PDA

View Full Version : Why can't Wood Elves be Paladins (Verant's reasoning?)

Deckk
07-13-2015, 06:43 AM
Was thinking about it, and I can't think of a better race to have a paladin available to them.

My guess is that it's because cleric doesn't really fit too well with the woodies, and in order to have a paladin you really should have a cleric available. But then half-elves are paladinable with no cleric option, so that blows that theory out of the water. Anyone ever hear why the wooded ones can't be Paladins?

Pscottdai
07-13-2015, 06:54 AM
In the words of my mom when I was growing up, "Because I said so!" believe that was their reasoning.

Deckk
07-13-2015, 06:59 AM
Hah. I like it. I mean, I realize you could ask that question for most class/race combos, barring a few. I just don't understand why the woodies wouldn't have paladin. It makes a ton of sense. More so than erudite.

Tiewon Shu
07-13-2015, 08:22 AM
Because on a role-play perspective, and EQ back then was about role-play first and foremost, wood elves were "barbaric" when compared to high elves. Professions such as paladins and clergy are usually spurned from "blue blood" nobility, something wood elves never assimilated into their culture.

Swish
07-13-2015, 08:28 AM
I don't know much about D&D, but could wood elves be clerics?

Bboboo
07-13-2015, 08:56 AM
Because wood elfs is nature and shit

Ivory
07-13-2015, 09:18 AM
It is like asking why a native wood tribe can't have knights.

Shiny armor and things aren't really in line with agility and living in the forest up in the trees.

But, that doesn't explain why gnomes can't be paladins!

Sure, stat wise they aren't so great as paladins. But they already are clerics and warriors! Later they even added it in....

So obviously they saw their earlier restrictions a mistake.

webrunner5
07-13-2015, 09:20 AM
I would guess because you can't have every class be every race duh. :p I really can't see a Ogre female being a Necro sorry. :eek:

Only the Human race on EQ seems to be able to be the most different classes. Pretty well balanced on them all, but no standout on any in my opinion. :(

Pipip
07-13-2015, 09:27 AM
Wood elves are stealthy and like to climb trees. Dressing up like some knight in heavy shining armor doesn't work so well for them.

Come to think of it, wood elves shouldn't be allowed to be warriors either.

myriverse
07-13-2015, 09:36 AM
But, that doesn't explain why gnomes can't be paladins!
Yeah. That just comes down to Brell Serilis telling Gnomes, "You're not as good as Dwarves... but then Dwarves can't tinker."

timeconsumer
07-13-2015, 09:45 AM
While we're at it, why can't ogres be monks? Would love to see that flying kick animation.

maskedmelon
07-13-2015, 10:48 AM
I am not sure what Verant's reasoning was, but it seems to be something Brad was fond of, VSoH suffered from it too for quite some time until SoE patched it out as part if its blundered attempt to save the game. I promptly rolled a halfling disciple (and monk) and never looked back. Halflings were much better looking in VSoH though. Here I'd have to roll DE monk ^^

Coridan
07-13-2015, 10:57 AM
I like having race class restrictions (although an Ogre bard would rule. Immunity to stuns). There are some that should have been allowed. Half EOF clerics and Halfling Bards should both be things

maskedmelon
07-13-2015, 11:00 AM
I'd prefer to see all the restrictions lifted, but no support added. Want to be a high elf shadow knight? Go for it, but you'll die on zone in and good luck making it to FP or Neriak to train. And good luck getting the faction to do that! Of course, not classic ^^

azeth
07-13-2015, 11:11 AM
i find wood elves being unable to roll paladin & cleric totally logical based only on their lore. I'd actually perceive it as illogical if they could.

mr_jon3s
07-13-2015, 11:15 AM
Why can't half elfs be wizards??? The bandits in Karanas are half elf wizards.

Swish
07-13-2015, 11:18 AM
EQ2 gave everyone the opportunity to pick any race/class combo.... totally killed it for me. I wouldn't trust an ogre with an ice comet, would you?

maskedmelon
07-13-2015, 11:20 AM
EQ2 gave everyone the opportunity to pick any race/class combo.... totally killed it for me. I wouldn't trust an ogre with an ice comet, would you?

Depends which way he's facing...

Not sure I'd trust an Ogre with a great axe much more though.... ^^

*edit*

I thoroughly enjoyed my traitorous dark elf monk (not brawler or whatever the evil ones were called) in EQ2 ^^

mr_jon3s
07-13-2015, 11:26 AM
But ogres are strong they summon a ball of ice the size of a comet and throw it at mobs.

kaev
07-13-2015, 01:22 PM
I have a better question, why can't half-elves be SKs, specificly Innoruuk SKs. They get shat on by everybody, perfect recruits for the "god" of hate. No, instead they must be druids and paladins with their lowest stat as primary, lol.

beyondinfin
07-13-2015, 01:53 PM
Iksar bards! Wood Elf clerics! Dogs and Cats living together...MASS HYSTERIA!

Danth
07-13-2015, 02:05 PM
Wood elves aren't stuffy enough to be Paladins. I believe some of the NPC's in Ocean of Tears hint at the Wood Elves' loose notion of morality.

Half elves are presumably limited in their options by discrimination as much as by their own temperaments.

Dark Elves ought to get bards. They obviously have taverns and dancing and seem to party hard. That's the specific omission I find most curious. On the other end of it, barbarian rogues make no sense beyond VI apparently wanting every race to have a minimum of three classes available. Some musclebound 7 foot tall dude isn't going to be stealthy.

Danth

milsorgen
07-13-2015, 03:05 PM
Because wood elfs is nature and shit

Yup too disordered and chaotic, they don't have structured and regimented worship like HUM and HIE.

Swish
07-13-2015, 03:28 PM
Iksar bards! Wood Elf clerics! Dogs and Cats living together...MASS HYSTERIA!

Where's the option to choose homosexual/heterosexual/bisexual ? :rolleyes:

maskedmelon
07-13-2015, 03:29 PM
Yup too disordered and chaotic, they don't have structured and regimented worship like HUM and HIE.

Funny, those are precisely the situations in which a Paladin excels! ^^

Man0warr
Because Wood Elves can't be Clerics.

It's the same reason High Elves can't be Druids/Rangers.

myriverse
Iksar bards!
Iksar play scales better than anyone! :p

maskedmelon
07-13-2015, 03:33 PM
Because Wood Elves can't be Clerics.

It's the same reason High Elves can't be Druids/Rangers.

Humans can be all threes! How do you explain that? ^^

Itap
07-13-2015, 03:37 PM
Iksar play scales better than anyone! :p

Wow, nice :D

wormed
07-13-2015, 03:56 PM
Wood Elves can't be Paladin's because High Elves are lame enough.

keysmash
07-13-2015, 04:05 PM
Some musclebound 7 foot tall dude isn't going to be stealthy

Why not? Haven't you seen Conan the Barbarian? He's was as much a rogue as he was a warrior. :cool:

For real though, I don't see a viking who fights dirty as a contradiction. In fact, I think it makes a lot of sense. And I think that's more important roleplay-wise than the practicality of them sneaking.

jarshale
07-13-2015, 04:08 PM
Why no iksar rogues? Would have been legit.

Kayso
07-13-2015, 04:15 PM
Where's the option to choose homosexual... bisexual?

Funny, those are precisely the situations in which a Paladin excels! ^^

I skimmed those successive posts really quickly, lumped them together in my mind, and it all made sense.

Evia
07-13-2015, 04:17 PM
Wood Elf as a Paladin makes so much sense to you? Explain to me if you could your thoughts behind it, because to me it makes no sense at all. There are a few class/race combos that I think should be allowed that are not actually in game (Iksar Rogue, Halfling Bard, Gnome Paladin/SK, Halfling Ranger to name a few) but I definitely am a fan of having restrictions on it. EQ2's "any race can play any class" thing kinda killed lore for me.

gnatch
07-13-2015, 04:41 PM
Some musclebound 7 foot tall dude isn't going to be stealthy.

It's called a "thug".

Speaking of barbarians, why no barbarian bard? kilts and bagpipes??? COME ON!

Deckk
07-13-2015, 06:04 PM
Wood Elf as a Paladin makes so much sense to you? Explain to me if you could your thoughts behind it, because to me it makes no sense at all. There are a few class/race combos that I think should be allowed that are not actually in game (Iksar Rogue, Halfling Bard, Gnome Paladin/SK, Halfling Ranger to name a few) but I definitely am a fan of having restrictions on it. EQ2's "any race can play any class" thing kinda killed lore for me.

Just seems to fit. Defenders of good kind of thing. I mean, people got a little carried away with the hyperbole in here (some of it was hilarious, though). I said in the OP that I knew that there has to be class/race restrictions, but to me, a wood elf is a perfect candidate. Yes, they're all about nature (though not necessarily holy). Tunare, however, is a diety in EQ, and is the Goddess of nature. There is a holy tie in.

EQ2's setup is a bit weak, in my opinion, for the reasons listed.

Someone replied with "you have to be able to be a cleric to be a paladin". I addressed this point in the OP. Half-elves can't be cleric. So why is it different for them? Honest question. I know nothing about the lore. And to the point that wood elves don't like shiny things, how does that explain their ability to be a warrior?

It's not like it's a huge deal, either. Just got curious.

DeadlyReza
07-13-2015, 06:24 PM
It's called a "thug".

Speaking of barbarians, why no barbarian bard? kilts and bagpipes??? COME ON!

LOL Barbarians aren't Scottish.... learn your history buddy :P I mean the Romans did call the scottish barbarians but that was more of a noble put down than anything :P

Which actually is quite insulting now that Barbs wear kilts... So i can see how you would make that connection!

My Scottish heritage is quite upset right now!

Anyway, how awesome would a Halfling Bard be! the little hobbits love to sing songs, come on devs, make it happen, and while you are at it, Halfling Ranger and Rogue too please :) p.s Halflings will rule Norrath one day k thx bye

timeconsumer
07-13-2015, 08:11 PM
LOL Barbarians aren't Scottish.... learn your history buddy :P I mean the Romans did call the scottish barbarians but that was more of a noble put down than anything :P

Which actually is quite insulting now that Barbs wear kilts... So i can see how you would make that connection!

My Scottish heritage is quite upset right now!

Mel Gibson disagrees.

http://i.imgur.com/7XgXE7F.png

Sorn
07-13-2015, 08:21 PM
Mel Gibson disagrees.

http://i.imgur.com/7XgXE7F.png

The same shade of woad and everything! Matchies! <3

Sadre Spinegnawer
07-13-2015, 08:27 PM
Because on a role-play perspective, and EQ back then was about role-play first and foremost, wood elves were "barbaric" when compared to high elves. Professions such as paladins and clergy are usually spurned from "blue blood" nobility, something wood elves never assimilated into their culture.

this. wood elves are "pagan" as it were, worshipping nature. Pagan races can be druids or shamans, but not the "church" classes of cleric or paladin.

It all goes back to DnD, which in turn goes back to Tolkein....

Muggens
07-13-2015, 09:28 PM
this. wood elves are "pagan" as it were, worshipping nature. Pagan races can be druids or shamans, but not the "church" classes of cleric or paladin.

It all goes back to DnD, which in turn goes back to Tolkein....

This guy is right, I was just gonna post a rather long explanation on why a wood elf cannot be a paladin but now... Im gonna do it anyways because it gives me the excuse to talk about dungeons and dragons(Double entendre)

EQ was made by some guys who played alot of Dungeons and Dragons, which in turn(as he said) is very much inspired by Tolkien's Middle Earth mythology. The standard goes: Elves are basically one race, but split into different cultures as time goes by, now two are represented in EQ; high elf and wood elf, the latter is the one who stayed in the woods, now of course if any of those two are gonna be paladins its the high elves. So if you like Elf Paladin you can play it. He just gotta be High! Now of course this game is not 100% Tolkien, if so then no race could cast spells except the angelic/demonic.
The Scottish was called barbarians, by the Romans, infact anyone not Roman was called a barbarian, just like those of Salahudins Dynasty would call non-believers "Kuffar", its not geographically based. EQ barbarians are more of a mythological nature.
I'd say they did very well mixing it up with race and class in this game, all fitting very well in with what at least older tabletop rpg and Tolkien fans would consider a classic Fantasy world. I used to play alot of tabletops especially Dungeons and Dragons when I was younger, but nowadays that does not happen even remotely, so if I ever wanna get that good ol dungeons and dragons game on, its easy, I just play Everquest P99, its just like that except we're alot more players, and I dont have a shitty mess to clean up after everyone when the games done, you know pizza leftovers and such, it used to be like that.

PS. This would be great: Wood Elf Shamans, Erudite Monks and Warriors, Troll Iksar and Ogre Rogues(thugs, as these guys arent climbing in any windows, nor bluffing anyone), Dwarf Hobbit Barbarian and High Elf Bards. Its beyond classic.