PDA

View Full Version : Monk+Necro?

Blaiseblah
07-20-2015, 12:07 AM
Hey guys, got my brother to play and he's set on playing a Monk. I know the general consensus is to go Shaman, and while I'm not totally opposed to that, I think I'd prefer to play Necro and was wondering about the viability of this duo endgame and leveling up. Would Shaman/Monk just be leaps and bounds ahead of Necro/Monk? Also open to other Monk/whatever duo ideas.

Oleris
07-20-2015, 12:17 AM
OK leveling up in outdoor zones. snare/fear early on followed by snare/intimidation. I'd go both iksar for the extra regen to keep down time low. Once you hit around 47 (once you are done at yeti caves in DL) you will need to group. Leveling path should be FoB until 16ish ---> forest giants in WW ---> giant fort in frontier ------> yeti caves

captnamazing
07-20-2015, 01:41 AM
As Oleris says, you'll have a good time outside using snares + fear. However, the necro is a shitty buffer, as 99% of necro spells (minus patch heal and DMF) are self-only.

The shaman can buff the monk up into a killing machine, while still adding pet + DoT DPS.

Even more importantly, the shaman can slow, rendering otherwise deadly enemies a joke.

So. You can do it. But don't expect to be duoing named mobs in high end dungeons, nawmean

godbox
07-20-2015, 02:00 AM
Gonna respond to the important part of your question in a direct way. Sham /monk is not just heads and shoulders above monk / necro but whole bodies stacked on each other. it is possibly the best duo combo period and certainly while leveling.
as your first chars and since rmt seems to finally be dead on the server a monk and sham give each other all the things a twink gets. Sham gets mana free damage. Monk gets haste regeneration stats aND in creased mitigation from slow.

Blaiseblah
07-20-2015, 02:08 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm making the long trek from Oggok to Field of Bone now!

godbox
07-20-2015, 02:21 AM
Gonna be a pain to train ogre skills if your on kunark. ikky is a fine sham choice

Messie
07-20-2015, 02:33 AM
Yes - be aware (especially if this is your first toon on the server) that most people who DO end up going to fob at least stock up on their spells to their late teens / early 20s. That being said, if you have the cash, the bags, and the spells already, FoB is a great area to level and kurns exp is so fast it feels like power leveling. So if you have the means to buy the spells, I would suggest ogre. If not and your friend is an ikky, go lizard :)

webrunner5
07-20-2015, 02:54 AM
Even a Druid, Monk is not too bad till like 50. I am not too much into the Necro thingy like others have said. Necro is a Solo beast like it or not on average. :(

godbox
07-20-2015, 02:58 AM
Yes - be aware (especially if this is your first toon on the server) that most people who DO end up going to fob at least stock up on their spells to their late teens / early 20s. That being said, if you have the cash, the bags, and the spells already, FoB is a great area to level and kurns exp is so fast it feels like power leveling. So if you have the means to buy the spells, I would suggest ogre. If not and your friend is an ikky, go lizard :)

And he will have to run back to oggok to train meditate at 8

Messie
07-20-2015, 03:21 AM
And he will have to run back to oggok to train meditate at 8

ahh VERY good point. probably best to level in feerrott until 8 and then load up on spells and head to loio. a life without meditate as a caster is rough.

Blaiseblah
07-20-2015, 03:32 AM
Ah yeah didn't think about meditate. I just figured I could send my brother into Cabilis to buy my spells. Oh well already bound here :( Took me about two hours too with the OT boat not letting me in.

pharmakos
07-20-2015, 04:05 AM
necro/monk woudn't be horrible if you had your heart set on necro. it would require more outside-of-the-box thinking than shaman/monk, and overall at level 50+ it would be less powerful than shaman/monk. but still, it would be a solid duo to level with, and honestly to hell with the level 50+ game on this server. i say be quirky and go for necro/monk.

necro/monk could probably get to about level 54 just as a duo. past that you'd need to bring in a better healer to get the monk to 60. with current P99 mechanics, necros can dispell the recourse on their heal-over-time spells. this makes necros one of the most mana-efficient healers in the game. it isn't untiil you get close to level 60 that heal-over-times aren't sufficient to tackle EXP grind content.

Messie
07-20-2015, 04:05 AM
Ah yeah didn't think about meditate. I just figured I could send my brother into Cabilis to buy my spells. Oh well already bound here :( Took me about two hours too with the OT boat not letting me in.

Cabilis spell buying is very smart. Definitely do that. But, hey! At level 5 you get gate. At level 8 you get Meditate. So at 8, if you are bound in Field of Bone, try to find a ride out of there from a kind druid back to feerrott, then you can train meditate from your shaman class trainer, and afterwards gate back to Field of Bone. That's your easiest route!

You didn't screw yourself over at all. You'll be fine, just need to find a port back to Feerrott or Sro at lvl 8. Sometimes you'll see some druids show up in FoB to port a friend's newly made Iksar out, you may be able to hitch a ride.

also, send me a tell in game. Add Messie and height to your friends list, ill try to help if I'm on. I'll attempt to guilt trip a druid friend into going and picking you up :)

Blaiseblah
07-20-2015, 04:57 AM
Haha cool I appreciate it. I'll add you =)

polishanarchy
07-20-2015, 05:49 AM
Find Portlander when(ever) you need a ride out of FoB. Pretty sure that guy is perma bound there!

milsorgen
07-20-2015, 05:54 AM
...I'd go both iksar for the extra regen to keep down time low....

I'd quit playing right the fuck there, cuz what the heck is the point in being spoon fed a way to play?

Play your way, full stop.

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

kined
07-20-2015, 10:55 AM
Gonna be a pain to train ogre skills if your on kunark. ikky is a fine sham choice

woah woah... not even close. its probably one of the only class/race combos that should be entirely avoided. u will always be gimped if u choose iksar sham.

indiscriminate_hater
07-20-2015, 11:21 AM
OK leveling up in outdoor zones. snare/fear early on followed by snare/intimidation. I'd go both iksar for the extra regen to keep down time low. Once you hit around 47 (once you are done at yeti caves in DL) you will need to group. Leveling path should be FoB until 16ish ---> forest giants in WW ---> giant fort in frontier ------> yeti caves

47+ you can murder in CoM

Teppler
07-20-2015, 02:34 PM
There's some really good pros to this combo.

You never have to med. You both have fd so survivability is high.

However, when you get to the level where necro can charm, the combo gets redundant for the necro.

justin2090
07-20-2015, 06:36 PM
I could see Monk/Necro duo being decent 50+ in CoM. The necro would be pet dmg + healing and the monk is dmg + single pulls. If the Monks hp gets low just step back and let the pet take some hits while the monk gets a couple ticks of necro heal.

Once all the mobs turn green except for wraiths and greater warbones then it's group time.

Swish
07-20-2015, 07:01 PM
I could see Monk/Necro duo being decent 50+ in CoM. The necro would be pet dmg + healing and the monk is dmg + single pulls. If the Monks hp gets low just step back and let the pet take some hits while the monk gets a couple ticks of necro heal.

Once all the mobs turn green except for wraiths and greater warbones then it's group time.

The way the server is now though, it'd be kinda shitty to duo a camp that 6 people usually group at.

I'd do 49-54 in Highkeep (nobles) or doing Felwithe/Kaladim/Kelethin/etc guards, be good guys and not choke the well trodden leveling areas.

justin2090
07-21-2015, 03:00 AM
The way the server is now though, it'd be kinda shitty to duo a camp that 6 people usually group at.

I'd do 49-54 in Highkeep (nobles) or doing Felwithe/Kaladim/Kelethin/etc guards, be good guys and not choke the well trodden leveling areas.

Meh CoM isn't as well trodden as you think. Usually something is open. When I was lvl'n my monk there I would try to keep the group as small as possible. Mainly because there just isn't enough mobs in camp for a full group, and I hated having to run throughout CoM looking for something to pull.

Besides if CoM is packed then they can group and if it's not then they can claim something. If they log into whatever city/highkeep and its camped then it's time to log again.

Getsmurfed
07-21-2015, 03:10 AM
Depends on what and where you plan on playing. Necro charm + shaman is ungodly, I levelled my necro in CoM @ Moat and w/ a phantom pet the two of us were able to clear all of moat and about half the arena. There are full 6 man groups that can't do that. If you want to do really "hard" content that doesn't have undead or isn't outdoors the necro is gonna be wasted, monk shaman is better if doing shit like crypt or w/e. But if it's easier content that a tank isn't needed, necro is hands down better. Two root rot classes that feed into each other with twitch, regrowth, necro manaless heals, canni, lich, necro gets PE early @49, shaman can snare for free if troll, necro can fear for dirt cheap esp w/ staff, okayish rogue pet if outdoors fearing, blah blah list goes on. If you can bring a necro and utilize it well you'll fucking destroy content simply because 2 soloers are even better when duoing. Almost every class that can solo does even better when another soloer is added. Play what you want, but shm necro is fucking beastly if you find a place you can use all your tools in. Necro is a freak when duoing, the amount of utility they have is terrifying.

sacman08
07-21-2015, 09:40 AM
A friend and I always teamed up playing SK and Pally combo. Not very useful combo to b0x together but we were always a great team to take down mobs with.

rciv
07-22-2015, 07:08 AM
Was just owning BW giant fort with a monk last night (Necro here). So you shouldnt have an issue hitting 54-56 ish duo.

godbox
07-22-2015, 10:49 AM
Was just owning BW giant fort with a monk last night (Necro here). So you shouldnt have an issue hitting 54-56 ish duo.

How was the monks gear?

rciv
07-22-2015, 10:58 AM
It was very good. Epic etc.. But it was fear kiting so he wasn't taking a ton of hits. Sure, it would be slower with a mediocre geared monk, but the mana free dps on feared mobs and having a puller makes life easier as a necro.

godbox
07-22-2015, 12:36 PM
^that makes a huge difference. Necro monk is absolutely doable (I think OP already rerolled sham though) because necro is a solo class so any other class can be there to help him solo but it doesnt bring anything new to the table. A monk sham is a duo because the sham and monk allow each other to do things they can't do solo i.e. endlessly and safely chainpull and grind nonstop 34+. Monk is just another pet in a fear kite.