly does it affect you? Just curious.

hablabba
11-04-2010, 10:57 AM
At 30, got it - thanks for the info.. I love this number crunching stuff ;D
And thanks for the spreadsheet!

Yah I'm definitely overweight right now, not deriving any weight benefit at all. I wonder how much that really affects the monk? Do you happen to know? If you're over the "limit" how badly does it affect you? Just curious.

This is from a post on monkly business.

Weight Restriction

The first issue is our weight limit. The following is our existing weight allowances:

Level 1-14: <15 No Penalty
Level 15-29: <16 No Penalty
Level 30-44: <17 No Penalty
Level 45-50: <18 No Penalty
Level 51-54: <19 No Penalty
Level 55-59: <21 No Penalty
Level 60: <25 No Penalty.

Passing the weight limit for the given level range reduces the inherent AC bonus that you receive as a monk. Prior to level 20, monks should not worry about the penalty, as it is negligible. After level 20, is when the penalty becomes annoying as our AC loss increases for each WT over the limit. At first the loss is minimal, but as you level that penalty turns into a severe AC loss.

---

Seems to be true anecdotally. I never cared about weight in my teens and tanked just fine and now that I'm approaching 30 it seems to be impacting AC and tankability a lot more. I can still MT in groups just fine but if I'm looting and get to 30 stones I definitely start to notice it

Engraverwilliam
11-04-2010, 11:32 AM
I've been keeping it below 15 as much as possible as soon as I learned about it just so that i am always mindful of it. If i am out hunting and I get a little overweight, I don't freak out, but I at least come out of the gate weighing as little as possible. Currently 10 when Ive hit the vendor.