PDA

View Full Version : What do you think the worst starting zone experience of classic/kunark is?

TarukShmaruk
07-09-2015, 02:31 PM
My first character in '99 (the time, not the server) was an Ogre Shaman.

Feerrot was dank and empty and frankly boring. The little bit of exploration I had just took me to CT where I got owned by lizards I couldn't kill.

Innothule wasn't much better, and the game didn't really open up until going to South Ro and ultimately Neriak.

Having played other starting character experiences I have to say Faydark and Qeynos were the best.

Never experienced Odus or Halas so I can't speak to that.

Ele
07-09-2015, 02:37 PM
Odus easily.

Tiewon Shu
07-09-2015, 02:50 PM
Odus easily.

^^ This 100%. Paineel however, has a nice 1-5 newbie zone.

Pint
07-09-2015, 02:59 PM
Definitely odus, no population and bad lighting aside there is this dumb gap from like 6-11 where they just expect you to magically find exp without traveling across the world

webrunner5
07-09-2015, 03:01 PM
Odus easily.

Yeah I agree. I have never been a big fan of Everfrost either. I know there are a good amount of mobs there but slow going, and a LONG ways away from the EC Tunnel. :eek:

dafier
07-09-2015, 03:10 PM
So....I disagree. I started a Erudite Mage.

The starting money and xp kills in Toxx right outside the city was beyond awesome, especially when I got my first pet at level 4.

Level 5 was the drop off though. So I got a pity/free port from Toxx to BB and stayed in Gfay until....12ish. (orc belts and shoulders xp is beyond awesome). I am getting off topic.

Anyway, Toxx was the best from 1 to 5. NO one was there. There were TONS of mobs (Kobolds) who drop decent money and items to sell.

EDIT:

Not to mention the random few quests you can do, THAT NO ONE DOES!

DevGrousis
07-09-2015, 03:30 PM
I would say that Toxx was actually really good, because of the plentiful mobs, the Kobold camps were breakable at low level, so you didn't need groups, and Erudin is really cool and unique.

Only problem is that nothing can compete with Orc Hill, and CB for that 8-15 grind

Rhambuk
07-09-2015, 03:43 PM
The feerrott, no mobs huge open space very dark.

azeth
07-09-2015, 03:45 PM
Excluding Odus I'm going with Nektolus forest. Sparse mobs, danger everywhere.

for best I'm going with Field of Bone, Misty Thicket and WFP/EC as a 2nd runner up due to convenience of buffs at the tunnel.

Morlaeth
07-09-2015, 03:45 PM
Swamp.

Screw that water.

Voland
07-09-2015, 04:04 PM
Mobs outside Freeport and Qeynos are easiest to find, no trees or hills in the way.
For atmosphere, I would go with Misty.

rotenvok
07-09-2015, 05:31 PM
Not the worst zone, but a bad one: innothule swamp. No people for group, only 3 classes, most shamans. You only can walk safely in borders, you can get lost very easily if you go around without care

Best zone: field of bone, lizards are good people and you will find groups in the pit and kurns

ObooReturns
07-09-2015, 05:57 PM
Definitely odus, no population and bad lighting aside there is this dumb gap from like 6-11 where they just expect you to magically find exp without traveling across the world

Toxx is underrated. Plenty of mobs, plenty of room, and there are several vendors in houses in the woods.

The real problem with odus, as you have identified, is that once you hit level 6 its hard to find exp mobs, and after 8 it is basically impossible. Before kerra isle was redesigned, it launched as appropriate for lower level players. If you played as an erudite on a new server back then, there were actually people who would group there and camps were set up. It was redesigned in 2000-2001 and the result is the lowest visited exp zone in the old world. Now you need to be mid-high teens to fight the entrance mobs.

Everfrost is really bad. Its about as far as any city can be from a port spot and its confusing and dangerous.

I never tried misty thicket on live, but on p99 I tried two halfing characters and it really is the best newb zone. Town and bank 10 sec away, vendors in area, druid port 30 sec from town, and wall guards to cut the zone in half. It owns.

Pipip
07-09-2015, 06:34 PM
Toxx is bad also because a number of the noob quests require faction with the Cleric and Paladin guilds, and you can't raise that faction if you're not part of the Cleric and Paladin guilds. I also remember the zone being pretty empty of mobs back in the day, so empty that I rerolled to another race. But I tried it here, and there are a ton of kobolds. I don't know if my memory is wrong, or if the mob density was increased.

Aside from Toxx, I wasn't a big fan of Innothule. The swamps are hard to navigate. But at least it makes up for that with the proximity to Guk.

Swish
07-09-2015, 06:38 PM
I never liked Halas/Everfrost as a place to start in. If the confined mazey feel isn't enough, the poor sight you have to see those asshole lyricists is :p

There were way more barbs on live, they're a rare breed here.

Endorra
07-09-2015, 06:42 PM
I never had trouble doing Odus to 6 and boating off to QH. Feerrott was unbearable. Empty, dark, confusing, with a freaking assassin who would murder you repeatedly out of nowhere. To this day I don't roll ogres. Yeesh.

captnamazing
07-09-2015, 07:00 PM
innothule is the worst imo. hard to find consistent mobs, fucking shitty water everywhere...

mr_jon3s
07-09-2015, 07:33 PM
BBM. For a non twink and noob I think its a hard zone. Bunch of roamers and if you don't know about the bone chip quest its slow going. Also feels like most people leave to go to gfay so less groups.

Pipip
07-09-2015, 07:38 PM
I actually like Butcherblock. It has some of the best visibility of any noob zones

Madbad
07-09-2015, 07:40 PM
I love and hate BBM

Your starting bind point is right on top of a like a lvl 4 kragling.

Fun!

Bboboo
07-09-2015, 08:04 PM
A bunch of the starting areas are garbage, you can tell they learned their lesson with Field of Bone.

kaev
07-09-2015, 08:56 PM
A bunch of the starting areas are garbage, you can tell they learned their lesson with Field of Bone.

Compared to Everfrost, Field of Bone is like easymode on steroids. But newb zones shouldn't be user hostile, so that's more a comment on Everfrost than FoB.

I loved WFP+EC & GFay+CB on live, here I don't care for either. If I made an untwinked toon now it'd probably be in Qeynos.

jarshale
07-09-2015, 09:15 PM
I really like the starting area of Erudites. Erudin/Paineel and Tox are very atmospheric. Grobb is probably the worst.

sacman08
07-09-2015, 09:53 PM
The first character I made was a Half Elf Druid and after running out of Surefall a Gnoll pup killed me. the zone was pretty full so it was hard to find spots to level (everyone was a druid). I keep blowing plat on weapons and armor that I couldn't use so I was always broke. I started grouping with a cleric and wizard and they out leveled me as I kept dying being their "tank". Eventually I deleted that character and moved to another server.

Tasslehofp99
07-09-2015, 10:13 PM
Toxx is the only newbie zone aside from misty thicket that I thought you could gain coin fast enough to buy all of your spells as you level.

Everfrost sucks, but for a first timer to EQ that is an awesome starting point/journey to the rest of civilization.

slowpoke68
07-10-2015, 12:47 AM
On live in 1999, the very first character I made was a Barbarian warrior. This way my first 3D MMO and was coming from the UO overhead view perspective. Didn't know anything about the con system. Just remember running into that maze getting lost over and over and getting killed by everything. Swore I was going to uninstall and try returning the game the next day.

The next day I gave it another try and rolled a monk in freeport. 15 years later and still playing haha.

Worst for a true noob...Halas.

Best ones, Freeport and Kaladim.

Coridan
07-10-2015, 02:11 AM
I think Qeynos is far and away the best, mostly because of all the unique items you can easily get at low levels from small quests and "rare" (not really that rare) drops in the catacombs. Also gnoll fangs are absurdly good xp.

Toxx is my least favorite because I would never want to hunt Kerrans (but Paineel/Warrens is actually pretty good when Warrens opens up), and with Qeynos right next door, it's hard to justify staying in Erudin. The only downside to Qeynos is how isolated it is from the rest of the world. I wonder if they can stick a druid ring in Jaggedpine if/when they ever open that up (the Surefall Glade one wasn't super helpful for letting evils get nearby).

Buellen
07-10-2015, 05:15 AM
Never understood the hate for toxx.

Some realy good money quests.

1. Quellious temple bone chip quest done repeadly nets you some gold , bags , spells (cleric levle 1 's) and some rawhide armor. If you cant do the quest creat a cleric of quellious and drop bonechips bags in a safe spot and load cleric to turn in bonechips. drop all the lots in bags and log in main guy and sell. walla some plat 8)

2. the cap quest you get the caps from the kobold scouts turn them into heretics pets are the hut by river net gems 2 Silver to 20 Plat. chance at magical nifty looking shield.

3. Poacher heads quest Gold spells chance at some tattered medium sized armor.

Expierence:

Move across the river near or around the paineel and you find mobs ranging from 6 to 9th level. Snakes , Spiders , beetles.

Overall a very nice starting zone

Jimjam
07-10-2015, 05:40 AM
East commonlands.

Full of people that need massive twink/buff crutches to badly play a low level character. Auction spamming.

Lacks character of the epic , desolate Everfrost peaks, the scary Feerrott or jolly Misty Thicket (sitting on the edge of being overwhelmed by goblin invasion).

For 1-5 North Ro is pretty sick. Decaying skeletons galore, get kitted out in a set of cloth, loot a rusty 2 handed weapon and 1 hit kill xp mobs, loads of cash loot.

Once done head to EC to buy a new weapon with money then head to kaladim to turn in bone chips then begin crushbone!

mr_jon3s
07-10-2015, 06:54 AM
Never understood the hate for toxx.

Some realy good money quests.

1. Quellious temple bone chip quest done repeadly nets you some gold , bags , spells (cleric levle 1 's) and some rawhide armor. If you cant do the quest creat a cleric of quellious and drop bonechips bags in a safe spot and load cleric to turn in bonechips. drop all the lots in bags and log in main guy and sell. walla some plat 8)

2. the cap quest you get the caps from the kobold scouts turn them into heretics pets are the hut by river net gems 2 Silver to 20 Plat. chance at magical nifty looking shield.

3. Poacher heads quest Gold spells chance at some tattered medium sized armor.

Expierence:

Move across the river near or around the paineel and you find mobs ranging from 6 to 9th level. Snakes , Spiders , beetles.

Overall a very nice starting zone

I will have to check this out next time I play. The only time I tried making an erudite was during classic, I couldn't see shit got lost and died.

Jimjam
07-10-2015, 09:11 AM
Tox forest actually featured early on in Zelda: Link's Awakening

Sajuuk
07-10-2015, 10:35 AM
Love Barbs, hated Everfrost.

Raev
07-10-2015, 10:47 AM
I played an Erudite magician on Live. It was unbelievably dark in there, but eventually I figured out how to turn up the gamma and summon a light source. Kerra was packed with the brightly colored robes of the various Erudites. I remember jumping off the bridge into the river and casting invisibility so the cats couldn't see me :D It seemed logical at the time! I also distinctly remember being annoyed that the L8 enchanter nuke did more damage than the mage nuke. I knew I should have rerolled.

Izzni
07-10-2015, 03:32 PM
The darkness of Odus was incredibly painful back in 2000. Without sense heading it was incredibly easy to get lost at night. You didn't even realize you were lost until you had to make a run for the guards. I remember every day break I would rediscover a bunch of my corpses.

The lack of darkness and the big fat UI compass makes Odus easy mode.

Riotgirl
07-10-2015, 06:10 PM
innothule is the worst imo. hard to find consistent mobs, fucking shitty water everywhere...

Cannot say for definite that it is the absolute worst, but it sure is in contention. The irony is that I moved RG [Inkie] there for 3 levels from 5th for Woven drops - and of course, the goddamn chest piece does not display a graphic texture!

Lots of water - check!
Lots of aggro mobs - check!
Few if any roaming guards - check!
Minimal to no tradeskills drops - check!
Higher level KOS NPCs that will send Trolls to "LOADING. PLEASE WAIT..." - check!

The funniest with the latter is that as an Inkie Inny worshipper I actually wasn't KOS to all of them (except a couple of the Nobles).

Buellen
07-22-2015, 01:02 PM
Just to update my post regard the tox forest leveling.

If you hang out near Paineel entrance you will fight level 5, 6, 7 Skeletons, Spiders, and Gaint snakes.

The Useless Cloth caps HAVE TO be turned into the abandoned heretic pets wanders outside paineel entrance. i believe the two skeleton in tox forest at entrance to paineel are kos to most good erudine toons.

maskedmelon
07-22-2015, 02:57 PM
Toxxulia or Nektulos forest. Both suck. EC is awful too though not a starting zone.

bled12345
07-22-2015, 02:57 PM
WORST newbie zone....

Nektulos, just absolutely god awful.

FAVOURITE newbie zone....

Innothule swamp, close zonelines and guards handy, it's so simple... 1-3, then move up along the wall, 3-5 on froglok island, 5-8 around guk entrance and just inside guk entrance. Plus you get lots of gems, and sellable trash. It's hands down one of the best newbie zones until about level 8 or so. Lots of mobs, and when you need higher level stuff, you just move further up the wall.

bled12345
07-22-2015, 03:00 PM
Honestly surprised by all the inny swamp hate. The newb zone is from grobb entrance to guk entrance. There is ****NO**** point in actually trying to go into the swamp lol, if you actually go towards the centre of the zone it is super awful, but grobb entrance to guk entrance is noobie soloing heaven :D

TarukShmaruk
07-22-2015, 03:13 PM
Nektulos worse than Grobb or Oggok?

I dunno about that - Feerrot has basically nothing..

Ravager
07-22-2015, 03:24 PM
Halas is the worst because of the wandering kos mobs that are ten levels higher than you and look just like decaying skeletons.

curtischoy
07-22-2015, 04:23 PM
I hate Feerrott the most. Hated how the zone looked. It was dark. Not enough mobs to exp. The lizard camps are impossible to break by yourself (or if noobs even with a duo) and so they just become locations of death.

East commonlands.

Full of people that need massive twink/buff crutches to badly play a low level character. Auction spamming.

I never thought of this. But EC is the only newb zone that I have never leveled in. So in some way, I guess it is actually my most hated...I hate it so much I never even used it : )

Favorite newbie zone is butcherblock because that's where I started my main char on live so many many years ago. love the BB to CB beginning of many of my characters. Although I must say BlackBurrow was fun too, I'll have to give it another shot some time.

TarukShmaruk
07-22-2015, 04:36 PM
^

Those fucking lizard camps. They were such a joke - you should be able to do them. You think you can do them. But you can't.

Not unless you had a group of 5 - but where the hell do you get a full group of Ogres?

Feerrot is never anything more than 3 shamans a warrior and maybe a couple of SKs.

Conky
07-22-2015, 07:39 PM
field of bones is the best by far, tons of mobs, lots of noob quests and kurns tower.

indiscriminate_hater
07-22-2015, 08:25 PM
The feerrott, no mobs huge open space very dark.

Dark assassin

Itap
07-22-2015, 08:33 PM
FoB has kurns like WC has Befallen.