PDA

View Full Version : plane of sky and velious?

Sadre Spinegnawer
07-09-2015, 12:45 AM
Plane of Sky is a rite of passage, and a good gateway to raiding. IMO, if you can't run your guild through PoS, you can't eq yet, plus you miss one of the early high points of the quirky game design that makes classic eq unmatched for fun, learning strats, and learning not to aggro NPC's.

Does Sky still retain it's value after Velious? I hope so, for the reasons I mentioned. It is, truly, a great "gateway" raiding zone for guilds.

Will it still be valuable? I know some epics are associated with it, but is PoS still gonna be a gateway raid zone for up and coming guilds on p99? Would be a damn shame for Velious to make PoS obsolete -- it should be on everyone's "must do" list.

Colgate
07-09-2015, 12:48 AM
on a blue server? keeper of souls is the only thing that comes to mind as staying relevant unless you really give a shit about stuff like.. shaman fd ring

on a red server, most of the zone stays relevant

Juevento
07-09-2015, 01:38 AM
I am sure 41% haste belts are always appreciated. Also just speaking from experience most of the rogue stuff is still quality gear in Velious. I suspect the same is true for other classes as well

eisley
07-09-2015, 03:22 AM
a good question to ask yourself is, "does this have irreplacable items?"

hate/fear - not so much. farming these for armor is much less valuable use of time when Velious is released

sky - plenty of items that are not replaced in Velious come from sky. ranger cloak, shaman ring, haste belts, so forth. People want the loot, so it will die, although it'll likely slow down for a period til the novelty dies down a bit.

Freakish
07-09-2015, 09:02 AM
CH Neck, FD ring, ranger cloak, necro epic cloak, magician epic crown. Then the gear with all the stats. I can't see myself wanting to do sky each week after raiding velious is the problem.

Daldaen
07-09-2015, 09:15 AM
CH Neck, FD ring, ranger cloak, necro epic cloak, magician epic crown. Then the gear with all the stats. I can't see myself wanting to do sky each week after raiding velious is the problem.

This. Add to it the 41% Haste belts for Tanks, Monks and Rogues(sort of). Each class also gets about 1 really solid stat item that is difficult to replace in Velious. Druids get the shoulders for example that are tough to replace.

The problem becomes the sky rotation I think. I'm guessing a large chunk of the guilds on the current rotation will cease raiding Sky for the beginning of Velious. Some may stop raiding sky entirely. Some may return at a reduced capacity of once a month or less.

However Sky isn't friendly to that sort of reduced raiding amount. You would have to rekey your corpses 2-3 times before you raid it again, and trying to do it without preexisting keys limits you to 24 characters or just lots of corpse summoning.

I'll be intrigued to see what each guild elects to do regarding Sky.

In my Daldaen-approved-Utopian view, the sky rotation will cease to exist but guilds will have a dialogue of their intentions with sky. This would allow a more classic raiding experience. So Taken may suggest, "Hey we are looking to raid Sky from Tuesday-Thursday during PMs", and other guilds would respect that and not raid sky during those 3 days that month. We would be able to camp up there and keep our keys for 2 days while we farm. Then not come back for another month or two and do it again. It saves port stones up and down and the need to key corpse, which is basically how all guild's did sky back in the day.

webrunner5
07-09-2015, 10:37 AM
Good luck with ANY high end raiding in Kunark zones the first 3 months when Velious hits. :p

Swish
07-09-2015, 10:42 AM
I'm guessing a large chunk of the guilds on the current rotation will cease raiding Sky for the beginning of Velious. Some may stop raiding sky entirely. Some may return at a reduced capacity of once a month or less.

I don't think it's guilds per se that want to stop, just people sick of doing it every week reducing numbers because they think they'll be camping Lodi for a shield (lol) or otherwise cashing in on Velious camps (lol).

dafier
07-09-2015, 10:43 AM
hate/fear - not so much. farming these for armor is much less valuable use of time when Velious is released

Not that I fully disagree, but Hate and Fear can be cleared very fast (especially Fear) and you can get valuable resist gear from the armor dropped. Since they are pretty much cake to clear, I think they are VERY relevant in order to build stats and resists so you are not a hindrance for some raid mobs in Velious.

Velious (with the exception of NTOV) is mostly MR, FR and CR important. There are a few dragons in NTOV which are PR or DR or both based. Those...suck.

eisley
07-09-2015, 02:23 PM
I'd say Velious is more like, no resist at all. The era of AoE dodging

anyhow, hate and fear will still die, but point remains: sky has irreplaceable gear, hate/fear do not, thus once things settle I expect sky to be a part of our lives forever, sadly. I think if this game has proven anything, it is that if it drops loot, people will kill it. forever.

Crawdad
07-09-2015, 10:13 PM
Once Velious came out we rarely had time to run PoSky.. I imagine it'll be the same here. If you're in the running/trying to be top dog/are the top, there are just too many better targets to spend your time on, and better places to spend your time gearing up/farming than Sky. On the opposite end, more casual guilds will have a great time with less demand for Sky and upgraded Hate/Fear.

Velious (with the exception of NTOV) is mostly MR, FR and CR important. There are a few dragons in NTOV which are PR or DR or both based. Those...suck.
Like eisley said, Velious (ToV in particular) has so many corners that resists aren't going to matter as much. I can't remember any big fights where walls aren't your friend actually.. ...Klandicar and Sontalak? Been 14 years, but I can't think of any indoor targets where corners aren't your buddy.

Lojik
07-09-2015, 10:56 PM
Aint nothing gonna change, SSDE

Briscoe
07-11-2015, 10:19 AM
Will 24 hour corpse rots be implemented? If so, that will be what kills Sky raiding more so than Velious.

kaev
07-11-2015, 01:51 PM
Will 24 hour corpse rots be implemented? If so, that will be what kills Sky raiding more so than Velious.

that would surely push people to do things like spend a few days straight doing Sky, rather than the weekly rotation we have here now

Daldaen
07-11-2015, 01:52 PM
Wasn't it 24 hours online time? Which would not impact a huge number of people I don't think, especially since half this server has a different account for each character.

Colgate
07-11-2015, 01:58 PM
judging by these posts, i guess the guys on blue don't really understand how to efficiently raid sky?

Daldaen
07-11-2015, 02:06 PM
judging by these posts, i guess the guys on blue don't really understand how to efficiently raid sky?

Its actually one of the few areas we are able to agree and getting everyone to be inclusive/peaceful via rotating days. Its quite nice in its current incarnation.

But come Velious it will be different and probably we will see the efficient multi-day raiding you refer to.

Pint
07-11-2015, 02:24 PM
You could just keep a spare puller perma keyed and bring everything to 2. I'm not sure ill want to turn a 2-3hr clear into a multi day event.

Colgate
07-11-2015, 03:15 PM
Its actually one of the few areas we are able to agree and getting everyone to be inclusive/peaceful via rotating days. Its quite nice in its current incarnation.

But come Velious it will be different and probably we will see the efficient multi-day raiding you refer to.

that's not what i meant

you guys don't just pull everything to island 1 and give zero fucks about keying and keeping keys on an entire raidforce?

empire does the entire zone in around an hour this way

fiveeauxfour
07-11-2015, 03:18 PM
you guys pull isle 5 trash spirocs to isle 1?

Colgate
07-11-2015, 03:20 PM
yes

everything in the zone

fiveeauxfour
07-11-2015, 03:26 PM
wow you guys pull all of pos in 1 hour...how many people do you have show up to a sky raid?

also, damn thats gotta cost alot of plat

Colgate
07-11-2015, 03:29 PM
we skip all the trash outside of islands 1, 2, 6

we usually pull a few waves of spirocs though for the droppable quest pieces

typically around 30-40 people show up, though

Colgate
07-11-2015, 03:32 PM
actually no, usually around 40, sometimes upper 40s, it varies though

Pint
07-11-2015, 06:45 PM
Tbh even bringing it all to 1 you're still waiting 90 mins and clearing it at the same speed as blue. maybe a bit faster if you're only doing 1 lord/sister.

Colgate
07-11-2015, 06:49 PM
nah we prepull keeper trigger

infinitely easier/cheaper to pull to 1 and not worry about keying and maintaining an entire raid

fiveeauxfour
07-11-2015, 06:50 PM
a soul carrier -> KoS = 90 min minimum

Colgate
07-11-2015, 08:30 PM
yeah pre pull an hour before raid with 3 people